Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,631 members, 7,827,351 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop (3601 Views)

Niger Delta Struggle And Dream Country Is Not Biafra / Asari-Dokubo Convenes A Meeting On The Next Phase Of The Niger Delta Struggle / Picture South east Rivers State Reject Been Called Niger Delta Or South South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 12:42am On Nov 03, 2010
Do the people of south south have any proof that their forefathers planted oil?

Is it possible to reap where you did not sow?

Oil is a Natural resource and belongs to the State and not the property of any individual or community.

I recognise the need to compensate those who have their environments destroyed as a result of exploring this Natural resource, but nobody must confuse this as  private ownership of oil.

Nobody planted oil and nobody can claim private ownership of oil. While the River State man has legitimate right to compensation from the activities of oil companies due to degradation of immediate environment, they have no more right than the man from Sokoto on the owneship oil because nobody planted oil and hence it belongs to the country Nigeria since it is a natural resource within our sovereign territory.

If we do not clarify this confusion on who owns oil, we can not solve the militancy, kidnapping and criminality going on in the South South in the name of Niger-Delta struggle.

It is time to cut the crap, discard this political correctness and say the truth like it is so that we can make progress and use our God given natural resource for the good of the whole country.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 12:56am On Nov 03, 2010
Parasites will never change. cry cry cry cry

The Niger Delta is the:
[list]
[li]Is one of the Worlds most polluted places[/li]
[li]Worlds most polluted wetlands[/li]
[li]Worlds most polluted oil producing area[/li]
[li]Cancerous diseases are rampant in the ND due to pollution[/li]
[li]Respiratory diseases are rampant in the ND due to pollution[/li]
[li]Plant and animals have been wiped out in the ND due to pollution[/li]
[li]Farmlands and fishing waters are unproductive in the ND due to pollution[/li]
[/list]

A very heavy price in blood, health and lives has been paid by ND people because of fcked up demons and parasites that cannot do a days's job outside an FG office.
Every Nigerian except the core Northerner is thoroughly ashamed of what is going on in the ND.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by EzeUche0(m): 12:59am On Nov 03, 2010
Northerners still feel that the oil started in the north and drained into the Niger Delta. Foolish people.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 1:06am On Nov 03, 2010
Which is why I say we can not confuse compensation as ownership

Oil belongs to no one. Oil belongs to Nigeria

Nigeria has a large and commercial deposit of uranium which is in my area. It belongs to the country as well and not to some fool not willing to work hard to find food for themselves rather they take up arms against the state to reap where they did not sow.

Lazy fools. go and look for work and stop terrorizing the rest of us.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 1:23am On Nov 03, 2010
krendo:

Nigeria has a large and commercial deposit of uranium which is in my area. It belongs to the country as well and not to some fool not willing to work hard to find food for themselves rather they take up arms against the state to reap where they did not sow.

Look for work? That is damn funny! Last time I checked, every fcking begger in Warri was from the core North.
It seems the only thing you parasites can do is generate almajiri's and Boko Haram, who fight with hammers and stones for the right to remain as ignorant and foolish as you.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by koruji(m): 2:04am On Nov 03, 2010
Your complete lack of a sense of fairness and justice is infuriating.

While we are at it. Since land also belongs to God like oil, MEND or whoever has the wherewithal should should take over large sections of the north so they could make use of God's photosynthetic technology, water, sun and nutrients for Agriculture. Right?

krendo:

1 Like

Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by homerac7: 7:30am On Nov 03, 2010
@ krendo.

Na wc kind talk u dey yarn so from ur backside? U mean say u go come my farmland come pluck my oranges or fall my trees claiming na d land b my own bt no b me plant d trees. So na only d trees wey I plant b my own on top d land, ba? No wonder wey ur fulani kinsmen dey drive cow enter people farmlands to destroy crops. When quarrels start una go claim say na grass una chop no b d poor farmer crops. What a logic?

If u don't knw how things like land issues run, shut up and learn. LAND OWNER OWNS EVERYTHING ON AND BENEATH D LAND!

