Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,498 members, 7,816,188 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' (7563 Views)

Ex-Nigerian Ambassador To The UK Dr. Dalhatu Tafida Quits PDP - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Sacks Tafida, Bianca, Maduekwe, Farounbi, Others / 500 Nigerians In Uk Prisons – Tafida (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by okeyxyz(m): 4:46pm On Oct 23, 2010
duduspace:

The Ambassador is only being silly, there is nothing offensive or derogatory about that statement at all. Would the american ambassador be making as much noise if he the statement was “I had an offer like that from America once and funnily enough it didn't transpire.”? It is a fact that most of such crimes are traced to Nigeria but he in no way suggested all Nigerians partake in it.
The government should clamp down on internet crime and fraud in Nigeria and then people will take the loud mouthed ambassador serious as things are now, he is just making noise.
thank u jo.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by bigfat: 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2010
wow
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by hackney(m): 5:31pm On Oct 23, 2010
Tafida will make better use of his time if he concentrates on making Nigerian Visas cheaper.
He can also bolster the support his embassy gives to nigerians who happen to need help.

the alan sugar talk should not concern him that much as it is true.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by expert1(m): 5:43pm On Oct 23, 2010
Am Proud to be a 9ja!!!

The yoboros are fools!!!

Na only dense (zombie) fit fall Mugun!!
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by OmoTier1(m): 6:07pm On Oct 23, 2010
hackney:

Tafida will make better use of his time if he concentrates on making Nigerian Visas cheaper.
He can also bolster the support his embassy gives to nigerians who happen to need help.

the alan sugar talk should not concern him that much as it is true.

Funny you actally made those statements! What do you understand to be the job of an Ambassador? Dr. Tafida did the right thing and I am sure by now Alan Sugar would have gotten some lines of communication from the British Govt!

Was it not similar statement made by a stupid broadcaster in New Zealand that resulted n a diplomatic row which eventually led to New Zealand govt apologizing to the India Govt? The days when an individual can make sweeping and generalizing statement about any country is coming to an end. FYI, statements like the ones made by Alan Sugar may easily cost UK companies lucrative contracts in Nigeria with the effects of such contract loss on UK citizens.- I know some will doubt if this can ever hapen in Nigeria but I have it on good authority on the number of spanish firms who paid the price for the mistreatment and sudden death of a Nigerian in the hands of the spanish immigration agency.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by reindeer: 6:39pm On Oct 23, 2010
I am really pleased with most comments.
Until we get our acts right, demanding any form of respect will only make us look like clowns,like children.
Im not sure mexico will get angry at being called a den of drug lords cos fact is,thats exactly what the country is and they have even asked for help in fighting the crime.
All we do is moan and do nothing and complain about being derided, e just dey start.
The Tafida guy is just a person!He must have seen this as an opportunity to be seen and heard again.
Respect is not demanded, it is earned.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by BlueMagic2(m): 6:45pm On Oct 23, 2010
First & foremost who d Bleep is his "Excellency" Please the guy is jst a bleeping high commissioner of Nigeria to the uk compared to a knight, so who should be his Excellency. It is becos of sycophancy names like these His Excellency, Honorable, His Highness etc. This is why these fcukin rogues rob us blind & the citizens still kiss their arsess by callin them such exalted names which they dont deserve. We as a people need to stop glorifyin these bastards. If it wasnt 4 the bleeped up leaders & rulers of the country who have messed up & dented the image of the country, people like Sir Alan Sugar wont insult Nigeria cos he is stating the obvious. So instead of feeling hurt by the insult we need to go clean up our image & take care of our shit b4 takin offence in such insults cos we deserve it & MORE, & please please & pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease STOP CALLING THESE MO'FUCKERING LEADERS & RULERS THESE GLORIFIED NAMES. Imagine a thief robbing u blind & u still call him "HIS EXCELLENCY" We need 2 start learning, Bulshit!!!!!!!!!! angry angry
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by BlueMagic2(m): 6:54pm On Oct 23, 2010
I bet this Tafida guy doesn't really give a rat's arse about Nigeria, rather he jst siezed an opportunity to have his voice heard & act like he is doing a good job. I bet if u go to his embassy in the uk, it is as hopeless & miserable as all other Nigerian embassies world wide. Y'all need to go to any of the Nigerian embassies abroad it is a reflection of how messed up Nigeria is. Dr. Tafida "Charity begins @ home" mo'bleeper,
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 23, 2010
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 23, 2010
[b][b]Many Nigerians who hasnt made 1m in their lives, havent travelled outside the country and have not been properly schooled feel happy when a foreigner insult our country, they even love foreigners more than their compatriots. If you are one of those people, God has purnished you, you wont make it.[/b][/b]
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by frgy1: 7:53pm On Oct 23, 2010
so because we have serious problems internaly, we should sit back and enjoy any and every insult hauled at us? Even those who are responsible for our image abroad (the ambassadors) should be like "dats how it is back home, they are so right" and do nothing? Y una dey blame d guy 4 doing hin job nahin I no understand
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by becomrich13: 8:25pm On Oct 23, 2010
what Sir Alan Sugar is saying is we need to be consistent. it was not abusive to nigeria.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by justwise(m): 8:27pm On Oct 23, 2010
LeoMax:

