Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,106 members, 7,828,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are (16195 Views)

Prayer Points Against The Dream Of Backwardness. / How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? / Religion Is The Problem Of Africa And The Reason For Backwardness In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by princeogbeide1(m): 8:28am On Jul 21, 2019
Tellemall:

Continue stagnating in your African backwardness. It's so bad the rest of the world has to breathe with black people.

Tellemall is dull that's all I have to say.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Reference(m): 8:29am On Jul 21, 2019
Dov3:

Have you considered that Christians are equally encouraged to study and research more often than not? If anything, the Nigerian church has done well in their foremeost drive to improve educational prowness in our society. While underplay the church's achievements in science to support your ridiculous stance against it

I totally disagree. The Nigerian church is doing a lot for academic progress, but absolutely nothing for social progress. As a matter of fact deep within its core DNA is the reason why it is making absulutely no impact on society:

'that is a mixture of a misunderstood notion of total subsmission to authority and a total dependence on authority for sustenance.'

Read the above line very carefully. The Nigerian church shadows the government in a desire to mind control and destiny drive the average citizen or parishioner (in each case). I have often talked about the government being a huge feudal machine that expects citizens to be subjects. To totally obey, have no alternate views and aspirations. Well the church and particularly the new generation pentecostal single ownership structures that abound exemplify this. The problems with that is the citizen parishioner over time has become accostomed to 'total obedience and fearful submission' without questioning and without aspirations or alternate ideas that it has made him a less than productive individual.

As parisoners depend on their GO's and pastors and priests for everything so they depend on their senators, governors and prwsidents to do everything for them. It should not be so. Just as Jesus preached, anointed and said 'go and become...' so political leaders in Nigeria should empower citizens and send them out to enterprise. But the feudal nature of both sets donot want this as they feel they will ultimately loose patronage, power and perks.

It is ungodly. The Jesus I know did not save us only to become enslaved to another set of rulers but to maximise the potentials for which we were created. This has been my stand both politically and in aspects concerning faith.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by princeogbeide1(m): 8:32am On Jul 21, 2019
Dov3:

Africans are poor because of shallow thinking & mob mentality like this

We don't like to think deeply and research about our problems before coming out to say rubbish. We just like to follow the crowd and go with any popular opinion we are told.

Mr Ogbeide, I have some real questions to help you really think about your shallow point of view

1. Some of the strongest and most advanced countries in the world include USA, China, Russia and UK. OUT OF THESE, ONLY CHINA IS ATHEIST. The rest are still CHRISTIAN countries and used to he very religious until recent decades. So unless you have tried understanding the differences between aafrican and western christianity, you have nothing to say

2. The cradle of scientific study in the Christian era brought about most of the pioneering work in science today. How do you explain it

You are simply a Jehovah witness. You have to come up with your true identity before quoting me. I thought Nairaland are for smart people you just proved me wrong. You think like the 70s

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Lugianostar(m): 8:34am On Jul 21, 2019
The reason Christainity is under serious attack from unbelievers is because of our lack of one accord in the body of Christ and equally they are many figure head men of God that have compromise big time from their faith because of either involving themselves with politics directly or through appointment that drag them indirectly to corridors of power.

We can't win these fight except we come together as a family to jointly resist the devil, after which we will be free of all these unscrupulous indictment from pit of hell.

No body cared to ask me why i was supporting Atiku for the just concluded polls even without a voters card, it because of his zealousness to steal again and to sell more companies to himself

We are still very backward in getting it right in this country
Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by babasolution: 8:34am On Jul 21, 2019
cry
Tellemall:

You are blaming religion for the attitudes of people and their values.

African values are low.

This is why a person will walk and spit mucus, throw rubbish, urinate and shit on the roadside. Is it religion that made an African do this?

I dont think these things are exclusive to african peoples alone other races do things like this,the differences is that there are consequences for bad behaviour in many of this other societies,what africa lacks is the right leadership,if we manage to get that u will see african society transform beyound believe

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 21, 2019
NPComplete:

The energy we have expended in praying to God, who has already blessed us with everything we need, could have been best applied into creative pursuits. Religion encourages indolence and the emphasis on miracles stymies but technological and business growth.

