Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,956 members, 7,838,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father (8359 Views)

Soldiers Arrest 92 Herdsmen In Abuja / Soldiers Arrest Fleeing Boko Haram Terrorists, Kill Many Others (Graphic Pics) / Soldiers Arrest Boko Haram Financier (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by na2day(m): 5:21pm On Oct 16, 2010
celemel:

I happen to have some info regarding that area of Abia coz my sis marries there. The people were overrun and conquered by hoodlums and kidnappers long long time ago. It was so bad that no one dared report any matter to the police lest, you end up dead the next moment. They infiltrated the police rank and file. No one challenged them. The police in Abia was completely in their tank. So, if the Rev. Fr. had to survive,then he definitely needed to serve them his token which in this instance is water. It's that bad. No doubt, worse stories would come out of that land. It's more corrupt and corrupting than Soddom and Gomorrah.

Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by EzeUche0(m): 5:26pm On Oct 16, 2010
He is a priest for goodness sake. Even if the kidnappers confessed to him, he has to keep the vow of silence. Sorry but this is a separation between Church & State.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by ddon4(m): 5:41pm On Oct 16, 2010
Gbam !!!

he don happen
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 16, 2010
Beync:

If i found out any incriminatin activity is goin on around my suroundin, i will be a gud citizen by reportin to the relevant authority and not to wait to be arested with the criminals.
and will also keep records of reports for future references.
that u are a reverend does not mean u r an innocent citizen.
True. I always considered it strange that the kidnappers have been able to  operate with impunity for so long in such a crowded metropolis. The truth is so many residents have, for some reason turned a blind eye to their nefarious activities. Regardless of rumours of collusion and weak conspiracy theories there are many alternative agencies to report these type of crimes to. After all these crimes have led to a lot of innocent citizens losing their lives and property not to talk of losses suffered by the security forces themselves
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by EzeUche0(m): 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2010
tensor777:

True. I always considered it strange that the kidnappers have been able to  operate with impunity for so long in such a crowded metropolis. The truth is so many residents have, for some reason turned a blind eye to their nefarious activities. Regardless of rumours of collusion and weak conspiracy theories there are many alternative agencies to report these type of crimes to. After all these crimes have led to a lot of innocent citizens losing their lives and property not to talk of losses suffered by the security forces themselves

It is easier said than done. The fact in the matter is that people who report these crimes can die. The police wont protect them, so who will?
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by asha80(m): 6:08pm On Oct 16, 2010
EzeUche0:

It is easier said than done. The fact in the matter is that people who report these crimes can die. The police wont protect them, so who will?

maybe he thinks london is aba undecided.

conspiracy theories indeed for someone not on ground
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by bernard4ve: 6:11pm On Oct 16, 2010
What the JTF have done is good. The said reverend father will be vindicated if truly he is innocent. Kudos to JTF.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 16, 2010
I think the priest is only human considering what was happenning in Abia at that time when even the police could not do anything. If he had reported and the news filtered back to the kidnappers that he reported, what would have happened to him would have been worse. Or maybe, he even reported and nothing came out of it.
I am not saying the priest is innocent because he is a man of God as they say, because we even have Judas in Jesus cabinet, but let us allow the law to take His course. He is a priest and everybody is interested in the case and i don't think he will be unfairly treated as he is already a respected man. Most times it is only the poor and lowly that get jailed for crimes they didn't commit and not the rich or influential.
Any rich man or influential man convicted and jailed is really guilty in Nigeria.
if he is not guilty, he will get out very soon, and he may even be guilty and still come out, but it will almost be impossible for him to be convicted without being involved in the crime he is accused of.
There is no personal grudge in this because i am also a catholic, but i think the truth must be said.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by jamace(m): 6:48pm On Oct 16, 2010
Time will tell. I know he will be given the benefit of doubt to explain himself.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Donmeca(m): 6:51pm On Oct 16, 2010
Let the investigations go on then.  My only consolation is he has money and will come out soon. Four of his family members arrested together with him have been released.

He is d principal u know. he will come out if he is innocent. My concern is mostly about d Church he reps
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by slap1(m): 7:04pm On Oct 16, 2010
Donmeca:

He is d principal u know. he will come out if he is innocent. My concern is mostly about d Church he reps
You're funny. If you've ever witnessed something and read the embellished version courtesy of the press, you'll understand how I feel. But, like I said, let the investigations go on. So far, there is no direct link between him and the kidnappers.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by info2009: 7:16pm On Oct 16, 2010
In my own view for the JTF to find susu by all means they have to apprehend any body so with time, the rev father would be released.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by clomn(m): 7:22pm On Oct 16, 2010
I RESERVE MY COMMENTS.

