Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,263 members, 7,836,192 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ (11939 Views)

PDP's Obinna Ogba Declares For Governor Of Ebonyi State / Abacha was never Convicted Of Looting / Mustapha Sani Abacha Was Born In Aso Rock To A Sitting Head Of State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by miketayo(m): 12:44pm On Jun 07, 2019
FortuneDeGreat:
Between two evils one must be better, between Abacha and Buhari, for sure Abacha is far better.

If u are less than 35 I would understand but if u are older, I wonder if u stayed in Nigeria during Abacha's reign.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by socialmediaman: 12:55pm On Jun 07, 2019
NaMeAboki:
Yes he was: he was able to achieve more with the least amount of revenue (oil @ about $9/barrel) than most other leaders before or after him; his main problem was that many of those he stepped on their toes (OBJ & Abdulsalami Abubakar and also NADECO members) came to power immediately after him and made sure they used their offices or access to the media to malign him more than he was actually guilty of - e.g. some members of the SMC (Bamaiyi & Jeremai Useni) had tried to debunk the so called Abacha loot, explaining the rational behind the joint SMC's decision to stash the money in secret accounts, in the light of threats of more international economic sanctions against the country but to no avail.

Wow! Can’t believe I just read this. I have no way to explain your justification except see it as reverse psychology, a situation where a victim, after being oppressed for so long by an oppressor, begins to justify the actions of their oppressor because they think they deserved it. I have a few questions for you:

1. Do you keep money in US, UK etc, the same countries you’re trying to hide the money from?

2. So they hid these funds for Nigeria's Sake in their personal names, with their families as the only ones who can access the funds, why weren’t there documents listing all these funds as belonging to the state?

3. Why did their families but not the country know about these hidden funds, of truly the funds belonged to Nigeria?

4. Let’s just assume that these criminals generals decided to hide these funds for Nigeria’s sake. After a new government came in, it remained theirs to privately use till they were caught, What did that make them if not criminals?
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Inteltower: 1:03pm On Jun 07, 2019
he wasnt perfect ...very corrupt & tough as a ruler .
but when international sanctions came pouring in..I admired the way he put out policies that made Nigeria be productive, less dependent on foreign goods, less foreign debt & including improving economy.
but now we are the mercy of foreign countries & bodies borrowing & begging them sale & invest in us.

giant of Africa my foot .
Bacha yes a bad ruler but he is best amongst all the worse leaders we have up till now.

name one if you disagree ?
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Gandollar(f): 1:17pm On Jun 07, 2019
Enugupikin:
Ebonyi people like Abacha for given them state and relieving them from oppression but that doesn't mean Abacha is. saint
Bros if you were an adult in the Abacha days and if you knew Ogba then, you would understand. Abacha really empowered him. If Abacha didn't die, Ogba would have been the governor of Ebonyi just as Joy Emordi would have been governor of Anambra State.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Gandollar(f): 1:18pm On Jun 07, 2019
Thryphosa:
May be Abacha is his mentor.
Oh yes he was. Big Time.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Gandollar(f): 1:19pm On Jun 07, 2019
assyn:

If Abacha actually 'stole' those cash how come they were placed in banks were they can easily be recovered/Identified?.
The first Nigerian soldier to attain the rank of a full star General without skipping a single rank, that speaks volume of him.

Are you suggesting the money was planted by another who hates Abacha in order to color him bad?
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Gandollar(f): 1:20pm On Jun 07, 2019
henrykaimaife:
What do you expect from Abakaliki man off course none or do you expect him to reason like Achebe, Soludo and chike Obi off course no way.
You are very stupid for this useless comment.

1 Like

Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Enugupikin: 1:22pm On Jun 07, 2019
Gandollar:
Bros if you were an adult in the Abacha days and if you knew Ogba then, you would understand. Abacha really empowered him. If Abacha didn't die, Ogba would have been the governor of Ebonyi just as Joy Emordi would have been governor of Anambra State.

ooh..I see...some living former heads of state could be worse than him though..people like obj, abdusalam and ibb...just that the dead tell no tales
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Gandollar(f): 1:23pm On Jun 07, 2019
smokeyupu:
But sincerely, Sani Abacha was a kind hearted person. I encountered him in Ibadan when he was GOC 2nd Mechanized Div and I liked him ever since.
Also met his younger brother who was a Captain back in the late 80s in Kaduna. He buys bread from us (which I made) all that time in NDA and was very generous.
People tend to judge folks from hearsay and make up their minds based on that.
A man might be hard but very gentle inside.
Abacha is no different from other Nigerians in terms of corruption, but his human rights abuses surpassed that of others both dead and alive.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Gandollar(f): 1:25pm On Jun 07, 2019
Enugupikin:

ooh..I see...some living former heads of state could be worse than him though..people like obj, abdusalam and ibb...just that the dead tell no tales
His human rights abuses was his greatest undoing. He's not corrupt than those before or after him.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Enugupikin: 1:25pm On Jun 07, 2019
henrykaimaife:
What do you expect from Abakaliki man off course none or do you expect him to reason like Achebe, Soludo and chike Obi off course no way.
you're a fooool to be honest... Anambra people are the most imbecilic in Igbo land bc most of them have been used for rituals ...spits

