Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? (18202 Views)

Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju / Can Black Magic(juju)be Sent To Someone Abroad / Juju/black Magic In Nigeria - Blood Money And Spiritual Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:06pm On Sep 28, 2010
100%:

Have you ever been pressed to suffocation while sleeping?,

My friend I did my dissertation on this as I suffered from this, google search sleep paralysis
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:08pm On Sep 28, 2010
This is what I mean, simple things like sleep paralysis which was explained to me by my parents and elders as a witch who was suffocating me lived with me till I was educated about it.

Now imagine I lived in the village in Nigeria and did not get an education and had children and passed on my belief on the matter and there you go, superstition lives on.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:10pm On Sep 28, 2010
tensor777:

That is not juju. That is a satanic attack. It does not even mean that you are being attacked with juju.

Tensor, you are an idiot. How can you call this a satanic attack. This backward thinking makes my blood boil. Do some research first before you spout rubbish.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by hilli666(m): 3:10pm On Sep 28, 2010
DonOvero:

My friend I did my dissertation on this as I suffered from this, google search sleep paralysis
I have to agree with you on this one. I too suffered a couple of times from this and consulting with my mother on the issue did not help one bit. As far as she was concerned I had to watch my back as some witches of nefarious persons were after me. However, when I researched it on google, it turned out to be sleep paralysis! Now when it happens I dont panic and start screaming Jesus like a mad man. I just wait for my brain to catch  up to my nerves and muscle, once both are in sync then i can move. wink
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by SCYLLA: 3:11pm On Sep 28, 2010
Don overo can you give me links to more of your lectures I am particularly obsessed about psychology  grin grin
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Top9jajamz: 3:15pm On Sep 28, 2010
100%:

Have you ever been pressed to suffocation while sleeping?,

Out of the millions of juju cases,you choose the pressing in sleep one,
My bros there's a scientific explanation to that so count that one out
Lets talk about cases where someone wants to travel out,gets all his documents ready,decides to celebrate with friends,goes clubbing,shares his property amongst friends then all of a sudden 'they strike'.The guy comes down with a strange ailment,the doctors conduct all the known medical test in the profession but couldn't find anything medically wrong with him but physically the guy is paralysed,within 2 weeks the guy emaciates to a stage where you see his bones through his skin,after 2wks,3days the guy dies.
how do you explain that?

Let medical doctors and those practising in the health field come out here and say juju does not exist then i'll rest my case.
for they are the ones who witness incidents like this first hand.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:16pm On Sep 28, 2010
SCYLLA:

Don overo can you give me links to more of your lectures I am particularly obsessed about psychology  grin grin

It was over 6 years ago but if you need books etc, let me check my library and refer some to you.

Nigeria, re-phrase, Africa will not climb out of the jungle until deep seated beliefs like this are quashed. Education is key. Read my post on Nigerian politics. I have a 10 year plan to run for office.

I am tired of the uneducated.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:22pm On Sep 28, 2010
Top9jajamz:

Out of the millions of juju cases,you choose the pressing in sleep one,
My bros there's a scientific explanation to that so count that one out
Lets talk about cases where someone wants to travel out,gets all his documents ready,decides to celebrate with friends,goes clubbing,shares his property amongst friends then all of a sudden they strike.The guy comes down with a strange ailment,the doctors conduct all the known medical test in the profession but couldn't find anything medically wrong with him but physically the guy is paralysed,within 2 weeks the guy emaciates to a stage where you see his bones through his skin,after 2wks,3days the guy dies.
how do you explain that?

Let medical doctors and those practising in the health field come out here and say juju does not exist then I'll rest my case.
for they are the ones who witness incidents like this first hand.

Top9, lack of rational explanation does not mean there is not one. You simply don't reason well i don't know what caused that so therefore it is JUJU'

this is not sound thinking. You perpetuate this nonsense without thinking of the ramification, this line of thinking is a short step away from elders blaming the children of witchcraft due to an unforeseen illness or death in the family, compound or village. Disgusting
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by malone5923(m): 3:23pm On Sep 28, 2010
I wrote an article on sleep paralysis recently on my Facebook page. Let me see if I can get the public link.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by hilli666(m): 3:23pm On Sep 28, 2010
tensor777:

You better stop this unhealthy obsession with psychology and learn the real thing.

Why?? I studied Phycology in college and thought it was absolutely interesting!!

DonOvero:

It was over 6 years ago but if you need books etc, let me check my library and refer some to you.

Nigeria, re-phrase, Africa will not climb out of the jungle until deep seated beliefs like this are quashed. Education is key. Read my post on Nigerian politics. I have a 10 year plan to run for office.