ANYWAY THE JTF SHOULD BE CAREFUL BUT IF THE REVEREND FATHER IS GUILTY I WILL LIKE HIM TO DIE BY HANGING.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by koruji(m): 7:50pm On Oct 16, 2010
That is taking the privilege too far. A confession is usually done when you have stopped or are seeking help to stop committing crime. Confession is not for something you are doing deliberately, and plan to keep doing deliberately.

Plus the fact that the camp was located behind the church takes it beyond the realm of priestly privileges.

EzeUche0:

He is a priest for goodness sake. Even if the kidnappers confessed to him, he has to keep the vow of silence. Sorry but this is a separation between Church & State.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by udokpuenyi(m): 8:04pm On Oct 16, 2010
As an  ardent catholic , let me assume that the issue of arresting the priest is just a mix up. On the other hand if any ordained catholic priest is aware of the activities of criminals in his area and he kept mute, then he is not worthy of   raising the chalice in the holy eucharist . As far as i know, no amount of threat can stop a catholic priest from reporting criminality in an area which he is to be the chief shepherd, otherwise the whole catholic faith and conscience is in great danger. For now let us keep our fingers crossed and  patiently wait for the emergence of facts and realities.

Finally, the soldiers should not forget the biblical injunction " Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm"
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 16, 2010
udokpuenyi:

As an  ardent catholic , let me assume that the issue of arresting the priest is just a mix up. On the other hand if any ordained catholic priest is aware of the activities of criminals in his area and he kept mute, then he is not worthy of   raising the chalice in the holy eucharist . As far as i know, no amount of threat can stop a catholic priest from reporting criminality in an area which he is to be the chief shepherd, otherwise the whole catholic faith and conscience is in great danger. For now let us keep our fingers crossed and  patiently wait for the emergence of facts and realities.
True. Keeping mute was not even a wise choice as a matter of fact since as they say every day for the thief, one day for the owner. Surely he couldn't have expected the kidnappers not to eventually face the wrath of the law??
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Ericology(m): 12:43am On Oct 17, 2010
gzib:

I think the priest is only human considering what was happenning in Abia at that time when even the police could not do anything. If he had reported and the news filtered back to the kidnappers that he reported, what would have happened to him would have been worse. Or maybe, he even reported and nothing came out of it.
I am not saying the priest is innocent because he is a man of God as they say, because we even have Judas in Jesus cabinet, but let us allow the law to take His course. He is a priest and everybody is interested in the case and i don't think he will be unfairly treated as he is already a respected man. Most times it is only the poor and lowly that get jailed for crimes they didn't commit and not the rich or influential.
Any rich man or influential man convicted and jailed is really guilty in Nigeria.
if he is not guilty, he will get out very soon, and he may even be guilty and still come out, but it will almost be impossible for him to be convicted without being involved in the crime he is accused of.
There is no personal grudge in this because i am also a catholic, but i think the truth must be said. 

I know the story . the Priest is not a kidnapper, He met some of the kidnappers who happen to come from his village and tried to talk them into repenting from their evil ways instead of alerting the police, thats why he was arrested as aiding and abetting, hes gonna be free soon
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by BlueMagic2(m): 1:28am On Oct 17, 2010
What can 1 expect when the military is doin the job of the police, unneccessary conclusion. This is 1 of the numerous reasons the incompetent Nigerian police should be sacked, disbanded, erased & people should start protecting themselves. Like the police dont know who these kidnappers are or their hideouts. Bunch of incompetent morons angry
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by wynish87(m): 2:00am On Oct 17, 2010
JTF should start packing if they've nothing more to do. That priest is innocent, I know him. He only came back from London last month.

we dont just decide like dat. the Nigeria govt. should find out the matter very well before the law.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by eros(m): 8:50am On Oct 17, 2010
Reverend Father and kidnapping
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 17, 2010
Ericology:

