Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,108 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) (4284 Views)

GUARDIAN Newspaper Apologises For Publishing False Pics Of Buhari's Interview / President Jonathan To Expose Obasanjo's Personal Demands - Guardian Newspaper / WAEC Posts Irrelevant Advertorial On Buhari's Certificate In Guardian Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Onlytruth(m): 4:42am On Oct 30, 2010
[size=16pt]Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohaneze [/size]

THE President-General of the apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo Ambassador .Ralph Uwechue yesterday offered insight into why the group declared support for President Goodluck Jonathan’s election next year.
Uwechue said it took the organization five and half months of quiet consultations with various Igbo groups including churches, before they arrived at their position of supporting Jonathan,  made public recently.

“Towards the end of our consultation, certain senior Igbo people were invited to Enugu and they were hosted by K.U. Kalu. We all discussed the matter, and they also gave their position very clearly. The consultation was climaxed with the traditional rulers. The executive of Ohanaeze Ndigbo led by me, and some other Igbo leaders, including former Senate President, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim and Professor Anya O. Anya spent two days in Abakiliki, that was on the October 13 and 14, consulting with the traditional rulers from Southeast zone.

The first day we met with their caucus, the next day we met with their General Assembly, the two meetings were chaired by His Royal Highness Eze Cletus Ilomuanya, who is the chairman of the Southeast Traditional Council. Anyim and Anya actually addressed the traditional rulers and explained to them the outcome of our consultations with other Igbo groups, and where we are going, the traditional rulers said that they supported our position and asked us to go ahead,” Uwechue said.

He said those who had been attacking the position taken had not been able to pick one hole in what they said.
Uwechue said: “Those who have decided to attack and insult my person on the pages of newspapers are not facing the reality. They are distorting facts and I have pity for them. Some people are saying that they were not consulted, and I ask, those who signed an agreement with some Northerners that Ndigbo should support them in 2011, so that in 2015 they will support Igbo Presidency did they consult Ohanaeze or the governors of the Southeast?”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27511:why-we-endorsed-jonathan-by-ohaneze&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Onlytruth(m): 4:44am On Oct 30, 2010
If the above is not consultation I wonder what is. undecided
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Nobody: 6:02am On Oct 30, 2010
how many Ghana-must-go bags exchanged hands before that endorsement?
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by chyz(m): 6:22am On Oct 30, 2010
MrPrsdent:

how many Ghana-must-go bags exchanged hands before that endorsement?

watch your mouth.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by MetalGong4: 6:26am On Oct 30, 2010
Uwaechue and his Ohaneze leadership are just wasting their time. . . . Igbos would commit a political suicide by supporting Jonathan's ill concieved presidential ambition.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by chyz(m): 6:38am On Oct 30, 2010
MetalGong4:

Uwaechue and his Ohaneze leadership are just wasting their time. . . . Igbos would commit a political suicide by supporting Jonathan's ill concieved presidential ambition.

Who do you suggest we should support then?
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by revolt(m): 6:50am On Oct 30, 2010
Let's support zoning. It will Guarantee our political relevance. Gej will only favo
ur s.s. When he finishes what happens to the east. Since its a known fact that the typical s.s man would rather vote a megida than vote a Daniel with igbo origin. Ohanaeze will lead us to political suicide.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by chyz(m): 6:53am On Oct 30, 2010
revolt:

Let's support zoning. It will Guarantee our political relevance. Gej will only favo
your s.s. When he finishes what happens to the east. Since its a known fact that the typical s.s man would rather vote a megida than vote a Daniel with igbo origin. Ohanaeze will lead us to political suicide.

I hear your but they northerners are not living by the zoning code so what is there to abide by? They are the ones who made it that we are seen as the 3rd largest tribe in the country when actually we are the 1st. How can you trust a people who fail time after time to be selfless?
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by vigasimple(m): 7:22am On Oct 30, 2010
chyz:

I hear your but they northerners are not living by the zoning code so what is there to abide by? They are the ones who made it that we are seen as the 3rd largest tribe in the country when actually we are the 1st. How can you trust a people who fail time after time to be selfless?

GBAM.

