Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard (11774 Views)

We Will Arrest More Influential Nigerians In The Coming Weeks — EFCC Chairman / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation / List Of The Things Buhari Promised Nigerians - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by GNBohr: 5:04pm On Oct 11, 2010
TO BE INFLUENTIAL YOU MUST CONTROL PEOPLE IN A REMOTE-CONTROL MANNER. YOUR WORD MUST BE LIKE A LAW LIKE THE AWOLOWO, AZIKWE, AHMADU BELLO OF OLD. NOT LIKE IN THE MANNER OF OSHIOMOLE USAGE OF UNIONISM. YOUR PLATFORM OF INFLUENCE MUST BE THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES AND THEY MUST SEE YOU LIKE A LITTLE GOD.

1.Asa - DOING A GOOD WORK ON HER GENRE OF MUSIK BUT NOT INFLUENTIAL, THE ONLY PERSON WHOSE MUSIC IS INFLUENTIAL IS FELA

2.Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - JUST A WRITER STRUGGLING TO BE AMONGT THE BEST IN THE LITERARY WORD, HOW MANY NIGERIANS HAVE READ HER BOOKS TO BE INFLUENTIAL. CONSIDER CHINUA ACHEBE IN THIS RIGHT.

3.Mallam Nuhu Ribadu - HE FOUGHT CORRUPTION BUT UNDER A BAD LEADER WHO TURNED HIM INTO A SEMI-WITCH HUNTER. NOT INFLUENTIAL

4.Deola Sagoe - THIS NAME DONT JUST EXIST IN THE INFLUENCE RING. JUST ANOTHER NIGERIAN DOING WELL SOMEHOW

5.philip Emeagwali - RENOWNED SCIENTIST WHOSE WORK IS FELT IN THE CYBERWORLD BUT HAS NO DIRECT IMPACT PERSONALLY ON NIGERIA. HE MAY BE REGARDED JUST LIKE ALBERT EISTEN

6.Emeka Anyaoku - BECAUSE HE WAS A COMMONWEALTH CHIEF DID NOT MAKE HIM INFLUENTIAL. JUST LIKE RILWAN LUKMAN IN OPEC

7.Oluwole Akinwande(Soyinka) - HIS HUMAN RIGHT STRUGGLE LACKED THE KIND OF BITE THAT WOULD MAKE HIM THAT INFLUENTIAL. HE HAS A DISCONNECT WITH THE POOR MASSES AND HIS APPROACH LOOKS MORE ELITIST. HE IS MERELY POPULAR.

8.Ngozi okonjo-Iweala - BEING A MINISTER DID NOT CONFER THE HONOUR ON HER. SHE WAS NOT OUR BEST MINISTER IN HISTORY.

9.Genevieve Nnaji - A PERSONAE LIKE HER IS VERY LIMITED IN INFLUENCE. HER RATING AS THE BEST ACTRESS IS EVEN CONTROVERSIAL. A CONTROVERSIAL PERSON CAN NOT BE INFLUENTIAL IN THE REAL SENSE OF IT.

10.Oluchi Onweagba - A MODEL OF OUTSTANDING QUALITY JUST LIKE RASHIDI YEKINI OF OLD WAS A STRIKER OF OUTSTANDING QUALITY. WHERE IS THE INFLUENTIAL POWER ON THE PEOPLE IN THAT.

11.Agbani darego - A VERY WRONG NAME TO BE CONSIDERED INFLUENTIAL. IN WHAT I WILL LIKE TO KNOW. SHE HAPPENED TO BE THE FIRST NIGERIAN MISS WORLD JUST LIKE CHIOMA AJUNWA WAS NIGERIAN GOLDEN OLYMPIAN IN INDIVIDUAL EVENTS. MERE RECORD BREAKERS. HOW MANY HAVE THEY INFLUENCED OR COACHED TO BREAK RECORDS.

12.Babatunde R fashola - A FUNNY ADDITION. FASHOLA'S PERFORMANCE WAS NOT 10% OF JAKANDE'S EXCELLENT RECORD IN NIGERIA.

13.Adenike ‘Nike’ Oshinowo-Soleye - MAY BE INFLUENTIAL IN GETTING TO HER FORTIES BEFORE GETTING MARRIED. I WONDER HOW MANY MOTHERS WILL PRAY THAT THEIR DAUGHTERS GET TO FORTIES BEFORE GETTING MARRIED. MAY BE THAT IS THE NEW MARRIAGE VOGUE NOW.