I am tired of the uneducated.

you forget so soon that the west had their own share of the occult. America had the Salem witch hunt  to reduce the practise of withcraft. And Europe went through the  1000 year dark ages, most of the art from that era depict, magic, beatiality, satan worship, paganism e.t.c yet they still came out an built a lasting empire. We Africans are just Lazy. it has nothing to do with Juju
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Echidime(m): 3:24pm On Sep 28, 2010
The Poster should contact me offlist so i can help you out, you need to get initiated into a solid fraternity where you can forsee the future and see any attempt to your auspicious life by enemies no matter where they are coming from on the surface of this planeth Earth,God helps those who help themselves

Thou shall not allow yourself to be a sacrificial lamb to anybody. A word is enough for the wise
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:24pm On Sep 28, 2010
tensor777:

You better stop this unhealthy obsession with psychology and learn the real thing. Its ludicrous really how these misguided atheists say they don't believe in God but are then obsessed with the paranormal and the occult in various guises. undecided undecided

A thorough reading and understanding of the Bible is the surest path to atheism
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by mrrock: 3:26pm On Sep 28, 2010
@DonOvero

Education have little to do with whether you believe in jazz or not. You need to experience it to belive it
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:29pm On Sep 28, 2010
Also just because science so far has failed to explain something, to say it follows that the facile, pathetic explanations which religion has produced somehow by default must win the argument is really quite ridiculous.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:30pm On Sep 28, 2010
@mrrock,

it does, because no one who was truly educated would believe that!
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by malone5923(m): 3:31pm On Sep 28, 2010
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:36pm On Sep 28, 2010
tensor777:

You are actually missing the point of Overos attacks on juju. The truth is that juju is a very soft target in that it is primitive and those that adhere to it tend to be uneducated and ignorant.
No the real issue here is his atheism not this backward juju stuff.

An atheist is just somebody who feels about Yahweh the way any decent Christian feels about Thor or Baal or the golden calf. As has been said before, we are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Africanson: 3:37pm On Sep 28, 2010
@DonOvero

It's a question of believe and not education. Both educated and non educated people beleive in jazz.

Juju exist but don't believe it as you would be dependent on it, the more you believe it the more it would work for you. It's the more you look the less you see just like every other believe example; believing in the bible, koran e.t.c

Anybody saying juju don't exist don't know facts.

For those of you saying whiteman this whiteman that be informed whiteman don't know everything so don't know a thing about African juju. Whiteman have no clue about juju because they believe anything not scientifically proven is not a fact. That's a BIG lie!!!
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 28, 2010
smiley
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by hilli666(m): 3:45pm On Sep 28, 2010
@DonOvero

So is it safe to assume that you are an  atheist?
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:45pm On Sep 28, 2010
If you have a faith, it is statistically overwhelmingly likely that it is the same faith as your parents and grandparents had. No doubt soaring cathedrals, stirring music, moving stories and parables, help a bit. But by far the most important variable determining your religion is the accident of birth. The convictions that you so passionately believe would have been a completely different, and largely contradictory, set of convictions, if only you had happened to be born in a different place. Epidemiology, not evidence.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:51pm On Sep 28, 2010
I was reminded of a quotation by the famous American physicist Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize-winning theoretical physicist. Weinberg said: "Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it, you'd have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion. Pure madness
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 3:54pm On Sep 28, 2010
tensor777:

Well atheists are uniquely interesting as they profess to believe in precisely nothing. Not primitive juju, not Islam, Buddhism or any other religion.
The snag with that is that since man was created to believe in the supernatural and infinity, atheists find themselves in a moral and spiritual vacuum.
The issue then is that life for them becomes like a blind man groping in the dark- for some kind of inner meaning. undecided undecided

