Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,751 members, 7,844,462 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) (18433 Views)

APC Shops For Saraki’s Replacement- The Sun Newspaper / New Salaries For Buhari, Ministers, Govs & Others- Sun News / Law And Disorder In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 4:12am On Oct 11, 2010
^^^^^dont get me wrong i have never said that women were powerless in 9ja, just that it was a male orientated society. having a woman controlling tough looking, scarred and bullet ridden guys such as her number two Sunday is lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

never heard of these tough area mamas before, i guess this was education for me.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 5:42am On Oct 11, 2010
TewMuch:

In Yoruba culture, women are not powerless or dominated like you think. They actually, historically have political power. They are not repressed like other tribes. I am not suprised to see an Area girl like tawa. She is no ordinary woman, you see the men say she fights like a guy. SO she has earned their respect. I have seen some area mama's beat up guys too many times in Lagos. No man wants to get into a fight with those women, they will f*uck you up. No joke. cheesy
LOL I rem in primary school, I used to end up  fighting the school boys. Always beating up a different boy each week [ENJOYED IT!].

So right, Yoruba women get spine. They repressed ones only repress themselves because even tho culture permit they respect their elders/man, our culture does not permit us to lie down like a mat when we feel repressed. Politically, Yoruba women have tried to fight back i.e CONCERN MOTHERS OF OGUN STATE political movement, Ekiti parade political movement against Oni's dishonest behaviour ( tongue ).

Infact, I see a Yoruba female president happening in my lifetime.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 7:43am On Oct 11, 2010
So from watching the documentary I picked up the following which are the most important:

Area boys love Arsenal football club!

Any other thing is irrelevant!

grin
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by vanitty: 9:13am On Oct 11, 2010
""The Ghettos of London remain 100 times better than many of the posh areas in Lagos""

Another random statistics from our resident ignoramus undecided

Back to the documentary
The documentary was so funny, the funniest part was probably the part of the elderly man with his suit on and book folder lamenting how mc olumo people was the one spoiling our names overseas "I am a member of the local government" The reply - -"Hmmph e wo bi enu e se ruun" i am a member of the national assembly" "He is not balanced, he is begging for money"" That scene made the whole documentary. LMAO.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by reindeer: 9:24am On Oct 11, 2010
Na true o!
Area boys seem to be in love with arsenal FC grin grin grin
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by candylips(m): 9:30am On Oct 11, 2010
lol the guy no balance. grin
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by nex(m): 9:44am On Oct 11, 2010
It's so sad that a lot of you do not understand why the BBC has been attacking Lagos for a couple of years now.

London sees itself as the financial and cultural capital of the world, and since Nigeria returned to democracy, Lagos has been gradually taking a bite off the world finance market.

Now, the BBC is financed with £8 billion annually to broadcast British propaganda, which includes praise-singing for themselves and their friends, and attack on their rivals or perceived threats.

Has it not bothered you that even in Nigeria, there are far worse places in Kebbi, Bauchi, Jigawa and Edo, but the BBC is always targeting Lagos. They are only trying to threaten financial investors away from a competitor. I believe it's about time Lagos state too makes its own documentary because this is not about Britain and Nigeria, it's about London and Lagos competing for world finance, and London is cheating by employing the £8 billion/annum British Propaganda machine to throw dirt on Lagos.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by KnowAll(m): 9:56am On Oct 11, 2010
Eko Atlantic City would shock those BBC batar*ds. I hope it happens, and I hope the quality of build is as good and realistic as the video potrays. Unfortunately with the Ibru's and Akingbola's out of the action, who would build those sky scraper's in Eko Atlantic City. If anything Ibru invested wisely in good propertise in Ikoyi , help moving prices upwards and also help moving rental incomes upwards in that district.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 9:58am On Oct 11, 2010
nex:

It's so sad that a lot of you do not understand why the BBC has been attacking Lagos for a couple of years now.

London sees itself as the financial and cultural capital of the world, and since Nigeria returned to democracy, Lagos has been gradually taking a bite off the world finance market.

