Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot (1021 Views)

(as Of Today)!!!biafra Alert!!!....finally Buhari Has Shot Himself In The Foot / Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters / We Will Vote Jonathan Despite Our Regrets In Voting Him In 2011 – Middle Belt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by AkinEgba: 6:35pm On Oct 09, 2010
Golden jubilee awards: Chukwumerije faults exclusion of Okpara, Orizu, Obi
Published on 08 October 2010 with 3 comments
[Post a Comment]

MALACHY UZENDU,
Deputy News Editor, Abuja

MEMBER of the National Assembly from Abia State, Senator Uche Chukwumerije has joined notable Nigerians who have faulted the mode of selection of 50 Distinguished Nigerians for Golden Jubilee Awards by the federal government, saying it was wrong not to have included some notable Igbo personalities.
Chukwumerije who did not hide his feelings, noted that it was not only unsatisfactory but also an insult to the intelligence of the people of Nigeria and Ndigbo in particular, not to have included them in such award.
Senator Chukwumerije noted that �in an exercise of that magnitude that excluded notable Igbo leaders who played major historic roles in Nigeria such as the Premier of the defunct Eastern region, Dr. M.I. Okpara, Nigerian�s first Senate President and Acting President who was in-charge of the nation when the first military coup of 1966 took place, Dr. Nwafor Orizu, as well as the celebrated mathematician, Prof. Chike Obi among others could only be said to be unacceptable�.
In a letter entitled: �Distinguished Nigerians/Friends of Nigeria Golden Jubilee Special Presidential Awards�, the senator representing Abia North Senatorial District, insisted that the criteria for the selection of the awardees �were not explicitly stated and published�.
Wondering how the criteria for the selection were reached, the senator asked �is it pioneer status in the sense of the first to emerge since 1960 in a given field? Or the critical impact of an individual�s endeavour on the development of a given sector? Or class or school-mate categorization of founders of the nation? Or academic/intellectual eminence? Or eminence of office of an occupant?�
According to him, �none or a combination of these criteria explains the inclusion of certain individuals or the exclusion of some others. Why, for instance, was Michael Okpara omitted while all other Premiers were included? Or why was Prof. Chike Obi, our pioneer Mathematician internationally celebrated by academic peers, omitted? Or Dr. Nwafor Orizu, the first Senate President of The First Republic and Acting President on several occasions were omitted?
Senator Chukwumerije stressed that �it is difficult to escape the conclusion that the criteria, whatever they are, were subordinated to the ever-overriding factor of federal character�, which he maintained was most unfortunate.
According to him, �this limiting factor was naturally compounded by other congenital Nigeria factors � the same factors that have reduced our National Honours Awards list to a comedy script.�

How can anyone talk of honoring national figures without the first senate president, the first premier of Eastern Nigeria and the first person to earn a PhD in mathematics?
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 09, 2010
Gej missed it big time. At least the first Phd holder in maths deserves a honour if the first olympic medalist got same
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by Faeb: 6:58pm On Oct 09, 2010
Foolish article without a source. Why not ask why Jonathan didn't dole out 150 million awards to each and every Nigeria? Tribalistic rubbish.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by sbeezy8: 7:41pm On Oct 09, 2010
Jonathan didnt include ALOT of worthy people from the West and from the SS either. no biggie

I think folks like this re just pulling to find something where theres nothing.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by AkinEgba: 8:03pm On Oct 09, 2010
What was the criteria of including somebody like Oba Adesoji Aderemi (late Oni of Ife, not even Oni of the entire Yorubaland) whose national contribution I cannot remember compared to Chike Obi? Why would the premiers of the West and North be honored and not that of the east? I just used Aderemi as an example, as there are a dozen or so others who were honored without any obvious contribution to national development, missing out important people in their place.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 09, 2010
Jonathan has shot himself in the foot severally and severely that
he is now on a wheel chair(leg-less)
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by Igwe9(m): 8:50pm On Oct 09, 2010
ferari90:

lol, you seem insatiable to me.
Anyways, Democracy gives every man a right to be his own oppressor.

smiley
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by MaziUche0(m): 9:10pm On Oct 09, 2010
He definitely shot himself in the foot with this one.

Dr. Michael Okpara, a personal hero of mine should have been considered one of the 50 Distinguished Nigerians. He improved not only Igboland, but the East in general. His improvements helped Igbos, Ijaws, Idoma, Igala, Ogoni, Ibibios and so and so on.

GEJ is suppose to be from the East and not include him? This is the highest form of insult.

And what about Professor Chike Obi and Dr. Nwafor Orizu. No one who took part in coups should have been placed on that list.

Goodluck is just slapping the Igbo face left and right with his insults.