IBB and ATIKU of this world are trying to thinker with Igbo's emotion just for election, they will never fulfil their promises or are able to fulfil it. IBB will never hand over power to anyone unless forced. remember june 12, 1993

If IBB want Igbo Presidency why not now, why 2015. we know GEJ antecedent. He has confidence in IGbo, has appointed for the first time since the end of the civil war an Igbo as the chief of army staff. IBB has always play the tribalism card. For now the closest Igbo will get to Presidency is GEJ and if he is the commander in chief in 2011 or 2015 can justifiably argue and hand over power to IGBO's.

When the Northeren political fraudster talk about equity, justice and fairplay. I asked them why not allow south to have another 26 yeras of Presidency so that equation can be balanced. out of nigeria 50 years of Independence, north has it for 38 years and south 12 years

Anyone who think the North are any sincere is a fool and will deserve whatever befall them
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by FACE(m): 7:39am On Oct 30, 2010
revolt:

your s.s. When he finishes what happens to the east. Since its a known fact that the typical s.s man would rather vote a megida than vote a Daniel with igbo origin. Ohanaeze will lead us to political suicide.

"You could guess how a meal would taste from the way it smells"

If northerners were interested in Igbo presidency, why did Jonathan become Yaradua's VP in the first place ?

If Yaradua had remained alive to complete "8" years, do you think that they would waved Jonathan goodbye in favour of an Igbo person ?

People from both divide have fought for the presidency from the beginning, so the whole zonal thing has always been a sham, except to the gullible.

I am yet to see any integrity from any of those screaming "zoning", they have all looted public funds at one time or the other and they all display such wealth in a "what can you do style ?" and people still want them to come back ?

In my opinion, Jonathan is not a lot better than the rest, but he is the one eyed man, in the land of blind (PDP).

As for Igbo interests, they would be best served by an Igbo person or their immediate neighbours, especially their far eastern neighbours.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Vindy: 7:41am On Oct 30, 2010
@Vigasimple well said my brother, what we will not see after climbing on trees the elders will see sitting down. The wise men has said it all, who wants to believe the EVIL ONE, D MARADONNA, The north don't deserve power for another 16years.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Onlytruth(m): 7:52am On Oct 30, 2010
FACE:

"You could guess how a meal would taste from the way it smells"

If northerners were interested in Igbo presidency, why did Jonathan become Yaradua's VP in the first place ?

If Yaradua had remained alive to complete "8" years, do you think that they would waved Jonathan goodbye in favour of an Igbo person ?

People from both divide have fought for the presidency from the beginning, so the whole zonal thing has always been a sham, except to the gullible.

I am yet to see any integrity from any of those screaming "zoning", they have all looted public funds at one time or the other and they all display such wealth in a "what can you do style ?" and people still want them to come back ?

In my opinion, Jonathan is not a lot better than the rest, but he is the one eyed man, in the land of blind (PDP).

As for Igbo interests, they would be best served by an Igbo person or their immediate neighbours, especially their far eastern neighbours.

Intelligent dude!

I had thought about the same thing loooong time ago.
I have also listened attentively to all interviews by northerners and I know what I see. Thanks for spotting it too.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Onlytruth(m): 8:00am On Oct 30, 2010
MetalGong4:

Bros Gong, I really think we should support Jonathan because this zoning thing died when OBJ did a second term in 2003. If we play our cards well, we can get almost everything we want with a Jonathan presidency. He has already demonstrated some good will, and I don't think that men like Uwechue are easily compromised. Moreover I don't think the entire Ohanaeze are fools or have been bought, frankly, not everything is for sale. You can't even buy me undecided undecided cool, not to talk of those men. We need to start giving our leaders credit. We were here when Dr Dozie Ikedife stood firm against Obasanjo's schemes. If we don't start respecting our leaders, how do we expect other tribes to respect us as a people? They won't. In fact they'll just laugh at us. undecided
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by banom(m): 8:28am On Oct 30, 2010
Good endorsement, Ride on Geja, you can be assured you have my intelligence which i will use to formulate tactics and strategies we will use to deny northerner the presidency forever.

northerners are backward and we dont need backward leaders any more, period.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by excanny: 12:56pm On Oct 30, 2010

