Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? (2329 Views)

Wike A Threat To Democracy, Free, Fair Elections – Amaechi / Deltans Organize "Enough Is Enough" For Ibori / Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 23, 2010
1. He presented a new budget and plans to organize a fresh voters register without seeing the possibility of working with the old data. Does this mean that as a banker, a change in leadership must mean opening a fresh register of customers?

2. At the budget presentation, he didn't sound like he had an idea of what he wanted to do with the N85bn he was demanding. How it was arrived at and what plans he had. The house hurriedly passed the budget because they claimed there was no time.

3. He has requested that election dates be changed. Didn't he get necessary commitments from vendors and all the logistics required before announcing the dates?

These are signs of someone who is unserious and probably overwhelmed with the tasks. I doubt if he can conduct free and fair elections. Its not about personal integrity but organizational skills. Conducting elections is not like conducting a semester exam.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Afam4eva(m): 10:00am On Sep 23, 2010
This message is meant for JEGA.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by wesley80(m): 1:16pm On Sep 23, 2010
dappssee:

1. He presented a new budget and plans to organize a fresh voters register without seeing the possibility of working with the old data. Does this mean that as a banker, a change in leadership must mean opening a fresh register of customers?

So u expect him to conduct a credible election with a voters register that has the likes of Mike Tyson and MKO Abiola as duly registered voters ( a la Ondo State)? F .Y .I U need a credible voters register to have a credible election.
dappssee:

2. At the budget presentation, he didn't sound like he had an idea of what he wanted to do with the N85bn he was demanding. How it was arrived at and what plans he had. The house hurriedly passed the budget because they claimed there was no time.

So what? Now he does and He's started doing it.

dappssee:

3. He has requested that election dates be changed. Didn't he get necessary commitments from vendors and all the logistics required before announcing the dates?

Maybe he didnt, mahbe he did but has found out it wont be possible and has chosen to "eat humble pie" by goin back on his word than goofing at the end - Now thats some1 thats determined to get it right.
dappssee:

These are signs of someone who is unserious and probably overwhelmed with the tasks. I doubt if he can conduct free and fair elections. Its not about personal integrity but organizational skills. Conducting elections is not like conducting a semester exam.

These are signs of some1 who is serious, maybe (just maybe)seemingly overwhelmed but ready to face the challenges squarely. I believe he can conduct free and fair elections.
This is about conducting free and fair national elections in a notoriously corrupt society not a departmental exam, the man needs our support and encouragement.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Sep 23, 2010
@Wesley: I'm sure you dont work in or have never worked with a structured organization so all these don't make sense to you. How can you prepare a budget without a plan? Besides what makes you think his registration with this race against time will be any different. If he was smart, he should have looked for a way of integrating the NPC's data and using the national ID cards as a base since he claimed he doesn't have time.

If your mechanic tells you he would need a certain amount to fix your car and doesn't know what to do with the amount he is demanding, will you consider him competent or how many times have you had arguements with people that have promised to deliver at certain times and failed. It just shows lack of vision and proper administration. Simple
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Sep 23, 2010
SIMPLY NO, JEGA= JONATHAN EBELE GOODLUCK AZIKIWE ACCORDING TO THE MOST USELESS GOVERNOR IN NIGERIA HISTORY ALAO AKALA OF OYOY STATE.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by muhsin(m): 1:48pm On Sep 23, 2010
@Poster,

Don't be that a cynic. Although we know anything like the so often repeated free, fair and credible election in Nigeria is a near to impossible task, we should cling to hope and expect the best from those responsible for the act.

I wish my dear country, Nigeria all the best.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Becomrich0: 1:51pm On Sep 23, 2010
Jega can not conduct a credible election because of the satellite pictures.

And they do want to rig the election, that is why they want the election in april so that they can quickly sown in the winner. They do this every election in Nigeria. It is the first sign of rigging election.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 23, 2010
Becomrich0:

And they do want to rig the election, that is why they want the election in april so that they can quickly sown in the winner. They do this every election in Nigeria. It is the first sign of rigging election.

I feel you my brother though that may not be true. My concern is that of a man (Jega) shooting blinding
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 23, 2010
muhsin:

@Poster,

Don't be that a cynic. Although we know anything like the so often repeated free, fair and credible election in Nigeria is a near to impossible task, we should cling to hope and expect the best from those responsible for the act.

I wish my dear country, Nigeria all the best.

I'm not cynical, just analytical. These are very obvious reasons to be concerned.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by wesley80(m): 3:26pm On Sep 23, 2010
dappssee:

@Wesley: I'm sure you dont work in or have never worked with a structured organization so all these don't make sense to you. How can you prepare a budget without a plan?