Now, the BBC is financed with £8 billion annually to broadcast British propaganda, which includes praise-singing for themselves and their friends, and attack on their rivals or perceived threats.

Has it not bothered you that even in Nigeria, there are far worse places in Kebbi, Bauchi, Jigawa and Edo, but the BBC is always targeting Lagos. They are only trying to threaten financial investors away from a competitor. I believe it's about time Lagos state too makes its own documentary because this is not about Britain and Nigeria, it's about London and Lagos competing for world finance, and London is cheating by employing the £8 billion/annum British Propaganda machine to throw dirt on Lagos.

How daft are you?  undecided

Japan, China, New york are all financial power house so to if your logic add up, then bbc should be "attacking" these places. But I guess you are one of those mumu around here who cannot see things for what it is without trying to rope in some mind-bending mumu assumptions.

Keep it up.

Lagos is well known, an almost an embodiment of what Nigeria is all about - The diverse culture, the business, the different atmosphere, the rich, the poor, the 525 or so languages, the corruption etc.

I can't be bothered explaining shiiiit again unless you show some logic. undecided
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 10:00am On Oct 11, 2010
KnowAll:

Eko Atlantic City would shock those BBC batar*ds. I hope it happens, and I hope the quality of build is as good and realistic as the video potrays. Unfortunately with the Ibru's and Akingbola's out of the action, who would build those sky scraper's in Eko Atlantic City. If anything Ibru invested wisely in good propertise in Ikoyi , help moving prices upwards and also help moving rental incomes upwards in that district.

How will this shock bbc? Please enlighten me.

Nah wah o.

Instead of boasting about what is yet to happen, abeg focus on now. Gosh, typical naijan mentality.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 11, 2010
nex:

A lot of folks with unsound reasoning do not realy see it that way.what i still don't understand is bbc's motive of such reporting if not for propaganda .
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 10:07am On Oct 11, 2010
~Bluetooth:

A lot of folks with unsound reasoning do not realy see it that way.what i still don't understand is bbc's motive of such reporting if not for propaganda .

Another view is that, people like yourself will forever have the "victim mentality". You know, oooohhhhh the bbc is out to get us.

Louis theorx has been making documentary before from a long time. He's taken on several issues from exposing the gang culture in the UK (He was mugged live on camera for his laptop and threathened with a Knife in Brixton Uk) and he's just a long line of journalist who do a lot of things that it is a strange concept in naija I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Theroux

He's taken on Scientology, the underground world of wrestling, plastic surgery etc.

BBC if I remember correctly have only made two recently on Naija. So what is there to sugest they are "targeting" us? Omo don't get big headed jare. Other nations, including UK do get similar taste in probably more share.

Check his videos on youtube.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by nex(m): 10:10am On Oct 11, 2010
@El Razur

Please then can you enlighten us as to the motive towards these documentaries? Knowing full well that a lot of time, energy, resources, and capital is expended in putting together these documentaries about Lagos, please tell us the benefit to the Producers and Executive Producers.

By the way, no need for unnecessary insults YET. Pretend to be civilized in explaining the gains behind the production of this piece of film. Thank you.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by IBEXY(m): 10:15am On Oct 11, 2010
As soon as I walked into my work place this morning, its been laughter at me. I have spent all morning trying to dispel the negativity spread by Lous Theroux and his one sided show. I imagine all the times I have tried to defend naija and now another documentary in less than 6 months after "Welcome to Lagos". I think the BBC has delibrately set out to destroy the image of Nigeria for some political reasons.

I dont agree with people extorting money from innocent citizens or "agbero" sponsored governors or even state governors eloping with "street thugs" but why must bbc always show the bad side of naija?

If you have been to Peckham, Dalston, Tottenham etc you would know London has its own version of area boys too. Go out in the night in these places are see for yourself - packs of hooded hooligans roaming around and harrasing and mugging people. Its the same here as well.