[size=18pt][center]2011: Why we back Jonathan, by Ohanaeze head[/center][/size]

[center]Emma-Enyinnaya Appolos[/center]

Ambassador Ralph Uwechue is Nigeria’s First envoy to France, a posting that he got in 1966. An indigene of Ogwashi-Uku in Anioma Local Government Area of Delta State, he is the President-General of the Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the pan-Igbo socio-cultural organisation. Uwechue, who holds the traditional title of Ogwuluzame of Ogwashi-Uku, was Minister of Health in 1983, Special Presidential Envoy on Conflict Resolution in Africa from 1999 to 2006, and ECOWAS Special Representative in Cote D’Ivoire, from 2003 to 2007. EMMANUEL ENYINNAYA APPOLOS, met him at his Africa House residence in Ogwashi-Uku during the week, and he explained why the Ohanaeze Ndigbo, under his leadership, is backing the bid by President Goodluck Jonathan to continue in office come 2011. The interview is presented below:

As the President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, what will you have to say about the present political plight of your people?

Let me first of all inform you that the Igbo are the largest in terms of population, not only in Nigeria, but also in Africa. There are ethnic units that make up the Igbo nation. We became part of Nigeria as a result of British colonisation and it was Ndigbo, represented at that time by our late leader and Pan-Africanist, the late Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, who actually fought on the forefront of national struggle for independence. Unfortunately, we had certain issues that ended up to the civil war. And since then, Ndigbo had been relegated to a situation that we think, must change now, 40 years after the war.

For example, we talk about the zones. There are six zones in Nigeria, one has seven states, four have six states, and only the Igbo South-East has five states. We know that in this country, things that come from the federal coffers are shared equally on state basis. That is already, a handicap for Ndigbo and we think and have always said that it is not fair.

In terms of local governments that get grants directly from the Federal Government, some states in the north have more local government areas than the entire south-east zone. I think that, in terms of equity, Ndigbo have not got the right in this country and it is important that adjustments are made so that every section of Nigeria, whether it is Igboland or Yoruba land, will feel comfortable that we all belong and are equal in this country.

Your leadership as the Ohaneze President-General is at its departure lounge, given that it has a two-year term of office. In these two years, what will you say have been your efforts to ensure that the plights of your people are improved upon in Nigeria?

The Ohaneze Ndigbo is a social cultural organization. But it is interested in the political and economic status of Ndigbo. What Ohaneze does not do is to participate in partisan politics. Ohaneze is impartial when it comes to which political party Ndigbo will take interest in. But Ohaneze is blind to know who is a good or bad leader. We identify with the people we think can help Ndigbo, we don’t care what party they belong to and we ask people to support them because if good people are in governance, Ndigbo will benefit. So, it is important for people to know that we are not apolitical to extent of not caring whether a thief or a honest man is governing. No. We are not apolitical to that extent. We judge from what we feel will benefit Ndigbo and we come out to say this man or that woman from his or her antecedents merit our support, for our interest. We have been consulting, talking to our people in various groups and areas of activity in the country, making them understand that politics controls other things, and that they should organize to support and produce any one who has the right quality to help Ndigbo and Nigeria in general. Since I took over, efforts have been made to organise Ndigbo and promote our culture. We have organised two Igbo Days. Owerri in 2009 and this year, in Umuahia. Within the limit of our capacity, we have been organising lectures in universities, emphasising the need for people to learn Igbo language and help to promote Igbo culture.

There is a current controversy in Ohaneze over the 2011 presidential election and the position of Ohaneze that was made public recently. Contrary to that position which you, as the President-General signed, some Igbos are saying that Ndigbo as a people have not spoken. Before the arrival at that position as it was publically expressed, what effort did Ohaneze make to reach to prominent Igbo people to get their views on the matter?