I am extremely upset over Dr. Michael Okpara who hails from my home state.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by Igwe9(m): 9:26pm On Oct 09, 2010
You may be right, but that definitely is not what this country needs right now, if he (gej) did not recognize them today, tomorrow MaziUche0 would recognize them when he finally becomes the president of the country smiley or how sure are you that the next person other than you would do so ?
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by Comingo: 9:39pm On Oct 09, 2010
people should shut up. He gave you guys a big post and is that not enough? at least he try for ndigbo.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by houvest: 9:41pm On Oct 09, 2010
Those omissions were huge as well as Akanu Ibiam , Ajayi Crowther, Mary slessor, Lord lugard, etc but I think Chukwumerije was right when he observed that Federal character was the culprit. he did not blame Jonathan after all he did not do  the choosing but could have done a better vetting job. However  a list of 50 men   cannot capture all worthy Nigerians to be included and so such omissions should not make GEJ lose Igbo votes. However the foreigners in that list could have been included as an addendum to make room for more worthy Nigerians.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by AkinEgba: 9:42pm On Oct 09, 2010
houvest:

Those omissions were huge as well as Akanu Ibiam , Ajayi Crowther, Mary slessor, Lord lugard, etc but I think Chukwumerije was right when he observed that Federal character was the culprit. he did not blame Jonathan after all he did not do  the choosing but could have done a better vetting job. However  a list of 50 men   cannot capture all worthy Nigerians to be included and so such omissions should not make GEJ lose Igbo votes. However the foreigners in that list could have been included as an addendum to make room for more worthy Nigerians.

You cannot honor the premier of North and West and leave out that of the East. That one is unforgivable.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by Onlytruth(m): 9:44pm On Oct 09, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Senator Chukwumerije stressed that �i[size=16pt]t is difficult to escape the conclusion that the criteria, whatever they are, were subordinated to the ever-overriding factor of federal character[/size]�, which he maintained was most unfortunate.
According to him, �this limiting factor was naturally compounded by other congenital Nigeria factors �[size=16pt] the same factors that have reduced our National Honours Awards list to a comedy script.[/size]�

I couldn't have put it better.
Isn't it ironic that the rest of Nigerians are comfortable with FEDERAL CHARACTER, but some of them oppose zoning?
What type of hypocrisy is that?

I saw people like Tafawa Balewa (who thought that Nigeria was a comic script) on that list.  undecided

For anyone to not include Michael I. Okpara on that list is really insulting to the Igbo and ALL easterners (though some of these former easterners will  keep denying that Okpara improved their areas). Jonathan acted true to his beliefs here. Quite unfortunate.

Well, life goes on.  sad
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by MaziUche0(m): 9:58pm On Oct 09, 2010
Comingo:

people should shut up. He gave you guys a big post and is that not enough? at least he try for ndigbo.

How about you shut up! You think some small post, will satisfy the Ndigbo? We want it all!
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by chyz(m): 10:00pm On Oct 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

I couldn't have put it better.
Isn't it ironic that the rest of Nigerians are comfortable with FEDERAL CHARACTER, but some of them oppose zoning?
What type of hypocrisy is that?

I saw people like Tafawa Balewa (who thought that Nigeria was a comic script) on that list.  undecided

For anyone to not include Michael I. Okpara on that list is really insulting to the Igbo and ALL easterners (though some of these former easterners will  keep denying that Okpara improved their areas). Jonathan acted true to his beliefs here. Quite unfortunate.

Well, life goes on.  sad

I doubt jonathan was the amongst the organizers of the list. Also he may not be too in tune with nigerian history as we might expect him to be. It's feasible to believe that the ones responsible for the failure of placing of M.I. Okpara on the list is the people of the Old Northern and Western Regions. I say this because during the reign of those premiers all were killed during the dubbed "igbo coup" except M.I. Okpara. The omitting of is name was mere political revenge.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by AkinEgba: 10:04pm On Oct 09, 2010
chyz:

I doubt jonathan was the amongst the organizers of the list. Also he may not be too in tune with nigerian history as we might expect him to be. It's feasible to believe that the ones responsible for the failure of placing of M.I. Okpara on the list is the people of the Old Northern and Western Regions. I say this because during the reign of those premiers all were killed during the dubbed "igbo coup" except M.I. Okpara. The omitting of is name was mere political revenge.

Shame on some Ibos here. You mean Jonathan was too young to know who Okpara was? You mean he did not see the final list of honorees?
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by chyz(m): 10:08pm On Oct 09, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Shame on some Ibos here. You mean Jonathan was too young to know who Okpara was? You mean he did not see the final list of honorees?

