Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,677 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? (18183 Views)

Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju / Can Black Magic(juju)be Sent To Someone Abroad / Juju/black Magic In Nigeria - Blood Money And Spiritual Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 1:31pm On Sep 28, 2010
and to be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect of a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and improved by hundreds of anonymous authors, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to each other, spanning nine centuries.

And since Dinosaurs were on this earth long before man, whose image were they created?
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by IBEXY(m): 1:37pm On Sep 28, 2010
Discussions like this are bound to end up being a haggle between bible carriers and the rest of us. Why do we have to judge this by bible standards? Who said juju (if it exists) symbolises darkness or or evil. Even though I never had a first had experience and I dont believe it exists, I have heard as well a lot of "dem say" good things about juju.

My opinion, juju is a hype propagated by greedy medicine men intent on building some sort of career for themselves.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 1:40pm On Sep 28, 2010
And dont even get me started on the bibile, much of which is just plain weird, as you would expect of a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and 'improved' by hundreds of anonymous authors, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to each other, spanning nine centuries.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Meddler(f): 1:41pm On Sep 28, 2010
bermuda1:

One of the main reasons why we Africans have remained in darkness is that people are willing to believe anything they are told without bothering to check if its possible. we are to scared to check anything out just in case something may happen

I bet you if this jazz truly existed ,"Oyibo" would have found a way to market it. It is this same jazz that "oyibo" used left leg to scatter in Benin. Some people will tell you that Jazz does not affect oyibo. How silly.

Sometimes I wonder, if everybody is afraid of his neighbour jazzing him, who is actually doing the jazz? like people have stated here all the information is second-hand and all the people turning to snake and goat is usually young women.

If someone can take me to a proper jazzman that can prove that jazz works, I will hammer big time. If they say jazz makes money, what is the use of us exporting oil in Naija? if you sentence someone to death for armed robbery, instead of firing squad let us carry him to jazzman so that they can use his head to make money for the state abi? that one is even good source of foreign exchange as Nigeria will be helping other countries to execute people

like posters earlier, their is evil and there are evil people. You can mix poisons and concoctions for someone to eat/drink/rub and the person will come to harm. but if you say that if you bring human head and dollars will start reigning, that is mumbo jumbo

Amen brother!. Jazz ko, hip hop ni. Nigerians can be so irrational and every body will be swearing to u up and down that juju/jazz is very real.
I was reading one of the newspaper, I think it's Punch, and they were reporting about how armed robbers attacked a pastor in the church. According to their "eye witness" account, the armed robbers fired numerous shots and none hit the pastor. When that failed they went after the pastor with a machete but none of the robbers were able to cut the pastor with their knife.

At this point I had to check and make sure i was reading an actual newspaper and not some fictional article lololol.

DonOvero:

LOL exactly,  If JUJU existed it is typical for Africans to mismanage it. The 'Oyibo' would have marketed it and sold it back to us for twice the price!

Hang on, Maybe Bill Gates did that and look at him now,  if that was an African, instead of aiming big he uses it to make his enemy end up in a tree LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHA  smiley smiley smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 1:50pm On Sep 28, 2010
Meddler:

Amen brother!. Jazz ko, hip hop ni. Nigerians can be so irrational and every body will be swearing to u up and down that juju/jazz is very real.
I was reading one of the newspaper, I think it's Punch, and they were reporting about how armed robbers attacked a pastor in the church. According to their "eye witness" account, the armed robbers fired numerous shots and none hit the pastor. When that failed they went after the pastor with a machete but none of the robbers were able to cut the pastor with their knife.

At this point I had to check and make sure i was reading an actual newspaper and not some fictional article lololol.

HAHAHA, this pastor should interest armies the world over. He is superman. The pastor should next time use his powers to stop the robbers from entering the church. would save on time. again typical of Nigerians they cant even rob well now!!
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Meddler(f): 1:59pm On Sep 28, 2010
that's exactly what I said. We've found superman in Nigeria lolol. And we thought that stuff like this only happened in comics hahahaha.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 2:03pm On Sep 28, 2010
Sorry, not superman, We have found, Neo, the one! "are you saying I can dodge bullets?" "I am saying, when the time comes, you won't have to"
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 2:11pm On Sep 28, 2010
only in the minds of the ignorants who think it does.

