Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,861 members, 7,956,244 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:26 AM

Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content (16870 Views)

For The Igbos In EDO (igbanke) DELTA (anioma, Ukwuani, Ika, Enu'ani) And Rivers / Wikipedia Updates Buhari Profile As President Elect / Wikipedia Updates Orubebe’s Profile Over Attempted Poll Disruprion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by smile11s(m): 1:06am On Sep 28, 2010
I was browsing through Wikipedia pages on Nigeria ethnic groups, and notes about the Ukwuani people got my attention. I am an Igbo person from Imo state and I always consider other Igbo speakers on the south south region as Igbo people too.

In the pasts(based on my research and traditional Igbo tales), Igbos were known for strong warriors and traveling traders, and most of them traveled far across the Niger river to trade/business. Many of this ancient Igbo warriors and traders settled on whatever land they could govern on their own(Igbos don't have kings, so they always tried to stay away from the Ezes).

Based on my personal research, I believe Igbo speakers like the Ukwanis, Ika-igbo, Ndokwas, and so on, are decedants of these ancient Igbo warriors and traders.

This is the content on Ukwuani wikipedia page

The Ndokwa people, in Delta State, at a press conference addressed by the President-General of the Ndokwa National Union, Professor Steve Agwo Okecha, shed light on the issue of identity of the people who are mostly mistaken for Igbo, because of their similarities in name. Okecha said a few times we the indigenes of Ndokwaland have been mistaken for Isokos and sometimes for Urhobos and many, many times, we have been mistaken for Igbo or the so called Ika Ibos by fellow Nigerians. This evidently shows that our identity is not fully grasped by our fellow country men and women.Quoting a publication by late Chief Eboagu, he said, "we wish to inform the Nigerian public and particularly the generality of the people outside the Mid-West State that the Ukwuani people constitute separate ethnic group in this country and are not part of Igboland by any consideration. Current views being curiously expressed in academic circles show that there is almost total ignorance about our people and accordingly, it has become incumbent on us to enlighten the public."He said the Ndokwa people who probably speak Ibo are those who on conversion to Christianity by the Anglican Church many years ago, were understandably forced to swallow that brand of Christianity in Igbo language by the only available Catechists, Priests and Deacons, all of whom were Igbo. Some of our people have also learnt the Igbo language either by contact or by migration to Igboland. Some of our people have also learnt to speak other Nigerian languages by similar processes."You must be wondering why some of our names and some of our words are similar or near to Igbo ones. So what? I repeat, so what? Do the Tundes, the Lakojus the Agboguns, the Ajayis and the Akereles of Akoko-Edo Local Government Area in Edo State see themselves as Yoruba? No, of course. Are the Ogus, the Okoros and the Egbuwokus of Isokoland Igbo or Ukwuanis? They are Isokos. Do the Achugbues, the Ishiekwenes, the Animams and the Opute of Orogun in Ughelli North Local Government Area regard themselves as Ukwuanis? The answer is no, they are Urhobos, so they claim," he said.
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Beaf: 1:19am On Sep 28, 2010
Most times I shy away from identity topics, but there is so much overlap between Igbo, Isoko and Urhobo in certain parts of Delta state that it becomes dangerous to throw labels at certain groups. There are places like Umutu where it really is borderline as to which language is being spoken. Its an area that needs some care. Their Urhobo and Isoko cousins call them Ukwuani, but their Igbo neigbours object strongly. The question is; what do they call themselves?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by smile11s(m): 2:03am On Sep 28, 2010
Where are the ethnic identities if I may ask? You can hardly identify or distinguish identities in that region because they have been sub-alienated into tiny ethnic groups in pursue of power. If Nigerian ethnic groups were created based on identities, then we would have about 50 ethnic groups instead of the about 150 ethnic groups they claim we are.
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by smile11s(m): 7:29am On Sep 28, 2010
well, thats Nigeria for us
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Onlytruth(m): 8:22am On Sep 28, 2010
Let's wait until someone from Ukwuani wants to run for presidency of Nigeria. Then we will be inundated with his Igbo middle names.  angry angry angry

I have nothing to say to such groups anymore. They can be whatever they want provided they don't mutate when they need something.   undecided folks are shameless and without souls.  embarassed