Why cant the BBC show Abuja or other beautiful places in naija? Is London more beautiful than Abuja? I doubt.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 11, 2010
ElRazur:

Another view is that, people like yourself will forever have the "victim mentality". You know, oooohhhhh the bbc is out to get us.

Louis theorx has been making documentary before from a long time. He's taken on several issues from exposing the gang culture in the UK (He was mugged live on camera for his laptop and threathened with a Knife in Brixton Uk) and he's just a long line of journalist who do a lot of things that it is a strange concept in naija I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Theroux

He's taken on scientology, the underground world of wrestling, plastic surgery etc.

BBC if I remember correctly have only made two recently on Naija. So what is there to sugest they are "targeting" us? Omo don't get big headed jare. Other nations, including UK do get similar taste in probably more share.

Check his video on youtube.
Na today ? The british from the days of colonialism have always seen Africa race as primitive,uncivilized & has nothing to contribute to the world,so nothing special if they are trying hard to extend their hand of imperialism through media propaganda in this contemporary age.
I'm of the opinion that African and indeed Nigeria has a freedom to express herself and decide for herself her own way of life without intimidation and oppression from the west !
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 10:18am On Oct 11, 2010
nex:

@El Razur

Please then can you enlighten us as to the motive towards these documentaries? Knowing full well that a lot of time, energy, resources, and capital is expended in putting together these documentaries about Lagos, please tell us the benefit to the Producers and Executive Producers.

By the way, no need for unnecessary insults YET. Pretend to be civilized in explaining the gains behind the production of this piece of film. Thank you.

Louis (please read up on him) is an investigative journalist. One.

Naija is a rich pickings for people like him. Two.

If you add those two together, it is clear to see why it will be of interest to the whole public.

I said it before and I am saying it again, if we do not want to attract criticism like this perhaps we should fix our issues first? I don't know if you watched the documentary but the "Spokeman" for oluomo said that "this way of life is almost become normal".  In other words, lawlessness, bribery, contesting for office with fear and intimidation is almost seen as norm. The problem of course is that these issue will carry on if people like you, me and Louis fold their arms an do nothing.

I can tell you that you and I are guilty, but at least the Journalist is pushing something out they we do not want the world to see. You see, actions like this will only get us to change or at least make attempts to address those issues raised.

Do you think it is acceptable to take money off Motorist, etc and without nothing to show for it? Do you agree with the issues that were raised in the documentary?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by asha80(m): 10:19am On Oct 11, 2010
IBEXY:

As soon as I walked into my work place this morning, its been laughter at me. I have spent all morning trying to dispel the negativity spread by Lous Theroux and his one sided show. I imagine all the times I have tried to defend naija and now another documentary in less than 6 months after "Welcome to Lagos". I think the BBC has delibrately set out to destroy the image of Nigeria for some political reasons.

I dont agree with people extorting money from innocent citizens or "agbero" sponsored governors or even state governors eloping with "street thugs" but why must bbc always show the bad side of naija?

If you have been to Peckham, Dalston, Tottenham etc you would know London has its own version of area boys too. Go out in the night in these places are see for yourself - packs of hooded hooligans roaming around and harrasing and mugging people. Its the same here as well.

Why cant the BBC show Abuja or other beautiful places in naija? Is London more beautiful than Abuja? I doubt.

Is this supposed to be a joke ?When last have you been to abuja?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 10:23am On Oct 11, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Na today ? The british from the days of colonialism have always seen Africa race as primitive,uncivilized & has nothing to contribute to the world,so nothing special if they are trying hard to extend their hand of imperialism through media propaganda in this contemporary age.
I'm of the opinion that African and indeed Nigeria has a freedom to express herself  and decide for herself her own way of life without intimidation and oppression from the west !

Man mi, ki lo ma hun se gan?

Instead of you dealing with the issue I raised, you ended up regurgitating the same old lines you have posted before.

The British of the colonialism days is not the same as BBC. One.

I don't know if you think you are primitive, I am sure I am not and I disagree with what you are saying.