[b][b]Many Nigerians who hasnt made 1m in their lives, havent travelled outside the country and have not been properly schooled feel happy when a foreigner insult our country, they even love foreigners more than their compatriots. [b]If you are one of those people, God has purnished you, you wont make it.[/b][/b][/b]

You are a poor minded fool. The truth is bitter.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by OmoTier1(m): 8:45pm On Oct 23, 2010
Blue Magic:

I bet this Tafida guy doesn't really give a rat's arse about Nigeria, rather he jst siezed an opportunity to have his voice heard & act like he is doing a good job. I bet if u go to his embassy in the uk, it is as hopeless & miserable as all other Nigerian embassies world wide. Y'all need to go to any of the Nigerian embassies abroad it is a reflection of how messed up Nigeria is. Dr. Tafida "Charity begins @ home" mo'bleeper,

I guess you are not really this daft with comments like the one in bold! FYI, Dr. Tafida has transformed the Nigeria embassy in London and I can say without mincing words that the level of professionalism there has improved and in my opinion, He has taken the embassy a step higher than where Kayode left it.To add to what some sensible forumites have said, Should we let a looner tad like Alan Sugar pour insult just because we have internal issues in our family? The answer to that is obviously No! These old rag whites think they can through their mouth about as though they are still in the slave/Master era.

For all I know and can say: the brits can laugh at us for now, but surely, Nigeria will be greater than Britain soonest; just as the chinese/Indians today look at britain as one little rascal that can be spanked at any time, soonest, that is how Britain will be to Nigeria.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 23, 2010
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by justwise(m): 8:49pm On Oct 23, 2010
guddsid:

amen Oh!!! but for now lets start with reasonable "targets" for example in 10 years we should be better than ghana or south africa grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by justwise(m): 8:52pm On Oct 23, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

I guess you are not really this daft with comments like the one in bold! FYI, Dr. Tafida has transformed the Nigeria embassy in London and I can say without mincing words that the level of professionalism there has improved and in my opinion, He has taken the embassy a step higher than where Kayode left it.To add to what some sensible forumites have said, Should we let a looner tad like Alan Sugar pour insult just because we have internal issues in our family? The answer to that is obviously No! These old rag whites think they can through their mouth about as though they are still in the slave/Master era.
For all I know and can say: the brits can laugh at us for now, but surely, Nigeria will be greater than Britain soonest; just as the chinese/Indians today look at britain as one little rascal that can be spanked at any time, soonest, that is how Britain will be to Nigeria.

Yes Nigeria will be gr8 oneday IF we start being honest with ourselves, all these preaching and self pitying will take us no where.

Did you say Indians has made it? Yes in paper i guess. They still collect aid from the UK
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by OmoTier1(m): 8:57pm On Oct 23, 2010
If you think the UK is a saint when it comes to scamming, then go and read reports on the town called "SLOUGH"  near Heathrow in England and if you thinking on this matter is not changed, then come around let me make you a cup of tea grin

How many of you watched the AIT news where the British foriegn minister for Africa affairs and one other white dude asking our VP why Britain has fallen way down the ladder in terms of trades and patternship with Nigeria on so many grounds in the last couple of years? Oh, I thought so they are finally waking up to the reality that we do not need Britain to survive and more so, we have better trading partners in other parts of the world that we can do business with and still develop at the pace we want!