14.Aliko Dangote - THE NIGERIAN BUSINESS OMNIBUS WHOSE STRATEGY IS KILLING OTHERS BUSINESSES FOR HIS TO BECOME MONOPOLY. IF HE WERE TO BE IN UNITED STATES, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN TRIED FOR ANTITRUST.

15.Nwankwo Kanu - THE LEGGED LANGUID FOOTBALL ACHIEVER WHO DID NOT KNOW HOW TO QUIT WHEN THE OVATION IS LOUDEST. PART OF THE WORST NIGERIAN WORLD CUP CAMPAIGN AND STILL PLAYING IN SOME OBSCURE CLUB SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND.

16.Biodun Shobanjo - THE ADVERTISING PRACTIONER WHO IS SEEN AS THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY. YET LIKE SO MANY OTHER NIGERIANS IN THEIR VARIOUS PROFESSIONS. THAT DID NOR CONFER THE INFLUENTIAL HONOUR ON ANYONE. IF SO EVERY FIRST CLASS GRADUATE WILL BE RATED INFLUENTIAL

17 & 18 P-Square brothers(Peter and Paul Okoye) - ARE THERE MUSIC EVEN EVERGREEN. I DONT KNOW HOW FREQUENT RADIOS AND TEEVEES PLAY THEIR SONGS THESE DAYS. THEY HAVE BEED SWEPT ASIDE JUST LIKE THE PAUL IK DAIROS, DADDY SHOWKEYS AND DANIEL WILSON OF THIS NIGERIAN WORLD

19.Michael Adenuga - THE GLO PROMOTER WHO HAS HIS HANDS DEEP IN IBB CORRUPTION CAN NOT BE THAT INFLUENTIAL IF NIGERIANS REALLY WANTS TO FIGHT CORRUPTION.

20.Enoch Adeboye (G.O) - FOR THE SINGULAR ACT OF CAUSING LOSS OF MAN-HOURS THROUGH HIS CHURCH ACTIVITIES AND HOLY GHOST PROGRAMMES  LEADING TO SOCIO -ECONOMIC HAEMORRHAGE AND TRAVEL DISORDER THAT MOST TMES CAUSE FATAL VEHICULAR ACCIDENT RESULTING IN BODILLY INJURY, LOSS OF PROPERTIES AND LIVES. HE CAN NOT BE SAID TO BE INFLUENTIAL, IF EVERY RELIGION DENOMINATION BEHAVES LIKE HIS REDEEMED CHURCH, WE SHOULD FORGET ABOUT LAGOS-IBADAN EXPRESSWAY.

THEREFORE, THE INFLUENTIAL NIGERIANS ARE DEAD AND NEW ONES ARE NOT YET BORN.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by keeeem: 5:12pm On Oct 11, 2010
@kobojunkie

Guy you seem to be losing it these days. Your comments on issues is getting more annoying and lacks logic most times. We are talking of influential Nigerians and rather than applaud the achievement of a man, you're basing your argument on sentiments. You see if you talk of Influential people in Africa (beyond Nigeria), you cannot leave OBJ out

Obj is a man who if tomorrow says PDP agreed on zoning would cause conflagration in this country. An influential man is someone who's conduct has an effect on the whole existence of his environment.

Please let's call a spade a spade. Vanguard did a drab job by just picking on a set of people who cannot influence anything Nigerian. How can Chinua Achebe, Anthony Enahoro, Wole Soyinka, even sarcastically IBB not make that list?
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Flawless(f): 5:16pm On Oct 11, 2010
GNBohr:

TO BE INFLUENTIAL YOU MUST CONTROL PEOPLE IN A REMOTE-CONTROL MANNER. YOUR WORD MUST BE LIKE A LAW LIKE THE AWOLOWO, AZIKWE, AHMADU BELLO OF OLD. NOT LIKE IN THE MANNER OF OSHIOMOLE USAGE OF UNIONISM. YOUR PLATFORM OF INFLUENCE MUST BE THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES AND THEY MUST SEE YOU LIKE A LITTLE GOD.

1.Asa - DOING A GOOD WORK ON HER GENRE OF MUSIK BUT NOT INFLUENTIAL, THE ONLY PERSON WHOSE MUSIC IS INFLUENTIAL IS FELA

2.Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - JUST A WRITER STRUGGLING TO BE AMONGT THE BEST IN THE LITERARY WORD, HOW MANY NIGERIANS HAVE READ HER BOOKS TO BE INFLUENTIAL. CONSIDER CHINUA ACHEBE IN THIS RIGHT.

