Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? (9448 Views)

Girls Love Me: But I'm Too Shy To Get a Girlfriend / Why Do People Close Their Eyes When Kissing? / [Kissing] Your Partner Doesn't Know How To Kiss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:15pm On May 24, 2007
I'd be best for you not to continue, again I think it's funny that a place known for open sex in luxury buses is now acting like they are above public kissing

dude give me a break.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by beneli(m): 8:56am On May 25, 2007
Why are Nigerians shy about public kissing?

From the posts so far it appears that a lot of the Nigerians on this forum do kiss publicly whether at home or abroad.
I am aware,though, that many non-Nigerians, whether they be Caucasian, African-origin or Asiatic don't display there affections publicly.

So the question could have been better put as "why are some people shy about public kissing?", that way people would give there own personal reasons and not shoulder the burden of trying to speak for Naija people.

Some Nigerians don't kiss in public for as many reasons as their names are different.
Kissing in public has nothing to do with how liberated you think you have become but more to do with the persons rules for living that have been shaped by upbringing, culture, exposure, education, personal development and so on.

I don't feel comfortable about kissing in public. Period.
Yet i am happily married and have a great everyday romantic experience with my wife. She doesn't need me to display my affections for her in public to let her know how much i love her and appreciate her. She knows that's simply not my way of doing things. When we are alone in the house we know what we do together, whether in the bedroom, the sitting room, the kitchen, the garden, 

And i am not a hypocrite either.

[s]If we want to do everything Oyibo's do, then let our men start kissing men in public, let's start having more transexuals, transvestites, peodophiles, necrophiliacs, ad nauseam, in our society. [/s]

[s]Then we can begin to take our rightful place among the commity of developed nations.[/s] Nonsense!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by superman(m): 10:35am On May 25, 2007
nonesense yall heard me right kissing in public is not nigerian thing!

na waaa ooo

make the talk dey go on then superman will be forced to prove his point
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by Merinoz(m): 1:24pm On May 25, 2007
I think our culture doesn't approve of that.We are not like the whites that are unhindered by any culture. cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by degubi(m): 5:44pm On May 25, 2007
@ThiefofHearts
I'd be best for you not to continue, again I think it's funny that a place known for open sex in luxury buses is now acting like they are above public kissing

I still repeat my question have u seen anyone? Do u have one,two,three experiences where u caught anyone in the act? Whether u accept it or not we are a moral people, with a sound culture and values. We swallow hook,line and sinker everything western. It may work for them but for us it is not our culture. If u want to engage in PDA go ahead but remember do not try it in NAIJA.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ayisha(f): 7:21pm On May 25, 2007
B'cos in Nigeria, as we think (speakn as a chic) na only Ashawo woman dey kiss for public, nand if ur mama hear say u kiss for public u don die be that
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by bam07(m): 7:46pm On May 25, 2007
[color=#000099][/color]Thats a good question to ponder on. Firstly I dont really think Nigerians ae Shy about kissing in the Public. And left for me Kissing in the Public depends on the person you are Kissing and if not the right person then I think is not right. Even other Countries like: United Kingdom, United State of America etc. They dont kiss anyhow in the Public, they do it in a normal way for people to know they are doing it in a right way. To put this in close, I think Nigerians are not shy Kissing in the Public.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by bam07(m): 7:52pm On May 25, 2007
ayisha:

B'because in Nigeria, as we think (speakn as a chic) na only Ashawo woman dey kiss for public, nand if your mama hear say u kiss for public u don die be that
Na true with this wey u talk ayisha,
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by puker(m): 4:54pm On May 26, 2007
Well that you lived in Surulere thousand of years ago do not mean things are not changed. And Surulere is just a fraction of the entity called Nigeria. Therefore there is no way you can equate what happens in Surulere as a yard stick to measure the way poeple live in other part of Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:34pm On May 27, 2007
dude just shut up.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by puker(m): 5:31pm On May 28, 2007
@ThiefOfHeart. I still imagine how you got this name cause i aint gono let you steal my heart.

All the same babe i respect ladies a lot but not when they push poeple around. That is not acceptable. Why don't you just agree that you have a total misconception of the present day Nigeria. And talking bout open sex, Jeeze let me not call you a liar but am yet to find where that is happening in Nigeria. Or wait a minute, i think you been having NY fever.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:15pm On May 28, 2007
Keep on staying in denial shogbo? you want to sit there and lie about all the happenings on luxury buses esp the ones to Abuja and PH abi? Lol continue.