8 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by smile11s(m): 4:57pm On Sep 28, 2010
true
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Dede1(m): 6:48pm On Sep 28, 2010
As Beaf stated in his post, I do not wish to muddle in issues such as identity crisis. There are rogue individuals among Ukwuani people who would once a while claim ancestral lineage to Bini or Yoruba or even Hausa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by AndreUweh(m): 7:18pm On Sep 28, 2010
Ukwuani, Ukwuala, Ukwuana, Ukwuali etc is no other group than Igbo.
In the formation years of Igbo Union, Ukwuani leaders such as Hon Frank Oputa and Hon Oki played active roles in this organisation. The Ukwuani then clearly identified with their Igbo kins.
  The Nigerian crisis of the late sixties did not help matters. Some began to question their Identities, others came up with ideas of making Ukwuani a distinct ethnic group,  while some still maintained their Igboness.
  But lately Igbo consciousness is high in Ukwuani areas. It is interesting to note that at the last Ohanaeze organised Igbo day in Owerri 2009, most of their Obis were in attendance. I have also seen increasing numbers of Ukwuanis here in Nairaland identify as Igbo or Delta Igbo.
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by smile11s(m): 7:28pm On Sep 28, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Ukwuani, Ukwuala, Ukwuana, Ukwuali etc is no other group than Igbo.
In the formation years of Igbo Union, Ukwuani leaders such as Hon Frank Oputa and Hon Oki played active roles in this organisation. The Ukwuani then clearly identified with their Igbo kins.
The Nigerian crisis of the late sixties did not help matters. Some began to question their Identities, others came up with ideas of making Ukwuani a distinct ethnic group, while some still maintained their Igboness.
But lately Igbo consciousness is high in Ukwuani areas. It is interesting to note that at the last Ohanaeze organised Igbo day in Owerri 2009, most of their Obis were in attendance. I have also seen increasing numbers of Ukwuani's here in Nairaland identify as Igbo or Delta Igbo.

true talk.

Ethnic groups are not meant to be in just a region, they can reside in the different parts of the world. There are Jews in Israel, USA and even in other parts. Fulani can be found in more than 6 countries. And so many others too like that.
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Samobi(m): 6:02am On Sep 29, 2010
smile11s:

I was browsing through Wikipedia pages on Nigeria ethnic groups, and notes about the Ukwuani people got my attention. I am an Igbo person from Imo state and I always consider other Igbo speakers on the south south region as Igbo people too.

In the pasts(based on my research and traditional Igbo tales), Igbos were known for strong warriors and traveling traders, and most of them traveled far across the Niger river to trade/business. Many of this ancient Igbo warriors and traders settled on whatever land they could govern on their own(Igbos don't have kings, so they always tried to stay away from the Ezes).

Based on my personal research, I believe Igbo speakers like the Ukwanis, Ika-igbo, Ndokwas, and so on, are decedants of these ancient Igbo warriors and traders.

This is the content on Ukwuani wikipedia page

What is the purpose of this thread exactly and how does it relate to politics? By the way, I was told by an Imo guy when he heared me speaking my dialect that "Oh, I thought you were Igbo but now that I have heared you speak, you are not". His dumb family told me "You know we Igbos don't like you Delta Igbo". So, can you blame those Ukwuani people who have raised their children not to see themselves as Igbo? One thing I cannot stand with some people is that you cannot win. It's a case of you damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Let those who were raised by their parents as Igbos see themselves as such and those who were not raised by their families to be seen as Igbos bear whatever they feel like. My parents probably went through the same crappy experience I had with Igbos from core Igboland hence they raised us to be Ukwuani and nothing else angry Can I blame them? Are Igbos united? Not at all! When push comes to shove, then the Igbo vs Delta Igbo gets pushed to the surface. I noticed that growing up as a child. My mom was contesting for a position in church (CWO). All of a sudden it became an Igbo vs Igbo Delta thingy. Just goes to show you how deeply entrenched tribalism is in Nigeria. Make una carry go!

Make everybody go answer their papa name. Live and let live. You cannot force an identity on a group of people. You can try that with children but not with the adults. Its just that simple. No amount of ranting and raving on Nairaland will make a difference because at the end of the day, its just a forum after all and people will live their lives as they see fit.

