Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 - Investment (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 (79394 Views)

How To Be Rich In Nigeria / Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Gunit4life(m): 8:22am On Jun 07, 2007
aylala2002,
hw can one monitor his stock or shares if there is inflation or deflation.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by wanaj0: 9:17am On Jun 07, 2007
easimoni:

If anything, Oando's profit margins seems to be increasing! I'd really like to know how/when new Oando shares will be issued. Can't seem to find any news to that effect. A response will be greatly appreciated (I just placed an order for a boatload of shares).

Afribank is in no man's land. They have been too busy fighting off a takeover to launch their PO. They will remain suspended until they finish the PO or indicate they will no longer pursue a PO. If they choose the first route, expect a lift no earlier than 4Q07.

IBTC will prob be lifted after the merger with Stanbic

IBTC merger is not that straightforward. It will only go ahead if Standard Bank is able to have 51% of the shares. IBTC directly will issue about 30% while the balance will be bought from shareholders. If shareholders refuse to sell to Standard bank at 11.74 then the merger will be suspended.

On Oando, new shares are going to be issued to Ocean and Oil. Ocean and Oil is the investment vehicle that Tinubu and his group use to acquire Unipetrol. There is also a mangement agreement that exists between Oando and Ocean and Oil. Tinubu and co are using Ocean and Oil to fleece Oando.

There is already a court ordered meeting to approve of that resolution.

Yes, Oando's margin is good. But without full deregulation don't expect much increase. With corporate gorvernace issues then the risk incraeses.

Just my two cents
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by westee: 10:08am On Jun 07, 2007
sorry if this sounds absurd, i am totally a novice to the stock market, i recently invested 50,000 naira in West African Portland Cement, 50,000 naira in intercontinental(through a jobber, if i am correct, got me my CSCS numb with Shalom Investments and Securities ) and also bought the recently closed intercontinental public offer with 50,000 naira. Now I am planning to buy First Bank Public Offer with 250,000 Naira.
I got questions to ask.
1. What is the difference between collecting a Shares Cert or including my CSCS number so that they pay the money straight to my a/c
2. Is it safe to include my CSCS number? because the jobber (If I am correct, don't mind me please) told me to be very careful with it.
3. How can i monitor my share? will be Ok if online.
4. Though my profit depends on how well the company is doing i think but like how much can i think of in the next 7 years.
Please your post will be highly appreciated.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by feelgood(m): 10:53am On Jun 07, 2007
Guys, It's difficult buying Oceanic, mutual benefits; it appears nobody wants to sell.
What do you guys think of Lasaco, C & I, Wema and Skye. I got 500,000naira to play with for only 3months - which stocks can I buy? Advise pls.
Many thanks for the great work you folks are doing here on this thread messrs Frankiriri, aylala, easimoni et al
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by moneybags: 1:49pm On Jun 07, 2007
wanaj0:

IBTC merger is not that straightforward. It will only go ahead if Standard Bank is able to have 51% of the shares. IBTC directly will issue about 30% while the balance will be bought from shareholders. If shareholders refuse to sell to Standard bank at 11.74 then the merger will be suspended.

This is quite enlightening. Since the merger was discussed and agreed with the Board, and a significant portion of the shares outstanding is owned by the Board (mainly Atedo Peterside) don't you think that Standard bank will be able to get up to 51% if shareholders like Peterside agree to sell? I'll be amazed if the merger doesn't go through, or what do you think?
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by wanaj0: 2:11pm On Jun 07, 2007
moneybags:

This is quite enlightening. Since the merger was discussed and agreed with the Board, and a significant portion of the shares outstanding is owned by the Board (mainly Atedo Peterside) don't you think that Standard bank will be able to get up to 51% if shareholders like Peterside agree to sell? I'll be amazed if the merger doesn't go through, or what do you think?

It is about control. Peterside will not want to lose total control. Hence they will be expecting fringe shareholders to sell. That's why they are offering 11.74 or thereabout for a share that is 11.00. What's the incentive to sell for a gain of less than 1.00?

I see them trying to cajole others (especially Chartered Bank shareholders) to sell their stake to Standard Bank.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by bakas(m): 2:28pm On Jun 07, 2007
guys and Ladies in the house,
Please can someone tells me how much it takes to verify a share certificate? and what to do to claim your unclaimed dividends?
Cheers
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by easimoni(m): 3:26pm On Jun 07, 2007
feelgood:

Guys, It's difficult buying Oceanic, mutual benefits; it appears nobody wants to sell.
What do you guys think of Lasaco, C & I, Wema and Skye. I got 500,000naira to play with for only 3months - which stocks can I buy? Advise please.
Many thanks for the great work you folks are doing here on this thread messrs Frankiriri, aylala, easimoni et al

If you need the money back in 3 mos, u are better off with fixed deposit. To buy and sell will cost you ~6% so you have to make >10% for this to be worth your while. Not sure anyone can guarantee there won't be a market-wide correction as soon as you put your money in. You really should be able to wait at least 1 yr with anything you invest.

