Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,808 members, 7,810,107 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja (7498 Views)

Poll: Should children be flogged by the government for hawking?

Yes: 12% (16 votes)
No: 87% (111 votes)
This poll has ended

Electoral Fraud: 2 Minors Nabbed With Ballot Papers Stuffed In Bag / Sammie Okposo Apologies To Buhari For Saying He Should Be Flogged For Forgery / Sammie Okposo Slams Buhari, Says He Should Be Flogged For Forgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by bawomolo(m): 5:20pm On Oct 21, 2010
Nine hawkers who are minors were yesterday ordered to be flogged seven strokes of the cane while 21 others were sentenced to one month imprisonment by an Abuja mobile court for hawking in Abuja.

The minor hawkers are I.K Ochine, Salisu Ibrahim, Madu Mpam, Tunde Famakinde, Ibrahim Muhammed, Sahadu Adamu, Francis Isha, Suleiman Usman and Aminu Yakubu.

Those sentenced are Ubaka Okeke, Sanusi Mustapha, Awalu Yahaya, Hannatu Galadima, Abdul Usman, Abuchi Igwe, Nelson Madela, Umar Mahammudu, Chioma Ugwu, Isah Umar, Rabiu Muhammed Fatima Abubakar. Joy Joseph, Suleman Ibrahim, Adebayo Sade, Mustapha Ahmed, Murtala Sani Suleman Usman, Daudu Abdullahi, Nuhu Muhammed and Sahabiu Saidu

The prosecutor, Barrister Eze E. Eze, had earlier told the court that the accused persons were arrested by the task force of the Abuja Environmental Protection Board (AEPB) while hawking at road junctions and unauthorized places within the FCT, an offence punishable under Section 35 (1) of the AEPB Act No 10 of 1997.

The accused persons pleaded guilty when the charge was read to them and begged for leniency, promising not to do it again.

The prosecutor urged the court to try the accused persons summarily under Section 157 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

Magistrate Aminu Abdullahi sentenced each of the 21 hawkers to one month's imprisonment with an option of N3,000 fine and ordered that the minors be given seven strokes of cane.

The magistrate also ordered that the items seized from those sentenced should be released to them while those of the minors should not be released until they brought their parents.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201010210806.html

this my friends is child welfare services nigerian style.
spare the rod, spoil the child.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by violent(m): 5:24pm On Oct 21, 2010
bawomolo:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201010210806.html

this my friends is child welfare services nigerian style.
spare the rod, spoil the child.

lmao!

Its incredible that the parents that subjected those kids to such horrendous moments will be left off the hook
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by asha80(m): 5:25pm On Oct 21, 2010
Why flogging  

Is Abuja a Sharia controlled entity  

Those sentenced are Ubaka Okeke, Sanusi Mustapha, Awalu Yahaya, Hannatu Galadima, Abdul Usman, Abuchi Igwe, Nelson Madela, Umar Mahammudu, Chioma Ugwu, Isah Umar, Rabiu Muhammed Fatima Abubakar. Joy Joseph, Suleman Ibrahim, Adebayo Sade, Mustapha Ahmed, Murtala Sani Suleman Usman, Daudu Abdullahi, Nuhu Muhammed and Sahabiu Saidu

undecided
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Brownteeth(m): 5:25pm On Oct 21, 2010
The disobeyed an order and were punished. Whatelse?
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by violent(m): 5:32pm On Oct 21, 2010
Brownteeth:

undecided
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by bawomolo(m): 5:32pm On Oct 21, 2010
times must be hard for nelson mandela  grin

one months in jail for hawking. wouldn't a fine/ticket be good enough?

Brownteeth:

unfair punishment. i don't the kids choose hawking because they thought it was fun
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by googles: 5:40pm On Oct 21, 2010
shocked shocked shocked

Are they serious ? these innocent kids are being punished for their parents' irresponsible attitude ?

wat if they were forced to hawk by their parents ? you dont go, you get whipped by your parents, you go, you get whipped by the government

clear case of "death either ways". . . na wa o. the peak of nonsense
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by violent(m): 5:47pm On Oct 21, 2010
wat if they were forced to hawk by their parents ? you dont go, you get whipped by your parents, you go, you get whipped by the government

given the available options, i'd choose the former, any day!

trust me, you don't wanna get whipped by the government
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 21, 2010
So wft will happen to their parents? Go free? Rubbish!? angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by googles: 5:55pm On Oct 21, 2010
violent:

given the available options, i'd choose the former, any day!

trust me, you don't wanna get whipped by the government

chaii. . . you have not seen some mothers deal with their pikins abi ?