I thank you for this question. Short of a referendum, there is no way of knowing what every Igbo man and woman thinks, but there is a way of finding out what the vast majority of the Igbos think. It took us five and half months of quiet consultations with various Igbo groups including the churches, before we arrived at the position that was made public. For example, four months ago, the Ijaw National Congress (INC) visited us as the executive of Ohaneze Ndigbo, and told us that they wanted us to support President Goodlcuk Jonathan; we told them that we had heard them, and we also told them that we were consulting the Igbos. We made a return visit to the INC in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital. The matter was also raised, both by the ICN leadership and by Governor Timipre Silva of Bayelsa. He also solicited that we support Jonathan when we paid him a courtesy visit. We repeated to them that Ndigbo was still consulting and we promised them that they would hear our position after necessary consultations. Precisely, on the 14th of August, 2010, we had an Imobi meeting of Ohanaeze Ndigbo in Enugu. Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu raised the point that Ndigbo should support Jonathan, and he gave certain reasons to back up his position. I told him that we had noted what he thought that Ndigbo should do, but I also told him that we would continue to consult Ndigbo at home and abroad until we felt satisfied about what the majority of Ndigbo wanted. And the consultation continued.

Some people said I should have called for an assembly of Ndigbo to discuss the matter, but we reasoned that calling an assembly would make it difficult to achieve the goal, because if there are 100 people in attendance, 90 people would say Aye and 10 would obviously say Nay. The next day, screaming headlines of the newspapers would be that Igbos are not united. So, we did not buy the idea of calling an assembly. We consulted groups by groups and noted what they told us. Towards the end of our consultation, certain senior Igbo people, were invited to Enugu and they were hosted by K.U. Kalu, we all discussed this matter, and they also gave their position very clearly. Then the consultation was climaxed with the traditional rulers. The executive of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, led by me and some other Igbo leaders, including former Senate President, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim and Professor Anya O. Anya, and we spent two days in Abakiliki, that is on the 13th and 14th of October, consulting with the traditional rulers. The first day we met their caucus, the next day we met with the General Assembly traditional rulers in the South-East. The two meetings were chaired by HRH Eze Cletus Ilomuanya, who is the chairman of the South-East Traditional Council. Anyim and Anya actually addressed the traditional rulers, and explained to them the outcome of our consultations with other Igbo groups, and where we were going. The traditional rulers said that they supported our position and asked us to go ahead. After the meeting with the traditional rulers on the 14th, on the 15th, I issued the statement on behalf of Ndigbo, declaring the position of Ndigbo on the support for Jonathan.

So, those who are saying that Ohaneze Ndigbo did not consult anybody don’t know what they are saying. A bunch of Igbo people in Abuja think that they alone speak for the Ndigbo because they can dash in and out of government offices. We have done the consultation that has produced a result for our people. Somebody also raised issues with me alone signing the advertorial, arguing that it should have been signed by several people. I just laugh at that. The truth of the matter is that if the president of a country wants to sign a document on behalf of the country, he does not invite the Secretary to the Federal Government to also sign for the world to believe it as genuine. The important thing is that if the executive has given approval, then the president signs, and that is what we have done. This is not the first statement we have made on national issues, this is rather the third. When the late President Yar’Adua went for medical trip in Saudi Arabia, and people were asking whether he should govern from his sick bed in Saudi Arabia, we came up with a statement that we thought that Jonathan, who was Vice President then, should be allowed to take up the leadership of the country in an acting capacity pending the return of Yar’Adua. I signed that statement alone when it was approved by the Ohaneze executive. When the late Yar’Adua, may his soul rest in peace, was brought back to the country in a shrouded matter at night from Saudi Arabia, we also issued a statement. I also signed it alone after it was approved by the executive. This third one followed the same pattern. The important thing is that Ndigbo made consultations and were in total agreement with the executive of Ohaneze. Ndigbo are seriously for Jonathan, and we are not making pretense about it. We consulted at their various groups and they told us they are for Jonathan.

Before arriving at the conclusion, certain things of Igbo interest were put into consideration of which Ndigbo stand to gain if President Jonathan succeeds. What are those things Ndigbo that Ohaneze considered before opting for Jonathan?

They are simple. Jonathan comes from the South-South, and Nigeria has six zones and that if we reinforce the importance of the zones, other things would follow. And we insisted that the positions in the country should rotate among the six zones.