If you are prepared to bite the bullet, I'd suggest a 50/50 split btwn GTBank and ABC Transport followed by a lot of prayers.  wink
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Olonzo: 4:21pm On Jun 07, 2007
Nice job guys, very informative and wall str standard wink.

Just seeking a bit of advice from the Gurus, i am thinking of selling my vitafoam shares so i can increase my capital for 1st banks offer (of which i have rights issue). I have not made much returns on the vitafoam (bought at N5.15 and currently N6.6) and am a bit sceptical as per its outlook. Should I go on with this strategy or should i hold and get funds from elsewhere.

Any advice would be Ace.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by diva4eva(f): 4:41pm On Jun 07, 2007
hello peeps
Please any gist on cornerstone insurance? why was the price suspended for 3 days. it seems cornerstone is not really going to do well anytime soon. please any news on corenerstone insurance would be highly appreciated
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by easimoni(m): 7:20pm On Jun 07, 2007
diva4eva:

hello peeps
Please any gist on cornerstone insurance? why was the price suspended for 3 days. it seems cornerstone is not really going to do well anytime soon. please any news on corenerstone insurance would be highly appreciated

@diva4eva, Look on the other thread for a response, my wrist is starting to ache!

@Wanaj0, thanks a mil for your Oando advice. I was about to bury a ton of money in that stock. I googled them based on your post and lo and behold! There is some info on the Johannesburg stock exchange that Oando is going to list 200M additional shares to exchange with Ocean and Oil. Granted they'll get some equity in other Ocean and Oil subsidiaries (which should add to Oando's bottom line), but dem suppose tell us self. I still think it's a buy, but not a home-run like I thought a few days back. I owe you one.

Now my wrist really hurts!  embarassed
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Tmoni(m): 7:29pm On Jun 07, 2007
@easimoni,
you too bad,
can i send u a personal list of my portfolio and gain your highly respected advice on what to do with what i have
cheers,

would appreciate a yes
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by shey(m): 10:15am On Jun 08, 2007
@easimoni
thanks bro i get the mail but how do i sell this shares since i dont have a broker and and how is transcorp doing now i bought it at 7.5 and my pz at 11 can u advise on how to sell i know i have the cert for pz but am not sure about trascorp  
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by wanaj0: 10:47am On Jun 08, 2007
easimoni:

@diva4eva, Look on the other thread for a response, my wrist is starting to ache!

@Wanaj0, thanks a mil for your Oando advice. I was about to bury a ton of money in that stock. I googled them based on your post and lo and behold! There is some info on the Johannesburg stock exchange that Oando is going to list 200M additional shares to exchange with Ocean and Oil. Granted they'll get some equity in other Ocean and Oil subsidiaries (which should add to Oando's bottom line), but them suppose tell us self. I still think it's a buy, but not a home-run like I thought a few days back. I owe you one.

Now my wrist really hurts!  embarassed

Ocean and Oil has no subsidiary per se. However, they own shares in the subsidiaries of OandO group. The exercise is basically to buy out the holdings of the other shareholders in teh subsidiaries and now have a group structure. Implication is that the percentage holding of Ocean and Oil in Oando will increase!!!!!! What an easy way to make money! I doubt whether Ocean and Oil actually paid to own the shares in the Oando subsidiaries. Basically Tinubu and his group are given themself BONUS shares!!!

Note that the additional shares will depress earnings so OandO will not be that fanstatic!

Personally, Oil marketing companies are not a good buy until there is FULL deregulation. OandO is well positioned for growth under a deregulated environment provided they can sort out corporate governance issues.