11 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by victor1464(m): 10:44pm On Sep 27, 2014
Hey mr man..dont 4ce ur igboness on ukwuani people..i hv told u igbos so many times dat Ukwuani is an ethnic group dat speaks a language dat is considerd similar to edo and igbo language..d fact dat it falls under d igboid class of language dosnt make it igbo language.it was even d colonial masters dat made our ethnicity 2b very much popular because dey saw our culture and loved it more dan dat of d igbos....although d UKWUANIS hav been xistin 1700AD b4 d igbos existence.(where did d colonial masters anchor their ship wen d came to Nigeria?its ABOH in NDOKWA LAND).this is to prove to u dat ukwuanis xisted b4 Igbo.im absolutely sure dat d igbos left 4rm ukwuani land to settle in d less fertile land fill with red mud sand and there was no space 4 dem dats y igbos always fight 4 land...ukwuani means d upland people blessd with much land 4 agriculture.the ukwuani empires settled in d land because it was rich and fertile 4 agriculture.we also tnk God dat d ukwuanis r so much blessd wit d black gold(crude oil and gas).dis is to tell u dat dey settled in d right place b4 d igbos in d east...for example,u cannot assume an urobo man 2b isoko,a bini 2b called esan,an efik man 2b called ibibio,an idoma 2b called igala,an itsekiri man 2b called yoruba man...it sounds foolish dat u igbos dont understand tins...for ur informatn it is not d igbos dat created d multi ethnic groups in nigeria so mind ur business and dont b jealous because d ukwuanis hav wat u dont have..i wish u igbos had kings dey would hav created ethnic groups...but we d ukwuanis have rulers called okpala-ukus who ruled 4 many years..they were d ones dat projected d ukwuanis to wat it is 2day.....The truth is bitter but it is good 4u igbos 2know dat we remain seperate ethnicity despite ur troubles.we d ukwuani people will 4eva reject d igbo as their ethnicity and Uphold NDOKWA/UKWUANI ethnicity because 99% speaks ukwuani language and dont understand igbo(1%)...my grand parents dont understand igbo...iv lived in kogi state,many igbos taugth dat i was a part of dem but later found out dat i couldnt communicate wit dem in Igbo language as i was speakin my UkWUANI so they left me alone...d ukwuani culture and traditions ar totaly different 4rm dat of d igbos.their way of life,dressin,music,food,relationship, is totaly different..d igbos who have being trading in ukwuani land have even isolated themselves 4rm d ukwuani people because dey have found out everytin is different 4rm wat dey assumed..d igbos had 2 compensate themselves by celebratin their igbo cultural day in isolated places such as school playgrounds,gardens, football stadiums etc....d northern part of nigeria has so many tribes but dat dosnt make all of dem hausa.those in d middle belt areas(bassa,nupe,igala,idoma,tiv,etc) r not hausa but hav gotten much influence 4rm d nothern region may be through religious influences which makes majority of us in d south 2 call them hausa which they r not.so it is here in d southern region.d ukwuani people r found in d niger delta central region which hav much influences 4rm d ijaws,urobo,isoko,bini, and d larger part of igbo.all dis doesnt make dem igbo.we r full blooded niger deltans 2d core.4 ur infomation d ukwuani/ndokwa nation have bin recognized as a seperate ethnic identity from d igbo ethnicity many years ago. 90% of us see our selves as ukwuanis and not igbos..we call igbos our neigbours and somtimes our brothers. D igbos and d ukwuani people of delta state and rivers will only come 2geda in nigeria wen it bcoms politically necessary and that is wat we r doin now.we are workin 4d creation of a new state 4rm delta state called ANIOMA STATE which is both 4d UkwuANIS,ikas and Igbos(aniocha/oshimili people)

8 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by crazyawesome911(m): 11:11pm On Sep 27, 2014
I'm from Ndokwa/ukwani but I really donot understand a thing u guys are saying.

4 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by victor1464(m): 12:10am On Sep 28, 2014
Im ukwuani 4rm kwale(utgba-ogbe).i dont understand igbo language.i wonda how u will tell us our own history.Most of u igbos havent even travel 2 delta state once in ur life time and yet u post nonsense about my people on this thread.THE UKWUANI PEOPLE DONT TOLERATE THAT!..i once visited an igbo gatherin but i didnt even understand d language so i left d place because it sounded like noise... UKWUANI NA BIG NAME 4 Delta STATE oooh,2nd largest tribe 4 dat mata!!!.SO NO TAKE Am play because DELTA NO DEY CARRY LAST.ishiegwari ...yoooh!!i wonda how a person 4rm another land or who lives abroad will be writin history about a people dat he dosn't know neither has he visited d place..may God help Nigeria!!