Bless you, man! You just laid bare the Truth.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by selemo: 8:35am On Jul 21, 2019
Black man mentality is the problem..Mentality create wealth or destitution.. wink wink wink
Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Realdeals(m): 8:35am On Jul 21, 2019
You may be right to some extent, but religion is still a major culprit because it weakens the people ability to reason properly and once your mental state is weakened, your productivity reduces.

A democratic settings created different structure to curb dictatorial tendency in any arms of government ......but in Africa, leaders are drawing absolute authority from religion, with references from the holy books, which the followers have been conditioned to trust absolutely.

Even though they understand it was an election process which they participated installed the leader, the followers will still tell you, they are appointed by God and no one can question their authority because it's drawn from God. Therefore all decisions made by the leader has a hand of God.

This also explain voter's apathy during election, you'll hear statements like "whether we participate or not, God already know the winner, we are just wasting our time" and when things are bad, the people will still push the responsibility to God...... It's bad

Where's my bible? I'm off to church.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by BigBashiru: 8:36am On Jul 21, 2019
Africans are cursed. The black race is cursed. This is why the continent will continue to experience problems. Unless ppl turn to Jesus Christ for salvation, the continent is doomed.

1 Like

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by princeogbeide1(m): 8:36am On Jul 21, 2019
Nemesis909:
What's the need of researching into the cure of Ebola when we can simply pray whilst we wait for the atheist oyinbo to find it?

All of this is the fault of KOWA party.

Abi

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by EkunKekere: 8:36am On Jul 21, 2019
You mean the concept spun under Darwinian theory? What does that have to do with religious practice?

hopefulLandlord:

what do you understand by "survival of the fittest"?
Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by LordKO(m): 8:37am On Jul 21, 2019
The leaders and religion aren't the cause of backwardness in Africa, they people are, the majority have poor mentality and ethics.

4 Likes

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by hopefulLandlord: 8:38am On Jul 21, 2019
EkunKekere:

You mean the concept spun under Darwinian theory? What does that have to do with religious practice?

the person I quoted made mention of it but it appears he had a wrong but popular idea of what it means judging by his mention of "war"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 21, 2019

1 Like

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Elvis778(m): 8:38am On Jul 21, 2019
Mrchippychappy:

Thats not down to religion, thats due to misplaced priorities from our leaders.
i think you should also check how much Nigerian government and individuals spend on pilgrimage yearly,
millions if not billions of naira, to sponsor her citizens to go for pilgrimage and pray that we have good roads, hospitals, constant power supply, economic growth and the rest,
isn't that crazy?
Instead of investing the money into the economy to aid economic growth, or use it to build good schools, or invest it into the health sector,
rather, we invest it on prayer, for manner to fall from heaven.......
Religion just made us extremely dumb, the so called Christianity is not even united,
am a Christian but i do get ashamed in the midst of Muslims, why??
We ain't united within us,
the Pentecostal will always criticize the Catholics, the Catholics too sometimes criticize Pentecostals, calling our selves several names, people that call themselves Christians??
A whole pastor saying all Catholics are idol worshippers and are going to hell.
Religious bodies also draining the poor masses, threatening them with hell.
If you ask me, Religion should be eradicated from Africa, Nigeria in particular,
lets all pray from our various home,
but no shrines,
no church,
no mosques,
no jihad movements,
etc.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Adakintroy2: 8:38am On Jul 21, 2019
Not all celebrities are vain and not all religious activities are devoid of ulterior motives.
Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by DarkJeddi(m): 8:40am On Jul 21, 2019
Lekison:
hmm..fact Bro. we keep blaming religion especially Christianity for our woes and failures as if we are the most religious set of people on earth.
Are we not the most religious set of people on earth?

Infact,the issue on the ground is why are the MOST religious Societies on earth also the most UNDERDEVELOPED and IMPROVERISHED?

Meditate on THAT and call it COINCIDENCE if you like.. shocked

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by EkunKekere: 8:40am On Jul 21, 2019
Well, the idea may have originated with Darwin, but it has adapted to several other uses e.g Social Darwinism.

hopefulLandlord:

the person I quoted made mention of it but it appears he had a wrong but popular idea of what it means judging by his mention of "war"
Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by hopefulLandlord: 8:41am On Jul 21, 2019
EkunKekere:

Well, the idea may have originated with Darwin, but it has adapted to several other uses e.g Social Darwinism.

what do you understand by the statement "survival of the fittest"?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Tellemall: 8:44am On Jul 21, 2019
babasolution:
cry

I dont think these things are exclusive to african peoples alone other races do things like this,the differences is that there are consequences for bad behaviour in many of this other societies,what africa lacks is the right leadership,if we manage to get that u will see african society transform beyound believe

True enough.