This article may help:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/?c=132&a=13784
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by toyibanj(m): 10:59am On Jun 08, 2007
Wanaj0
Thanks fo your insight in this Oando issue. I also almost bought their shares a few days ago without knowledge of this restructuring. It certainly pay to research before buying. It seems there are many knowledgable people on nairaland. Can i have your private email as i'm sure i can learn from you. Mine is tbanjoko@hotmail.com .
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Tmoni(m): 11:01am On Jun 08, 2007
@EASIMONI,

I JUST SENT U A MAIL AND WOULD GRACIOUSLY APPRECIATE UR ANALYSIS AND ADVICE,

CHEERS MATE
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by wanaj0: 1:58pm On Jun 08, 2007
toyibanj:

Wanaj0
Thanks fo your insight in this Oando issue. I also almost bought their shares a few days ago without knowledge of this restructuring. It certainly pay to research before buying. It seems there are many knowledgable people on nairaland. Can i have your private email as i'm sure i can learn from you. Mine is tbanjoko@hotmail.com .

My e-mail address is ade_aoa@yahoo.com

Please, I ahve not said that you should not buy OandO. I have only highlighted the risk associated with that decision. Put this way, OandO is one of teh best petroleum marketing companies out there. However, looking at the market and the economy as a whole, the petroleum marketing companies is not the best place to invest.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by kanugab(m): 4:33pm On Jun 08, 2007
pls i need help
is there anyway i can dispose my oceanic without certificate. i bought it at ipo and will like to dispose it , but am yet to receive my certificate.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by easimoni(m): 4:36pm On Jun 08, 2007
kanugab:

please i need help
is there anyway i can dispose my oceanic without certificate. i bought it at ipo and will like to dispose it , but am yet to receive my certificate.

Sorry but you have to wait!  sad You can't sell without a cert. You may be looking at 4-6 more months
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by enurayce: 5:13pm On Jun 08, 2007
To all the pros in the house
I gave the shares of the following banks:Zenith,Oceanic,UBN,GTB,Diamond and IBPLC to a stock broker for verification and its over too months now yet no job done.Is this scenario proper?If not what should i do.

Also i will like to know the current transaction rates for buying,selling and verification of shares n when it took effect.
Will be glad to hear from you all
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by frankiriri(m): 11:27am On Jun 09, 2007
@ wanajo
Stop misinforming people. You are mistaken about the reconstruction process.
From the link you provided it is clear that OANDO is simply doing a reverse spin off. The subsidiary companies are not 100% owned by OANDO so what they are proposing is that the share holders of those companies should sell their shares to OANDO in return for shares of the enlarged OANDO. It in no way would enrich the Ocean and Oil group. The only benefit that they will get is that they will have more effective control of the companies if they can get 100% control
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by frankiriri(m): 11:32am On Jun 09, 2007
@ wanajo
If Ocean and Oil did not pay for their shares then how did they get control. Stop firing like a loose canon. You could be sued for libel
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by wanaj0: 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2007
frankiriri:

@ wanajo
If Ocean and Oil did not pay for their shares then how did they get control. Stop firing like a loose canon. You could be sued for libel

If you know how companies are started, you will not say what you are saying.

What does it cost to incorporate a company? Those companies were incorporated with OandO and Ocean and Oil as shareholders (except gaslink).

Go and read more about Ocean and Oil and its subsidiaries and how they are milking OandO dry!!!!!!!!!

If you know how mergers and acqusitions work and how you consolidate your holdings then you will know what OandO is up to.

Right now, Oando has less then 600m oustanding shares. Check how many they are about giving to Ocean and Oil now in exchange for Ocean and Oil holdings in the subsidiaries?

Ask for how Ocean and Oil became share holders in such subsidiaries.

Ask for why the former Head of strategy at OandO left.

Go and find out how Lenux oil became core investor in Eternal oil.

Read the prospectus and see how Lenux will be taking their rights without paying a dime!!!!!

Sorry, I don't agin anything by misinforming people. If you are not clear, kindly ask!
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by frankiriri(m): 1:34am On Jun 10, 2007
Pally you are not saying anything.
I know how mergers work. The link you provided does not support your position. You are just venting your beef for the ocean aznd oil guys.
I have incorporated a company and I am a chartered accountant with over 9 years of audit and accounting experience so I know what I am saying.
Get your facts ( and theory) straight before posting on a public forum.
wanaj0:

Go and read more about Ocean and Oil and its subsidiaries and how they are milking OandO dry!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me where I will get such write up to read.
I do know how mergers are done and I can say that from the information you have provided there is no basis for your claims.
Ocean and oil bought into unipetrol as a core investor with a 30% stake. they then used that to get Agip and merged both firmsn to get OANDO. From the link you provided it is evident that EGM is going to be held to get the other share holders to endorse the share exchange scheme , in no part of that link was it mentioned that the shares to be exchanged would be that of Ocean and oil.
Pally, be guided.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by wanaj0: 11:12am On Jun 11, 2007
frankiriri:

Pally you are not saying anything.
I know how mergers work. The link you provided does not support your position. You are just venting your beef for the ocean aznd oil guys.
I have incorporated a company and I am a chartered accountant with over 9 years of audit and accounting experience so I know what I am saying.
Get your facts ( and theory) straight before posting on a public forum. Please tell me where I will get such write up to read.
I do know how mergers are done and I can say that from the information you have provided there is no basis for your claims.
Ocean and oil bought into unipetrol as a core investor with a 30% stake. they then used that to get Agip and merged both firmsn to get OANDO. From the link you provided it is evident that EGM is going to be held to get the other share holders to endorse the share exchange scheme , in no part of that link was it mentioned that the shares to be exchanged would be that of Ocean and oil.
Pally, be guided.

Maybe you need to go back and read the thread all over again. I started talking about Oando's plans before posting the link you alluded to. The link was just to show that the information is now in the open.

Yes Oando will call an EGM. I await how many shareholders will get the notice before the EGM.

Sorry, I don't have any beef with the Oando guys. I just put things in perspective.

If you wnat to read more about Ocean and Oil, go to their website. If you want to know about the dealings of Oando, well find out about Gaslink and how the promoter was shoved aside. Find out why one of them left for the petrochemical plant.

As per your being an accountant, congratulation. For your info, I was already in Pricewaterhouse as far back as 1994. That was 13 years ago!!!!! I was doing audit and business advisory services!

If you don't know that it is Ocean and Oil shares that would be exchanged then you need to go and look at the shareholding of the OandO subsidiaries!
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Tmoni(m): 5:25pm On Jun 11, 2007
dnt u just love squabbles ,

especially when intellectuals do it with words,

back to the topic which i belive,am speaking nairalanders mind
which stocks will make us average nigerians rich
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Aproko(f): 5:57pm On Jun 11, 2007
Tmoni:

dnt u just love squabbles ,

especially when intellectuals do it with words,

back to the topic which i believe,am speaking Nairaland users mind

abi oh!!

please aylala, esymoni, chartered accountants, pwc and all the other gurus whats your take on 1st bank po? do you think the market will be oversaturated and share prices will be stagnant or rise slowly? and why does gtbank scare me so much?

nobody has talked about linkage assurance, but somehow investors have more than 100% returns in less than 3months!!!!
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by shigidi(m): 6:02pm On Jun 11, 2007
@ aylala
really respect ur advice ,top notch all the time. which penny stocks will u advise for now
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by frankiriri(m): 11:29pm On Jun 11, 2007
Tmoni:

back to the topic which i believe,am speaking Nairaland users mind
Yeah, Let 's do just that cos I dont see us coming to any agreement on this. We definitely went to different schools of accounting and must have been thot differnt definitions of merger and acquisition. I rest my case.
On the First Bank PO I consider it a must buy for any one interested in long term returns.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by easimoni(m): 1:52am On Jun 12, 2007
Aproko:

please aylala, esymoni, chartered accountants, pwc and all the other gurus whats your take on 1st bank po? do you think the market will be oversaturated and share prices will be stagnant or rise slowly? and why does gtbank scare me so much?

We devoted an entire thread to the 1st bank PO. All our opinions are there. Not my thing but def a good investment.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-45329.160.html

GTBank should not scare you. It's one of the most fundamentally sound banks on the NSE.

As per all the questions on insurance and penny stocks, I don't follow them. Not trying to be "uppity" but this is only a part-time job 4 me and I can only follow so many stocks. I'm sure someone else will soon respond.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by wanaj0: 4:49pm On Jun 12, 2007
frankiriri:

Yeah, Let 's do just that because I don't see us coming to any agreement on this. We definitely went to different schools of accounting and must have been thot differnt definitions of merger and acquisition. I rest my case.
On the First Bank PO I consider it a must buy for any one interested in long term returns.

No ill feelings. We can always agree to disagree. Hope you will attend the EGM?

On First Bank IPO, if you are not an agressive investor go for First Bank IPO. The returns will be moderate. For agressive investors, looking for capital excellent appreciation, you may have to allow it to pass.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by toyibanj(m): 11:17pm On Jun 12, 2007
Wanaj0
your e-mail is bouncing back, sure you gave correct email. pls e mail me at tbanjoko@hotmail.com. thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (46) (Reply)

Crowdfunding Investment Platforms And Options (non Agritech Categories) / "Option C" Investors Storm Oko Oloyun’s Office To Demand Their Money / CBN Warns Nigerians Against “MMM”, Calls It Wonder Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.