Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,265 members, 7,811,749 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:46 PM

C-section Versus Natural Childbirth - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / C-section Versus Natural Childbirth (10548 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria / Your Husband in The Labor Room During Childbirth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 31, 2010
hahahahahahaha!!!!! @siena, I was expecting ur reply infact you fell flat for me, why calling me slowpoke when you know I was only joking and u've been following my posts for you to know am always joking, just that u are a mother I can't say any bad thing to you but wait gave birth to a child that already has a lower teeth, did you carry her for 9 months or 19 months or is your husband's sperm N.P.k fertilizer
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by nike4luv(f): 10:36am On Oct 31, 2010
Please be aware that insultive and derailing comments will not be tolerated on this topic or any other topics. Thank You  smiley
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by nike4luv(f): 10:47am On Oct 31, 2010
Guys i wont have to tell you again! please behave or get out of this thread. smiley
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 31, 2010
nike4luv am not interested in the thread again, am trying to chyk you here or is there any chyking thread
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by semid4lyfe(m): 11:53am On Oct 31, 2010

That practice you will find has been around for ever.
Not for ever but for a very long time.

Lamaze is a flashy name for pre-natal classes offered to women as part of getting them ready for child birth.
Not true

It is a common practice in most western nations.
True and it's practice is on the rise.

I am not sure lamaze is the same as c-section and natural childbirth.
Lamaze is a form of natural childbirth without medical intervention. Read more HERE and HERE
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by ElRazur: 12:12pm On Oct 31, 2010
Semi,

First part is a figure of speech.

I keep telling you, lamaze is nothing but flashy name for pre-natal classes. In here, women are given choices as to which type of birth method suit them. From reading what you posted, it sound like similar process as home birth or water birth. Again, all these method are not same as what the op asked.

For the record, most birth in this day and age requires a medical intervention of some kind. Whether proper or crude. For the record, medical team are always on standby in this part of the world should a woman opt for home birth or water birth.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by ElRazur: 12:26pm On Oct 31, 2010
Just read your Wikipedia link and it is nothing but "aid to birth". So your method speak of breathing techniques and what not. I think if I remember correctly, this method is in the same class as those who use music to aid birth or employ aroma-therapy etc. It is all psychological. Like I said before, most child birth will require medical intervention, be it crude or proper.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by DrKitaun(m): 12:32pm On Oct 31, 2010
dayokanu:

Was this when you became born-again? tongue tongue tongue tongue cos your first child in in final yr in LASU

we be agemates naw, u don forget ?  tongue

unlike ileke-idi wey never grow breasts pple go hala  grin  grin
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by coldhearts(f): 1:14pm On Oct 31, 2010
C-section is most preferred for many reasons, a few are

1. C-section is better because some women tend to have narrow hips/os (especially young or skinny nigerian women);therefore natural delivery becomes difficult. It is difficult because the baby's head can't pass through easily leading to a last minute cut to make the place wider; which can further lead to more complications

a. The risk of the last minute cut from natural delivery can lead to urinary problems and/or excruciating pain during sex in the first few weeks/ months after birth

b. Sex is never thesame after natural delivery cos that area becomes less tight lipsrsealed Basically if you like sex and you want to remain as tight as a teenager, stay clear of natural birth lol wink

2. In case of some Sexually transmitted diseases, the disease is quickly passed on from mother to child during natural birth. With a C-section, the risk of passing it is much more rare since it a quick  "get in and take baby out" process.

3. The baby's head doesn't get squeesh nor does it have to be pulled out with an instrument which sqeeshes it; besides the C-section is a less painful process.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 31, 2010
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by ElRazur: 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2010
coldhearts:

C-section is most preferred for many reasons, a few are

Please tell me this is something you copied from somewhere and pasted here? undecided

1. C-section is better because some women tend to have narrow hips/os (especially young or skinny nigerian women);therefore natural delivery becomes difficult. It is difficult because the baby's head can't pass through easily leading to a last minute cut to make the place wider; which can further lead to more complications