Btw, did u say u hav uranium at ur place? U must b from area around nafada in gombe state and potiskum in yobe state. If I may ask u, do u knw y ur so called commercial uranium is not mined? Answer d question and tell if same can b attributed to d bonny light crude oil in ND.

Again, y is it dt ur folks in potiskum don't allow non sons of d soil to mine d gypsum there? Afterall according to u it is a national natural resources, or is it dt ur folks r more national than d others?

Those who Liv in glass houses don't play baseball indoors.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by CrudeOil2(m): 7:54am On Nov 03, 2010
If Nigeria practiced true federalism and resource control, the oil would belong to the Niger Deltan's.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Coolabbie: 8:40am On Nov 03, 2010
I no blame u na dose despicable leaders wey we get na him i blame. And na because of their actions na him make people lyk u open mouth 2 talk jargon.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by saintneo(m): 9:04am On Nov 03, 2010
jargon angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by egift(m): 9:21am On Nov 03, 2010
See as abuse dey rain.

On a serious note: Until the constitution of Nigeria is amended, the totality of Land and Natural Resources in Nigeria - belongs to the Federal Government.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by egift(m): 9:25am On Nov 03, 2010
Also I will like to add that our brothers in Niger Delta will gain more seeking a constitutional amendment to gain greater control of resources in their domain rather than violence.

Because na pity Nigeria just the pity them grin grin grin
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 03, 2010
egift:

See as abuse dey rain.

On a serious note: Until the constitution of Nigeria is amended, the totality of Land and Natural Resources in Nigeria - belongs to the Federal Government.

When you see the mindless abuse going on here you can understand why this people have converted their homeland into a warzone for no reason. They blow themselves up out of ignorance without checking out the position of the law on this issue.

See excerpts from the petroleum act

An Act to provide for the exploration of petroleum from the territorial waters and the continental shelf of Nigeria and to vest the ownership of, and all on-shore and off-shore revenue from petroleum resources derivable therefrom in the Federal Government and for all other matters incidental thereto.

1.         (1)        The entire ownership and control of all petroleum in, under or upon any lands to which this section applies shall be vested in the State.

(2)        This section applies to all land (including land covered by water) which—

(a)        is in Nigeria; or

(b)        is under the territorial waters of Nigeria; or

(c)        forms part of the continental shelfs; or

(d)        forms part of the Exclusive Economic Zone of Nigeria.

(3)        In this section references to “territorial waters” are references to the expression as defined in the Territorial Waters Act.
http://www.nigeria-law.org/Petroleum%20Act.htm

This position of the law is not perculiar to Nigeria. Remember our laws are based on the English Common Law and if you go to most European countries, Oil and most Royal Minerals are controlled by the Sovereign Government no matter on whose land they are found and only the Government can authorise any company to engage in exploration.

If we do not clarify the position of the law on this issue people will continue to die for nothing.

Yes I do agree that our Federal Government needs to be more transparent on the use of oil revenue for all our common Good but we are all in it together. There is no need for any section of the country to feel specially cheated. Let us all hold our Government to task but not by fuelling criminality in the creeks.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 03, 2010
Let the ridiculous political correctness stop!!!!
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by patrick89(m): 1:46pm On Nov 03, 2010
@OP

This is th Nigerian of my dream.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Abagworo(m): 2:08pm On Nov 03, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong but Niger Deltans never claimed to manufacture oil or grow it but the land happens to be blessed with oil and gas.I have always been an advocate of resource control but not by claiming that oil belongs to my family alone.The reason why the poster sees it this way is because we are not practising true federalism.If it were true federalism,the states will have more rights to the oil than fg.So you as a Sokoto man cannot lay claim to resources found in Bauchi.You can also harness your uranium and face nuclear bomb production while the Delta government find ways to harness their own oil.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 03, 2010
^^^^^

And what is your response on the position of the law on this issue in terms of ownership by FG.