Anyway I have nothing else to say to you. pele.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by puker(m): 2:46pm On May 29, 2007
Thanks girl but there is nothing to lie about. Am just trying to update you thats all. Lemme ask you one thing, do poeple also have sex while traveling between Ph and Lagos or abuja. Pls tell me i love to know. Cause most of the time am on these roots and have never heard bout one. wink
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by dakpoet(m): 6:09pm On May 31, 2007
well its cos of cultural differences that why we dont see thing how the white see's it to be
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:24pm On May 31, 2007
You accepted his religion didnt you?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by SweetT1: 9:31pm On May 31, 2007
@TOH
Wzup? Robber of the heart !
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by spoilt(f): 9:35pm On May 31, 2007
if nigerians can defecate in public in full view of everyone in traffic why should they be shy of kissing in public. i don't get it . 
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by Iman3(m): 9:41pm On May 31, 2007
spoilt:

if nigerians can defecate in public in full view of everyone in traffic why should they be shy of kissing in public. i don't get it . 

Thank you! Someone even leaned on my mum's car urinated on it once. grin

They can expose their phalluses in public but not kiss
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by spoilt(f): 9:51pm On May 31, 2007
for real they piss on your tires while you are in the car then they turn around and play righteous. it beats me hollow! angry
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by oatgold20(f): 4:15pm On Jun 01, 2007
why not?when we take icecream together in the public we share it from each other's mouth and we end up kissing.There was this particular day ,we were eating popcorn and it mistakenly poured into her top,i ate the remaining popcorn by dipping my hand into the opening of her top and picked it one by one ontop of her bra in a romantic way.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by akinstacey(f): 1:31am On Jun 02, 2007
quote]well its because of cultural differences that why we don't see thing how the white see's it to be
shocked

How did this become a 'white' thing??  I'm a proud OYIBO about to marry an incredible Nigerian man.  I don't see this as being a black/white thing, or a Nigerian/American thing.  To me, its an individual thing.  It's your own personal preference.  Plenty of people in the US are against showing public displays of affection.  If a Nigerian decides that public kissing is "morally wrong", that's their decision.  I'd also like to add that in the U.S. we've decided that public urination is "wrong" and doing so will get you arrested and fined.  Some choose to kiss in public, some choose to urinate in public, it's all about choice OOO.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:20am On Jun 02, 2007
awon okunrin naija sha, kilo de pe awon oyibo wowo ni won maa n le kakiri. embarassed
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by akinstacey(f): 3:05am On Jun 02, 2007
How many Nigerian men do you know that run to ugly white women?? I don't know any, including my fiance. Stop hating!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:11am On Jun 02, 2007
it's in the blood grin

good job on the translation, bobo home?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by akinstacey(f): 3:14am On Jun 02, 2007
No. You don't survive the streets of Lagos without learning enough of the language to defend yourself.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by akinstacey(f): 3:16am On Jun 02, 2007
Tho, I never was called 'wowo', I believe O FINE was the phrase I was hearing, E Se.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:19am On Jun 02, 2007
oyibos with money(or assumed to have money) are loved by Nigerians so don't worry as they would say anything  wink

either way I suggest you shine your eyes well before we get another "nigerian man left me after getting papers" thread
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by akinstacey(f): 3:26am On Jun 02, 2007
Na Wa for ursef. Why now? Is this how you view your Nigerian men? They're not all like that. I'm not marrying a Yahoo boy, we didn't meet on the internet. I live in a whole community of Nigerians here in NY and THAT's how I met my man. He's not looking for papers. I'm sorry you feel that way bout your fellow Nigerian brothers.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by iykstein(m): 11:42am On Jun 04, 2007
there has been too much gramma about this, truth is, it is not a "black african" thing, it is not in our character
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by moondust(m): 5:44pm On Jun 05, 2007
but doing unthinkable things in hidden places is our character? what hypocrisy!
It only goes to show how secretive and insincere people can be
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by minniepoe(f): 11:34am On Jun 07, 2007
HMMMMM, the first time i saw people kissing each other on this side of the world i was so shocked and felt very uncomfortable.
you know, people find it so easy to kiss each other any where at any time, long sensual kiss, on the bus, on the train, on the tramp, just anywhere anytime.
i wouldn't mind being pecked, hugged in public but not sensual long kisses. its sends so many different messages to the kids out there in the society.
you guys need to see the way these people go about it.
i dont see myself doing this and i was shocked and uncomfortable this first time i witnessed this because it is not part of our culture. i don't think it has to do with being shy.
after spending about five years here, i still cant do it and don't see myself doing it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by pterygott(f): 12:35pm On Jun 07, 2007
everytime una go dey kissing kissing, wicked kissers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Boyfriend Gives Me Money Based On The Round Of Sex / Alaafin Of Oyo Youngest Wife Thrown Out For Cheating With Popular Musician / Sexy Pics Of Me After A Long Break From Nairaland (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.