Women tend to have narrow hips? I think you will find that your statement is not always true. Also, women have mechanism in place to allow the head of the baby to come through. From the top of my head, one of them is the soft skull of the baby that moulds (to some extent) to the shape of the pelvic region, so your point is false.

a. The risk of the last minute cut from natural delivery can lead to urinary problems and/or excruciating pain during sex in the first few weeks/ months after birth

Do you mind elaborating on this one please. lipsrsealed

b. Sex is never thesame after natural delivery cos that area becomes less tight lipsrsealed Basically if you like sex and you want to remain as tight as a teenager, stay clear of natural birth lol wink

Not true. Total lies. I am forced to ask you if you've ever had a child before? If you haven't, loads of people here will tell you that your statement is misleading.

2. In case of some Sexually transmitted diseases, the disease is quickly passed on from mother to child during natural birth. With a C-section, the risk of passing it is much more rare since it a quick  "get in and take baby out" process.

Again, this is misleading, have you never heard of the umbilical cord? Almost anything from the mum can pass through to the baby.

3. The baby's head doesn't get squeesh nor does it have to be pulled out with an instrument which sqeeshes it; besides the C-section is a less painful process.

In most cases, a forceps is not needed to help with getting the head out. Most birth goes well without result to such need. Again, your statement is misleading.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by coldhearts(f): 2:33pm On Oct 31, 2010
"Sorry but I don’t agree with most of what you said here. There is no evidence to suggest that lovemaking feels any different after a woman has gone through a natural birth. There are lots of pelvic floor exercises that help to put things back into order".

I don't agree with your opinion either, sex can suck very much after natural birth because of the cut made to expand the v*a*gina during the procedure and many men would often keep quiet about this- agree or not, i could care less. Some women even go through the trouble or resewing the area back together. Now, i'm not saying this is the norm.

"Who says natural births are more painful than sections? I suggest you give yourself a deep 6 inch cut in your pelvic region and see whether you feel pain. Remember you are cutting through skin, fat, muscle and into the uterus. You have to heal through layers and layers we are not talking about a superficial cut you get when shaving with a razor".

You are either in severe denial here or misinformed, i rest my case. there is anesthetics for pain you know shocked plus it's a small incision when done right; you can barely notice it around the bikini line after it has healed up.

"Re the sex transmitted diseases; yes a CS is a safer alternative to a natural delivery but what is the percentage of women who actually fall into this category?"

Glad you are at least aware of this , perhaps you can go ahead and do a report on this or better yet just google it . A huge percentage of women worldwide have STD's and i'm sure nigerian women are not excluded wink

"Not all natural deliveries require forceps or clamps or even tears or cuts and in actual fact the passage of the head of the baby through the birth canal actually helps shape the head".

[b][/b]Agreed

Natural childbirth is one of the things that mother nature intended and in my opinion only in medical emergencies or for other medical reasons should C/S be opted for.
[b][/b]I guess you are much in tuned with that mysterious mother nature, how dare humans go and make alternative choices like the C-section
Going through a major operation no be beans anywhere in the world.
[b][/b]Again how dare humans, now do us all a favor and stop the fear mongering,  there's pros and cons to everything and same goes for natural birth and C-section.  My debating this with you doesn't change the fact that women with narrow hips/ those with std or even normal women should prepare themselves mentally for a C-section when pregnant cos you never know.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 31, 2010
Coldhearts, are you male or female?
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by coldhearts(f): 2:51pm On Oct 31, 2010
rokiatu:

Coldhearts, are you male or female?
cute female tongue why? should it really matter but then agian this is nl wink
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 31, 2010
I didn't ask whether you are an ugly female or a cute female. tongue Anyway just shocked at your replies.

Are you a nurse? or a midwifery? How did you come come to such a ridiculous conclusion that all females get cut doing natural birth?
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 31, 2010
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by ElRazur: 3:01pm On Oct 31, 2010
chaircover:

coldheart, I am sorry to say but you are misinformed. However if and when you get the t-shirt come back and talk to us.

BTW there is nothing an anesthetic can do regarding pain in the weeks post op; its not as if you are going to have an epidural stuck to your back everyday for 3 weeks  . . . . . .and oh Yes strong pain killers do have side efects and are probably out of bounds for mothers who choose to bre.ast feed their babies anyway.

