Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,911 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace (23325 Views)

What Do You Like About Your Workplace / My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace / Top Ten Office Rules That Will Get You Promoted In Your Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by dadde(m): 6:51pm On Oct 27, 2010
I undestand different people like their jobs for different reasons other than the pay. what do you like about your job and your employer. what motivates you and gives you fulfilment about your job. pls be kind to let it out.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by AjanleKoko: 4:00pm On Oct 29, 2010
I work in telecoms, with a GSM operator.

As per your questions, three things:

1. It's cutting edge, in terms of the technology we're exposed to. Also, the cultural diversity makes the job a lot more fun. Even though you work in Naija, you're exposed to different types of people from all over the world. Some of us even get to work all over the world in global projects, without having to relocate from Naija. The technology we use is universal, based on global standards. We are not doing anything that is not being done in America, and many of our boys actually jump ship to go work in America and fit right in. That is so cool for me.

2. A lot more relaxed than, say, the banking industry. Even the oil majors have some kind of traditional hierarchy, like government. Telecoms has a lot of young dynamic people, all types, smart and not so smart, reserved and lively, etc. I like the environment, the dress culture (always dress down), and the attitude (to a large extent your career depends on you, and what you can achieve). No strictly-1st/2nd upper; anybody can join. Not to forget,  everybody knows we throw the best parries cool cool cool grin grin grin

3. We can easily see the impact of what we do on the larger society, because our business is consumer-facing. Telecoms employs at least a million people directly or indirectly, and has attracted more FDI into this economy than manufacturing or even financial services. Unlike those silly bankers, we reach out to the customer and make them feel some sense of belonging. When they complain, we listen. We also use insights from the market to drive our business. We recognise that we work in a competitive landscape, and everyone is challenged to do his/her bit to get one up over the competition.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by iice(f): 4:38pm On Oct 29, 2010
Erhhh freedom to a certain extent and i'm down smack in the middle of males cheesy
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by Elpieda: 4:49pm On Oct 29, 2010
Am the only woman working with a lot of Men which is so awesome, i dont like working with women, its so relaxed, i dont work on weekends and its so unique, different stuff to do everyday, paid vacations, awesome insurance policy, good pesion package, job security, they wont just fire you under short notice, paid sick days off etc etc
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by debosky(m): 4:49pm On Oct 29, 2010
Free lunch with a wide variety of choices everyday.  grin

Ok seriously - training opportunities, varied tasks from the mundane to the exciting and a good pension (for now at least).
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by Tcrack(m): 4:55pm On Oct 29, 2010
there are girls here, girls there, girls everywhere. am i get to flirt with em all. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by Ninapha(f): 4:57pm On Oct 29, 2010
I love the Challenges as a woman working in a field dominated by men.  I love the challenges and the support from my team.s
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by LongOne1(m): 4:59pm On Oct 29, 2010
Production Engineer responsible for increasing productivity, solving prevailing production problems

1. It's an experience for me to see if its possible to make a lasting difference, as my workplace seems to have been left behind in the 19th century somehow and suffers the ailments of Nigeria i.e. vested interests, selfishness, 'us and them culture', blame culture, procedures that benefit a few at the expense of many e.t.c.

2. A stepping stone just in case all else(1. above) fails
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 29, 2010
WHAT I LIKE MOST:
FORMER WORKPLACE: That sumptuous free lunch; very nice bosses; networking - met many corporate big shots I had been seeing in papers in person within short time;
CURRENT WORKPLACE: Some level of flexibility & relaxed environment; religious freedom & understanding: one of the very few companies in Lagos you can leave your desk and go and pray; prestige & respect - on the knowledge that you work in this coy;

WHAT I DISLIKE MOST
FORMER: Closing late; inability to pray at right times;
CURRENT: No free lunch  angry
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by djojo(m): 5:13pm On Oct 29, 2010
The first thing i like about my working place is my boss, i think he is the best boss i ever work with
2. free to observe five daily prayers as at the exact time,
3, No weekend work, Saturday and Sunday free
4, No women or ladies to distract my attention,
5, free to go on course or school,

what i dislike about it
1, the salary is too small
2, no closing time
3, no leave or allowances
4, late collection of salary
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by vinmol: 5:22pm On Oct 29, 2010
what i like about mine is