Spitting that orange/red Asian leaf that made the pavements so horrible was made punishable by law.

I was shocked to see a man at a parking lot just whip out this junk and begin to water the tires of a car. Why do Nigerian people do these things? No shame? He should have been arrested for public indecency if there was a law for it. Also I saw a man squatting to urinate into a gutter. I was confused. We stand for that, right? And he just pulled his trousers off to expose his dark buttocks and after walked away as if nothing had happened.

And we want to blame religion for this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by mmsen: 8:45am On Jul 21, 2019
Religion is one of the first things taught to most people in this part of the world and thus is one of the chief culprits.

Individuals are taught allegiance to Mecca, Rome or Canterbury before their own home town, state or country.

And if you are teaching people nonsense such as:

"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11

"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." Matthew 10:35-27

In addition to all the proscriptions against abortion, divorce and rational thought in general. It shouldn't surprise anybody why it is so difficult to pass common sense legislation or put in place rational measures in countries such as Nigeria where religion is more important than human life.

And it isn't just xtianity. Islam is a visible cancer in Nigeria with hundreds of thousands of people killed over the past few years for the most stupid of reasons.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 21, 2019
princeogbeide1:
Religion is simply the reason why Africans are poor and backward. We don't want to be logical and creative but we want a miracle to happen. In the fight for this miracle, we go to church and start donating money for pastors and the female followers offers their pussy to their pastors as well. This is a big shame on us because the British that brought Christianity into Africa don't practice Christianity like this. They don't believe in miracles but they explore and make the world a better place.
Those pastors are conmen, although it's not all of them. However, Christianity is not the problem. Even the Whites also believe in miracles; ours is stupidity. People often say that Asians are not religious. It's not true. What do we call Buddhism? What do we call Hinduism? I strongly believe it's the mindset of Africans that drags them back. Even Islam is not antithetical to civilization; it's the way Africans practise it. Is United Arab Emirates not Islamic? But Dubai is one of the most visited cities in the world, because it has attained a great height in development. Even African leaders that go to church are not Christians biblically. They're more of occultists who hide under the cloak of Christianity to perpetrate evil. Africa's poor development and backwardness were and are still being caused by devilish, heartless and corrupt leaders. It has nothing to do with religion or specifically Christianity.

1 Like

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by EkunKekere: 8:45am On Jul 21, 2019
I personally understand it to mean that a specie which can adapt to changing circumstances has a better chance of surviving and passing on its genes.

hopefulLandlord:
what do you understand by the statement "survival of the fittest"?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by zcee: 8:46am On Jul 21, 2019
Elvis778:

i think you should also check how much Nigerian government spends on pilgrimage yearly,
millions if not billions of naira, to sponsor her citizens to go for pilgrimage and pray that we have good roads, hospitals, constant power supply, economic growth and the rest,
isn't that crazy?
Instead of investing the money into the economy to aid economic growth, or use it to build good schools, or invest it into the health sector,
rather, we invest it on prayer, for manner to fall from heaven.......
Religion just made us extremely dumb, the so called Christianity is not even united,
am a Christian but i do get ashamed in the midst of Muslims, why??
We ain't united within us,
the Pentecostal will always criticize the Catholics, the Catholics too sometimes criticize Pentecostals, calling our selves several names, people that call themselves Christians??
A whole pastor saying all Catholics are idol worshippers and are going to hell.
Religious bodies also draining the poor masses, threatening them with hell.
If you ask me, Religion should be eradicated from Africa, Nigeria in particular,
lets all pray from our various home,
but no shrines,
no church,
no mosques,
no jihad movements,
etc.
brother you ve made my day...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Tellemall: 8:47am On Jul 21, 2019
princeogbeide1:

I reflect Africaness because I am a sadistic, backward creature. Besides Africaness is an English word but I do not know that because I do not read or understand. No iota of logic in my brain.
Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by BigBashiru: 8:48am On Jul 21, 2019
daddytime:
What is the reason for the follower's backwardness, bearing in mind that the leaders often graduate up from followership?

Therein lies the problems.

A docile, corrupt (morally and otherwise), evil and wicked followership can't transform into a good leadership overnight.

Our problems are ingrained and in our DNA.