As for the rest of your post, it makes very little sense to the issue I raised. Look, here is what you are doing:

Me - BBC is doing well by exposing some of the issues that do not seem to get addressed

You - Oh they colonised us, called us monkey hence they should leave us alone

Me - That is not the point. Are you suggesting we shouldn't expose this society ills

You -  The colonial masters paid for the BBC to dis-stabilise us. .  .

undecided

How can you be so stuck in the past? A few people have told you before in this thread that those who are stuck in the past never progress. Smh.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 10:25am On Oct 11, 2010
asha 80:

Is this supposed to be a joke ?When last have you been to abuja?

Asha, believe it or not, this is what pisses most people off.

A few people mentioned this in "vocal slender" thread too.

I think it is best to ignore people like that. They really are the reason why we have some of the problems we face.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by debosky(m): 10:43am On Oct 11, 2010
ElRazur:

So from watching the documentary I picked up the following which are the most important:

grin

I agree 100% grin

On a serious note, I really enjoyed the documentary. . . . it’s unfortunate that you need BBC journalists to give such a detailed insight into how the NURTW/area boys/agberos work in Lagos.

I don’t think Nigeria was painted too badly by the documentary, I take a pragmatic view.

What we have in NURTW and MC are a primitive form of organisation and structure. Clearly it isn’t ideal and is prone to abuse, but there is obviously a chain of command and a level of accountability, even if this is quite low.

The key is to gradually transform this primitive and corrupt structure into something that will be of more social and economic benefit to Lagosians as a whole, instead of thinking of it solely in ‘gang’ terms.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 10:50am On Oct 11, 2010
ElRazur:

Man mi, ki lo ma hun se gan?

Instead of you dealing with the issue I raised, you ended up regurgitating the same old lines you have posted before.

The British of the colonialism days is not the same as BBC. One.

I don't know if you think you are primitive, I am sure I am not and I disagree with what you are saying.

As for the rest of your post, it makes very little sense to the issue I raised. Look, here is what you are doing:

Me - BBC is doing well by exposing some of the issues that do not seem to get addressed

You - Oh they colonised us, called us monkey hence they should leave us alone

Me - That is not the point. Are you suggesting we shouldn't expose this society ills

You -  The colonial masters paid for the BBC to dis-stabilise us. .  .

undecided

How can you be so stuck in the past? A few people have told you before in this thread that those who are stuck in the past never progress. Smh.
And how has anybody address the BBC welcome to lagos since it was broadcasted ? Any difference in Lagos since then ?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 10:54am On Oct 11, 2010
~Bluetooth:

And how has anybody address the BBC welcome to lagos since it was broadcasted ? Any difference in Lagos since then ?

Rome wasn't built in a day. smiley

It takes time for years of none or little accountability to go away, it do not just disappear over night unless there is a revolution.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 11, 2010
Even though this program brings to the fore what is obtainable in Nigeria, I honestly do not believe that the BBC are interested in Lagos the way you guys are making it out.

Esther of Welcome to Lagos, Loius theroux and the other girl that was used to nab fake pastors in the UK are simply trainee journalists. A part of me believe they probably came up with these program ideas to present to their bosses as to what they can do.

With the exception of the fake men of God in the UK with sick minds i dont think the programs have taught us anything we did not already know.

Until the likes of David Dimbleby and Nick Robinson are unleashed on Nigeria these programs should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by KnowAll(m): 11:01am On Oct 11, 2010
How will this shock bbc? Please enlighten me.

Nah wah o.

Instead of boasting about what is yet to happen, abeg focus on now. Gosh, typical naijan mentality.

I[b] know London means everything to u, but let me burst your bubble a little bit, Sinagpore was poorer than Lagos in 1965 not to talk of London which was a million miles ahead then, but today Singapore’s under-ground system, road networks are something to behold, the neatness and cleanliness of that city surpasses London 10 folds.

That is why I like Fashola, our politicians should stop using London as a yardstick, we should be thinking big, Eko Atalantic City is 7 miles long and 1.5 miles wide, that is about 7 times the size of the most modern part of London which is Docklands.