Resumption time is 9pm
i get to work with people of all races
my bosses are nice and actually show appreciation by saying thank you every now and then

free easter bonus
free christmas bonus
13th mnth
diwali bonus
recognition gifts
strong respect for your religion
flexible closing time
flexible vacation

WAT I DNT LIKE

u can never head a department as long as u are a Nigerian
lack of trust on Nigerians.
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by peacettw: 5:30pm On Oct 29, 2010
The best thing I like about my work place is not having to work there anymore.
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by Intrepid1(m): 5:35pm On Oct 29, 2010
The best thing I like about my work place is not having to work there anymore.

Very witty.
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by bxcode(m): 5:41pm On Oct 29, 2010
The best thing about mine is that i get to meet a lot of people from diverse races, and not forgeting the huge pay i earn. cool cool
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by tfASH: 5:42pm On Oct 29, 2010
What i like about my job is that it is fulfilling. It is my vision and each time fulfill our purpose i'm always happy.

Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by kashmo: 5:45pm On Oct 29, 2010
My boss, & two colleagues I love killing with wits!
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by Suntemi(m): 5:46pm On Oct 29, 2010
mine is mobile, I can do it on the go. So most of the time I don't need to be physically present. And I have enough time to spend with my baby.
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by thweraja10: 5:49pm On Oct 29, 2010
Mine stress free work in an IT firm from 2pm to 8pm cool
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by DAY13(m): 5:58pm On Oct 29, 2010
Am a Realtor and I,m luvin it cus i believe in it. grin
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by buzugee(m): 6:11pm On Oct 29, 2010
the paycheck
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 29, 2010
[list]
[li]Good pay[/li]
[li]Free meals (once a day if in town and three square out on the fields)[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]Diverse workforce[/li]
[li] Pension[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]Free medicals for self and immediate family[/li]
[li]Paid vacation[/li]
[/list]
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by udeze(m): 6:47pm On Oct 29, 2010
For me it's the freedom and flexibility, my job gives me the freedom to work at my own pace, I run things the way I want. I don't think the paycheck is bad at the moment
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by Odunnu: 7:12pm On Oct 29, 2010
One thing I love about my work place is that we (employees) seem to be of the same age. We are smart,dynamic and a great team. Aside the MD CEO, nobody is over 30yrs and this bring a lot of youthful agility into the environment.
2ndly my boss is very humble for instance,he wont say 'Ade works for me' instead he'l say 'Ade and I work together' such sentences make you happy.
3rdly,even though its just a very young org. we are made comfortable.
I love my workplace
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by opabukun(m): 7:21pm On Oct 29, 2010
they help me fulfill my hobby; TRAVELLING.
and in the process, i have slept in almost all the best hotels in the country.
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by nanidee(f): 7:23pm On Oct 29, 2010
       - I can wear practically anything to work  cheesy cheesy
       - I have a really nice boss
       - there's an opportunity to learn a whole lot.

dislikes - A "bitch" in my office
            - having to do some work not included in my "job description", lol
            - no free lunch  sad
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by Teejayphillip(m): 7:26pm On Oct 29, 2010
1. my work gives me alot of time 2 run oda programmes, I resume 7:30am n close 1:00pm.  Pple dnt even bliv i work sef,

2. I go 4 trainin almost evry month,in which we get certificates based on d courses,
Re: What Is The Best Thing U Like About your Workplace by orbaxy(m): 7:28pm On Oct 29, 2010
I like the paycheck ofcourse.
I like that i meet people, i mean tear rubber professionals.
I like that all my bills are paid by employer
I like that my reports are never wrong grin
I like that am respected
I like that i can terminate my contract anytime, cool

I hate that i work offshore
I hate that i'vent been laid in a loooong time grin
I hate the sea breeze,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Types Of People Who Never Succeed At Work / Plantain Trees Planted At NESTOIL Camp Gate In Bayelsa (Photos) / 50k Monthly Job Or Bolt Driving In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.