20.Enoch Adeboye (G.O) - FOR THE SINGULAR ACT OF CAUSING LOSS OF MAN-HOURS THROUGH HIS CHURCH ACTIVITIES AND HOLY GHOST PROGRAMMES  LEADING TO SOCIO -ECONOMIC HAEMORRHAGE AND TRAVEL DISORDER THAT MOST TMES CAUSE FATAL VEHICULAR ACCIDENT RESULTING IN BODILLY INJURY, LOSS OF PROPERTIES AND LIVES. HE CAN NOT BE SAID TO BE INFLUENTIAL,  IF EVERY RELIGION DENOMINATION BEHAVES LIKE HIS REDEEMED CHURCH, WE SHOULD FORGET ABOUT LAGOS-IBADAN EXPRESSWAY.

THEREFORE, THE INFLUENTIAL NIGERIANS ARE DEAD AND NEW ONES ARE NOT YET BORN.

Your conclusion is spot on, I seriously don't think anyone is influential in Nigeria. Until we have radicals like Nelson Mandela or someone with a great vision like Barack Obama.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by lyfe(m): 5:24pm On Oct 11, 2010
I think the list is correct and viable, and is a result of a well thought through selection and research.
But I think the arrangement is not in order of influentiality.
I feel the list contains inflential people with good and proven records with no dent of corruption or bad governance. As other people you may want to put on that list have bad records.
, I admit Tuface's name should evict Asa's name from the list but he is know to be sleeping around with ladies with no protection. Yet he is seen in various campaigns preaching safe sex.
About daddy Adebayo, he is a well respected man of God and he has been seen as a semi god by christains,
Thus his words alone can influence people's behaviour and attitude and the economy itself,
You ever wondered why Politicians pay courtesy visit to Papa. Presidential or Gubernatorial aspirant that does have support of RCCG or Enoch Adeboye has zero chance in winning.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by lyfe(m): 5:26pm On Oct 11, 2010
No matter what, people will always find ways to faulter and dent people's image. If no one makes the list above as GNBohr asserted then no one in the world is influential, even the No 1 man- Obama has his known issue and some people would claim he is not inflential to them.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by mystikal(m): 7:05pm On Oct 11, 2010
I don't want to believe the list is in that order
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Kobojunkie: 7:44pm On Oct 11, 2010
lyfe:

No matter what, people will always find ways to faulter and dent people's image. If no one makes the list above as GNBohr asserted then no one in the world is influential, even the No 1 man- Obama has his known issue and some people would claim he is not inflential to them.

Please learn the meaning of a word and how it is applied, rather than making illogical connections that only go to reveal your ignorance in this. Obama is influential, even though his approval rating has diminished over the years. This is a man who in essence changed the face of politics in most countries around the word . . even the British MPs thought him worth emulating during the last elections.

What you have on the vanguard list are a bunch of people who are maybe successful in their own fields but seriously lacking when it comes to influencing others apart from their own selves. To assume that fame/success equates to influence to is admit one has little idea what the word influence in itself implies.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by nadneth: 7:45pm On Oct 11, 2010
Dont think the goons who came up with that list know what the word 'influencial' means. Think the only people that should be on that list are Adichie,Soyinka,Emeagwali and prolly Adeboye. The rest are f**ked! My opinion!
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Mobinga: 8:01pm On Oct 11, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You ruined it actually. The man with his accidental popularity cases with no real influence. . .  most of what he has for him are people drunk with sentiments and less on reason if you ask me.

Step Outside, Breathe Fresh Air , Relax and Reason
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Kobojunkie: 8:05pm On Oct 11, 2010
Mobinga:

Step Outside, Breathe Fresh Air , Relax and Reason

Trust me  . . . you probably need to do more of that than I so you can more correctly understand how the meaning of the word fails when applied to your choice there.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Jarus(m): 8:20pm On Oct 11, 2010
TOP 5 INFLUENTIAL NIGERIANS BY MY RECKONING
1, Olusegun Obasanjo: The man that can give order to the president
2, Sultan of Sokoto: More than 50 million Muslims in Nigeria wait for him to declare when to celebrate sallah, start fasting
3, Pastor E.O Adeboye: Governors and presidents fall on one another to see him.
4, Olusola Saraki: The first African to have two children as governor and Senator at the same time. Daring to install daughter to take over from son as state governor. 3 million Kwarans and indeed millions of other Nigerians can kick, but doesn't have effect over his singular wish
5, P-Square: influence on youths goes beyond shores of Nigeria, but Africa at large.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 11, 2010
Jarus:

2, Sultan of Sokoto: More than 50 million Muslims in Nigeria wait for him to declare when to celebrate sallah, start fasting
4, Olusola Saraki: The first African to have two children as governor and Senator at the same time. Daring to install daughter to take over from son as state governor. 3 million Kwarans and indeed millions of other Nigerians can kick, but doesn't have effect over his singular wish
5, P-Square: influence on youths goes beyond shores of Nigeria, but Africa at large.