If someone can show me real quantifiable and verifiable proof of Juju, I shall continue to mock those who believe in it.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by labiyemmy(m): 2:18pm On Sep 28, 2010
Vpersie- Poster

Please answer this question honestly.

Where were you born and where did you grow up and how long have you been away from the country?
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 2:19pm On Sep 28, 2010
tensor777:

Overo, I suspect that it is not belief in primitive juju that is your main issue but lack of belief in God.

There is something infantile in the presumption that somebody else has a responsibility to give your life meaning and point… The truly adult view, by contrast, is that our life is as meaningful, as full and as wonderful as we choose to make it.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 2:35pm On Sep 28, 2010
Evidence for infinity? Where would that be?

I have no problem with people who worship God, Satan etc or those who believe in religion and JUJU, but I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. Religion is about turning untested belief into unshakable truth through the power of institutions and the passage of time.

I relish debates and by all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.

I grew up in London after 2 years in Nigeria.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Ericology(m): 2:36pm On Sep 28, 2010
I dont want to argue for or against this topic cuz i hate fighting over what i can hardly understand, i ve had many reasons to believe and disbelieve in juju or even God atimes but certain things that happened b4 my eyes have made me keep quiet whenever such issues arise,
For those who dont believe i have 3 questions, during Buhari regimes when i was abt 10yrs,,,,armed robbers were shot in their village squares and i witnessed one who was shot several times without the bullets penetrating until the commander rushed into the nearby farm, plucked a fresh palm frond,, tied on the tip of the gun barrel, muttered some rubbish hit the barrel on the ground and released a shot which tore thru the robbers heart and killed him,,,, so,,
, what really happened? why didnt the other bullets penetrate?, dont tell me they were rubber bullets cuz we little kids picked them after and played with them,
2, One man back in the village had a plantation of fruits near our elementary school and we always finished the fruits b4 he cld get them, then we suddenly noticed that every pupil who went in there to steal came out with rashes on his body including me lol  but it never happened to any member of his family, this made us to stay clear .lol--
      3, Our traditional ruler died yrs back during the peak of raining reason and to bury him,,, they gathered the so called rain makers and rain stoppers, lol to our greatest surprise there were heavy rains everywhere including our town but the sun was shining only on his few thousand sq miles  village, lol, all these are not heresay, i witnessed them so pls guys,,, enlighten me, i am not saying they were juju works but explain pls, thanks
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Ofido(m): 2:42pm On Sep 28, 2010
@ Every body in the house; lets 1st of define the word JUJU or call it JAZZ,or u can call it BABALAWO or TRADITIONAL MEDICINE or NATIVE DOCTOR:::: Actually this is the use of root and tubers(herbs) in conjuction with the spirit of our forefather's & someother spirits (i.e supernatural)moving around the earth to cause GOOD or BAD.
Coming back to the poster and his question: JAZZ or the presence of supernatural spirits do and very much exist and its real.
It do really exist but God is above all of them,God takes upper hand. This supernatural spirits,all of them takes authority from God that is why no matter wat any one of them wants to do,if God did not approve,it wil not happen.the activities of every one of them passes thru the table of the Almigthy God for approval because it is God that created them.
How can u explain this pple that are holding rain or they cause rain to fall in our igbo land. On july 19th i buried my grand father and just because we did not settle one of the juju priest dat is holding rain,the priest made the rain to be falling only in our compound but go to the next compound and see sun.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by hilli666(m): 2:44pm On Sep 28, 2010
It amazing that people are quick to dismiss the existence of JuJu, a practice that has been proven dates back even before Christ himself walked the earth. We belive the bible stories when moses parted the Red Sea, the talking burning bushes, and sticks turning into snakes. In ever religion there are alway stories of some impossible feats happening, e.t.c angels appearing, people flying, or living in other elements such as fire and water. We blacks are quick to accept if, if the illustration has a white man in a beard behind it. But when it a black baba alawo, the we are quick to dismiss it. JuJu I once had pins  and nails and some bone like structure put into me at a masqurade festival in a small village called Ashaka in delta. The local priest had to give me a bath at night and wash all this stuff out of me. In front of my mother, brother, girlfriend and daugter nails were coming out of me. Please belive Juju is real if it hasnt happend to you then thank your God and stay away! It is nothing to be curious about.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by SCYLLA: 2:45pm On Sep 28, 2010
Ericology:

I dont want to argue for or against this topic cuz i hate fighting over what i can hardly understand, i ve had many reasons to believe and disbelieve in juju or even God atimes but certain things that happened b4 my eyes have made me keep quiet whenever such issues arise,
For those who dont believe i have 3 questions, during Buhari regimes when i was abt 10yrs,,,,armed robbers were shot in their village squares and i witnessed one who was shot several times without the bullets penetrating until the commander rushed into the nearby farm, plucked a fresh palm frond,, tied on the tip of the gun barrel, muttered some rubbish hit the barrel on the ground and released a shot which tore thru the robbers heart and killed him,,,, so,,
, what really happened? why didnt the other bullets penetrate?, dont tell me they were rubber bullets cuz we little kids picked them after and played with them,
2, One man back in the village had a plantation of fruits near our elementary school and we always finished the fruits b4 he cld get them, then we suddenly noticed that every pupil who went in there to steal came out with rashes on his body including me lol  but it never happened to any member of his family, this made us to stay clear .lol--
      3, Our traditional ruler died yrs back during the peak of raining reason and to bury him,,, they gathered the so called rain makers and rain stoppers, lol to our greatest surprise there were heavy rains everywhere including our town but the sun was shining only on his few thousand sq miles  village, lol,  all these are not heresay,  i witnessed them so pls guys,,, enlighten me, i am not saying they were juju works but explain pls,  thanks
1. Your story does not check out, I can bet my life it was hearsay, no one would allow a ten year old child to go watch a public shooting, number  goes down as a lie for me. Trust me because I grew up in warri and we were the cheif mongers of dem shoot am e no enter, I have even gone to a babalawo's shop to get cut and bounce- so read my lips nothing like that ever worked with a sharp knife of course we tested with blunt knives and when you are hit with the machete instead of a cut the place just swells - fact!
2. There are many leaves that can cause irritation and rashes and did it occur to you that the man had an antidote? think again abeg
3. GEEEEEEZZZZZ did you ever do rainfall in secondary school??

1 Like

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by SCYLLA: 2:47pm On Sep 28, 2010
hilli666:

It amazing that people are quick to dismiss the existence of JuJu, a practice that has been proven dates back even before Christ himself walked the earth. We belive the bible stories when moses parted the Red Sea, the talking burning bushes, and sticks turning into snakes. In ever religion there are alway stories of some impossible feats happening, e.t.c angels appearing, people flying, or living in other elements such as fire and water. We blacks are quick to accept if, if the illustration has a white man in a beard behind it. But when it a black baba alawo, the we are quick to dismiss it. JuJu I once had pins  and nails and some bone like structure put into me at a masqurade festival in a small village called Ashaka in delta. The local priest had to give me a bath at night and wash all this stuff out of me. In front of my mother, brother, girlfriend and daugter nails were coming out of me. Please belive Juju is real if it hasnt happend to you then thank your God and stay away! It is nothing to be curious about.
Not everybody believes in them either.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 2:50pm On Sep 28, 2010
Ericology:

I don't want to argue for or against this topic cuz i hate fighting over what i can hardly understand, i ve had many reasons to believe and disbelieve in juju or even God atimes but certain things that happened b4 my eyes have made me keep quiet whenever such issues arise,
      3, Our traditional ruler died yrs back during the peak of raining reason and to bury him,,, they gathered the so called rain makers and rain stoppers, lol to our greatest surprise there were heavy rains everywhere including our town but the sun was shining only on his few thousand sq miles  village, lol, all these are not heresay, i witnessed them so pls guys,,, enlighten me, i am not saying they were juju works but explain pls, thanks
I will cover you first question and continue if you want me to.

1) Absent full facts, you were 10 years old! Human memory is fallible and has been known to degrade over time( Google search one of my lectures, Tim Valentine and cognitive psychology) You are also quite capable of filling in any blanks in your memory with tales that were told to you from other children, parents elders etc over time.