I'm simply saying only a fool wouldn't know who M.I. Okpara was and shouldn't be president if he didnt. Also, if he wasnt allowed to see the list, he is a weak president. I'm not supporting him on that act at all.Don't get me wrong.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by Onlytruth(m): 10:10pm On Oct 09, 2010
chyz:

I'm simply saying only a fool wouldn't know who M.I. Okpara was and should be president if he didnt. Also, if he wasnt allowed to see the list, he is a weak president. I'm not supporting him on that act at all.Don't get me wrong.

I see your points. Still unfortunate.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by psychu: 10:31pm On Oct 09, 2010
ferari90:

lol!
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by jason12345: 5:43pm On Oct 10, 2010
MaziUche0:

How about you shut up! You think some small post, will satisfy the Ndigbo? We want it all!
WHY I thought Nigeria was for all of us. smiley wink cheesy grin
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by oiseworld: 10:21pm On Oct 10, 2010
AND WHAT MAKE YOU GUYS THINK THAT GEJ SAT ALL NIGHT PUTTING TOGETHER ALL THOSE NAMES.
i think after compilation, he only approved.

, but i think i should be on that list too,, every Nigerian deserved to be included in the fifty name list.
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by MaiSuya(m): 10:31pm On Oct 10, 2010
oiseworld:

AND WHAT MAKE YOU GUYS THINK THAT GEJ SAT ALL NIGHT PUTTING TOGETHER ALL THOSE NAMES.
i think after compilation, he only approved.

, but i think i should be on that list too,, every Nigerian deserved to be included in the fifty name list.

Thank you m broda! Imagine GEJ excluding a prestigious suya meat seller like me, given my numerous contributions to the . . .em. . . growth of our GDP. cool
Re: Ibo Vote: Jonathan Further Shoots Himself In The Foot by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 10, 2010
Faeb:

Foolish article without a source. Why not ask why Jonathan didn't dole out 150 million awards to each and every Nigeria? Tribalistic rubbish.

http://www.champion.com.ng/displaycontent.asp?pid=1078

Golden jubilee awards: Chukwumerije faults exclusion of Okpara, Orizu, Obi
Published on 08 October 2010 with 3 comments
[Post a Comment]

MALACHY UZENDU,
Deputy News Editor, Abuja

MEMBER of the National Assembly from Abia State, Senator Uche Chukwumerije has joined notable Nigerians who have faulted the mode of selection of 50 Distinguished Nigerians for Golden Jubilee Awards by the federal government, saying it was wrong not to have included some notable Igbo personalities.
Chukwumerije who did not hide his feelings, noted that it was not only unsatisfactory but also an insult to the intelligence of the people of Nigeria and Ndigbo in particular, not to have included them in such award.
Senator Chukwumerije noted that �in an exercise of that magnitude that excluded notable Igbo leaders who played major historic roles in Nigeria such as the Premier of the defunct Eastern region, Dr. M.I. Okpara, Nigerian�s first Senate President and Acting President who was in-charge of the nation when the first military coup of 1966 took place, Dr. Nwafor Orizu, as well as the celebrated mathematician, Prof. Chike Obi among others could only be said to be unacceptable�.
In a letter entitled: �Distinguished Nigerians/Friends of Nigeria Golden Jubilee Special Presidential Awards�, the senator representing Abia North Senatorial District, insisted that the criteria for the selection of the awardees �were not explicitly stated and published�.
Wondering how the criteria for the selection were reached, the senator asked �is it pioneer status in the sense of the first to emerge since 1960 in a given field? Or the critical impact of an individual�s endeavour on the development of a given sector? Or class or school-mate categorization of founders of the nation? Or academic/intellectual eminence? Or eminence of office of an occupant?�
According to him, �none or a combination of these criteria explains the inclusion of certain individuals or the exclusion of some others. Why, for instance, was Michael Okpara omitted while all other Premiers were included? Or why was Prof. Chike Obi, our pioneer Mathematician internationally celebrated by academic peers, omitted? Or Dr. Nwafor Orizu, the first Senate President of The First Republic and Acting President on several occasions were omitted?
Senator Chukwumerije stressed that �it is difficult to escape the conclusion that the criteria, whatever they are, were subordinated to the ever-overriding factor of federal character�, which he maintained was most unfortunate.
According to him, �this limiting factor was naturally compounded by other congenital Nigeria factors � the same factors that have reduced our National Honours Awards list to a comedy script.�

a more reliable source than thewillnigeria, not so?

(1) (Reply)

African Dictator's Son Orders Luxury Superyacht / Ohakim Spent 10 Billion On 2011 Imo Election Alone / Imo State Guber: Inec To Hold Supplementary Elections May 6th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.