Don't you think that's stretching it a bit far cheesy
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by daroz(m): 8:48pm On Oct 11, 2010
absolute rubbish
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by cold(m): 9:01pm On Oct 11, 2010
Being influential does not necessarily have to be in a positive light as it is being touted around here.Osama Bin Laden was one time listed amongst the 100 most influential people on earth.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Kobojunkie: 9:13pm On Oct 11, 2010
Osama Bin Laden is influential . . .there is no question about that one.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by cold(m): 9:15pm On Oct 11, 2010
Ok at least we can agree on something
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by YOMZE(m): 10:35pm On Oct 11, 2010
I dont even know 75% of the ppl on
that list.
How are they influential? Are we
talking abt the same lying, deceitful
Pastor Adeboye? Dear gawd!
Report to moderator Logged ILeke idI . Ur post shows the level of ur maturity on the downside. U calling A MAN of GOD silly names! u dont knw d consequence nd repercussion dat may follow.U should never judge any1 but leave justice and vengeance un2 GOD, If u are an unbeliever,the bible says 'TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED,DO MY PROPHET NO HARM!' u beta ask 4 GOD'S 4giveness
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Africankel(m): 11:06pm On Oct 11, 2010
Chris Oyahkilome not on the list? Not the real list then!
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Epiphany(m): 11:21pm On Oct 11, 2010
Jarus:

Now, i agree with Jarus' analysis. . . except that I dont understand why P-Square should be on the list. How are they influencing the youth? Are they encouraging (or discouraging) safe sex, abstinence, education?
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by 2kurupt(m): 11:42pm On Oct 11, 2010
dis list is so wrung!! other than pastor Adeboye & p square brodas, i doubt if any hv influenced my decisions lately
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Ruq: 2:39am On Oct 12, 2010
thIS IS ONE FUCKIN SICK LIST THAT FAILED TO REECOG FELA AND WOLE THIS LIST IS TOTALLY bleeped!
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by chyz(m): 2:59am On Oct 12, 2010
Ruq:

thIS IS ONE FUCKIN SICK LIST THAT FAILED TO REECOG FELA AND WOLE THIS LIST IS TOTALLY bleeped!

So much anger. I tell u what,why dont u make a new list and send it in and then watch how another person says the same about you for leaving off 2 of their "REECOG"ed people.everything is going to be ok kiss
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 3:44am On Oct 12, 2010
Epiphany:

It takes a 'special' kind of person to occupy the top seat in any country twice - whether by election or providence. He is currently the UN sec gen's special envoy to the Great Lakes Region. Was chairman of AU for two consecutive terms. Was a former contender for the position of United Nations Secretary General, Member and co-chair of the commonwealth Emintent Persons Group on Apartheid in South Africa, Founding member of the Interaction Council, Started the Africal Leadership Forum, an author of various books, etc etc.

Regardless of what you (or I) may think of him, he is still very outspoken and respected on issues pertaining to the African continent and beyond. Take some time to read articles about him on the internet (just google his name) and give him his due.

Yes, he may have done a lot of nonsense when he was in government, but that does not take a lot away from the status he has built around the world.  He will be recognized in many places and fora, before anybody else on the posters list is even given a chance to speak.

