Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,433 members, 7,812,284 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? (7604 Views)

Poll: Is It Worth Celebrating?

Yes: 34% (33 votes)
No: 65% (63 votes)
This poll has ended

Lagos At 50: Ambode Gives Soyinka Appointment (photos) / Is Democracy Worth Celebrating In Nigeria? / Is This Democracy Day Worth Celebrating In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 24, 2010
adetoru:

It's worth praying for.
You said it all. But still I think we need to celebrate a lil'.

It depends on how you look at the Glass of Water - Half full or Half empty
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by NaijaSisi(f): 4:51pm On Sep 24, 2010
sad, that's how i feel when I think of Nigeria sometimes, in fact i feel like  cry
Only God can help and save us.
It's sad to think a large population of a nation do not think it worth celebrating the 50th anniversary of its independence sad
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by madoba: 5:08pm On Sep 24, 2010
Personally i think Naija is worth celebrating, though I agree with some posters that @ 50 we are still crawling as a nation, there are a few good things to celebrate.

1. We have more univeristies now than we did at the time of independence and quite a number of them are really good.

2. Good road networks in big cities and even in my home town at least my Governor has given our state a face lift.

3. Splendid places like the Obudu cattle ranch and mambila hills

4. Portable water in some rural areas (at least in my home town, can't speak for the entire nation)

5. Free HIV drugs in FMC's (Federal Medical Centers) across the nation. I remeber a time when the price of those drugs were mind boggling

6. The BRT buses in Lagos and the similar ones they have in Abuja

7. Maurice Iwu's removal as INEC chairman

8. Michael Aondoakaa's exit from office etc etc

I am sure some of you can add a few good things to this list and find a reason to celebrate Naija as a nation and not just the 1st of October
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by Rastamann: 5:17pm On Sep 24, 2010
What is Nigeria celebrating? If at 50 years, Nigeria still does not have a head way then Nigeria should commit sucide.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by Reference(m): 5:27pm On Sep 24, 2010
No. There are a few other things we could be doing that day, celebrating is certainly not one of them. It is very risky. You can imagine how silly it will look in another fifty years. Our children and grand children laughing at us. Reflection is a better word. Opportunity for reconstruction is another. I expect our leaders to be out in the townships, the villages, on the streets mobilising Nigerians to take their destiny in their hands and leading the desperate struggle for survival from the front. You don't do that with cake in your mouth and a bottle of Dom Perignon. Its insulting. I'm in Abuja right now just hoping and praying one of those old, rusted Russian attack helicopters buzzing around dosen't falter on my little abode.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by dejilam(m): 5:35pm On Sep 24, 2010
For this i would not vote for Jonathan in the coming Election.Why should he approve approve such an amount for a mere celebration when over N20 million of the Nigerian youths are jobless and the number is increasing by the day. embarassed embarassed embarassedI had the believe that he was the man we needed in this country but that is no more. Infact looking at the group of people at the presidential announcement.Its just a case of show me your fr54iends and i'll tell you who you are.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by eros(m): 5:51pm On Sep 24, 2010
There is nothing worth celebrating as Nigeria turns 50. angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by Dolemite(f): 5:58pm On Sep 24, 2010
A country that can't even solve it's most basic problem of waste management, I'm not celebrating.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by sley4life(m): 6:22pm On Sep 24, 2010
i dont think so.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by Prince22(m): 6:37pm On Sep 24, 2010
cry cry cry cry cry No! Noo!! Nooo!!!, What are you celeberating?, with corruption at high level, No light, Bad roads, Economic downsizing, Harassment's to humanity, Tention everywhere, jobnessless to young school leaver, hunger, poverty unrest. Nothing is working well in this country.
Fellow Nairalanders, Naija@50 celebration is another means of wasting this country's resources[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by bodrin(m): 6:51pm On Sep 24, 2010
nothing is worth celebrating, nigerian what is d content of the celebration? is it the new 50 naira notes that much will be expended on. what does the past ceretn did and what wil the coming one do. nothing. what individual are celebrating is personal achievements,

should i be celebrating the billion that will be shared amongst the criminal?

nigerian needs 7 days concensus dry fasting to cry to go against the enemy of nigerian before the independence, i swear you will hear cry in their houses. grin grin grin

all the looters will be there to to celebrating theiryears of stealing without hinderance.