9 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by victor1464(m): 5:02am On Oct 07, 2014
D Ukwuanis will neva accept Igbo as their ethnicity.if an ukwuani man wants to bcome a president of Nigeria 2day,it is d same igbos dat will pull him down and say dat he's a delta man & he is not a true igbo..we d Ukwuani people who ar d largest in anioma region of delta state hav our own seperate Ethnicity as Ukwuani/ndokwa people.it is different 4rm d igbo ethnicity.we hav & will carry our destiny in our own hands by ourselvs.our history is as old as d igbo history.SO THE IGBOS CAN GO 2 HELL!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by lonelydora: 5:09am On Oct 07, 2014
Beaf:
Most times I shy away from identity topics, but there is so much overlap between Igbo, Isoko and Urhobo in certain parts of Delta state that it becomes dangerous to throw labels at certain groups. There are places like Umutu where it really is borderline as to which language is being spoken. Its an area that needs some care. Their Urhobo and Isoko cousins call them Ukwuani, but their Igbo neigbours object strongly. The question is; what do they call themselves?

Just like JESUS asking his followers " Who do you say I am?"

1 Like

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by victor1464(m): 5:25am On Oct 07, 2014
Umutu is not d border line.We r called d UkWUANI/NDOKWA PEOPLE and d border line between Ukwuani,urobo,isoko & ijaw is @ obiaruku/abbi,ase creek in Ndokwa-east l.g.a...History lie most times.most writers of historical book writes 4rm abroad without confirmations or even visitin d places they r writin about..so where did u get dat info 4rm??

1 Like

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by wesley80(m): 5:39am On Oct 07, 2014
victor1464:
Umutu is not d border line.We r called d UkWUANI/NDOKWA PEOPLE and d border line between Ukwuani,urobo,isoko & ijaw is @ obiaruku/abbi,ase creek in Ndokwa-east l.g.a...History lie most times.most writers of historical book writes 4rm abroad without confirmations or even visitin d places they r writin about..so where did u get dat info 4rm??

This topic has been done to death on this forum and I believe an understanding has been reached with most of the reasonable Igbos. I honestly do not understand your intention in bumping an already archived thread.

2 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Mckennedy: 6:33am On Oct 07, 2014
[quote author=victor1464 post=26928578]D Ukwuanis will neva accept Igbo as their ethnicity.if an ukwuani man wants to bcome a president of Nigeria 2day,it is d same igbos dat will pull him down and say dat he's a delta man & he is not a true igbo..we d Ukwuani people who ar d largest in anioma region of delta state hav our own seperate Ethnicity as Ukwuani/ndokwa people.it is different 4rm d igbo ethnicity.we hav will carry our destiny in our own hands by ourselvs.our history is as old as d
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Blackvampire(m): 8:09am On Oct 07, 2014
Hey am from ukwuani a ..and my father said am delta igbo..we even have an obi in my town ..obi of etoi..utag bunor...i don't knw why some of my people like living in denial...when ever i travell to the west or the middle belt part of nigeria am always called an igbo person...we are even fighting for anioma state self

14 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by maestroferddi: 8:41am On Oct 07, 2014
An Igboman will become the President of Nigeria in the very near future. When that happens, I am sure that most of the prodigal sons who have chosen to repudiate their obvious Igbo origin would come back cap in hand requesting to be re-admitted back into the Igbo commonwealth.

By that time it might be too late. These traducers and rejectors of Igbo consciousness would be left to wallow in their subsisting political obscurity and irrelevance.

The choice is theirs...

7 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Balkan(m): 8:48am On Oct 07, 2014
You guys are really cut between the devil and the deep sea. if war breaks out between Igbo and hausa or Igbo yoruba and you tell them you are not Igbo, you think they will believe you? they Bini people you claim you migrated from dont see you as one of theirs. your Niger Deltans SS people do not see you as one of theirs too.

When the Chips are down the Igbos will separate the chaffs from the grains and tell you that you are not Igbo because you said you are not one.
The Ukwuani people are the most useless tribe I have ever seen in Nigeria. The Aniomas will never allow them for anything because they can betray Aniomas any day.

[size=16pt]Ukwuani people are really Usu, that cannot be classified as mammal or Bird [/size]

3 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Unemadu: 9:07am On Oct 07, 2014
victor1464:

U are just making noise. You may not be igbo but you speak an igbo dialect! Its as simple as that.