I also do not put much faith into the harp shooting ability and skills of the village commanders nor the reliability of their weapons. Evident by tying palm fond to the barrel and hitting the gun on the ground probably to correct its firing mechanism and he probably said "I beg God, Please make this nonsense useless weapon work oh!!! I no won die for stupid amm(sic) robbers oh"
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by hilli666(m): 2:52pm On Sep 28, 2010
SCYLLA:

Not everybody believes in them either.

Which is good! It is not my intention to convience people to belive in the occult. I myself sometimes think maybe it was all a hoax. But the pain of needles in me was all to real, that I would never forget. Been raised in the west, i was a sceptic it took one trip to Nigeria to become a beliver. Now I take it seriously when anybody threathens me we JUJU (I immediately appologize)
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by mrrock: 2:53pm On Sep 28, 2010
@all

Juju exist but don't believe it as you would be dependent on it, the more you believe it the more it would work for you. It's the more you look the less you see just like every other believe example; believing in the bible, koran e.t.c

Anybody saying juju don't exist don't know facts.

For those of you saying whiteman this whiteman that be informed whiteman don't know everything so don't know a thing about African juju. Whiteman have no clue about juju because they believe anything not scientifically proven is not a fact. That's a BIG lie!!!
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 2:54pm On Sep 28, 2010
tensor777:

Well the universe itself for one.I suspected as much. The truth is we are all to a greateror lesser extent creatures of our environment which shapes our world view.

No doubt you have been subjected to a barrage of concerted, coercive atheistic propaganda from the newspapers, the BBC and other ubiquitous media.

Nevertheless, it is up you to take cognisance of this fact and come to the knowledge of the Truth.

The universe is not evidence of infinity, it had a start and it Will have an end. That is a scientific fact. as far as growing up in London and being subjected to the barrage of etc, it could be said of all. But I base my reason on verifiable fact.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by 15: 2:58pm On Sep 28, 2010
very young in my life, my uncle stole and gave me sweet out of the money and juju was brought in, my tongue came out very long out of my mouth

I have other stories to tell,

If you say Juju does not exist; WHOEVER YOU ARE A FOOL -i'm sorry its not an insult!  
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by hilli666(m): 2:59pm On Sep 28, 2010
My emoticon is originally yellow, but when I put on my dark Juju glases then I will automatically change to green.  cool
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by lyndadev: 2:59pm On Sep 28, 2010
@All,
if u believe good exists, then u must believe evil exist.
The truth is that juju exists,some more powerful than others.
The more powerful it is,the more side-effect or negative impact  it has that is why juju is not available to every tom,dick and harry and that is why some jazz masters have more powers than others.
You can even analyse this topic using western medicine,There are OTC and general purpose  drugs with little to mild side effects(similar to jazz for stopping rainfall) and there are drugs you can only get after a team of doctors deem it fit 2 administer cos u they are not readily available(similar to jazz for stopping bullets and my favourite one,the one used to call back guyz in diaspora,LOL)
The truth is Jazz exists but not everyone has access to it.
And one thing i know for sure is that the effect of jazz cannot pass thru the sky meaning man can only make rain to fall but cannot cause day to turn to night
or influence other part of our solar system to act in a way different from normal.
So all you guyz outside naija,don't get 2 confortable saying Jazz does not exist.
It's like saying God does not exist because you cannot see him.
One more thing,I noticed Jazz works faster on guys who believe in it for they are regular targets  than in does who do not believe it exist.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 2:59pm On Sep 28, 2010
My objection to supernatural beliefs is precisely that they miserably fail to do justice to the sublime grandeur of the real world. They represent a narrowing-down from reality, an impoverishment of what the real world has to offer.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by damas11111(m): 3:00pm On Sep 28, 2010
Juju exists. E ma deeja.

Even the "whites" acknowledges that there is Juju. If not what informs the making of "horror movies" and "Harry porter" series.

Though it is not something very common nowadays but do not say that juju does not exist. There are terrestrial power and it is confirmed in my Quran (as a Muslim) and  I believe it is mentioned in the Bible as well.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by 15: 3:03pm On Sep 28, 2010
Have you ever been pressed to suffocation while sleeping?,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Meet Oba Solomon Dele Owoniyi, The New Obaro Of Kabba / Igboukwu Art In Comparison To Ife Art - Taught By Exotic / What Is English Name For "obokun" Fish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.