It is a race thing, not just continental Africa but with blacks world over.

Thanks for speaking the truth; the black race seems cursed.... blacks are so good for nothing. Look At railway development in Nigeria it's being built by the Chinese. If you put Nigerian workers on that project, they will just build the railway anyhow and go and continue sleeping with their many wives. Blacks are a useless race and a disgrace to humanity. The only good ones are either christians or those that have associated with blessed ppls (e.g. Jews).
Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 21, 2019
And this nonsense made it to front page I am gutted!

Hugely disappointed that the mods pushed this. Religion is a problem and the emphasis placed on religion by both the leaders and the led is an even bigger problem that must sorted out.

Truth hurts, Op. But we can't just shy away from it. BTW why does Op bear the name of a world-renowned religious fundamentalist though? smiley I'm curious.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Reference(m): 8:49am On Jul 21, 2019
stagger:

Ws the ministry of Jesus Christ here on earth not a prime example of how you can build a better now and yet have a promise of a better eternity? Hungry people were fed, sick were healed...He even paid his tax when demanded.

So what are you on about?

What Jesus did that is not happening today is that very little is being built, and I mean the quality of individuals. The key to Christianity is discipleship. That is the ability to take a man from the grassroots (quite literaly) teaching him, empowering him and sending him out to project values. It simply does not exist in the Nigerian church. This is a discussion I have had with a pastor and blood brother after me.

What we have are colonies of various denominational groupings seeking to create utopian islands under their control which seek to increasingly isolate their 'members' from the world while trying to attract new members. The idea of trying to have a church state or a church empire is not bad in principle but I donot think the notion of 'in this world but not of the world' as is being practiced today in Nigeria is what Jesus aspired to do becuase he also said 'we are the salt of the earth'. And what is the value of salt if it is not mixed in with or applied to something.

What impact has the church made in the prospects, the aspirations of nation Nigeria. How many times have you heard folks complaining about how other religions dominate and how christians compromise and melt into nothingness in the face of challenges. How many times have you heard comlpaints about the number two man in Nigeria. There is something obviously wrong and not working with the way religion including christianity is set up to work or not to work for the country and the peoples of Nigeria in particular.

For example there are folks no matter what needs to be fixed on their automoblies prefer the job be done in their homes or offices and under their watch They will never take their vehicles to an autoshop for various reasons while others insist to get the best it needs to be done there. Similarly there are those who feel that religion not projected, felt, appreciated and positively impactful on society in general is not right. While others feel it is okay to build oasis and islands of religious 'tranquility' in the midst of the stormy world is what God meant.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Nobody: 8:49am On Jul 21, 2019
Religion cripples the mind.

It's cancerous.

What it's doing to able bodied men and women compelled me to hate it with passion.

Reduces an average man's IQ to minus 1.

Remove religion and Africa will become super power

Funny enough, those that introduced religion to us especially Christianity has long left the system.
Muslim countries like Dubai and Turkey makes me think if their religious beliefs are simply for decorative purposes as they don't abide by the Islamic codes most of the time.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Nobody: 8:49am On Jul 21, 2019
BigBashiru:

Thanks for speaking the truth; the black race seems cursed.... blacks are so good for nothing. Look At railway development in Nigeria it's being built by the Chinese. If you put Nigerian workers on that project, they will just build the railway anyhow and go and continue sleeping with their many wives. Blacks are a useless race and a disgrace to humanity. The only good ones are either christians or those that have associated with blessed ppls (e.g. Jews).

Only a self-loathing cretin would naturally think like this... Take a bow, mate.

You might not know it yet but people with your kind of mindset are the ones holding Africa back. You need a little re-education and re-orientation to get you thinking like a proper homo sapiens again.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by babasolution: 8:50am On Jul 21, 2019
BigBashiru:
Africans are cursed. The black race is cursed. This is why the continent will continue to experience problems. Unless ppl turn to Jesus Christ for salvation, the continent is doomed.

Are there not enough people serving jesus christ already why has things not changed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 21, 2019
BeLookingIDIOT:
Even in the advanced west and other areas.Religious regions the "bible belts" just happen to be most backward.

Word.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pastor Taiwo Odukoya Explains Wife's Early Delivery / What Does The Bible Say About Selling, Harvest And Bazaar In Church? / How T.B Joshua Leads Nigeria’s Religious Tourism Drive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.