They will gladly pick gofment's seven strokes over their mother's uncountable strokes
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by manmustwac(m): 7:31pm On Oct 21, 2010
abeg everybody has to survive man must wack smiley
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 21, 2010
Nelson Mandela undecided undecided

asha 80:

Why flogging  

Is Abuja a Sharia controlled entity  

undecided

That's what worries me.
These abokis are taking over Abuja cry cry cry

But for real tho, do state officials have the right to lay hands on citizens?
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by EzeUche0(m): 7:43pm On Oct 21, 2010
This is complete and utter nonsense.

This children should be protected, not flogged! angry
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by jumobi1(m): 7:50pm On Oct 21, 2010
Don't blame the parents, blame the government. I'm sure the parents don't willingly tell their kids to hawk.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Okijajuju1(m): 7:56pm On Oct 21, 2010
This brings us back to the days of War Against Indiscipline.

I think the judgement was fair. Next time, those kids will vehemently refuse to go hawking when sent by their parents.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by asha80(m): 7:59pm On Oct 21, 2010
Okija_juju:

I think the judgement was fair. Next time, those kids will vehemently refuse to go hawking when sent by their parents.

you must be joking
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by bawomolo(m): 12:29am On Oct 22, 2010
Okija_juju:

yeah because the kids have that much of a choice.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by koolkalm(m): 12:35am On Oct 22, 2010
At a time when America is celebrating Willow Smith,kids are subjected to labour and undue punishment in my dear nation.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by AloyEmeka5: 12:38am On Oct 22, 2010
This one is official abuse.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by koolkalm(m): 12:56am On Oct 22, 2010
asha 80:

you must be joking
He is the Joker
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Nobody: 1:02am On Oct 22, 2010
The level of mediocrity in Nigeria annoys me angry
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by bawomolo(m): 1:03am On Oct 22, 2010
which hitler voted yes to flogging kids for hawking?
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by EzeUche0(m): 1:14am On Oct 22, 2010
The person who voted for the children to be flogged should be shot on sight.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by mamagee3(f): 1:37am On Oct 22, 2010
bawomolo:

which hitler voted yes to flogging kids for hawking?
I wouldn't be surprised to know it was one of those stinking abokis trying to take out their frustration on innocent kids.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Outstrip(f): 2:33am On Oct 22, 2010
A Ghanaian guy asked me today what I did to celebrate our 50 years as a country. I not that we were in public he would have had to limp out of that building. Nigeria in all her Glory. Beat the crap of the kids why don't you and maybe that will in turn make there irresponsible and useless parents less useless.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Desdo(m): 2:45am On Oct 22, 2010
Why should the children when the govt have failed to protect their right. They should ready think of way to eradicate poverty because I believe no sane child hawk for fun rather they do it 2 make ends meet.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Desdo(m): 2:46am On Oct 22, 2010
Why should the children when the govt have failed to protect their right. They should ready think of way to eradicate poverty because I believe no sane child hawk for fun rather they do it 2 make ends meet.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Kilode1: 2:47am On Oct 22, 2010
SMH @ Barrister Eze E. Eze

SMH @ Magistrate Aminu Abdullahi

SMH @ Abuja Environmental Protection Board (AEPB)

SMH @ Section 35 (1) of the AEPB Act No 10 of 1997.

SMH @ our collective inability to fix Stup.d. . .
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Osama10(m): 2:55am On Oct 22, 2010
One of the problems associated with a failed state.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by chic2pimp(m): 2:58am On Oct 22, 2010
Buncha Bastards!!!!

This is what happens when you have retards in position of power.
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by kabukabu50(m): 3:08am On Oct 22, 2010
flogged??

Nigeria is turning into Afghanistan. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Minors Flogged For Hawking In Abuja by Nobody: 3:58am On Oct 22, 2010
Despite the unfair punishment, I was thinking maybe they got flogged because they were hawking as minors (I mean that maybe a new law has been passed and kids should not be hawking or something along the lines). But surprisingly it was because they were in unauthorized places. Incredible!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan Presents 2013 Budget To National Assembly / Tinubu: May God Give Nigeria Prudent, Honest Leaders Like Jakande / Ogun Workers Ask Dapo Abiodun To Pay Their 17 Month Salary Deductions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.