Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,983 members, 7,810,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

What Does Mysql Database Means? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Does Mysql Database Means? (6509 Views)

How To Upload An Image Into Mysql Database / Import Excel Sheet To Mysql Database / How To Upload Mysql Database To Server (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by suxes2005(m): 3:28pm On Oct 25, 2010
"""DELETED"""""
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Slyr0x: 3:41pm On Oct 25, 2010
[Quote]Web Design and MySQL Database configuration: N180,000[/Quote]

Makes sense nau.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by suxes2005(m): 4:41pm On Oct 25, 2010
we r using smf ooo

SHALOM
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Slyr0x: 4:53pm On Oct 25, 2010
Oh I see. . . He's basically coding nothing.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by DualCore1: 5:06pm On Oct 25, 2010
suxes2005:

@all, find below the quote as given
by the developer,

These are the best specifications for your intended forum website:
Disk Space: 15GB (gigabyte)
Monthly Bandwidth: 1TB (terabyte)
Uptime: 99%
MySQL Database: Unlimited
and
PHP Sendmail.
The estimated cost is as follows:
Domain Name: $25/year =>N3,700/year
Web Hosting: $20/month =>N3,000/mo
[size=8pt][b]Web Design and MySQL Database configuration: N180,000
[/size]
WebMaster Support Team: N5,000/month (free 1st 4Months)

Here's a breakdown of total cost for the first year

The takeoff cost: N258,700

Subsequent years:
With 24hr WebMaster support service: N78,700/year or N7,000/month
WebMaster service Excluded: N18,700/year or N2,000/month[/b]

Thought i shudda given dis at d beginning.

SHALOM
Not so nice coming out in the open with this. If you don't like a quotation, its just best to keep searching for a quotation within your budget and let everyone move on with life. Its always good to have the right clauses in Quotations that will protect one from unlawful distribution of copyrighted material.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by suxes2005(m): 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2010
^^^^ delete that post bro

SHALOM
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by drjayzee(m): 4:03pm On Oct 26, 2010
@ Moderator,

I posted reply on this post, last 2 days, only to find out that, I was denied access to post anymore.

Sorry ************, you've lost your forum posting privileges.

Reason: Posting a message that seems like spam.
If this is a mistake, we're so sorry about this.

An Error Has Occurred!
You are not permitted to post replies to topics on this board.

What's happening ? cos by posting doesnt has anything to do with spamming.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by drjayzee(m): 4:06pm On Oct 26, 2010
drjayzee:

@ Moderator,

I posted reply on this post, last 2 days, only to find out that, I was denied access to post anymore.

Sorry ************, you've lost your forum posting privileges.

Reason: Posting a message that seems like spam.
If this is a mistake, we're so sorry about this.

An Error Has Occurred!
You are not permitted to post replies to topics on this board.

What's happening ? cos by posting doesnt has anything to do with spamming.

@ Moderator, do something about this.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by suxes2005(m): 4:15pm On Oct 26, 2010
^^^

You can use ur new id to post now

SHALOM
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Slyr0x: 4:18pm On Oct 26, 2010
drjayzee, get Mukina2's attention. She was the one that unbanned me.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by drjayzee(m): 4:31pm On Oct 26, 2010
@ Slyr0x, I will contact her next when I banned again, oh my man, I have jist with you but I will communicate with you later on it, seem we have something in common, ; Ethical hacking, BackTrack4, free vulnerability web scanning etc, I noticed 80% of Nigerians computers is vulnerablity to one silly exploits, those who will be free are only those with genuine xp, vista, win7, ubuntu, etc and having the highest possibly updated on their os.

Here is my new post regarding hosting forum.

@ Govnor, Very nice advice to the poster.

@ jmslimx, so by getting 10k-20k for hosting forum is that's all? I think you have to do more research and study far than even getting somebody to customize it for you.

Quote from: lactemps on Today at 07:18:08 PM
Spend 2 weeks with SMF or phpbb3 forums and you will have an idea of what you want. Also these are OPEN Source programs thats are completely free and have a very big community that are ready to help in case of any queries.

See, I still wonder no body take time to really explained what difficulties involved in developing and hosting a real forum that will get big hits like nairaland.

