Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,312 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

C-section Versus Natural Childbirth - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / C-section Versus Natural Childbirth (10545 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria / Your Husband in The Labor Room During Childbirth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by oge4real(f): 12:26am On Nov 03, 2010
Natural.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Ndipe(m): 3:41am On Nov 03, 2010
akossyy:

our foremothers had naturalbirth and they liveth longer, i dont ever pray to go throught any artifical thing becos i was naturally made above,

I wonder how they coped with the pain with no anesthesia to lessen the pain. Plus having so many children at that time. Goodness! But there is a documented history of a successful ceserean operation in Africa. The webpage is a bit graphic, hence my reluctance to cite it.

"Further detail from the source page: "While Barry applied Western surgical techniques, nineteenth-century travelers in Africa reported instances of indigenous people successfully carrying out the procedure with their own medical practices. In 1879, for example, one British traveller, R.W. Felkin, witnessed cesarean section performed by Ugandans. The healer used banana wine to semi-intoxicate the woman and to cleanse his hands and her abdomen prior to surgery. He used a midline incision and applied cautery to minimize hemorrhaging. He massaged the uterus to make it contract but did not suture it; the abdominal wound was pinned with iron needles and dressed with a paste prepared from roots. The patient recovered well, and Felkin concluded that this technique was well-developed and had clearly been employed for a long time. Similar reports come from Rwanda, where botanical preparations were also used to anesthetize the patient and promote wound healing."
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by tunde121oke: 8:34pm On Nov 03, 2010
the good is always better
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by passion007: 12:25am On Nov 05, 2010
The sad truth is that even the educated Nigerian woman is scared stiff of CS. She thinks there's something immediately ominous about it and feels subnormal or even inferior to other women who deliver the 'natural' way. They wouldn't opt for a CS except there is a medically compelling reason to. In most cases, medically compelling often involves possible cases of fetal demise, and it is sad that sometimes they care less of themselves and are only bothered about what "THEY WILL SAY".
These events happen everyday with infuriating routine at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital where I am a final year med student.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Ejadamen(f): 8:18pm On Nov 06, 2010
I vote natural birth,hope I can have one undecided
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Blazay(m): 5:17am On Nov 08, 2010
Definitely natural.
You can't beat the real thing.
Faster recovery time.

Less time to wait for the healing process from impatient guys like myself who need it every night.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Seun(m): 5:20am On Nov 08, 2010
Less time to wait for the healing process from impatient guys like myself who need it every night.
Yes, but doesn't it affect the quality of the 'it' experience negatively?
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by Blazay(m): 5:24am On Nov 08, 2010
Seun:

Yes, but doesn't it affect the quality of the 'it' experience negatively?

For the woman maybe. Not the man.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by ceasyc(f): 12:42pm On Nov 08, 2010
c-sec takes time to heal = tear ya stomach n all. *cringes*. u will have a big stomach 4 a while after c-sec cos u cant tie it/wear girdle in order 4 it to go down or do stomach exercises.

anyhoo some ppl cant deliver naturally no matter how hard dey try, others just choose d c sec even tho dey can give birth naturally. some ppl take 4ever to give birth naturally = gosh d pain 4 hours n days but some just takes a few minutes n voila baby is out = bitter SWEET

NATURAL all da way!
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by cnnnigeria: 5:50pm On Nov 08, 2010
Natural birth is the best and that is my portion.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by jamace(m): 11:41am On Nov 09, 2010
Hmmnn. What a question? As if the question was specifically meant for me and my wife. grin Well, lets give it up for the natural way. However, ours was not natural.

Permit me to narrate the story of ours. I still recall with fear how my wife shouted, cried and particularly called on me to assist her during her labour. Men!, then it was not a joking matter for me. I was just parading the corridor of the hospital like a soldier on sentry while she hollered. grin grin Many thoughts were running riot in my mind, like "If she dies now, where am I going to start from? Will I find another lady as dear to my heart like her again" grin grin .

After unseccessful efforts to give birth naturally, the doc called me and told me of the C-S option. I almost sweated in the cold hammatan weather. I thought to myself, "You mean they will tear her tommy?". grin grin The fear of losing her and the consequences came upon me again. I did not know when I started reciting Psalm 22, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me, ?" grin grin. To cut the story short, the C-S was done successfully.

The second and third pregnancies had the same problems and ended in C-S. But Glory be to God, the 3 kids are hale and hearty.

Let me tell you a bit about the third C-S. One interesting aspect about the third C-S was that I voluntarily requested to be allowed into the theatre to be with my wife, and the doc gladly accepted. It was real fun. I could recall how I was dressed in that their theatre wears, to the extend that some of the nurses could no longer recognise me. My wife and I had great support from one another as I continuously reassured her that all was well. I held her hand and we were discussing while the operation lasted. She was asking me questions like "Have they brought out the baby? What sex is it? Is he handsome?" grin grin. The doc and his operation team were very happy with my composure and the way I comforted my wife during the operation.

Very interesting True Life Story, isn't it? grin grin
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by iaabc(f): 2:14pm On Nov 09, 2010
passion007:

The sad truth is that even the educated Nigerian woman is scared stiff of CS. She thinks there's something immediately ominous about it and feels subnormal or even inferior to other women who deliver the 'natural' way. They wouldn't opt for a CS except there is a medically compelling reason to. In most cases, medically compelling often involves possible cases of fetal demise, and it is sad that sometimes they care less of themselves and are only bothered about what "THEY WILL SAY".
These events happen everyday with infuriating routine at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital where I am a final year med student.

Thats because there's something ominous about slicing anyone open.

Had my babies naturally but any way that will keep the woman and baby alive, is what I opt for.
Re: C-section Versus Natural Childbirth by passion007: 9:49am On Feb 28, 2011
iaabc:

Thats because there's something ominous about slicing anyone open.

Had my babies naturally but any way that will keep the woman and baby alive, is what I opt for.
Sure, natural delivery is the better and preferred by most women, and CS ought not even to replace that. But a growing number of women are beginning to understand and accept CS. If it's about the scar, the new thing is called Pfannesteil which means the scar is transverse on the fold of the abdomen so no one ever will know you'e had CS. Apart from these elective CS cases, there are those that come on emergency where the mother doesn't really have a choice and a CS must be done.
However, there is the infuriating case where you tell the woman that the baby is in transverse lie (not a good position for delivery) and cannot be delivered vaginally, so you suggest a planned Caesarean. The woman thanks you very much for the advice , and that's the last time you see her. When she goes into labour, she tries a midwife probably also propelled by Pastors who assure her she will 'deliver like Hebrew women'. However, that is rarely the case. Often we meet these women in the Emergency room having had obstructed  labor for many hours--sometimes even with fetal death.
In my opinion, Nigerian women should learn to trust their Obstetricians or Gynecolgists--He always knows better!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

After 21 Years,his Wife Made Him Take Out Another Woman. / "Who Should Relocate After Marriage If The Wife Earns More " - See Reply / When Your Wife Lied To You About Her Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.