Also, those we consulted told us that they had been watching what Jonathan had done since he took over, that action speaks louder than words. They said that since General Aguiyi Ironsi was slaughtered in Ibadan, an Igbo is now the head of the Nigerian Army, and it was Jonathan who did it. They also said that for 50 years, Ndigbo have been asking why the Enugu airport has not been given the full international status. The people who have suddenly discovered that they are lovers of Ndigbo, feeding the public with false pretence, ignored the Enugu airport because making it an international airport would boost Igbo economic activities and save our people from travelling to Lagos and Abuja before flying out of the country. Jonathan has done it for us. For the first time in the history of Nigeria, an Igboman has been appointed Minister of Internal Affairs, this is an important ministry. When Senator Ike Nwachukwu was the Foreign Minister, when he was to be Minister of Internal Affairs, overnight, it was changed. They didn’t trust an Igbo man enough to head that ministry; they didn’t want an Igbo man to be in charge of security. That was how Ike Nwachukwu became Foreign Minister twice. If this man, Jonathan, is ready to give Ndigbo a level-playing ground, our people should take note of that. These are what the people we consulted told us and we noted it that formed our position; added to Ohaneze’s stand on zonal equality.

You said earlier on that Ohanze is a social cultural organisation which does not take a stand on partisan politics. Don’t you think that the position of Ohaneze to support President Jonathan, is partisan?

I can tell you one thing; one must be presented by a political party before he can stand for an election. In that case, are you saying Ndigbo should support nobody? We are not looking at the parties, but we are looking at the individual. If Jonathan had come from any other party that is not the PDP, we would still have supported him, based on the fact that he is a new generation leader, who can help Nigeria. If he decides to change party today, he is free to do and the support for him will remain. We are not seeing or supporting Jonathan as a PDP member, rather, we are supporting him as presidential candidate for next year’s election because he has declared to run.

You said that the Imobi of Ohaneze met to discuss the issue, but some members of the revered body said that since you took over as president-general of Ohaneze, they had not been invited to any of its meetings. Was invitation to the meeting selective?

Well, I don’t know what any member of the Imobi told you, but if I believe that what you told me is accurate. I will reply by saying that, first of all, Imobi has large members, and some don’t attend to meetings. The invitation to Imobi meeting is done by the secretariat and the President-General is not supposed to call every member to know whether they will attend meeting or not. But if certain deficiencies are brought to his notice by the members, who don’t attend to meeting due lack of invitation, as the President-General, I will look into that immediately.

Your predecessor in Ohaneze leadership, Dr. Dozie Ikedife, while responding to the Ohaneze statement in support of Jonathan, said that such position was a personal and private opinion, heavily sponsored and expressed publicly. To him Ndigbo has not spoken. How will you respond to that?

If he said so, I have to say if because you are telling me, it is his private opinion. As we are talking, Ikedife, is not, I repeat not, the president of Ohaneze Ndigbo, but Ralph Uwechue is. Ikedife’s era in Ohaneze leadership is gone. He didn’t take dictation from Professor Joe Irukwu, who handed over to him. He can have his private views about me or the present executive. For example, the constitution of Ohaneze stipulates positions in the organization, including President-General, Secretary and all other positions, but Ikedife didn’t have a secretary. He ran Ohaneze alone as a private business. This is a fact and for him to point at people and describe official position as a private opinion is not right, and he is the least of people to criticise the present Ohaneze. He is the least qualified person to point fingers at anyone on this particular issue.

Ohaneze is not a profit making organization. This calls for questioning when Ohaneze gets involved in huge expenditure of projects without any public call for financial support from Igbos. Can you explain where Ohaneze got the money to finance the advertorial of its position that featured in the media because some have alleged that the position was sponsored from the Presidency?