I know the story . the Priest is not a kidnapper, He met some of the kidnappers who happen to come from his village and tried to talk them into repenting from their evil ways instead of alerting the police, thats why he was arrested as aiding and abetting, hes gonna be free soon
Nobody accused the priest of kidnapping so what are you on about. The main issue is that he did not report the kidnappers to the appropriate authorities even though he knew them personally. That was his civic responsibility. He also has an ecclesiastical responsibility to protect his parishoners from any harm that may befall them due to the nefarious activities of the hoodlums.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Stevogue(m): 10:02am On Oct 17, 2010
Hmn! I think say una talk say this priest just dey return from London. With his level of exposure and the rigorous priesthood training, he can't be ignorant of the criminal activities around him which have wasted hundreds of lives and put at risk the lives of 15 school kids. Where is his conscious? Face the facts people: He is either complicit or utterly dumb!
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Stevogue(m): 10:03am On Oct 17, 2010
conscience
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by ossaisly(m): 10:29am On Oct 17, 2010
Am so confused. Is it that the priest is living close to the criminals,he ought to it and report to the security agencies? Or he eats and dine with this criminals without knowing whom they are? Why not keep quite in this site(NL) and stop causing blasphemy against a priest. Even the priest hasn't spoken,lets hear from him too.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Ranoscky(m): 10:37am On Oct 17, 2010
udokpuenyi:

Finally, the soldiers should not forget the biblical injunction " Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm"

Shey na soldiers wey be say d only language wey dem dey hia na "shoot" naim u dey quote bible for ? undecided

I laff in military !!! grin
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by hackney(m): 10:40am On Oct 17, 2010
It is true that in nigeria, the must-get-a-scape-goat syndrome is rife.
As a result the priest may be completely innocent and has no idea of what he is being accused of.
The JTF may have wondered into the village and seen that the only person that will give them huge sums is the priest.

on the other hand:
Anything can happen in that devil's playground called nigera.
I dont trust anybody there.
after all  if most of the priests are screwing choir girls and married women, what stops them from aiding kidnapping?
(are some sins bigger than others in his eyes?)

We simply need to wait it out ,especially to hear what the priest has to say for himnself.

Most of all, in aba it's all about money,money,money.
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by slap1(m): 11:04am On Oct 17, 2010
I wish I can give y'all a clearer picture of the TRUE STORY behind this , but I can't. When this priest was transfered to that church, the youths of his previous parish carried placards in protest. Why? He was being transfered because he stopped the parish council from having access to the church money. He gives the church band and hall free of charge to any parishioner that wants to wed, he charges no money for baptism, he virtually blocked every avenue through which the church 'fathers' steal church money. His transfer to that village was a pure act of vendetta. Tell me where priests in a rural area like Obingwa drives three SUVs and a V-boot Mercedes? And he came to that church with those cars. But I will say it again, let the law run it's course!
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by JUO(m): 12:44pm On Oct 17, 2010
don't they buy things? they should arrest all the stores around the camp because they are close. nonsense, where are the Abuja bombers? have they been caught? they should leave what they are supposed to do. catch all the the villagers, because u are looking kidnappers. ask the Governor where the kidnappers are he will tell you. leave innocent people alone
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by JUO(m): 12:59pm On Oct 17, 2010
all of you here, tell me you don't have drug dealers around you? why have you not reported them? did the police commissioner tell you he didn't know about the camp?

some of you here are drug addicts, why have you not reported yourself to the police? did the governor and the police commissioner tell you they don't know who the kidnappers are? for your own info they know the all camps, where guys stay, the god fathers, they knew. why can't they the governor the police that give them guns and bullets be arrested? saints in nairaland all the money you scammed, have you reported yourself to the police?

kettle calling pot black

they should arrest the real people including the Abuja bombers

if them get mind make them go arrest IBB
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by hinduism(f): 1:28pm On Oct 17, 2010
Is he the only pastor involve in crime, many of them are doing it openly inside the church
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by phreakabit(m): 1:49pm On Oct 17, 2010
Amongst the few intelligent and abundant numb skulls in here i single this out as the best quote

^^
Guy 2 Thumbs up!!!
Re: Kidnapping: Soldiers Arrest Reverend Father by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 17, 2010
JUO:

don't they buy things? they should arrest all the stores around the camp because they are close. nonsense, where are the Abuja bombers? have they been caught? they should leave what they are supposed to do. catch all the the villagers, because u are looking kidnappers. ask the Governor where the kidnappers are he will tell you. leave innocent people alone
So when they are buying things and fetching water for their hostages like 15 little kids, every trader will turn to a blind and deaf mute? angry Is that it? angry Well they chose the evil option of remaining mute and not exposing the hoodlums to the appropriate authorities. angry
The JTF would be wise to consider every body that has had business dealings with the bandits  in that area a suspect.
I don't know why people like you are commenting on this issue as the law must take its course. That's the problem in places like Aba where bandits have reigned for so long. It gives some misguided elements the impression that criminals and their accomplices don't have to face the consequences of their actions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Suntai Sues Speaker, Seeks Powers As Gov / FOR IGBOS ONLY (nairaland Forum Biafra Census) / The Bad Princes Of Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.