1 Like

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by thewarrior72: 10:29am On Oct 07, 2014
victor1464:
D Ukwuanis will neva accept Igbo as their ethnicity.if an ukwuani man wants to bcome a president of Nigeria 2day,it is d same igbos dat will pull him down and say dat he's a delta man & he is not a true igbo..we d Ukwuani people who ar d largest in anioma region of delta state hav our own seperate Ethnicity as Ukwuani/ndokwa people.it is different 4rm d igbo ethnicity.we hav will carry our destiny in our own hands by ourselvs.our history is as old as d igbo history.SO THE IGBOS CAN GO 2 HELL!!!
No reasonable igbo needs you guys. Your ethnicity is too insignificant & inconsequential to be noticed by almighty igbos, infact, try to govern ur little delta state before aiming for the presidency....identity crisis clowns

4 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by thewarrior72: 10:36am On Oct 07, 2014
crazyawesome911:
I'm from Ndokwa/ukwani but I really donot understand a thing u guys are saying.
Your tribe is neither here nor there wink
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Deltagiant: 11:24am On Oct 07, 2014
victor1464:
Hey mr man. d niger delta central region which hav much influences 4rm d ijaws,urobo,isoko,bini, and d larger part of igbo....all dis doesnt make dem igbo...4 ur infomation d Ukwuanis r not igbos and will neva accept it...d ukwuani is a seperat ethnic entity..we call u igbos our neigbours and somtimes our brothers.. D igbos and d ukwuani people of delta state will only come 2geda wen it bcoms political necessary and that is wat we r doin now workin 4d creation of a new state 4rm delta state called ANIOMA STATE which both 4d UkwuANIS and Igbos(aniocha people)

Victor, there is no need for long grammar here. It is very very interesting that you want Anioma state despite that you said you're not Igbo. That's fine, but i had thought you would have wanted to join the non-Igbo groups like Isoko and urhobos in the upcoming delta state. Why stay with people you don't like? Asaba, your capital is a 100 percent Igbo town located in the heart of Igboland and with a long Igbo history. Don't you think Anioma state would be dangerous for your types because your generations to come will by default drop their village dialects and embrace the Asaba igbo dialect which is central Igbo? How about that? No anti Igbo Ukwuani sentiment can withstand the overwhelming Igbo vibration at Asaba. That you know.

Honestly, I don't really understand you guys because your fellow clan's man, Ogoegbunam Dafe of Obiaruku was a founding member of the Igbo state Union in 1937, which later became known as Ohaneze. Even the town of ABBI, the political capital of Ukwuani people was founded by a man from Achalla in the present Anambra state. So, my message here is: if you don't like Ndigbo, do not aspire to join Anioma state because it would be counter productive. I bet you the heat would be too much for the anti Igbo clans in such a state.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Balkan(m): 12:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
Ukwuani people are nailing their coffin left right and center
The people have disowned themselves. You better start telling your BINI
people to come and take you back. you gusys are the endangered tribe
in SS
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by jotey(m): 1:15pm On Oct 07, 2014
Wetin una knw say una dae tok abt ?? angry
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Blackvampire(m): 1:34pm On Oct 07, 2014
We ukuwani nodokwa people are part of the aniomans oo don't mind what others here are saying oo...just watch n let anioma state be actualaized and you will be surprised

6 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by Donmarrius: 3:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
Anioma state when created,remains Igboland.
Hence,any individual,or group that says they ain't Igbo,can jump to obscurity for all i care.
You can't say you ain't Igbo,and same time want to join a state proposed for igbo speaking part of Delta state,and probably Igbo clans in Edo.
You people should vacate that territory,it belongs to the proposed Anioma state.
You can park to anywhere you like,even inside Atlantic ocean.Mtchww!

6 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by atlwireles: 3:26pm On Oct 07, 2014
Please move this thread to the ethnic or culture section. Enough of this rubbish. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by nextdoor84(m): 4:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
Even from the name Ukwu ani....Ukwu means big
And Ani means Land..smart ones can easily deduce what tribe it falls under.. But this is Nigeria. When you are good everyone associates with you! But when all is not well you are strictly on your own!! #timeshalltell
Re: Ukwuani People Wikipedia Content by christopher123(m): 7:45am On Oct 08, 2014
Blackvampire:
Hey am from ukwuani a ..and my father said am delta igbo..we even have an obi in my town ..obi of etoi..utag bunor...i don't knw why some of my people like living in denial...when ever i travell to the west or the middle belt part of nigeria am always called an igbo person...we are even fighting for anioma state self

Its only an ignorant child points to the fathers house with left hand

My brother you have spoken well and look well at those ukwuani claiming Hausa they are sons of exiled felons from Benin land

The snake child will always be crawling you know

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria's 53rd Independence Day Celebration Kicks Off In Abuja (photos) / BREAKING!! Onnoghen: Rivers State Lawyers Protest In Portharcourt (Photos) / Tribunal Sacks PDP's Ogbee, Declares APC's Ogar Winner Of Ebonyi Rep Seat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.