Thank you very much. This is not the first or second advertorial that Ohaneze has issued as I have told you. If you check your records, the other statement of the Ohaneze were also publicised and broadcast in the media, the same way this one was done. And nobody pointed a finger at us that it was sponsored. It is those who disagree with us, who are looking for faults. For God’s sake, Ndigbo are not paupers and I am not starving. I built this Africa House 30 years ago, that was in 1979. I have personally – and I have said it publicly – been sponsoring Ohaneze’s activities from my pocket, and it is not stolen money. Again, let me inform you that there are some Igbo boys in business, who are very proud of the new line that Ohaneze is taking and they have been helping out. For example, this advertisement you are talking about, I don’t personally know the amount involved. Some people are supporting it, but not President Jonathan or any government agency. That is for sure. It is not a matter of being sponsored to say the wrong thing, not at all. Those who have been attacking that statement have not been able to pick one hole in what we said; they are only attacking my person. People are distorting facts, some people are saying that they were not consulted, and I ask, those who went and signed an agreement with some northerners that Ndigbo should support them in 2011, so that in 2015 they will support Ndigbo, did they consult Ohaneze or the governors of the South-East? Rather they did it on their own in Abuja.

It is not enough for Ohaneze to declare support for Jonathan. What is Ohaneze doing to ensure and mobilize Ndigbo to vote Jonathan for president in 2011?

That is not Ohaneze’s job to mobilise people to vote or organize political activities. Ohaneze is speaking for Ndigbo in an advisory capacity. After due consideration and consultation, Ohaneze comes out to tell Ndigbo what we think is good. In case of election, we advise them to vote for somebody who is credible and whom we know will help to advance the political life of Ndigbo.

Is Ohaneze working hand in hand with governors of the South-East states?

The governors, as elected leaders of the people, have their assignment to govern their states in the zone, cooperate with them and gives advice.

One wonders why Ohaneze has not spoken over the strike embarked by state universities in the south-east. Same questions go to why the Ohaneze has spoken over the level insecurity in the zone the way it has done by declaring support for Jonathan?

It is not correct to say that we have done nothing. What you can say is that we have not done anything announced to the public. We have been talking to the governors. On the strike issue, we have been talking to some of the Vice Chancellors of the universities. If you want to make peace, you don’t start by announcing; otherwise you fail even before you start. We have not been inactive; we have been discussing the matter. As far as kidnapping is concerned, everybody is concerned and is doing everything to ensure everything is put under control. We don’t have to tell you what we have done or what were are doing to tackle this menace.

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69169:2011-why-we-back-jonathan-by-ohanaeze-head&catid=53:interviews&Itemid=701

I had to add this excerpt of the interveiw with Ambassador Ralph Uwechue because it was more detailed than the Guardian report
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 30, 2010
Onlytruth:

If the above is not consultation I wonder what is. undecided

After consulting, did they take the final decision using one of the mechanisms provided in the laws of Ohaneze constitution?
The essence of consultation is not so that you select those who agree with you and reach a decision behind the scene.

The Ohaneze constitution has mechanisms on which critical decisions must be taken, was any of those followed? That is the question.

And mark my word No zoning arrangement in Nigeria will see power move from South-South to South East. It is only those who do not understand the spirit under which they attempted to form the zoning policy that will engage in such wild dreams.

Ralph Uwechue can not claim Jonathan who has said zoning does not exist when it comes to choosing the President will now turn around to zone power to the South East.

Most importantly, Jonathan as President will be too weak to deliver on anything and this is what nobody is talking about.
I will rather Ohaneze does not endorse anybody than invest our political future on a very dumb President who will not deliver on anything, and yet not a member of Ohaneze.

This is simply political sucide if this madness is allowed to stand.

Ralph Uwechue should get ready to step down next month.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by AndreUweh(m): 1:33pm On Oct 30, 2010
mikeansy:

After consulting, did they take the final decision using one of the mechanisms provided in the laws of Ohaneze constitution?
The essence of consultation is not so that you select those who agree with you and reach a decision behind the scene.

The Ohaneze constitution has mechanisms on which critical decisions must be taken, was any of those followed? That is the question.

And mark my word No zoning arrangement in Nigeria will see power move from South-South to South East. It is only those who do not understand the spirit under which they attempted to form the zoning policy that will engage in such wild dreams.

Ralph Uwechue can not claim Jonathan who has said zoning does not exist when it comes to choosing the President will now turn around to zone power to the South East.

Most importantly, Jonathan as President will be too weak to deliver on anything and this is what nobody is talking about.
I will rather Ohaneze does not endorse anybody than invest our political future on a very dumb President who will not deliver on anything, and yet not a member of Ohaneze.