Not true, to me the world and the universe is an extremely beautiful place, and the more we understand about it the more beautiful does it appear. It is an immensely exciting experience to be born in the world, born in the universe, and look around you and realise that before you die you have the opportunity of understanding an immense amount about that world and about that universe and about life and about why we're here. We have the opportunity of understanding far, far more than any of our predecessors ever. That is such an exciting possibility, it would be such a shame to blow it and end your life not having understood what there is to understand.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 28, 2010
For those of you who are in the Uk & US who are saying civilised! Civilised or backward! backward! I'm doubt more than Thomos myself. If juju doesnt exist,magic does. There is supernatural powers. Juju doesnt not work on everybody or in every occation but it does work. I wil not make reference frm the Bible becoz some phylosopher r hovering around here.even if u dont believe in the bible. Those ppl that wrote it yrs ago could nt have just imagined n fabricated everything. Let me talk of the ones i heard n d one i have personaly seen. It is not common in the city bcoz most peaple who practice Juju/magic are uncivilized pple so, dont expect to be seeing/encountrn such all over Us/uk. Let me start frm the ones i heard. There r two major road contractors right opposite our house in Enugu. FERMA & Intercontractor. There was this palm tree that had two equal branches.i saw the picture.it was believed to be a magic tree. A white man that ignored the villagers who wornd about the tree taking a head died after felling the tree with a tranctor. They also made an attempt to level a hill which d villager also worned but they could nt. Many of the white men left their tranctors and ran away.the evidience is still there. I saw it but i still hav some doubt. May class mate(Onyebuchi,i watched him die) died in the football pitch bcoz they went to distroy a village Shrine(nt my village) with a Pastor(man of God as they call him). All of them died one-by-one except the Pastor. I have seen magicians swallow pieces of bottles,nails,many atime fill a basket with water. I saw them. Dont knw whether it's the kind of juju we r talking abt. What about the Bakasi boys. They used it and it worked for them. I learnd that Indian was banned frm playing football bcoz they were using it in the pitch(not sure.i'm nt a fball fan). What of the Fire Eaters? Go to Egypt n you will see magics as well. All those things r spiritual powers. It's every where. It is not practised by civilised peaple thats y u cant see it around u. Juju cant just do evry thing that's what some peaple who practise it fail to understand. Power pass power. There is another power that put limitations to juju. That power must be suprime. What i dont belief is using juju to kill me. Nah! My family n I would have been dead by now if it worked 4 every body. I only lost my elder brother which i believed to be poison which can kill anybody.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 4:55pm On Sep 28, 2010
kenis:

For those of you who are in the Uk & US who are saying civilised! Civilised or backward! backward! I'm doubt more than Thomos myself. If juju doesnt exist,magic does. There is supernatural powers. Juju doesnt not work on everybody or in every occation but it does work. I wil not make reference frm the Bible becoz some phylosopher r hovering around here.even if u dont believe in the bible. Those ppl that wrote it yrs ago could nt have just imagined n fabricated everything. Let me talk of the ones i heard n d one i have personaly seen. It is not common in the city bcoz most peaple who practice Juju/magic are uncivilized pple so, dont expect to be seeing/encountrn such all over Us/uk. Let me start frm the ones i heard. There r two major road contractors right opposite our house in Enugu. FERMA & Intercontractor. There was this palm tree that had two equal branches.i saw the picture.it was believed to be a magic tree. A white man that ignored the villagers who wornd about the tree taking a head died after felling the tree with a tranctor. They also made an attempt to level a hill which d villager also worned but they could nt. Many of the white men left their tranctors and ran away.the evidience is still there. I saw it but i still hav some doubt. May class mate(Onyebuchi,i watched him die) died in the football pitch bcoz they went to distroy a village Shrine(nt my village) with a Pastor(man of God as they call him). All of them died one-by-one except the Pastor. I have seen magicians swallow pieces of bottles,nails,many atime fill a basket with water. I saw them. Dont knw whether it's the kind of juju we r talking abt. What about the Bakasi boys. They used it and it worked for them. I learnd that Indian was banned frm playing football bcoz they were using it in the pitch(not sure.i'm nt a fball fan). What of the Fire Eaters? Go to Egypt n you will see magics as well. All those things r spiritual powers. It's every where. It is not practised by civilised peaple thats y u cant see it around u. Juju cant just do evry thing that's what some peaple who practise it fail to understand. Power pass power. There is another power that put limitations to juju. That power must be suprime. What i dont belief is using juju to kill me. Nah! My family n I would have been dead by now if it worked 4 every body. I only lost my elder brother which i believed to be poison which can kill anybody.

I am very sorry about your elder brother, but reason has built the modern world. It is a precious but also a fragile thing, which can be corroded by apparently harmless irrationality. We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 5:02pm On Sep 28, 2010
Oh and if you want one of the MANY reasons I am an atheist, here is one from 'your' sacred bible Numbers 31:13–47 as an example, in which Moses orders the slaughter of thousands of boys and women, and sanctions the rape of thousands of girls, at God's behest.

This is your Bible, a book of lies, wickedness, and blasphemy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Igboukwu Art In Comparison To Ife Art - Taught By Exotic / Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 / Meet Oba Solomon Dele Owoniyi, The New Obaro Of Kabba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.