Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,375 members, 7,826,473 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father (8351 Views)

Soldiers Arrest 92 Herdsmen In Abuja / Soldiers Arrest Fleeing Boko Haram Terrorists, Kill Many Others (Graphic Pics) / Soldiers Arrest Boko Haram Financier (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by nobleND(m): 6:52am On Oct 16, 2010
SOLDIERS deployed in Abia State to forestall the rampant incidents of kidnapping in the state have arrested a reverend father suspected to have facilitated the activities of kidnappers.

The Catholic priest (names withheld) was arrested at Umuezi Mgboko in Obingwa Local Government Area on the suspicion that he aided and abetted kidnapping in the area.

The reverend father, who is in of charge St. Michael’s Catholic Church in the town, was arrested when the soldiers stormed the community to arrest one of the kingpins of kidnapping in the area, simply known as Susu.

Army Public Relations Officer Lt.Col Sagir Musa who spoke with journalists at the village, noted that the kidnapping syndicate operated with a high level network which enabled the members to alert one another about the movements of security agents.

Musa noted that the syndicate had a checkpoint which acted as a point of no return for victims.

“Once you get to that point, you are at a place where you cannot but be kidnapped. And one surprising thing is that they have their camp behind the building of the Catholic church and sourced their water from the church’s borehole,” Musa alleged.

He noted that when soldiers stormed the suspected kidnapper’s camp, they found some people there, adding that the military would go to any length to ensure that Susu was apprehended, so that he would explain his involvement in kidnapping.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news-update/16121.html

Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by okeymadu(m): 9:16am On Oct 16, 2010
Revd. Father? Damn it!
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by slap1(m): 9:53am On Oct 16, 2010
JTF should start packing if they've nothing more to do. That priest is innocent, I know him. He only came back from London last month.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 16, 2010
@ slap1
JTF should start packing if they've nothing more to do. That priest is innocent, I know him. He only came back from London last month.

You sound like GEJ defending MEND. Let the law enforcement agents carry out their investigation. The priest is only human. If he is innocent, he will be released.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by slap1(m): 10:36am On Oct 16, 2010
kITA TITA:

@ slap1

You sound like GEJ defending MEND. Let the law enforcement agents carry out their investigation. The priest is only human. If he is innocent, he will be released.
I hope so! Lol @LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENTS
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by ifyalways(f): 1:43pm On Oct 16, 2010
slap1:

You know him as a friend or u know that he is innocent ?
If he is innocent,let him defend himself,shikena.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by justwise(m): 1:53pm On Oct 16, 2010
slap1:

How much do you know abt what he gets up to? This idea that anybody that calls himself a man of God is a saint is nonsense, we all know they are not.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by koruji(m): 1:55pm On Oct 16, 2010
slap1:

So they should just ignore the fact that a kidnapping camp was behind the church and the kidnappers were getting water from there. While this doesn't provide proof of his involvement it is grounds for suspicion, and they are right to arrest him.

Whether he is involved or not will soon become known with proper investigation. That is the only thing that we need to call for - proper investigation.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by slap1(m): 2:04pm On Oct 16, 2010
ifyalways:

You know him as a friend or u know that he is innocent ?
If he is innocent,let him defend himself,shikena.
Interesting, how many innocent people suceed in defending themselves in this country? I know he will come out soon, he only has to part with a good sum of money. Imagine the flimsy question he was asked: "why are you driving a car like this in this small village?" Empty rounds of ammunition were found in the church compound and it's purlieus and he was arrested. Meanwhile, every body had deserted the place, including the parishioners. Did they say they caught him IN the church?
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by slap1(m): 2:17pm On Oct 16, 2010
koruji:

So they should just ignore the fact that a kidnapping camp was behind the church and the kidnappers were getting water from there. While this doesn't provide proof of his involvement it is grounds for suspicion, and they are right to arrest him.

Whether he is involved or not will soon become known with proper investigation. That is the only thing that we need to call for - proper investigation.
I hope the investigation goes right. These guys took over a whole village! So what's odd in getting water from 'their' bore-hole? Everything they need, the get it by force! I can assure you that the priest has reported the activities of those boys to the police and nothing came out of it. The army are just arresting everybody in sight in the village.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 16, 2010
slap1:

So because they arrested your man they should go. angry However you as don't know all  about his movements and contacts its not for you to speculate about his guilt or innocence. I am sure the JTF have their reasons for arresting and interrogating him. If he has been involved in things like gunsafekeeping or hostage negotiation then of course he should expect to face the full wrath of the law.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 16, 2010
slap1:

Interesting, how many innocent people suceed in defending themselves in this country? I know he will come out soon, he only has to part with a good sum of money. Imagine the flimsy question he was asked: "why are you driving a car like this in this small village?" Empty rounds of ammunition were found in the church compound and it's purlieus and he was arrested. Meanwhile, every body had deserted the place, including the parishioners. Did they say they caught him IN the church?
You have to do better than that. It is an open secret that robbers and hoodlums have been known to store their guns and ammunition in places like chuches and cemetries. So you would expect the security officials to arrest those in charge of such places if such incriminating evidence is found there.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 16, 2010
the only way he can prove himself innocent of dis allegation is for him reveal d police station where he had ealier reported d activities of these hoodlums, he dare not say he is ignorant of their avtivities.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by IrdMan: 2:48pm On Oct 16, 2010
The priest may not be involved but certainly he knew of the camp.
Probably he decided not to report the activities of the kidnappers due to lack of faith in the police force!
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 16, 2010
Ir.d.Man:

