Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,246 members, 7,836,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island (30948 Views)

Ogun Set To Host ₦‎3 Billion Refinery In Tongeji Island / Why Is Nigeria Paranoid About Benin Republic Taking Tongeji Island? / Oil Rich Tongeji Island In Ogun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by supereagle(m): 7:05pm On Jul 15, 2019
cosef:
Tungeji doesn't even sound Yoruba. Don't take people's land due to greed. If it's not yours, it's not yours.

Egun people reside in that area. It is in Yewa Senatorial zone, but the area has been of interest from the time of IBB to Abacha time. My father worked there as a tax officers in the 60's.
Yewa area is neglected generally don't blame them if the people go to Benin Republic.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Arysexy(m): 7:05pm On Jul 15, 2019
lordparcel:

Which Oil? You wan claim wetin no belong to you

Red oil for ofe mmanu
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by SEGLIZ: 7:05pm On Jul 15, 2019
Chiedu4Trump:

Na so dem give away Biafra land to Cameroon to spite Biafrans

our leaders need sit up, would it be until they start annexing individuals in Nigeria with no one to govern be they wake to their sense.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Ekugbeh(m): 7:05pm On Jul 15, 2019
ladiesreject:
Is it that Nigerians cannot do without oil?
The southerners keep insulting the northerners about been unproductive simply because they don't have oil.

Take away oil in the south and they will be as useless and unproductive as the north.

Oil this, oil that.

#spits
how many southern states have you been to.
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by amaniro: 7:06pm On Jul 15, 2019
sammirano:

And when the fg is sleeping nko?

State government do not meddle in international boundary issues and stuff. It's reserved for the federal government

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jul 15, 2019
ladiesreject:
The southerners keep insulting the northerners about been unproductive simply because they don't have oil.

Take away oil in the south and they will be as useless and unproductive as the north.

Oil this, oil that.

#spits
c mumu lazy arewa

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by nicepoker101(m): 7:09pm On Jul 15, 2019
French army fall on you.
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by alphaNomega: 7:09pm On Jul 15, 2019
BigBrother9ja:
They should allow them take it nau undecided

Just like that OLD FOOL obasanjo sold our BAKASSI PENISULA to cameroon

Useless thief. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

lunacol:
Bakasi Peninsula lost.Will Tongeji island also be lost.Time will tell.

Jetrue3oo:
thunder go kill those wey sell bakasi to cameroun and also punish their children children. Amen

hardbody:

If what you have stated up there is true, then there should be a referendum to enable the people decide where they want to be. I mean how can the people access health facility from Benin Republic and you suddenly wake up to their acquisition just because of oil deposits. The mere thought of that justification insults the sensibilities of right thinking men and women. It is the same with Bakassi. No body cared about them until Cameroun showed interest, then a local government was quickly built there and some government presence started being felt. In the final analysis, should Benin Republic show interest, Nigerians should ensure they do not submit to the ICJ. It is the same mistake that led us into losing Bakassi. We should not submit to the jurisdiction of the ICJ in determining ownership. I have said my own finish

Chiedu4Trump:

Na so dem give away Biafra land to Cameroon to spite Biafrans

King44:
this is how Cameroon took one of Nigerians oil reserves a long time ago, I am assuring if care is not taken they will loose these Nig gvt is always careless

Why won't Togo woo them, the people there does not feel the presence of gvt and you think they won't go with togo, if the oil is why Ogun gvt suddenly become interested in their land my advice to them is that go with Togo, Togo would value you more

Bakassi never belonged to Nigeria. It has always been a part of Cameroon ever since the Germans colonised that area. The surveyor general's map used at the time was presented as evidence.

A bit of history from post world war 1 up to the Nigerian Civil war will give the gist of what happened. Unfortunately history is no longer taught in our schools so I cannot blame you.

A court judgement from the ICJ has ordered Nigeria to clear off the region.

THIS IS ONE OF THE WAYS WE CAN TELL YOU KIDS THE TRUTH SO YOU DO NOT EMBARRASS US MORE THAN OUR FATHERS HAVE IN THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY.