This is simply political sucide if this madness is allowed to stand.

Ralph Uwechue should get ready to step down next month.
Mike, biko, for the sake of Christ, leave Uwaechue alone for once. At first, you said there were no consultations, we told you there were. From Newspaper reports, you should have seen series of meetings that took place. The bottom line is: You have a right to vote for any candidate of your choice. Ohanaeze is only acting in an advisory capacity. Thank you.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by tfASH: 2:02pm On Oct 30, 2010
I really don't know why anyone who has this country at heart would endorse PDP, i totally see no reason but open to be enlightened.

Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 30, 2010
Honestly, i'm getting fed up of people who speak from all sides of the mouth.

I'm sure i've heard and read a billion times (even on the forum) thats Igbo's are about the only group/tribe who are (somewhat) democratic in tradition/culture. This is even further stressed by the fact that Igbo's do not have a singular ruler.

Why do we now have the leader of a socio-cultual organisation speaking on behalf of a whole a tribe??
A bloody socio-cultural organisation littered with rapscallions who are up for their own personal gains??

If these guys are so interested in politcs then they should show their hands. If not, Ralph Uwechue  and his buds  should continue promoting the Igbo language and culture.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by AndreUweh(m): 2:31pm On Oct 30, 2010
OMO IBO:

Honestly, i'm getting fed up of people who speak from all sides of the mouth.

I'm sure i've heard and read a billion times (even on the forum) thats Igbo's are about the only group/tribe who are (somewhat) democratic in tradition/culture. This is even further stressed by the fact that Igbo's do not have a singular ruler.

Why do we now have the leader of a socio-cultual organisation speaking on behalf of a whole a tribe??
A bloody socio-cultural organisation littered with rapscallions who are up for their own personal gains??

If these guys are so interested in politcs then they should show their hands. If not, Ralph Uwechue  and his buds  should continue promoting the Igbo language and culture.
The society for Promotion of Igbo language and Culture (SPILAC) is already doing that and that falls under Ohanaeze.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 30, 2010
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by steroid: 4:31pm On Oct 30, 2010
From the comments above, I see some anti-Jonathan posters have all of a sudden given their support to Jonathan. It means there is hope for Naija.

Well, I still believe that there are more hurdles to cross before Jonathan grabs the PRIZE- GOD HELP US.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by excanny: 5:14pm On Oct 30, 2010
steroid:

From the comments above, I see some anti-Jonathan posters have all of a sudden given their support to Jonathan. It means there is hope for Naija.

Well, I still believe that there are more hurdles to cross before Jonathan grabs the PRIZE- GOD HELP US.

In politics there are no permanent friends and permanent enemies. What you need to have are permanent interests.

It seems you've been on vacation on some isolated island. The events of the recent times have shown that GJ is the man to beat. Like most posters have said here, he's a one-eyed man in the land of the blind. Not really the best, just better than the rest masquerading themselves as candidates.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by AndreUweh(m): 5:18pm On Oct 30, 2010
excanny:

In politics there are no permanent friends and permanent enemies. What you need to have are permanent interests.

It seems you've been on vacation on some isolated island. The events of the recent times have shown that GJ is the man to beat. Like most posters have said here, he's a one-eyed man in the land of the blind. Not really the best, just better than the rest masquerading themselves as candidates.
Spot on.
I envy your wisdom. Are you related to King Solomon?.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by excanny: 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Spot on.
I envy your wisdom. Are you related to King Solomon?.

grin grin grin grin

thanks.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 30, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Mike, biko, for the sake of Christ, leave Uwaechue alone for once. At first, you said there were no consultations, we told you there were. From Newspaper reports, you should have seen series of meetings that took place. The bottom line is: You have a right to vote for any candidate of your choice. Ohanaeze is only acting advisory capacity. Thank you.

I agreed with the bolded in as much as their decision is not OBLIGATORY on any ibo !
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by marcdunu: 5:59pm On Oct 30, 2010
If Ndigbo follow Jonathan into the political wilderness then Uwechue should be held responsible.