1 Like

Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by TEDHorsePower: 1:26pm On Jun 07, 2019
This bastard from timid nsukka, when Igbos are talking someone from Nsukka in Benue state is talking. Enugu state is not an Igbo state, you all came from north central. Cursed hopeless imbeci.lic ritual bastards

[s]
Enugupikin:

you're a fooool to be honest... Anambra people are the most imbecilic in Igbo land bc most of them have been used for rituals ...spits
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Gandollar(f): 1:26pm On Jun 07, 2019
Enugupikin:

Stop it please! Stop it.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by TEDHorsePower: 1:29pm On Jun 07, 2019
You father is cursed. Why didn't you caution him before talking to me. You are cursed like your useless father

[s]
Gandollar:
You act and write like someone under a curse. You need deliverance.
[/s]
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Enugupikin: 1:33pm On Jun 07, 2019
henrykaimaife:
same way the Ebonyi people got Akanu Ibiam(first Igbo medical doctor) and Aja Nwachukwu(first min of education in Nigeria)...can any imbeciliic Anambrarian reason like them? mbanu

Anambra got the highest number of lowest iq imbe scattered around Igbo land...utterly useless

grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by ngoxievergreen(f): 1:34pm On Jun 07, 2019
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by ngoxievergreen(f): 1:37pm On Jun 07, 2019
i am from enugu state but enugu state people are anambra slaves. anambra people bought enugu state people as slaves. by the time zik became the first African to study in america, the people from enugu state were still living with monkeys, by the time ojukwu became the first african to study in oxford, the people enugu were still living in holes. enugu state is cursed. enugu people are cursed.

[s]
Enugupikin:

same way the Ebonyi people got Akanu Ibiam(first Igbo medical doctor) and Aja Nwachukwu(first min of education in Nigeria)...can any imbeciliic Anambrarian reason like them? mbanu

Anambra got the highest number of lowest iq imbe scattered around Igbo land...utterly useless

grin cheesy
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by assyn(m): 1:58pm On Jun 07, 2019
Gandollar:
Are you suggesting the money was planted by another who hates Abacha in order to color him bad?

I'm saying maybe the money were placed in these banks because thats the safest place to keep them than in Nig. If you had to save money would you keep them in Nig banks or abroad?
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Gandollar(f): 2:01pm On Jun 07, 2019
assyn:

I'm saying maybe the money were placed in these banks because thats the safest place to keep them than in Nig. If you had to save money would you keep them in Nig banks or abroad?
So Abacha banked the money for us abii grin
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by assyn(m): 2:33pm On Jun 07, 2019
Gandollar:
So Abacha banked the money for us abii grin

Sure man like Abacha grin grin

1 Like

Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by Abogwara: 2:43pm On Jun 07, 2019
I agree completely. Abacha was patriotic but was humbled by Western powers like Ghaddafi.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by meobizy(f): 3:08pm On Jun 07, 2019
This is a fact of life: even the most hated men in history have idolizers.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by FortuneDeGreat(m): 3:47pm On Jun 07, 2019
miketayo:

If u are less than 35 I would understand but if u are older, I wonder if u stayed in Nigeria during Abacha's reign.
Abacha died in 1998, that was 21years ago, how come you're talking about 35? I witnessed Abacha's tenure so forget about my age.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by bikefab(m): 4:34pm On Jun 07, 2019
Abacha is a saint in comparison to Bubu
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by RichBoy247: 4:53pm On Jun 07, 2019
There is nothing too stupid for Igbos to say. Go and say this rubbish in Ogoni Land. Ewu Gambia.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by NaMeAboki: 8:57pm On Jun 07, 2019
GidiWoodsMan:

So the right account to stash it is the account of his children abi?

Your skull is obviously empty if you actually typed that nonsense by yourself.

And your skull is obviously limited and stuck in a one dimensional mode; its therefore no wonder you seem unable to process and handle a more complex multi-dimensional issue such as the one at hand.

socialmediaman:

Wow! Can’t believe I just read this. I have no way to explain your justification except see it as reverse psychology, a situation where a victim, after being oppressed for so long by an oppressor, begins to justify the actions of their oppressor because they think they deserved it. I have a few questions for you:

1. Do you keep money in US, UK etc, the same countries you’re trying to hide the money from?

2. So they hid these funds for Nigeria's Sake in their personal names, with their families as the only ones who can access the funds, why weren’t there documents listing all these funds as belonging to the state?