Bonus: Mr. chiedu4trump it was not to spite Biafra as your parents erroneously told you. Let me try to summarise it for you. During the civil war, Cameroun came for their land (Bakassi peninsula), Gowon who was the military head of state at the time told Cameroun to "hold on" because as they can see Nigeria is distracted by a civil war. Let us share this territory into 2 for now, and after the war we sit down and negotiate.

Of course you know the events after the war and how Gowon fared. The problem is that the Nigerian government has invested so much in that region and was unwilling to let go. Our dubious, ill-informed lawyers took the matter to the International Court of Justice without doing their homework. If they did, they would know that Nigeria never really owned Bakassi.

Maybe they did but decided to make Nigeria pay them huge sums of money in legal fees knowing that they will loose the case anyway and still get paid. You know how Nigerians think.

UPDATE: I will start adding monikers of users who, from their posts, are ill-informed about the Bakassi peninsula matter. You will not find a more concise summary anywhere on the internet. I am not a teacher, but this is my little contribution to help this failed state of a country.

Mykehl, Dpharisee

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Iamgrey5(m): 7:13pm On Jul 15, 2019
ZiggyMr:

Must it sound Yoruba? What if they are egun or ipokia people
They are Yorubas subgroup known as Yewa.

Some people are slow to realize Yorubas have many dailect.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by LLMG: 7:18pm On Jul 15, 2019
So it can be easily given to Benin republic,
amaniro:
I think this kind of fight is not meant for state Government. It is at this point the federal Government should step in, not state government.
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Iamgrey5(m): 7:20pm On Jul 15, 2019
APOSTLECHUMA:
IT WAS BEFORE MY EYES WHEN I WAS LIVING IN COTONOU THAT NIGERIA SHIFTED IT'S SEME BORDER ACROSS THE NO MAN'S LAND OF THE BORDER INTO BENIN REPUBLIC TO STEAL THE OIL THAT WAS DISCOVERED AROUND THAT BORDER. THERE ARE MANY COMMUNITIES IN BENIN THAT THEIR NAMES ENDED WIT "JI" LIKE ILACONJI AND THAT PLACE DOESNT BELONG TO BIG FOR NOTHING FAILED STATE LIKE NIGERIA.
So you have no idea that Yorubas are the second largest ethnic group in Benin after the Fon

And most of the Yorubas reside In areas close to Nigeria border with Benin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by hardbody: 7:26pm On Jul 15, 2019
alphaNomega:

Bakassi never belonged to Nigeria. It has always been a part of Cameroon ever since the Germans colonised them. The surveyor general's map used at the time was presented as evidence.

A court judgement from the ICJ has ordered Nigeria to clear off the region.

THIS IS ONE OF THE WAYS WE CAN TELL YOU KIDS THE TRUTH SO YOU DO NOT EMBARRASS US MORE THAN OUR FATHERS HAVE IN THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY.

What do you think would have happened if Nigeria did not submit to the jurisdiction of the ICJ under Article 59 of the Charter ? Would Nigeria have ceded the peninsula.

Historically who are the inhabitants of that peninsula from time immemorial? Do you strongly believe that any demarcations by a foreign body under customary international law is strong enough to take ownership from the original owners of a portion?

We did not argue strongly or took people who did not quite understand the historical antecedents coupled with emerging trends in international law to the Hague. Obj goofed.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Mykehl: 7:29pm On Jul 15, 2019
BigBrother9ja:
They should allow them take it nau undecided

Just like that OLD FOOL obasanjo sold our BAKASSI PENISULA to cameroon

Useless thief. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by alphaNomega: 7:30pm On Jul 15, 2019
hardbody:

What do you think would have happened if Nigeria did not submit to the jurisdiction of the ICJ under Article 59 of the Charter ? Would Nigeria have ceded the peninsula.

Historically who are the inhabitants of that peninsula from time immemorial? Do you strongly believe that any demarcations by a foreign body under customary international law is strong enough to take ownership from the original owners of a portion?

We did not argue strongly or took people who did not quite understand the historical antecedents coupled with emerging trends in international law to the Hague. Obj goofed.

Please read the first post I quoted you in. It has been updated.

The indigenous people of that land are Cameroonians, any Nigerian you find there is an immigrant. Because a large number of a population reside in a particular place does not make the place their ancestral home.