So U've worked in or currently work in a supposed structured organization where your newly appointed MD barely 3 months into his administration can prepare a "fixed budget" your organization is expected to operate with for the next 4 years? If your answer is yes then I assure you that by this time next year the only segment that will interest you in Nairaland will be the Jobs / Vacancies section. If your answer is No then you should give Jega some credit.

dappssee:

Besides what makes you think his registration with this race against time will be any different.
  You have the right to be a pessimist, I too have a right to be an Optimist with good reasons.
dappssee link=topic=518654.msg6807368#msg6807368 date=1285244752
[quote author=dappssee:

If he was smart, he should have looked for a way of integrating the NPC's data and using the national ID cards as a base since he claimed he doesn't have time.
  Now just listen to yourself speak. And you think  Jega isnt smart? how on earth would U advocate for the usage of an NPC data that makes INEC look flawless in comparison? Do u know the percentage of Nigerians that were left wondering if they were actually Nigerians by the last Census? then you dare to speak of a national ID that only 1 in 800 citizens have? Oh come on!!
  i dont know what part of the world you live in but I live in Nigeria and take it from me  for once since I've been hearing of Voters registration in this country, there is an awareness and a determination by  everyone I've come acros to not only make a difference but to be the difference and you can feel it. So if you were the Chair U'lld deny people like me the opportunity simply becos theres NO TIME? Do u hate Nigeria this much?
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 23, 2010

Now just listen to yourself speak. And you think Jega isnt smart? how on earth would U advocate for the usage of an NPC data that makes INEC look flawless in comparison? Do u know the percentage of Nigerians that were left wondering if they were actually Nigerians by the last Census? then you dare to speak of a national ID that only 1 in 800 citizens have? Oh come on!!

Integrating I said. Means he should use that as one and then go ahead with his registration of the others. Afterall they have a database which includes thumbprints.

And I insist that you must have your facts right before you present a budget whether or not you're new anywhere. Its only commonsensical.

And FYI I live in 9ja
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Africanson: 4:02pm On Sep 23, 2010
No corrupt country in the world organizes a free and fair election. Until the appointment of the INEC chairman is voided and is based on voting the INEC chairman in in the first place.

Check out the list of most corrupt countries in the world and you would find out that the most corrupt countries (at the bottom) are also those with lots of troubles namely; organizing fraudulent elections, wars, insecurity, economic problems e.t.c. See below.

Transparency international's 2009 most corrupt countries in the world.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/nov/17/corruption-index-transparency-international

NB: Don't be a cynic. Register and on election day go and vote, that your own. The more people vote the more difficult it would be to rig the election.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 23, 2010
I think we should run a two party structure (IBB would have been a hero if he had handed over to MKO)

Then the parties should not be funded by INEC. Instead it should be the other way round. The parties should fund INEC and be involved in selecting the chairman of the body
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Reference(m): 4:21pm On Sep 23, 2010
I do not think he can conduct free and fair elections because he is the product of a flawed system but he can try. And this is the most important thing. The electorate can help him if it so wishes by exposing incidents and doing so loudly. It is when he fails to take appropriate action we can question his abilities. There is crime worldwide but societies choose to how to contain their issues. That is the yard stick by which they are judged.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by bignaija(m): 4:34pm On Sep 23, 2010
yes with 2000billion naira
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by tunyus(m): 6:16pm On Sep 23, 2010
yea
i believe so much in the man.He is known to be a radical,his past record speaks for him
lets just help him with our prayers.
I personally believe so much in him
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by tunyus(m): 6:21pm On Sep 23, 2010
yea
i believe so much in the man.He is known to be a radical,his past record speaks for him
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 23, 2010
tunyus:

yea

Remember people said the same thing about Maurice Iwu when he was 'selected'
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Kay17: 8:08pm On Sep 23, 2010
We should wish the poor guy all the best
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by FrankC3: 8:26pm On Sep 23, 2010
tunyus:

yea
This is not about believing in him or not. We all wish that he does a good job. But fact has it that he was an INEC consultant under Iwu and there was no record of him protesting Iwu's modus operandi. He may be a radical but i have seen radicals fail on the field. So, on paper, there is nothing suggesting that Jega can pull this off. What can you say about an INEC umpire that changed timetables less than a month after the release of election schedules. The question is what exactly changed between then and now that made the change imperative. But lets watch and see, there is no need to get all emotional about this. And forget past record, look up Iwu's name and see who he was before INEC.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 23, 2010
Either he acts a script or not,we must stand to defend our votes this time around.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Rastamann: 8:42pm On Sep 23, 2010
Jega alone cannot organize free and fair elections. Even if he is a saint what about those working with and for him? For now in Nigeria, I wonder if a free and fair election is possible given the fact that majority of Nigerians are poor and with this massive poverty among the najority of the voters, how then can we talk of a free and fair election? God help us! OUR DESTINY IS IN OUR HANDS!
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 23, 2010
Frank-C:

This is not about believing in him or not. We all wish that he does a good job. But fact has it that he was an INEC consultant under Iwu and there was no record of him protesting Iwu's modus operandi. He may be a radical but i have seen radicals fail on the field. So, on paper, there is nothing suggesting that Jega can pull this off. What can you say about an INEC umpire that changed timetables less than a month after the release of election schedules. The question is what exactly changed between then and now that made the change imperative. But lets watch and see, there is no need to get all emotional about this. And forget past record, look up Iwu's name and see who he was before INEC.

U dey mind Nigerians. They love sloganeering a lot.

After the elections their eyes go open and all this noise go stop. Jega this, Jega that. Jega did not fall from the sky folks, he is a Nigerian like you and I and recently consulted with INEC but have no record of protest of any form during Iwu's INEC.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Olarogba: 10:15pm On Sep 23, 2010
The praise and trust for this Jega by Nigerian is unprecedented for any public official in this country. It is as if activists or lecturers are angels or saints. We are all living witnesses to their numerous atrocities in our tertiary institutions. I know soon, b4 or immediately after this general election Prof. Jega will become Prof. Jagajaga.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by desktop: 10:21pm On Sep 23, 2010
This is just like that movie 'Repo-Men' Jega is a radical . . . The commissioner heading the eastern zone is a no non sense man (would come on TV most saturday mornings and talk about how the govt did this and did not do that)now they themselves became part of the govt. . . story wan begin change.
my question is this, where they aware of the job &what was expected before accepting it? Now they want to change the constitution just cos they feel theres a justifiable reason (isnt that the same thing all the other govt officials they once criticized always tried to do?)
or they feel because they are radicals they would come in like Rambo guns blazing and then just change everything over night even the constitution?

I swear the more i think of this the more i laugh, these guys just came out of the blues believing that cos theyre radicals they can do plenty things LWKMD even in nature, free radicals. . .i think i should leave that for everyone to google and see how the body deals with them or do they think this a class room where cos the title prof forebears their names the whole students will be shaking?
Three months to the election nothing has started happening except all the noise before now of how we need Billions for the election, how come they didnt raise the issue for time then, even wiser still before shouting for money?
Funds don enter hand na voicemail be the next thing, they should even be sued for trying to breach their contract
Lets keep joking, sebi Tai solarin did the same?after he was given a position in govt he started wearing trouser and then the govt was good.
Lets go there. . .
Let the radicals do their bit, then the body will take care of itself. . .
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by Tolulop001(f): 10:24pm On Sep 23, 2010
Becomrich0:

this guy! u have come again. roll out the maps grin grin grin
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by ogbongzky(m): 10:30pm On Sep 23, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Either he acts a script or not,we must stand to defend our votes this time around.

What's your plan on how we can defend our votes?, do we really have votes to defend?
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by mrkoma2012: 11:03pm On Sep 23, 2010
no!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by xterra2(m): 12:10am On Sep 24, 2010
I believe he can only if the election dates gets shifted and any thing he demands he gets
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by ahidjo: 4:30am On Sep 24, 2010
Nigerians will never know any better. The first sign of a man's competence is his ability to make sense when he talks as well as his ability to be creative. So far I have not seen any creativity in Jega, neither have I seen him articulate and convincing when speaking. Professor Humphrey Nwosu excelled in these areas. That's why he succeeded despite working under a criminal Babangida regime. Being a radical does not make one effective, efficient and competent. It is only in Nigeria that we use irrelevant factors to qualify people. Having integrity has no relationship with being efficient or as the poster put it, having organisational ability. The Jega I have observed, lack this despite the billions that have been provided for him.
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by kosovo(m): 4:32am On Sep 24, 2010
was anyone thinking JEGA could perform magic? cheesy can't wait for the usual outcry form Nigerians . . .
JEGA is just a confused fellow, but his Nigeria Trait will not make him seek resignation!
Re: Can Jega Organize Free And Fair Elections? by FrankC3: 8:38am On Sep 24, 2010
He just started inspecting INEC physical infrastructure in Calabar yesterday and you need to see buckets collecting water inside the offices. I now start wondering where he plans for his DDC machines to be kept. Maybe, he will bring another budget.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Gov. Saraki Defeated By Dr Ibrahim Yahaya Oloriegbe ((acn) / Nairaland Stop Encouraging Tribalism And Pay Homage To Emeka Emeagwali. / Breaking News:tombia Bridge In Bayelsa Blown Apart.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.