i think jonathan is a God sent but he fails to realise, i wonder who would make nigeria better. he chosen for a purpose
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by mercy307(m): 7:25pm On Sep 24, 2010
I think there is nothing wrong in the celebrating it. However, it is important to celebrate aright and to remember the enormous challenges facing us while we celebrate. In this regard I thank the churches who are organizing thanksgiving services to God for helping us thus far. Our leaders should also use the opportunity this occasion presents to eschew corruption, selfishness, greed and avarice and concentrate on programmes that will better the conditions of an average Nigerian, provide more job opportunities for our teeming jobless youths and make more dividends of democracy available to Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by ebeledi(m): 7:55pm On Sep 24, 2010
no its not worth celebrating, we have to DECOLONIZE nigeria and shape it back to its ORIGINAL nations. nigeria has over 1oo countries inside it, if we do that "nigeria" would be a better place.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by PastorOla1: 7:57pm On Sep 24, 2010
Where  there is life there HOPE, There is hope for Nigeria!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by pjo: 9:19pm On Sep 24, 2010
This should be a period for sober reflection.
fifty years is not fifty days.all the while,we've had leaders that are unwilling to develop our
dear country and empower the youth despite having every needed resources at their disposal.
But all thesame, we should pray,cos a have a dream.
A dream that Nigeria will be great.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by labiyemmy(m): 9:33pm On Sep 24, 2010
Go and check all other countries where there had been war and dis integration and come back to ask again if Nigeria is worth celebrating -

What is happening in Nigeria is not new, it happens elsewhere, why blame yourself or ourselves as if it is not a challenge to be a nation. We may not be there yet, but with strong faith and resolve to do what e can as individuals - we will get there.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by 1102(m): 9:57pm On Sep 24, 2010
The JETS that fly across my house since last week thursday

Don make me tire

nah the noise dey wake me every morning go work everyday since last week thursday

Make the oct 1st even come pass sef, make i fit dey sleep well dey late enter work sef~
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by asunaobi(m): 11:06pm On Sep 24, 2010
50 years of stupidity! A scalar quantity, great magnitude with no direction. It sucks!
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by Theblessed(f): 11:23pm On Sep 24, 2010
[b][size=18pt]No, there's nothing to celebrate! And, what's there to be celebrated?  Corruption? Nepotism? Stagnancy? Lack of infrastructures? High unemployment? Deprivation? Intimidation? Political killings etc, eh?? No, it's foolish to celebrate the number 50 when there's nothing to show for it.  No evidence of any achievements in the past 50yrs - go on, show us! 

Our railway lines are still the way the British handed it over to us in 1960's.  Our telephone lines are still the same as they left it (Ah, the ol' NITEL, how is she doing? Thank God no one had yet blown the place up this decade to cover up their corruption - FIRE, Fire, get the Fire Brigade!!!! cool cool cool cool

Our Electricity nko? Ah, Jonathan had shown us there can be light and there was light. grin grin grin And our Healthcare? Don't even go there!!! Our Educational system? Laughable! And our Roads? Get the dingy to cross over the other end and resume your journey! What about our tap water? A beg o o o, you don dig your own borehole? And for the poor who can not afford the cost of all these? Sorio o o o o! 

Yes, na this be the progress we should be celebrating? Shame!!!!

Well, whoever it is that is proposing celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Nigerian Independence please, stop mocking at Nigerians because, the world is watching and laughing at us! If you don't know what else to do with what is left of our money please, let it lie je je je there and, stop making a scene of our unclothedness!! angry angry angry
[/size][/b]
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by Theblessed(f): 11:26pm On Sep 24, 2010
[size=18pt]Mistake! Sorrio o o![/size]
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by GAR3TH(m): 11:57pm On Sep 24, 2010
nigeria just like a family. . .through good times and bad you are always family. you might fight and argue, but you are always family. we are nigerians and on october 1st we are celebrating the day when we became nigerians. we are not celebrating corruption, not bad governance but  rather us, the nigerian family. naija 4 life smiley

and F%#k all you anti nigeria trolls angry
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by labiyemmy(m): 12:14am On Sep 25, 2010
It is amazing how we as a people wish evil and calamity upon our country - albeit on ourselves. Some pray for war, some pray for dis integration, some pray for complete wipe out of the country Nigeria, but some are wiser.

So, we are 50 now, what do you wish for our country, the only country we have (except you have dual citizenship, in which case you can wish her all negative things).