The British govt is crying awolf because they have gotten realiable information that much of the power sector contracts would not be given to british companies and also, their only and last investment in Nigeria, SHELL is gradually being edged out by the govt with Nigerian owned companies making giant strides in the oil business!
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by justwise(m): 9:08pm On Oct 23, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

If you think the UK is a saint when it comes to scamming, then go and read reports on the town called "SLOUGH" near Heathrow in England and if you thinking on this matter is not changed, then come around let me make you a cup of tea ;DHow many of you watched the AIT news where the British foriegn minister for Africa affairs and one other white dude asking our VP why Britain has fallen way down the ladder in terms of trades and patternship with Nigeria on so many grounds in the last couple of years? Oh, I thought so they are finally waking up to the reality that we do not need Britain to survive and more so, we have better trading partners in other parts of the world that we can do business with and still develop at the pace we want!The British govt is crying awolf because they have gotten realiable information that much of the power sector contracts would not be given to british companies and also, their only and last investment in Nigeria, SHELL is gradually being edged out by the govt with Nigerian owned companies making giant strides in the oil business!
Nobody is denying the fact that there is corruption in the UK BUT atleast they are honest about it, pple get arrested and jailed, crime record kept, pple could be held accountable in the UK. Omo_Tier1 can you say the same about Nigeria?
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by anonimi: 9:27pm On Oct 23, 2010
There is an appropriate dictum here:

RESPECT is earned not given
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by OmoTier1(m): 9:42pm On Oct 23, 2010
justwise:

Nobody is denying the fact that there is corruption in the UK BUT atleast they are honest about it, pple get arrested and jailed, crime record kept, pple could be held accountable in the UK. Omo_Tier1 can you say the same about Nigeria?
I hope yo truly bear your name:justwise! Who told you the british are honest about their tinky corruption? or is it the ones they display for the world to see as if they are saints? Answer my question, what happened to the following corruption investigations:

1. The MASSIVE kick backs that were  paid in the sales of arms to Saudi Arabia? Mind these kick backs were collected by top govt officials and govt insiders!

2. The MASSIVE kick back that was paid to govt agents and top officials to win RADAR contracts for BAe Systems in Tanzania? (One of the reasons THALES of France and not THALES of UK was awarded the Total Radar Coverage of Nigeria TRACON project)

3. The MP saga, how many MPs are behind bar as we speak? yes two or three are undergoing trial but if it were in Nigeria, the BBC would run endless 'Special Report' on the subject matter on their new24 channel!
The list goes on and on!

DO not get me wrong, I am not saying it is all well for Nigeria as things are at the moment, but rather I am emphasizing that we should not allow ourselves to be pushed to wall unecessarily and also insulted by nations who have hidden agenda to continue to hold us to ransom for their selfish benefit! I believe every nation on earth has both good and bad people and that ultimately, good will always triumph over evil, therefore, the good people in Nigeria will surely triumph over the evil ones and we just need to keep our focus, and not let some tea drinking waggats dictate to us how we reclaim our  country. This was what the chinese did when they closed their economy to the world and by the time they came out, their were looking spankily clean! Nigeria may not follow that route but surely we need to do something similar and when we comeout, we will outshine the tea drinking nation of nearly 56million lazy glutties
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by OmoTier1(m): 9:46pm On Oct 23, 2010
anonimi:

There is an appropriate dictum here:

RESPECT is earned not given

Tell me which country on earth has earned her respect except by a way of deciet?
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by justwise(m): 10:00pm On Oct 23, 2010
@ Omo_Tier1

I hope u really read my post or you just like hearing or reading ur own post? When it comes to corruption u can not compare the UK to Nigeria.

Every MP that was involved in the claim saga paid back the money and some paid back the money AND retired cos of it. And i never pretended for a moment that there is no corruption in the UK but its not a problem as its in Nigeria.

I don't think u know much about Chinese.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by londoner: 10:00pm On Oct 23, 2010
Just because some criminal Nigerians have damaged the reputation of Nigeria, it doesn't mean those of us out there who are honest and law abiding should accept the taint from the same brush.

Its not about whether 419 emails exist from Nigeria (and other places) we know its fact. Its also fact that Muslim suicide bombers have truck in London and Eastern Europeans are flooding London with human trafficked prostitutes, the point is that even though these things are also fact, Lord Sugar would not make a joking statements about it on prime time TV, with much of the nation watching, because then we would have to think about a probable backlash from viewers and media alike.

If honest Nigerians stood up for ourselves a bit more often, maybe people would think twice about making such statements so readily and more importantly will be aware that non crimninal Nigerians actually do exist.