If you want independence then fight for one, but while we are together, oil belongs to Nigerian State.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by johndoe200: 2:50pm On Nov 03, 2010
krendo:

^^^^^

And what is your response on the position of the law on this issue in terms of ownership by FG.

If you want independence then fight for one, but while we are together, oil belongs to Nigerian State.

well why don't you go and end the militancy? I don't know why people are wasting time responding to this clown. If you ignore him he will go away.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by udezue(m): 3:01pm On Nov 03, 2010
The usual rambling of a pathetic parasite. Oil belongs to the region where its found. In progressive nations if oil is found beneath your land the government will pay you to explore and even give u money each year or month because its your damn land hence you can even be a freaking Hausa-Fulani man and still get paid for owning a land that has oil deposits.

Since no one should have rights over their land I command you buffons to stop segregating Southerners and non-Hausa-muslim into areas like the Sabon Gari. Drop ur stupidd Sharia laws after all your land is our land. Abi?

Mindless bloodthirsty parasitic punks. The day you buffons will seceed will be the happiest day of my life.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 03, 2010
johndoe200:

well why don't you go and end the militancy? I don't know why people are wasting time responding to this clown. If you ignore him he will go away.

Why did you fail to heed your own advice?

the truth they say is bitter
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 03, 2010
udezue:

The usual rambling of a pathetic parasite. Oil belongs to the region where its found. In progressive nations if oil is found beneath your land the government will pay you to explore and even give u money each year or month because its your damn land hence you can even be a freaking Hausa-Fulani man and still get paid for owning a land that has oil deposits.

Since no one should have rights over their land I command you buffons to stop segregating Southerners and non-Hausa-muslim into areas like the Sabon Gari. Drop your stupidd Sharia laws after all your land is our land. Abi?

Mindless bloodthirsty parasitic punks. The day you buffons will seceed will be the happiest day of my life.

In what progressive Nations?

United Kingdom? Netherlands? Norway?

Are these Nations not progressive enough? In these countries oil belongs to the sovereign Nation.

Our laws are based on English common Law and oil in Nigeria belongs to Nigeria.

Anybody who does not like it should go and challenge the law in the NASS and stop blowing up themsleves in the name of Niger-Delta struggle.

No amount of abuse on my person will change the position of the Nigerian laws on this issue.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by udezue(m): 3:23pm On Nov 03, 2010
In America u dumbasss.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 03, 2010
udezue:

In America u dumbasss.

Ok I see your confusion.

You are deciding Nigerian issues with American laws?

What does the Nigerian Law say? Nigeria Laws were crafted out of English common Laws, what does the English Law say on this issue?

There are successful countries out there with similar laws as ours who are still making progress.

So no need to decide Nigerian affairs using American Laws.

Our constitution says oil belongs to the Federal Government and that is just the way it is.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 03, 2010
    Ownership and Control of Natural Resources

A common feature of all oil and gas contracts in Nigeria is that the recitals begin by
emphasizing the legal position that the state is ‘vested with the entire ownership and
control of all petroleum in, under or upon any land which is in Nigeria or under the
territorial waters of Nigeria or forms part of the continental shelf of Nigeria’. This is a
mere repetition of the constitutional position. Section 44(3) of the Constitution provides
that ‘the entire property in and control of all minerals, mineral oils and natural gas in,
under or upon any land in Nigeria or in, under or upon the territorial waters and the
Exclusive Economic Zone of Nigeria and shall vest in the Government of the Federation
and shall be managed in such manner as may be prescribed by the National Assembly’.
In the same vein, Item 39 of the Second Schedule on the Constitution confers the
power to make laws on mines, minerals, including oil fields, oil mining, geological
surveys and natural gas on the central legislature. The Petroleum Act3 also echoes this
position in its very first section. It provides that ‘the entire ownership and control of all
petroleum in, under or upon any lands to which this section applies shall be vested in
the State’. The section applies to all land which is in Nigeria, under the territorial waters
of Nigeria, or forms part of the continental shelf or part of the Exclusive Economic Zone
of Nigeria. The present legal arrangement excludes the communities and local
authorities from oil exploration and production. The Supreme Court of Nigeria has given
judicial imprimatur on this legal regime in a decided case4. This explains why the
contracts are bilateral between the National Oil Company which represents the Federal
Government and the multi-national corporations

http://www.energydev.net/bitcache/1230a96af0dd8d757c55f8d1ba9d2050560aa652?vid=650&disposition=inline&op=view