E.g. there is a significant population of Igbos in Equatorial Guinea, you do not hear them claiming ancestral ownership of the land.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by madridsta007(m): 7:30pm On Jul 15, 2019
amaniro:
I think this kind of fight is not meant for state Government. It is at this point the federal Government should step in, not state government.

True. But Nigeria’s current security state is MEAT AND FOOD in terms of international politics. Nigeria is current faced with a protracted internal security crisis and a regime that is, by all definition, incompetent. This is the best time for smaller countries to go toe-to-toe with Nigeria either on their own or in alliance with fellow African states or with more-than-happy-to-destabilise imperialists. France with its UN Security Council seat, for instance, will jump at the opportunity to help Benin wrestle that portion of land from Nigeria while, of course, being promised something for that assistance. They did that for Cameroon over Bakassi.

When Nigerians voted illiteracy and incompetence I am not sure they really understood the deeper implications of that foolish move.
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Blue3k(m): 7:33pm On Jul 15, 2019
Mykehl:

It is not Obasanjo's fault. Shagari's government actually had an agreement with Cameroon to give them part of Bakassi in ruturn for passage of the Federal troops into 'Biafra land' during the civil war through the south south end as they were finding trouble advancing through the west and east axis. Subsequent governments failed to carry out the promise hence Cameroon took the case to the world court and won, leaving Obasanjo and Nigeria with no choice than to cede the land to them.

Thats Wives tales. There's no document supporting that fictional story. During the ICJ case this story was never brought up.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by alphaNomega: 7:34pm On Jul 15, 2019
Blue3k:

Thats Wives tales. There's no document supporting that fictional story. During the ICJ case this story was never brought up.

Thank you for this submission. Gradually we should separate these beer parlour gists from the real happenings

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Dpharisee: 7:36pm On Jul 15, 2019
But it was Yoruba Prince Bola Ajibola and Obasanjo who handed Bakassi peninsula to Cameroon, now they don't want to swallow the same tablet they gave to othery
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:51pm On Jul 15, 2019
lordparcel:
Our leaders are only interested in Oil

Ruga comes to mind
People are now realizing how profitable animal husbandry is
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by OhiOfIhima: 8:26pm On Jul 15, 2019
ladiesreject:

Oil this, oil that.

#spits

You called North unproductive? They account for more than 70% of what we consume in this country most especially grains.

Let me know the food items bringing out from both West and East. Let us put sentiment away when dealing wit National issue. Every region have their roles to play.
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by TheAlchemist: 8:33pm On Jul 15, 2019
9jaRealist:

Even presuming your premise is valid, we could still use those resources for 10 years...
It doesn’t take up to 10 years to build schools and hospitals, educate/upskill people and catalyze development.

Nonetheless, any notion that “other countries are trying to run away from oil” is grossly inaccurate...
Industrialized oil-rich Norway recently awarded its most-ever exploration licenses, while other countries are jostling over Arctic reserves.
>

The rapid sales of electric cars is enough evidence that developed countries are running away from oil.
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by tyup(m): 8:35pm On Jul 15, 2019
King44:
this is how Cameroon took one of Nigerians oil reserves a long time ago, I am assuring if care is not taken they will loose these Nig gvt is always careless

Why won't Togo woo them, the people there does not feel the presence of gvt and you think they won't go with togo, if the oil is why Ogun gvt suddenly become interested in their land my advice to them is that go with Togo, Togo would value you more

it's Benin Republic sir their capital is porto-novo and not Togo

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by 9jaRealist: 8:37pm On Jul 15, 2019
TheAlchemist:

The rapid sales of electric cars is enough evidence that developed countries are running away from oil.

Electric cars are less than one-half of one percent of the global economy...
Meanwhile, advanced nations like the US, Norway, Canada, etc., keep exploring for new oil.
>

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 15, 2019
Kxyz:
I am starting to think oil is a curse to Nigeria.... When ''all" other countries are trying to run away from oil , we are busy fighting for something that wouldn't be needed in 10 years time

My brother make you no let d green necks trick you. Oil will be needed for a very loooong time. Forget all these solar ish & electric cars, they will only reduce d value of oil. Besides as a developing country we can't industrialise without oil.