I'm glad Tafida said something, what is he here for if he cant even open his mouth to defend us here?
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 10:46pm On Oct 23, 2010
reindeer:

I am really pleased with most comments.
[s]Until we get our acts right, demanding any form of respect will only make us look like clowns,like children.[/s]

Im not sure mexico will get angry at being called a den of drug lords cos fact is,thats exactly what the country is and they have even asked for help in fighting the crime.
All we do is moan and do nothing and complain about being derided, e just dey start.
The Tafida guy is just a person!He must have seen this as an opportunity to be seen and heard again.
Respect is not demanded, it is earned.
Does Nigeria owe her sovereignity to british or this guy ? If No,then the bolded part of your post is just a fallacy !
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by reindeer: 10:52pm On Oct 23, 2010
Come on people!
Nobody has said accept any taint on your reputation as a person,it's your country.Fact is not all Muslims are terrorists, but it doesn't stop people getting nervous when they seat next to a bearded person on a plane or people thinking all terrorists are muslims
As a Nigerian in the UK you build your reputation personally!
Because once people know, the assumption is that you MAY be crooked and i'm sure he hasn't said all Nigerians are scammers, he'd be a fool to say that.
I'm sure no one would bat an eyelid if you make reference to Mexico when talking about drugs,so its just something Nigerians are known for right now, that might change in the future, no one knows.
It is plainly burying your head in the sand to think otherwise.For heavens sake even Nigerians like meself have received those poorly scripted scam mails from half educated Nigerians.
The only thing Nigeria can do is to get her acts together.I'm not sure Colombia cried wolf when she was associated with drug lords, now everyone talks about Mexico, cos colombia cleaned up(at least a bit).
There is only one way Nigeria can do this, it is massive investment in education and ensuring a system where hard-work pays and thieves are booed or ignored, not praised and honoured with titles so they can be called excellencies and honourables.
There is no honour when your children have become vagabonds and thieves,and your leaders ask for bribe for votes.
Again i say, respect is earned, not demanded.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by reindeer: 10:54pm On Oct 23, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Does Nigeria owe her sovereignity to british or this guy ? If No,then the bolded part of your post is just a fallacy !

Come one man, we'll only look funny, we should just quietly admit we've failed in that regard and try to clean up
our reputation should speak.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 23, 2010
reindeer:

Come one man, we'll only look funny, we should just quietly admit we've failed in that regard and try to clean up
our reputation should speak.

Nigeria failed ? Is Nigeria the only corrupt country ? How often do you hear of vulgar attacks on western nations by developing countries ? Tell me one country that have truly earned respect ?
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by OmoTier1(m): 11:15pm On Oct 23, 2010
londoner:

Just because some criminal Nigerians have damaged the reputation of Nigeria, it doesn't mean those of us out there who are honest and law abiding should accept the taint from the same brush.

Its not about whether 419 emails exist from Nigeria (and other places) we know its fact. Its also fact that Muslim suicide bombers have truck in London and Eastern Europeans are flooding London with human trafficked love-peddlers, the point is that even though these things are also fact, Lord Sugar would not make a joking statements about it on prime time TV, with much of the nation watching, because then we would have to think about a probable backlash from viewers and media alike.

If honest Nigerians stood up for ourselves a bit more often, maybe people would think twice about making such statements so readily and more importantly will be aware that non crimninal Nigerians actually do exist.
I'm glad Tafida said something, what is he here for if he cant even open his mouth to defend us here?
That statement in bold is amongest the best statements I have read on NL. And tbh, that was just what I did to a silly liverpooldian who had the guts to ask me such silly questions at work and He was surprise I knew so much about the rots in his place of Birth - Liverpool and since that day He had a different view of who a Nigerian is and He started asking questions about the positives of Nigeria and Nigerians which he never knew before.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by cold(m): 11:22pm On Oct 23, 2010
Seriously these brits have no justification to harp on corruption.How many MPs were caught with their hands in the till last year up till early this yr.Almost 3/4s of them were claiming payments for things they didn't purchase or were inflating the bills.And collecting monies for mortgages on houses that had already had their mortgages cleared.
Bloody hypocrites,who turn a blind eye to the rot in their system to pontificate on the rot of others.Utter bollocks!
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by ono(m): 11:23pm On Oct 23, 2010
I'm all for Omo Tier_1 and all those who believe we should not allow other people to wash our dirty linen for us - especailly in the public.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 23, 2010
cold:

Seriously these brits have no justification to harp on corruption.How many MPs were caught with their hands in the till last year up till early this yr.Almost 3/4s of them were claiming payments for things they didn't purchase or were inflating the bills.And collecting monies for mortgages on houses that had already had their mortgages cleared.
Bloody hypocrites,who turn a blind eye to the rot in their system to pontificate on the rot of others.Utter bollocks!

Because they are white,they feel they are more superior to black and say whatever they feel like .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Strong Momentum & Continuous Growth In Economy Further Show Buhari Is Working / Igbo Scare: Southern Cameroon Hate For The Igbo Led To Secession From Nigeria / Magnificent Jails For Corrupt Officials In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.