The priest may not be involved but certainly he knew of the camp.
Probably he decided not to report the activities of the kidnappers due to lack of faith in the police force!
You don't know that especially as the police themselves have been victims of the kidnappers. There are other agencies he could have reported to if he did not trust his local divisional police office.
He has to take full responsibility for his actions and inactions on this matter.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by mystikal(m): 3:10pm On Oct 16, 2010
The Pope must hear this!!!
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by slap1(m): 3:12pm On Oct 16, 2010
I just have to let sleeping dogs lie. People die for crimes they didn't commit even in established systems like America. I know he will come back, and I will also post it here, with his pictures and all, cos the press won't.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Donmeca(m): 3:19pm On Oct 16, 2010
That's bad, coming at this time the Church is trying to clean up its global image. i beliv the soldiers are doing their job-a good one compared to that of police. hop the guy is innocent sha and may they arrest that guy, 'susu'.

@slap1: even if d priest is ya twin bros, u can't just dismiss suspicion like that-there has to be an investigation, even though ours is stone-aged and thus takes too long.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by asha80(m): 3:23pm On Oct 16, 2010
tensor777:

You don't know that especially as the police themselves have been victims of the kidnappers. There are other agencies he could have reported to if he did not trust his local divisional police office.
He has to take full responsibility for his actions and inactions on this matter.

What other agencies taking the situation os aba into question
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by slap1(m): 3:32pm On Oct 16, 2010
Donmeca:

That's bad, coming at this time the Church is trying to clean up its global image. i beliv the soldiers are doing their job-a good one compared to that of police. hop the guy is innocent sha and may they arrest that guy, 'susu'.

@slap1: even if d priest is ya twin bros, u can't just dismiss suspicion like that-there has to be an investigation, even though ours is stone-aged and thus takes too long.
Let the investigations go on then. My only consolation is he has money and will come out soon. Four of his family members arrested together with him have been released.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Azibalua(f): 3:33pm On Oct 16, 2010
I await more information to know what the reverend has to say
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by sley4life(m): 3:35pm On Oct 16, 2010
why are these soldiers covering der face. Have they turned to Ninja
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by asha80(m): 3:38pm On Oct 16, 2010
slap1:

Let the investigations go on then. My only consolation is he has money and will come out soon. Four of his family members arrested together with him have been released.

Bros how is aba generally now as per business activities?
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 16, 2010
asha 80:

What other agencies taking the situation os aba into question
You should know this more than me. Area command HQ, State Police command HQ, Special(Mobile) Police HQ, Army Battalion HQ, etc etc. The key issues is that the calls and visits should be  recorded in case of any eventuality.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by asha80(m): 3:44pm On Oct 16, 2010
tensor777:

You should know this more than me. Area command HQ, State Police command HQ, Special(Mobile) Police HQ, Army Battalion HQ, etc etc. The key issues is that the calls and visits should be recorded in case of any eventuality.

If you leave in aba or abia you will not say the bolded.

I agree though that calls and visit should be recorded in case of any eventuality
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 16, 2010
asha 80:

If you live in aba or abia you will not say the bolded.
Can you expantiate on that?
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by okeyxyz(m): 3:47pm On Oct 16, 2010

And one surprising thing is that they have their camp behind the building of the Catholic church and sourced their water from the church’s borehole,” Musa alleged.

so if kidnappers happen to use a house behind mine to hold their victims, & it also happens dat they come around to buy water from my borehole, dat automatically make me a kidnapper shey?

He noted that when soldiers stormed the suspected kidnapper’s camp, they found some people there, adding that the military would go to any length to ensure that  Susu was apprehended

so there were in fact some ppl found or arrested in this camp eh? has any of them (or anybody for dat matter) pointed out d priest as a gang member, or visitor of this camp, like there r fingers & allegations against susu himself?

it seems this is already a botched operation. God save d innocent.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by asha80(m): 3:53pm On Oct 16, 2010
tensor777:

Can you expantiate on that?

When politicians and commisioner of police have a hand in what is going on and the military is under the command from abuja what do you do?
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by ralphaello: 4:10pm On Oct 16, 2010
our confused nation, called nigeria grin
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by celemel(m): 4:16pm On Oct 16, 2010
I happen to have some info regarding that area of Abia coz my sis marries there. The people were overrun and conquered by hoodlums and kidnappers long long time ago. It was so bad that no one dared report any matter to the police lest, you end up dead the next moment. They infiltrated the police rank and file. No one challenged them. The police in Abia was completely in their tank. So, if the Rev. Fr. had to survive,then he definitely needed to serve them his token which in this instance is water. It's that bad. No doubt, worse stories would come out of that land. It's more corrupt and corrupting than Soddom and Gomorrah.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by otokx(m): 4:28pm On Oct 16, 2010
The priest should never compromise to evil; he should have simply sought his transfer out of Abia state.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Beync(f): 5:09pm On Oct 16, 2010
If i found out any incriminatin activity is goin on around my suroundin, i will be a gud citizen by reportin to the relevant authority and not to wait to be arested with the criminals.
and will also keep records of reports for future references.
that u are a reverend does not mean u r an innocent citizen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ex-Militants Get More Money Than Health Sector: Nigeria's 2012 Budget / Anambra Governorship Petition: ngige Loses Appeal Against Obiano’s Election. / FOR IGBOS ONLY (nairaland Forum Biafra Census)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.