3. Why did their families but not the country know about these hidden funds, of truly the funds belonged to Nigeria?

4. Let’s just assume that these criminals generals decided to hide these funds for Nigeria’s sake. After a new government came in, it remained theirs to privately use till they were caught, What did that make them if not criminals?

Yes; in the comity of nations most countries have adopted the USD (and other strong currencies) as the medium of international trade and therefore stash a certain amount of their surplus earnings in various accounts as foreign reserve (Nigeria among them) in order to facilitate the said trade; stabilise exchange rate and other economic mechanisms as deemed necessary.

Some which fall foul of the UN or big countries like the USA become victims of economic sanctions and may have such money or assets frozen.

Nigeria under Abacha was in danger of falling into that category (like Libya at that time).

This was what informed the decision to hide part of Nigeria's money in various foreign accounts under false names (including those of Abacha's children among others) - it was effectively a kind of money laundering.

The decision was taken joint by the PRC and in view of the need for absolute secrecy agreed to allow Abacha determine the fine details of the concealment.

Surviving members of the Abacha regime who took part in that decision of the PRC, such as Generals Bamaiyi and Useini, have on several occasions held press interviews confirming that decision but their voices had been drowned under the massive propaganda machinery of successive govts in power (Abdulsalami Abubakar & OBJ) as well as members of NADECO who had obviously had huge issues with Abacha - and could conveniently malign a dead man without fear of contradiction.

Note, I am not saying that Abacha was a saint and free of corruption and therefore did not use that opportunity to divert some of the stash for himself or that his children did not do same after his death; however, the primary intention of hiding such colossal sum (which was just too much for just one man and his family even if was that greedy) was simply to safe guard it away from possible sanctions.

Those who knew the truth have already spoken; unfortunately the hatred for Abacha, as fuelled by his enemies, is preventing many Nigerians from accepting this version of events.
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by suremanpatriot: 1:42am On Jun 08, 2019
very true! wink
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by socialmediaman: 6:28am On Jun 08, 2019
NaMeAboki:

And your skull is obviously limited and stuck in a one dimensional mode; its therefore no wonder you seem unable to process and handle a more complex multi-dimensional issue such as the one at hand.

Yes; in the comity of nations most countries have adopted the USD (and other strong currencies) as the medium of international trade and therefore stash a certain amount of their surplus earnings in various accounts as foreign reserve (Nigeria among them) in order to facilitate the said trade; stabilise exchange rate and other economic mechanisms as deemed necessary.

Some which fall foul of the UN or big countries like the USA become victims of economic sanctions and may have such money or assets frozen.

Nigeria under Abacha was in danger of falling into that category (like Libya at that time).

This was what informed the decision to hide part of Nigeria's money in various foreign accounts under false names (including those of Abacha's children among others) - it was effectively a kind of money laundering.

The decision was taken joint by the PRC and in view of the need for absolute secrecy agreed to allow Abacha determine the fine details of the concealment.

Surviving members of the Abacha regime who took part in that decision of the PRC, such as Generals Bamaiyi and Useini, have on several occasions held press interviews confirming that decision but their voices had been drowned under the massive propaganda machinery of successive govts in power (Abdulsalami Abubakar & OBJ) as well as members of NADECO who had obviously had huge issues with Abacha - and could conveniently malign a dead man without fear of contradiction.

Note, I am not saying that Abacha was a saint and free of corruption and therefore did not use that opportunity to divert some of the stash for himself or that his children did not do same after his death; however, the primary intention of hiding such colossal sum (which was just too much for just one man and his family even if was that greedy) was simply to safe guard it away from possible sanctions.

Those who knew the truth have already spoken; unfortunately the hatred for Abacha, as fuelled by his enemies, is preventing many Nigerians from accepting this version of events.

Abdulsalami Abubakar was not a member of the PRC? Where and where did such meeting take place without him? Your story sounds so convenient and it’s interesting that you would take the words of Diya who was dishonorably dethroned to the words of Abdulsalami who was Chief of defense staff and ex head of state
Re: Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ by NaMeAboki: 7:41am On Jun 08, 2019
socialmediaman:

Abdulsalami Abubakar was not a member of the PRC? Where and where did such meeting take place without him? Your story sounds so convenient and it’s interesting that you would take the words of Diya who was dishonorably dethroned to the words of Abdulsalami who was Chief of defense staff and ex head of state

You clearly need to brush up on your reading skills; because there was nowhere in my entire posts that I mentioned Diya; neither did I stated or implied that Adulsalami Abubakar was a member of the PRC but instead that he and OBJ succeeded Abacha and both used their offices to pursue a campaign of calumny against the latter because they already had a grudge against him - pls do not put words into my mouth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

El-Rufai: There Is No Phenomenon Like Repentant Terrorists, Bandits / Bomb Blast At Un Headquarters In Abuja 10 Am Today! / Rate This Photo Of GEJ In Air Force Regalia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.