Even the reason some pupil dey sponsor boko for lake chad area is because of the huge reserves of oil & natural gas in that place

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by jiorhemen(m): 9:01pm On Jul 15, 2019
Blackfire:
Oga govnor that place belongs to Benin republic..... Nigerians sef...

That place is under Ipokia Local Government Area. Ipokia Local Government is Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by ZiggyMr(m): 9:22pm On Jul 15, 2019
Iamgrey5:
They are Yorubas subgroup known as Yewa.

Some people are slow to realize Yorubas have many dailect.

You are on point

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by ritababe(f): 9:23pm On Jul 15, 2019
APOSTLECHUMA:
EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO COMMENT MY BRO. I LIVED IN COTONOU FOR 2YEARS AND THEY HAVE A LOT OF COMMUNITIES THAT ENDED WIT "JI" LIKE ILACONJI. THE PLACE BELONGS TO BENIN REPUBLIC AND THIS WILL NOT BE THE FIRST FIRST TIME NIGERIA IS STEALING THEIR LAND BECAUSE OF OIL. IT WAS BEFORE MY EYES THAT NIGERIA SHIFTED IT'S BORDER IN SEME ACROSS THE NO MAN'S LAND AREA OF THE BORDER INTO BENIN REPUBLIC,TO STEAL THE OIL THAT WAS DISCOVERED THERE. USELESS BIG FOR NOTHING FAILED STATE NIGERIA,STEALING FROM SMALL BENIN REPUBLIC.
tell me more about this seme and how Nigeria shifted their border without causing war

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 15, 2019
Chiedu4Trump:

A Slave is bought & sold,as you know Biafrans cannot be sold.

You are a slave owned,not relevant.

PARASITIC IN NATURE

Tell that to asari dokubo your slavemaster.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by RTSC: 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2019
APOSTLECHUMA:
EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO COMMENT MY BRO. I LIVED IN COTONOU FOR 2YEARS AND THEY HAVE A LOT OF COMMUNITIES THAT ENDED WIT "JI" LIKE ILACONJI. THE PLACE BELONGS TO BENIN REPUBLIC AND THIS WILL NOT BE THE FIRST FIRST TIME NIGERIA IS STEALING THEIR LAND BECAUSE OF OIL. IT WAS BEFORE MY EYES THAT NIGERIA SHIFTED IT'S BORDER IN SEME ACROSS THE NO MAN'S LAND AREA OF THE BORDER INTO BENIN REPUBLIC,TO STEAL THE OIL THAT WAS DISCOVERED THERE. USELESS BIG FOR NOTHING FAILED STATE NIGERIA,STEALING FROM SMALL BENIN REPUBLIC.
Unless you are from Benin republic, then you are nuts.
Do you know the value Of land?
Do you know how much land America, Russia and China have stolen?..
Russia recently invaded Ukraine and stole land. China is busying claiming sea as their own and building artificial islands.
Are they also big for nothing?

Nigeria is a highly populous country. We need land.

Extending our territory is one of the most patriotic thing any Nigerian leader can do.

The only patriotic thing buhari has done was to extend our maritime territory in the gulf of Guinea.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2019
OhiOfIhima:

You called North unproductive? They account for more than 70% of what we consume in this country most especially grains.

Let me know the food items bringing out from both West and East. Let us put sentiment away when dealing wit National issue. Every region have their roles to play.
Do they also share their food free of charge like oil money is being shared or we pay for it? When we say they are unproductive, we mean they contribute nothing to the national purse.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 15, 2019
Dpharisee:
But it was Yoruba Prince Bola Ajibola and Obasanjo who handed Bakassi peninsula to Cameroon, now they don't want to swallow the same tablet they gave to othery
Fools like you will say any thrash for likes.
Re: Ogun Government: We Won’t Allow Benin Republic To Take Oil-rich Tongeji Island by RTSC: 9:36pm On Jul 15, 2019
Even England fought with Argentina over a land close to the Argentinan border

The land currently belong to England that is in far away Europe.

America has territory in.South east Asia.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu Re-organises APC Ahead Of 2023 / Restructuring: I Won’t Succumb To Pressure ― Buhari / Buhari Flags Off Highway Project In Cross River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.