For me, I love Naija so much - my prayer daily is for things to get better - for the people to do what they can to make the country even greater.

SO - POP THE CHAMPAGNE.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by Becomrich0: 12:15am On Sep 25, 2010
not where we should be, but we are badly do badly.  The only think I see as blessing is the city of abuja. we need new FCT.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by Ranoscky(m): 4:28am On Sep 25, 2010
I'v said it before, and i'll say it again,

Can u imagin wia dey asked all ALIGATORS to com out, and a LIZARD also came out, sayin afterall, he also has tail? undecided
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by samdigo(m): 5:28am On Sep 25, 2010
as a nation, we r still preety young, and for such a young country, there are a lot of possitives, eg, impprovements in lagos state, abuja, great music, great people, great infrastructure(in some areas), nollywood, peace keeping forces all over africa, oil, relative peace(despite ouw diverse nature), flying eagles(not super eagles), our inteligence, etc, we are truely a great nation, with a bright future, watch out for nigeria in 10 years i tell you, people from all over the world are gonna wanna become nigerians
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by shockreaction(m): 5:42am On Sep 25, 2010
No, there is absolutely nothing to celebrate. Moving on.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by TmeD0(m): 8:39am On Sep 25, 2010
celebrate? what are we celebrating again? **scratches head**

oh, independence? 

naija is independent?   undecided
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by opabukun(m): 8:51am On Sep 25, 2010
This call for celebration?
1.A whole family on a bike @50years of indipendence!
2.No law enforcement agent to redress the situation!!
3.The man is even a king to own a bike(best amongst equal)!!!
4.Freedom of e-tin.No law to check his hyper-population even wen it is evident he cant cater for his geometrical progressive family!!!
more please,

Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by steadymind(m): 9:42am On Sep 25, 2010
@labiyemmy:

It is amazing how we as a people wish evil and calamity upon our country - albeit on ourselves. Some pray for war, some pray for dis integration, some pray for complete wipe out of the country Nigeria, but some are wiser.

So, we are 50 now, what do you wish for our country, the only country we have (except you have dual citizenship, in which case you can wish her all negative things).

For me, I love Naija so much - my prayer daily is for things to get better - for the people to do what they can to make the country even greater.

SO - POP THE CHAMPAGNE.

I believe Nigeria's major problem is "Prayer". we siddon look, take no action, pray and hope for the best.
We hire a mediocre Coach for Tired Super Eagles and Pray they do well at the world Cup.
Pray Nepa Gets better
Pray Hitech finish the lekki Epe expressway soon and pray the toll burden is not too much
Pray we are able to dodge every pothole between lagos and Ibadan
Pray We get the best leaders that wont steal money. we dont care if its jonathan or any other joker

We need to stop praying and take action!.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by Vidamia(m): 10:38am On Sep 25, 2010
the purpose of our celebration is that we don't kidnap foreigners any more but ourselves.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by ada24: 11:15am On Sep 25, 2010
madoba:

Personally i think Naija is worth celebrating, though I agree with some posters that @ 50 we are still crawling as a nation, there are a few good things to celebrate.

1. We have more univeristies now than we did at the time of independence and quite a number of them are really good.

2. Good road networks in big cities and even in my home town at least my Governor has given our state a face lift.

3. Splendid places like the Obudu cattle ranch and mambila hills

4. Portable water in some rural areas (at least in my home town, can't speak for the entire nation)

5. Free HIV drugs in FMC's (Federal Medical Centers) across the nation. I remeber a time when the price of those drugs were mind boggling

6. The BRT buses in Lagos and the similar ones they have in Abuja

7. Maurice Iwu's removal as INEC chairman

8. Michael Aondoakaa's exit from office etc etc

I am sure some of you can add a few good things to this list and find a reason to celebrate Naija as a nation and not just the 1st of October

u know that if you have to celebrate the fact that in 2010 some places have protable water then we are in real trouble. don't u see that this is not normal

even if we have 1million universities in Nigeria it does not address the unemployment problem or the fact that once u leave the shores of Nigeria ur degree is not really valued unless u top it up with something else.
Re: Nigeria At 50: Is It Worth Celebrating? by anonimi: 11:47am On Sep 25, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Clashes In Plateau Leaves 48 Dead / Nigeria To Float Development Bank – Buhari / Gov. Ugwuanyi's Intense Door-to-door Campaign Continues...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.