That is referencing Bamidele Aturu - Oil and Gas Contracts: Legal Issues and Experience from Nigeria by Bamidele Aturu

I keep producing facts, they keep producing conjectures.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 5:05pm On Nov 03, 2010
When everybody points out the foolishness in a fools position and he still fails to see it, wiser folk know why.
I think we are better off weeping for the parasitic almajiri called krendo than attempting to reason with his sun dried mind.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 03, 2010
^^^^^

That you have more ND Militants on nairaland to support your argument does not mean that it is correct.

I have quoted various section of Nigerian laws to support my argument including section 44 (3) of the 1999 constitution.

What do you have to back ur argument? nothing but abuses.

Where are your facts, post them lets see or be bold enough to embrace the truth before ignorance and laziness consume you all.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 5:26pm On Nov 03, 2010
^
As far as I know, just two ND people have attempted to rectify your anal logic here. A lot of the respondents are from the SW, SE and possibly even parts of the North.
When will you buy a hyena and make money from your foolishness? Another foolish trade you could learn, is the squeaking eye cutting / belly cutting trick.

Dan daudu.

The one thing I can observe is that your veil of foolishness blinded you to my first post which gives the reasons why ND people are up in arms; instead you are idioticaly quoting excerpts of the costitution that have no bearing on the issues I raised, but whats to be expected from an immoral, parasitic fool?
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 03, 2010
Beaf:

^
As far as I know, just two ND people have attempted to rectify your anal logic here. A lot of the respondents are from the SW, SE and possibly even parts of the North.
When will you buy a hyena and make money from your foolishness? Another foolish trade you could learn, is the squeaking eye cutting / belly cutting trick.

Dan daudu.

The one thing I can observe is that your veil of foolishness blinded you to my first post which gives the reasons why ND people are up in arms; instead you are idioticaly quoting excerpts of the costitution that have no bearing on the issues I raised, but whats to be expected from an immoral, parasitic fool?

are those the contents of the constitution you read?

we don't need a rocket scientist to tell us why there is chaos and confusion in Niger delta.

you dont even know what ND means. are there no states in SE and SW also in ND?

ignorant fool, I challenge you to produce any law supporting your claim.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by egift(m): 5:56pm On Nov 03, 2010
@ krendo, don't mind Beaf:
Once he stop abusing folks and stop addressing everyone as "fool", his end will come. I wonder what school he attended, who taught him English and how sad his up bringing would have been - because he consistently live, abusing everyone.

BTW: I appreciate your approach - showing the the light facts - while they embrace blowing up their emptiness.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by chosen04(f): 6:11pm On Nov 03, 2010
What stu:Ipid law is the poster even talking about?
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Abagworo(m): 6:15pm On Nov 03, 2010
@beaf do not insult krendo for he might be ignorant of some facts.He presented an excerpt from our constitution.Those are the issues I expected your man GEJ to iron out but you kept calling me IBB supporter.We need the ills corrected and not just to contest for a 2nd term without addressing the real thing.I still maintain my stand that even if Niger Deltans rule for 20 years without addressing some key issues like this "krendos constitution" we may never have peace.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by ChinenyeN(m): 6:27pm On Nov 03, 2010
egift:

See as abuse dey rain.

Does FG, let alone the people even take the constitution seriously? Who pays any serious attention to it? (serious questions).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Uduaghan Defends Cost Of Asaba Airport / Silent Development In The Southeast!!! / BREAKING: National Conference Ends Successfully

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.