Yawn. . . .
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by akwaowoudo(m): 6:21am On Oct 12, 2010
Chief Oluesegun Obasanjo; Dr. Orji Kalu; Prof. Wole Soyinka; Col. Abubakar Umar; Sen. Jubril Aminu; Prof. Dora Akunyili; Rev. Uma Ukpai; Judge Oluwole; Turai Yar'adua; Musician Alabaja; Malam Sanusi Sanusi; Chief Timi Alaibe; Mr. Frank Edoho of MTN; Otunba Gani Adams; Sen. Akpan Udoedehe; Kanu Nwankwo; Asari Dokubo;
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by akwaowoudo(m): 6:25am On Oct 12, 2010
Chief Oluesegun Obasanjo; Dr. Orji Kalu; Prof. Wole Soyinka; Col. Abubakar Umar; Sen. Jubril Aminu; Prof. Dora Akunyili; Rev. Uma Ukpai; Judge Oluwole; Turai Yar'adua; Musician Alabaja; Malam Sanusi Sanusi; Chief Timi Alaibe; Mr. Frank Edoho of MTN; Otunba Gani Adams; Sen. Akpan Udoedehe; Kanu Nwankwo; Asari Dokubo; Sen. Florence Ita Giwa;
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by sley4life(m): 9:26am On Oct 12, 2010
the list is 80% good. But der ar some names that dont merit it
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by onyengbu1(m): 10:10am On Oct 12, 2010
Jarus:

1. By real meaning of influential, i dont really believe OBJ is influential. People will not go and do things in nigeria because OBJ 'suggested' it.

2. Sultan of Sokoto is very influential because considering the number of people dat can actually do things he 'suggested'

3. Pastor Adeboye is very influential and so also most religious leaders.

4. Saraki's rigging of elections did not qualify him as influential.

5. Psquare is very influential too cos many young people will do things because of them

Let me add that another nigerian politician who can be influential to an extent is Ojukwu.

So many igbo people see him as eze ndi igbo. Not in my own opinion though.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nnaboys: 11:10am On Oct 12, 2010
What do you mean by influential?
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by ud4u: 11:45am On Oct 12, 2010
Your own point of view
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Abagworo(m): 12:30pm On Oct 12, 2010
GNBohr:

3.Mallam Nuhu Ribadu - HE FOUGHT CORRUPTION BUT UNDER A BAD LEADER WHO TURNED HIM INTO A SEMI-WITCH HUNTER. NOT INFLUENTIAL

4.Deola Sagoe - THIS NAME DONT JUST EXIST IN THE INFLUENCE RING. JUST ANOTHER NIGERIAN DOING WELL SOMEHOW

5.philip Emeagwali - RENOWNED SCIENTIST WHOSE WORK IS FELT IN THE CYBERWORLD BUT HAS NO DIRECT IMPACT PERSONALLY ON NIGERIA. HE MAY BE REGARDED JUST LIKE ALBERT EISTEN

6.Emeka Anyaoku - BECAUSE HE WAS A COMMONWEALTH CHIEF DID NOT MAKE HIM INFLUENTIAL. JUST LIKE RILWAN LUKMAN IN OPEC

7.Oluwole Akinwande(Soyinka) - HIS HUMAN RIGHT STRUGGLE LACKED THE KIND OF BITE THAT WOULD MAKE HIM THAT INFLUENTIAL. HE HAS A DISCONNECT WITH THE POOR MASSES AND HIS APPROACH LOOKS MORE ELITIST. HE IS MERELY POPULAR.

8.Ngozi okonjo-Iweala - BEING A MINISTER DID NOT CONFER THE HONOUR ON HER. SHE WAS NOT OUR BEST MINISTER IN HISTORY.

9.Genevieve Nnaji - A PERSONAE LIKE HER IS VERY LIMITED IN INFLUENCE. HER RATING AS THE BEST ACTRESS IS EVEN CONTROVERSIAL. A CONTROVERSIAL PERSON CAN NOT BE INFLUENTIAL IN THE REAL SENSE OF IT.

10.Oluchi Onweagba - A MODEL OF OUTSTANDING QUALITY JUST LIKE RASHIDI YEKINI OF OLD WAS A STRIKER OF OUTSTANDING QUALITY. WHERE IS THE INFLUENTIAL POWER ON THE PEOPLE IN THAT.

11.Agbani darego - A VERY WRONG NAME TO BE CONSIDERED INFLUENTIAL. IN WHAT I WILL LIKE TO KNOW. SHE HAPPENED TO BE THE FIRST
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Abagworo(m): 12:39pm On Oct 12, 2010
@GNBohr.I like your analysis of the list but as usual in situations like this,we witness a whole lot of irony and oxymoron.The protagonists and antagonists usually have concrete reasons but the mind is left to make a choice.In other words,there can never be an all acceptable list.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by icare1: 1:14pm On Oct 12, 2010
Ojukwu is influential among is people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Zoo Army Finally Arrest Nnamdi Kanu / Goodluck Jonathan Celebrates His 60th Birthday Today / Chukwuma Soludo: Anambra Loses ₦19.6 Billion A Day Due To Sit-At-Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.