. . . .and I'm glad you used the phrase healed up! before "healed up" happens nko?

Yes C/S is the safest method for some medical conditions & emergencies but not for some of the reasons you state.

BTW what medical experience do you have & lets take it from there?

I find her arguments very weak and I very much doubt she's got a solid ground in what she is saying to be honest.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 31, 2010
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth

It's the easiest one I'll choose o. Seems natural is winning. cheesy
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by coldhearts(f): 3:09pm On Oct 31, 2010
rokiatu:

I didn't ask whether you are an ugly female or a cute female. tongue Anyway just shocked at your replies.

Are you a nurse? or a midwifery? How did you come come to such a ridiculous conclusion that all females get cut doing natural birth?

What grin, you can't stand the fact that i'm a cute girl tongue, that's ok lol grin
I didn't say all women get cut, in fact i remember saying that it is not the norm meaning that it doesn't always happen. Now given the probability that it does happen, it might be best to opt out for CS lol if one had that choice and that's not the only reason for CS. Let's not make this into a personal conversation, let's simply treat it as an opinion grin
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 31, 2010
coldhearts:

What grin, you can't stand the fact that i'm a cute girl tongue, that's ok lol grin
I
hahahahahaaaaaa very funny. I like your sense of humor keep at it grin grin
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by coldhearts(f): 3:14pm On Oct 31, 2010
stillwater:

It's the easiest one I'll choose o. Seems natural is winning. cheesy

No they're not winning, i'm just outnumbered here that's all, plus i have limited time, i will reply as many as i can, you  just wait  wink
keep up with the scores grin

ps rokiatu, thanks, you have a wonderful sense of humor too cheesy
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 3:19pm On Oct 31, 2010
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by coldhearts(f): 3:32pm On Oct 31, 2010
chaircover:

coldheart, I am sorry to say but you are misinformed. However if and when you get the t-shirt come back and talk to us.

BTW there is nothing an anesthetic can do regarding pain in the weeks post op; its not as if you are going to have an epidural stuck to your back everyday for 3 weeks  . . . . . .and oh Yes strong pain killers do have side efects and are probably out of bounds for mothers who choose to bre.ast feed their babies anyway.

. . . .and I'm glad you used the phrase healed up! before "healed up" happens nko?

Yes C/S is the safest method for some medical conditions & emergencies but not for some of the reasons you state.

BTW what medical experience do you have & lets take it from there?

My reaction to your first statement  shocked shocked shocked you're kidding me right

You are starting to make this too personal, why don't we treat it as an opinion on Nl. In the mean time, read up on CS, also it heals up in 4 to 8 weeks and like i said earlier, it is barely visible even when you wear bikini's.
Now stop this misinformation/ fear mongering, the pain killers used are relatively safe and does not deter mom from breastfeeding at ALL, it is not out of bounds oooo shocked. For the rest of your question, reread my earlier post.

Now with this, i rest my case as i have seen that you have little idea about what you speak of. have a great day smiley, sorry if i pissed you off though, we can agree to disagree rightsmiley
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by coldhearts(f): 3:58pm On Oct 31, 2010
"Please tell me this is something you copied from somewhere and pasted here? undecided"

No sir, no i did not copy, i'm not a fan of copying things grin

"Women tend to have narrow hips? I think you will find that your statement is not always true. Also, women have mechanism in place to allow the head of the baby to come through. From the top of my head, one of them is the soft skull of the baby that moulds (to some extent) to the shape of the pelvic region, so your point is false".

hmmm, you ommited something at the begining of the sentence, "some women", not "women" ha grin and your point doesn't make mine false tongue. Ok that soft skull is made up of bones with fontanels that haven't fused together yet and we agree that this must pass through the pelvic region but what if it doesn't fit after your idea of mould?, this will lead to a dramatic tear if a cut is not made right away.

