Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,712 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

How To Handle Online Romance - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How To Handle Online Romance (1102 Views)

7 Signs Your Online Romance Is Not Real Love / Guys See What Nigerian Ladies Prefer...online Romance Is No Longer The Deal / Beware Of Online Romance Scams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Handle Online Romance by MyneWhite1(f): 7:59am On Oct 10, 2010
In this internet age we live in, online romance bas become a valid means through which we can meet our partners, just like meeting them at work, in the club, at church, etc. I know some will say that a lot of such relationships never mature into something serious but does meeting in real life guarantee marriage? Some argue that you cannot love someone you have not seen. I do not agree. We are more than our bodies. Our writings or how we talk about life can give a window into our mind and soul. These are also great for getting to know another human being.

The major advantage of online romance is the privacy, and safety it provides. You don’t need to expose everything about you immediately. Stuff like your telephone number, address, where you work and family details can and should be kept under wraps for a while. It is only when you trust the other person more that you can decide how open to be. Online romance gives you the control, you can decide when and how to reveal any type of information. You can also completely back off at any time, if you feel like something is going wrong or the other person is not who they say they are. Changing your email addresses, or blocking a chat buddy or access to your FB or twitter profile, is much easier than keeping someone out of your physical space.

That said; there are some things to be aware of with online romance. The advantage of privacy in meeting someone online first could become a double-edged sword. This is because it makes it easier to be dishonest online. The person you are chatting with could be a 12 years old, or married, or 42 instead of 22, or a man instead of a woman and vice versa. It is so easy to develop a different persona online, be whoever you want, say whatever and become an overnight superstar. The anonymity and privacy of the internet thereby becomes a tool for deception. A waiter becomes a doctor, 5’1 becomes six feet and CUNY becomes Harvard or Yale. Remember that this cuts both ways. Are you being your real honest self while looking for love online?

The next important part of online romance is communication. What do you guys discuss? Don’t burn phone cards talking about Kim Kardashian or the World Cup. OK, you can do that too. But more important, give each other time to talk about your lives. Ask questions and be as honest as you can. I’m not saying you should interview each other, but a relationship requires true and deep communication. You can talk about your dreams, your achievements and goals, talk about your families, people you admire in your life, your most prized possessions, your strengths and weaknesses, and maybe most importantly, talk about the kind of relationship both of you are looking for. This last will determine what direction your romance goes.

Finally, it boils down to the nitty-gritty. After starting a romance online, there is the temptation to just let it roll along on sweet talk via the phone, chat or email. You cannot live life online and in the same way, any romance that starts and remains solely online for say, one year, is a bit suspicious. The next thing a couple that met online should discuss when they realize that the admiration is mutual is how to meet up. Some say love is spiritual, that is true, but it is also physical. People in an online romance must find ways to balance both sides of the attraction. Apart from the physicality of attraction, meeting face to face also helps determine honesty. Is that really him? Is he really interested in me enough to make the effort?

Once you have met for the first time, you are no different from the next couple who first met in real life. Keep your head up and enjoy your love.

About the Author

Award winning Myne Whitman published her first novel, A Heart to Mend, in December 2009. The Nigerian author is a popular blogger and also writes for BellaNaija, Afrikan Goddess, Femme Lounge, and other online publications.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Mend-Myne-Whitman/dp/1449047505/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by bxcode(m): 8:04am On Oct 10, 2010
Nice write up. High five!
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by AqRiUsAge(f): 8:11am On Oct 10, 2010
nice read
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by InkedNerd(f): 8:34am On Oct 10, 2010
Hmmm, reading this reminded me of "Catfish". Here's the link to the story >>> http://abcnews.go.com/2020/catfish-movie-tale-twisted-cyber-romance/story?id=11817470 . If you wanna find out more about "Catfish", you can look to the right side of the link and you'll see additional videos.
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by Woke4all(m): 9:13am On Oct 10, 2010
Ok
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by Ikedonn(m): 1:47pm On Oct 10, 2010
Oh'yes.
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by Omolola1(f): 1:51pm On Oct 10, 2010
Lovely piece
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by nanidee(f): 3:08pm On Oct 10, 2010
wonderful write-up
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 10, 2010
good for people who are interested in online relationship.
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by 190: 3:53pm On Oct 10, 2010
^^
people like who angry angry angry
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 10, 2010
190:

^^

Obviously, its not for people like you. smiley
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 10, 2010
190:

^^

people who like dating online.
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by 190: 4:23pm On Oct 10, 2010
Eyah:

Obviously, its not for people like you. smiley
Lol @ A-yah, [size=3pt](my sweetlove)[/size] grin grin
rokiatu:

people who like dating online.
shocked shocked [size=3pt](Hope it aint me o)
[/size]
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 10, 2010
190:
(Hope it aint me o)
[/size]
ask your inner thought that you will get your answer lol
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by 190: 4:28pm On Oct 10, 2010
rokiatu:

ask your inner thought that you will get your answer lol
angry angry rokiatu u never cease to amaze me
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by MyneWhite1(f): 6:12pm On Oct 10, 2010
Thank you all for the nice comments.

rokiatu:

good for people who are interested in online relationship.
190:

^^

I confess that I met my partner online. Keep your mind open OK?
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by slap1(m): 6:32pm On Oct 10, 2010
Maybe I should take online dating serious, since I don't have the liver time for real life dating.
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by MyneWhite1(f): 7:06pm On Oct 10, 2010
slap1:

Maybe I should take online dating serious, since I don't have the liver time for real life dating.

Real life dating can be daunting right? LOL grin
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by iice(f): 2:47pm On Oct 12, 2010
Sounds like common sense. . .but then again, they say it's not that common undecided
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by MyneWhite1(f): 4:57pm On Oct 13, 2010
iice:

Sounds like common sense. . .but then again, they say it's not that common undecided

Not common at all, especially where issues of the heart are involved.
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by Omolola1(f): 6:11pm On Oct 13, 2010
Gbam!
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by Odunnu: 6:02am On Oct 14, 2010
Wow! Thanx Myne.
Re: How To Handle Online Romance by MyneWhite1(f): 6:23am On Oct 15, 2010
You welcome! More to come.

Odunnu:

Wow! Thanx Myne.

(1) (Reply)

I Am Worried. Do You Think Our Marriage Will Hit The Rock ? / Joy, Love, Affection Turned Sorrow And Heartbreak Two Days To Xmas. / Your Honest Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.