I really don't know that we owe the Ijaws any favours to engage in this madness. Jonathan is not Igbo, he is not Ibibio, he is not Efik . . . . he is from the very tribe that betrayed us. And yet he is not a great President. What is the point of this endorsement? Who is funding the advertorials?

Jonathan is dumb, he may be the incumbent but he will surely be a failure and Ndigbo must find a more sensible political future.

Ralph Uwechue has simply thrown the Igbo interest under the bus to uphold the South-South agenda because he is from South-South.

If Jonathan was worth it then fair enough but Jonathan is clearly not worth it.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by steroid: 6:01pm On Oct 30, 2010
excanny:

In other words, political prostitution is permitted. Which goes on to say that you can change course as many times as possible- Unstable as water.

Well in this case I have no qualms since it's for the right course. Hope they remain in it.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Anayordike(m): 8:21pm On Oct 30, 2010
Truly I am in support of OHANAEZE NDI IGBO. For your information, Mr President is a son-law to the Igbos. For the sake of our Ada we should support him by giving him the benefits of doubt. The Igbos have always been their brothers keepers from the SS, though this love has always been misinterpreted by our brothers from the SS, but that is not to say that everybody from there is the same. Something in me is telling me that GEJA is a man of integrity. He will not disappoint the IGBO nation nor Nigeria as a whole. So ndi be anyi, let us not mind "Ndi ochi akpa eli ozu." Of course some would want to use this issue to make cheap popularity for themsevles. But yhe truth is thst "anyi ma ndi bu ndi ma oge ruo" Kpom kwem. grin wink
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by Dede1(m): 9:30pm On Oct 30, 2010
The posted article allegedly from Ohanaeze or Uwechue in solidarity with GEJ presidency is a load of rubbish. The aforementioned article kept refereeing to either southeast or one goofy Eze Cletus Ilomuanya, who is the chairman of the Southeast Traditional Council. The question remains is Ohanaeze an exclusive entity of southeast?

I am ashamed to read statements devoid of intellect and substance that have been credited to Uwechue such as “agreement with some Northerners that Ndigbo should support them in 2011, so that in 2015 they will support Igbo Presidency did they consult Ohanaeze or the governors of the Southeast?” Who are the northerners in this case? If Uwechue is in a bid to torpedo a well constructed process under a constitutionally constituted political body such as PDP, I asked what nonsensical agreement he is talking about.

One thinks that a man of Uwechue caliber should understand that a strike against PDP zoning is equally a strike against the so-called rotational presidency he kept referencing in the interview.
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by ohaechesi(m): 10:18pm On Oct 30, 2010
revolt:

I can till you without missing words that your statement is not based on reality rather on sentiment. or else, how could u be so bind not to see that the zoning of a thing wouldn,t have done Nigerians any good than harm. I'm not in for tribal war here but of a true, the Northerners and Yorubas really need to vegetate and indemnify from the manner they lead the nation. I must inform you here that the zoning of a thing was not signed into law by PDP on a genuine motive. if i may ask, are we leaving by PDP constitution or by the Federal republic of Nigeria constitution? why should someone from s.s be stone to death for being the president of Nigeria? .once more, no matter how u spell MALAM, malam an malam in all ramification and this is the right time for a positive change in Nigeria for the betterment of the poor masses. thats how i see it, i eant no disdain
Re: Why We Endorsed Jonathan, By Ohanaeze (Guardian Newspaper) by efoghorjos: 11:47pm On Oct 30, 2010
Has any Igbo man ever asked himself why the Northerners are calling on the sky to fall down because power is changing hands?
Do you think the Northerners would want to wrestle power from anybody only to hand it back on a platter of gold to the people they have declared their worst enemies and untrusted people?
Why don't they give you the power now instead of 2015? They are simply insatiable when it comes to power. They've been there all the while and are still struggling to return to power at all cost.
The best option the Igbo man has now is to come closer to their South-South brothers and earn their confidence. This would be reciprocated by the South-South when it is their turn.
If the South co-operates, the North would be shut out of political relevance. Nigeria belongs to all of us, not just a section.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? / Photo Of The Day: See What This Kids Are Doing With IPAD / Finally UK Is Now Against Buhari:see What They Revealed About Him(mindblowing)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.