If we can make this project a reality, it would have a whoa factor not only in Africa but in the rest of the world especially Britain who see Africa as a dumping ground, a  backward and a  retrogressive society.

Can you imagine in this day and age Nigeria is buying 1960’s and 1970’s locomotives in other to revamp her dead railway system, when we should be thinking bullet train of Japan OR TGV of France.

We need development minded people at the centre, the FG Government has had some really bad administrators in the last 20 years, I hope 2011 would usher in a new direction for the country and the thinking of the leaders we have from then onwards[/b].
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 11, 2010
ElRazur:

grin

insert sly dig at the wetin dem call them 'gooners'

by their fans you shall know them

show me you fellow fan and i will tell you wh u are

debosky and elrazur are footie hooligans in waiting  cheesy cheesy
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 11, 2010
ElRazur:

Rome wasn't built in a day. smiley

It takes time for years of none or little accountability to go away, it do not just disappear over night unless there is a revolution.
So the report is to incite a revolution or what ?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 11:05am On Oct 11, 2010
KnowAll:

I[b] know London means everything to u, but let me burst your bubble a little bit, Sinagpore was poorer than Lagos in 1965 not to talk of London which was a million miles ahead then, but today Singapore’s under-ground system, road networks are something to behold, the neatness and cleanliness of that city surpasses London 10 folds.

That is why I like Fashola, our politicians should stop using London as a yardstick, we should be thinking big, Eko Atalantic City is 7 miles long and 1.5 miles wide, that is about 7 times the size of the most modern part of London which is Docklands.

If we can make this project a reality, it would have a whoa factor not only in Africa but in the rest of the world especially Britain who see Africa as a dumping ground, a  backward and a  retrogressive society.

Can you imagine in this day and age Nigeria is buying 1960’s and 1970’s locomotives in other to revamp her dead railway system, when we should be thinking bullet train of Japan OR TGV of France.

We need development minded people at the centre, the FG Government has had some really bad administrators in the last 20 years, I hope 2011 would usher in a new direction for the country and the thinking of the leaders we have from then onwards[/b].

So you've done nothing but made assumptions about me and then posted some more stuff that is not even realised yet.

Seriously, enlighten jare. undecided  You know, talk about now and what is realistic.   .    .
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 11:06am On Oct 11, 2010
~Bluetooth:

So the report is to incite a revolution or what ?

lwkmd. Lord have mercy. smh.

I will let someone else answer you jare. You are too funny. grin
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 11, 2010

a revolution will simply wind up putting the likes of MC in control

in the event of a total collapse of law and order, they are the only ones with some form of organization on ground
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 11, 2010
ElRazur:

lwkmd. Lord have mercy. smh.

I will let someone else answer you jare. You are too funny. grin
You may want to quit responding to that dunderhead.

That guy is as dumb as they come
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 11, 2010
OMO IBO:

You may want to quit responding to that dunderhead.

That guy is as dumb as they come
Are you ok ? What's my business with you ? You better look before you throw insult anyhow. Ode
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by debosky(m): 11:26am On Oct 11, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I'm of the opinion that African and indeed [b]Nigeria has a freedom to express herself and decide for herself her own way of life [/b]without intimidation and oppression from the west !

Can you highlight which Nigerians chose to have a way of life comprising of armed thugs and gangs running the transportation and petty trading networks in Lagos?

PS - no one is 'oppressing' you - most if not all Nigerians are not pleased with the area boy phenomenon. Instead of addressing the issue, which is the breakdown of law and order and the influx of gangs to fill the vacuum, you're going on about 'propaganda'.

If you can point out just one non-factual aspect of the documentary then we can have a conversation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Say What? "Humans Turn Into Beasts And Eat Our Livestock" - Plateau Tourism Boss / Idoma Group Lambasts Northern Governors For Defending Fulani Herdsmen / We Won’t Force Tinubu To Support Akeredolu – Dr. Tunji Abayomi,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.