"Do you mind elaborating on this one please. lipsrsealed"

use your imagination  wink

"Not true. Total lies. I am forced to ask you if you've ever had a child before? If you haven't, loads of people here will tell you that your statement is misleading.
Again, this is misleading, have you never heard of the umbilical cord? Almost anything from the mum can pass through to the baby"

Nutrients passes through the umbilical cord but  if mom has chlamydia or herpes simplex 2, it  can lead to premature rupture of membranes in other words water break. In which case the baby might not be infected until it passes through the v*a*ginal canal, this can lead to chlamydia trachomatis, neonatal eye infection and so on. Now don't get me started on HIV and how Csection can reduce the risk of vertical transmission from mother to child.

"In most cases, a forceps is not needed to help with getting the head out. Most birth goes well without result to such need. Again, your statement is misleading."

No yours is misleading, it's More like some birth do and some birth's don't wink .
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by jimrite: 4:00pm On Oct 31, 2010
I have done CS twice, can't really say much about natural birth.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 31, 2010
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 31, 2010
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Tolulop001(f): 4:43pm On Oct 31, 2010
this is a very good topic and i may be doing some derailing here ma bad

im a doctor and ive seen childbirth both ways LIVE and mehn! that natural birth is extremely scary undecided

CS looks like an easy way out.

plus for most ladies that have natural they have to get a really nasty cut down there

ive sewn up a couple and generally it doesnt look like it can ever be the same

so erm . . .does it ever go back to being the same after the nasty cut?

real answers pls this could be life changing for me lol
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by madamL(f): 4:46pm On Oct 31, 2010
I have had three kids all by the 'natural' method and I have seen those who gave birth by C-section. Some of the things being written here qualify as 'rumours' and things we read in textbooks which are not always very true.

First, that cut given during birth to widen the passage, known as episiotomy heals very fast if you follow doctor's instructions and not old wives' tales on how to handle it. It does not cause any pain during intimacy after less than two weeks.

The passage may widen a little but narrows after some exercises. I hope no one thinks birth leaves a passage as wide as a baby's head; it is not usually a big deal and with a good active life it narrows such that you will still need to push vigourously during the next birth.

Talking about c-section due to narrow hips is a new thing caused by impatience on the part of medical personnel and women. I was told that the first time and ten minutes later my dear daughter arrived. I reasoned that at my age and state of health and all that it didn't make sense. I was really very slim then but what did they expect of a relatively young girl?

After a natural birth, one can relax and start enjoying and exercising and doing all those things that bring the body to normal, that is not always so after CS.

Things are really passed on from mother to child but in most case not very serious things; just some harmless thrush-like infections in the mouth from candida that clear a few days with mild antibiotics.

Natural birth is scary, true!!!. I once mistakenly brought up my head to look at the last delivery and I nearly passed out. I threw my head back down and got on with the biz of pushing. I don't know how childbirth happens that peacefully but I put it down to God and nature at work.

I never went through c-section but it often sounds nice skipping all that pain of labour and the 'pushing'. Too late though, I am through with that aspect of life but it is something I believe should not scare anyone. It is equally natural in my opinion and an option people must stop fearing.

1 Like

Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by larimo(m): 4:50pm On Oct 31, 2010
As long as there's no medical complication/issue, I will never opt for a CS.

CS has long term issues. Let's remember that God's method is the natural one and the perfect one wink
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by coldhearts(f): 4:55pm On Oct 31, 2010
Tolulop001:

this is a very good topic and i may be doing some derailing here ma bad

im a doctor and ive seen childbirth both ways LIVE and mehn! that natural birth is extremely scary undecided

CS looks like an easy way out.

plus for most ladies that have natural they have to get a really nasty cut down there

ive sewn up a couple and generally it doesnt look like it can ever be the same

so erm . . .does it ever go back to being the same after the nasty cut?

real answers pls this could be life changing for me lol

episiotomy procedure  is nasty lol, However,  they can actually sew it back lol, now i don't know if it's thesame lol but it's probably close enough i guess grin

p.s  madam L the cut is called episiotomy not epidural. epidural is the drug injection in the back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When Your Wife Lied To You About Her Salary / "Who Should Relocate After Marriage If The Wife Earns More " - See Reply / Does Regular Sex Make A Woman Fat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.