Let's start with looking at some claims by http://www.websiteoutlook

nairaland.com has 1970 traffic rank in world by alexa. nairaland.com is getting 558375 pageviews per day and making USD 1677.36 daily. nairaland.com has 596546 (at the time am writing this reply) backlinks according to yahoo and listed in Dmoz directory. nairaland.com is hosted in United States at Limestone Networks data center. nairaland.com is most populer in NIGERIA. Estimated worth of nairaland.com is USD 1.22 Million according to websiteoutlook Source:http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.nairaland.com

What I want to point out here is that Seun is definately spending on bandwidth and hosting to his hosting provider (Limestone), but off course he is making big payback from Google Adsense.

Now, what matters in hosting such a forum is hosting providers and bandwidth capacity, ability to co-ordinate and make good contribution to the forum, finding and outsourcing good and trusted moderators etc.One more way to understand this very well is to understand bandwidth for hosting sites, traffics etc.

BandWidth Explained

Most hosting companies offer a variety of bandwidth options in their plans. So exactly what is bandwidth as it relates to web hosting? Put simply, bandwidth is the amount of traffic that is allowed to occur between your web site and the rest
of the internet. The amount of bandwidth a hosting company can provide is determined by their network connections, both internal to their data center and external to the public internet.

Network Connectivity

The internet, in the most simplest of terms, is a group of millions of computers connected by networks. These connections within the internet can be large or small depending upon the cabling and equipment that is used at a particular
internet location. It is the size of each network connection that determines how much bandwidth is available. For example, if you use a DSL connection to connect to the internet, you have 1.54 Mega bits (Mb) of bandwidth. Bandwidth
therefore is measured in bits (a single 0 or 1). Bits are grouped in bytes which form words, text, and other information that is transferred between your computer and the internet.

If you have a DSL connection to the internet, you have dedicated bandwidth between your computer and your internet provider. But your internet provider may have thousands of DSL connections to their location. All of these connection aggregate at your internet provider who then has their own dedicated connection to the internet (or multiple connections) which is much larger than your single connection. They must have enough bandwidth to serve your computing needs as well as all of their other customers. So while you have a 1.54Mb connection to your internet provider, your internet provider may have a 255Mb connection to the internet so it can accommodate your needs and up to 166 other users (255/1.54).

Traffic

A very simple analogy to use to understand bandwidth and traffic is to think of highways and cars. Bandwidth is the number of lanes on the highway and traffic is the number of cars on the highway. If you are the only car on a highway, you can travel very quickly. If you are stuck in the middle of rush hour, you may travel very slowly since all of the lanes are being used up.

Traffic is simply the number of bits that are transferred on network connections. It is easiest to understand traffic using examples. One Gigabyte is 2 to the 30th power (1,073,741,824) bytes. One gigabyte is equal to 1,024 megabytes. To put
this in perspective, it takes one byte to store one character. Imagine 100 file cabinets in a building, each of these cabinets holds 1000 folders. Each folder has 100 papers. Each paper contains 100 characters - A GB is all the characters in the building. An MP3 song is about 4MB, the same song in wav format is about 40MB, a full length movie can be 800MB to 1000MB (1000MB = 1GB). If you were to transfer this MP3 song from a web site to your computer, you would create 4MB of traffic between the web site you are downloading from and your computer. Depending upon the network connection between the web site
and the internet, the transfer may occur very quickly, or it could take time if other people are also downloading files at the same time. If, for example, the web site you download from has a 10MB connection to the internet, and you are
the only person accessing that web site to download your MP3, your 4MB file will be the only traffic on that web site. However, if three people are all downloading that same MP at the same time, 12MB (3 x 4MB) of traffic has
been created. Because in this example, the host only has 10MB of bandwidth, someone will have to wait. The network equipment at the hosting company will cycle through each person downloading the file and transfer a small portion at a
time so each person's file transfer can take place, but the transfer for everyone downloading the file will be slower. If 100 people all came to the site and downloaded the MP3 at the same time, the transfers would be extremely slow. If
the host wanted to decrease the time it took to download files simultaneously, it could increase the bandwidth of their internet connection (at a cost due to upgrading equipment).

Hosting Bandwidth

In the example above, we discussed traffic in terms of downloading an MP3 file.However, each time you visit a web site, you are creating traffic, because in order to view that web page on your computer, the web page is first downloaded
to your computer (between the web site and you) which is then displayed using your browser software (Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc.) . The page itself is simply a file that creates traffic just like the MP3 file in the example above
(however, a web page is usually much smaller than a music file). A web page may be very small or large depending upon the amount of text and the number and quality of images integrated within the web page. For example, the home page for CNN.com is about 200KB (200 Kilobytes = 200,000 bytes = 1,600,000 bits). This is typically large for a web page. In comparison, Yahoo's
home page is about 70KB.

How Much Bandwidth Is Enough?

It depends (don't you hate that answer). But in truth, it does. Since bandwidth is a significant determinant of hosting plan prices, you should take time to determine just how much is right for you. Almost all hosting plans have bandwidth
requirements measured in months, so you need to estimate the amount of bandwidth that will be required by your site on a monthly basis If you do not intend to provide file download capability from your site, the formula for calculating bandwidth is fairly straightforward: Average Daily Visitors x Average Page Views x Average Page Size x 31 x Fudge Factor
If you intend to allow people to download files from your site, your bandwidth calculation should be:

[(Average Daily Visitors x Average Page Views x Average Page Size) + (Average Daily File Downloads x Average File Size)] x 31 x Fudge Factor Let us examine each item in the formula: Average Daily Visitors - The number of people you expect to visit your site, on average, each day. Depending upon how you market your site, this number could be from 1 to 1,000,000.
Average Page Views - On average, the number of web pages you expect a person to view. If you have 50 web pages in your web site, an average person may only view 5 of those pages each time they visit. Average Page Size - The average size of your web pages, in Kilobytes (KB). If you have already designed your site, you can calculate this directly.

Average Daily File Downloads - The number of downloads you expect to occur on your site. This is a function of the numbers of visitors and how many times a visitor downloads a file, on average, each day. Average File Size - Average file size of files that are downloadable from your site. Similar to your web pages, if you already know which files can be downloaded, you can calculate this directly. Fudge Factor - A number greater than 1. Using 1.5 would be safe, which assumes that your estimate is off by 50%. However, if you were very unsure, you could use 2 or 3 to ensure that your bandwidth requirements are more than met. Usually, hosting plans offer bandwidth in terms of Gigabytes (GB) per month. This is why our formula takes daily averages and multiplies them by 31.

Summary

Most personal or small business sites will not need more than 1GB of bandwidth per month. If you have a web site that is composed of static web pages and you expect little traffic to your site on a daily basis, go with a low bandwidth plan. If
you go over the amount of bandwidth allocated in your plan, your hosting company could charge you over usage fees, so if you think the traffic to your site will be significant, you may want to go through the calculations above to estimate the amount of bandwidth required in a hosting plan.

I hope the above on Bandwidth explanation will help not only you, but anybody interested in big time forum business that will attrack big hits from users to general cash for Adsense.

Note: Am not the original author of the bandwidth explanation.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by suxes2005(m): 10:25am On Oct 27, 2010
^^^^

Tnx for your post. Nice one
I'm gonna study it very well

wat i can still deduct here is that
it is good to use unltd bandwidth
with a forum,

My question still remains do i need
to higher someone to buld a database
for me as i am using smf?

SHALOM
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Slyr0x: 11:42am On Oct 27, 2010
drjayzee:

@ Slyr0x, I will contact her next when I banned again, oh my man, I have jist with you but I will communicate with you later on it, seem we have something in common, ; Ethical hacking, BackTrack4, free vulnerability web scanning etc, I noticed 80% of Nigerians computers is vulnerablity to one silly exploits, those who will be free are only those with genuine xp, vista, win7, ubuntu, etc and having the highest possibly updated on their os.

Aiite bro. My email addy -> c2x5cm94MkBnbWFpbC5jb20=

iDon't want some customized Mail harvesters grabbing my mail addy. wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Solve Adsense Showing 403 Forbidden Error {steps} / 12 Things You Need To Know Before You Even Start A Blog / Hello ...I Am Offering Free Logo Design Services For Websites,blogs And Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.