Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,859 members, 7,821,000 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion (4930 Views)

Nigeria Must Say Goodbye To Ethnicity And Say Hello To Merit. Sen Murray Bruce / Broom And Umbrella Which Is More Important? / Residency Over Ethnicity - Where Will You Reside? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by amazonia(m): 8:23pm On Nov 05, 2010
@Tensor,

I did not pass any comment on faith.
I am
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by amazonia(m): 8:45pm On Nov 05, 2010
@ tensor.
My debate is about why ethnicity is more important to me than my Relgion.
Which does not implied i am Agnosti, or aetheist. I went further to explained why.
I am not interested in debating the intricacies of faith.
You know it easy to acquire any faith tru due deligency and baptismal by water.
But can only acheive ethnic bonds from blood relationship ordained by God.
So, my blood ties is more thicker than my water bond.
Thru my ethicity, my relationship to God is by blood. Because he created the ethnic group.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by poweredcom(m): 11:56pm On Nov 05, 2010
@All,
I do not know what the poster wants to achieve but I go with the group that says "Religion has nothing to do with good governance".
I do not care who came to Lagos 1st, Islam or Chritianity.Let me make it clear to the people referring to the 5 SW guvnors installed by Obasanjo as 'christians' that they are committing a sacrilegous error.They were not christians and I pray they are now christians.Infact even the Igbos that call themselves christians are nothing but religious church-goers, their guvnors and politicians inclusive.
Christianity is not just 'another religion' but the 'only religion' and the only way of life approved by God. "For there is one God,and one mediator between God and men,the man Christ Jesus" -1Timothy 2:5.
Let me also inform you that a christian is someone who behaves like Christ and not someone whose place of worship is the church.Read Acts 11:26 and understand that the word 'christian' emanated from the fact that the early believers were behaving like Christ.

Let no one deceive himself again on this issue,anyday a christian, as in a christian rules this country,we all will see the difference.

I urge you all to leave religion and accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour so you can begin the 'christian race'

God bless you.

That what I call Bullshit, Hahaha Yeh God inspired men to write the bible which is in its original form hebrew, now english which KING JAMES OF ENGLAND TOOK POETS TO re write and translate.in the process there many pages where adulterated to suit their evils plan to conquer the world , with slavery and taken away that is why the BIBLE is just an ordinary piece of literature and best seller AND FULL OF CONFUSING WORD, an contradictions,

THE KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE

The King james translation of the bible is considered the greatest piece of literature in English.its language supposedly represent the ultimate in using the King English.Well Shakespeare language and the Bibles Language are on and the same.They say that from 1604 to 1611 King james got poets to translate,to write the Bible Well if Shakespeare existed he was then the top poet around,But Shakespeare is no where reported connected with the Bible.If he existed,why didnt King james use him? And if he did use him,why is it one of the world best kept secrets?
King James was Brilliant and the greatest king ho ever sat on the British throne.Who else among royalty,in his time,would have had the giant talent to write Shakespeare works? It was he who poetically FIXED the BIBLE -which in itself and it present King James version has enslaved the world.

from AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MALCOLM X
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-517287.0.html#msg6817656
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by isalegan2: 12:49am On Nov 06, 2010
---
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by DapoBear(m): 12:55am On Nov 06, 2010
A bit off-topic, but what is the situation in Kwara? How do they view themselves? I've not met too many people from Kwara before. The general sense I get is that there, religion is a bit more important than ethnicity. Is this true/false?

Any insight would be much appreciated,
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by becomrich4: 1:08am On Nov 06, 2010
Let me put it this way to answer this question. If Jonathan was a Yoruba man, Jonathan would have address the injustice done to the Yoruba people. Even if he is a muslim Yoruba , he would have made change. But because he is not a yoruba, he does not care for the Yoruba. even while he is christain. Human treat even dogs and cat fairly. Yorubas are more than Jonathans dogs and cat.

Look at it this way. Gowon,  who was said to be christain order the killing of over 1,000,000 christain igbos because he was a northerner. A northern muslim would have order the killing of over 2,000,000 igbos.

That answer your question.

you there are christain  and there are truth christain. Not everybody who claim to be a christain , is really one. People action shows the world if they are christain or not. Your name may be Jonathan   or John, but your action is what tell people if you are really a christain or Not.

Look if I am president of Nigeria, because I am a true christain, I would not denied a northerner justice ,just because he is a northerner or a muslim.
While if you claim you are christain, let your action tell people , you are.

Look if Jonathan is a christain and knowing the danger to the people of Nigerian lifes. he would cut off the north. and off them a share of the oil revenue.  This is how I see it. Human buy food for dogs and cat,  Northerners are more than dogs. There is not reason, why he does not want to cut them over and offer them share in oil revenue expect the fact he is ijaw.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by mensdept: 4:04am On Nov 06, 2010
All this talk of ethnicity and religion is welcome, though it's just common sense.

In Naija, the two are important, and depending on who you are, where you live, what you stand to gain or lose, and what you believe, one or the other can outweigh the other.

The Yoruba people (dont mind those claiming Arabs/Islam was introduced in ALL Yorubaland before Christianity) can claim that their ethnicity is more important than religion, since they are not entirely Moslem, Pagan, or Christian (which could imply those stereotypes about them not being committed to anything (except partying cheesy) ), yet religion can supersede ethnicity for a Yoruba if being Moslem gives him the governor nomination in a state that has a large moslem population (i.e. Kwara) or party chairmanship.

The Igbo people are clearly Christian (large catholic/anglican groups) with few pagans, and being Christian for them has created a culture similar to what Westerners value as attaining modernity and being "developed". Yet, religion alone hasnt brought them THAT close to ALL the southern neighbors (Plus GOWON cheesy ), because ethnicity is very strong.

The Fulani (i.e. hausa-fulani) are (mostly) Moslem and that's first and foremost in all their dealings within and outside their immediate environ. Period. It doesnt mean they cant do business and have relations with others, but even before the cloud settles, they see the cloud and its settling as directive from ALLAH.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by semid4lyfe(m): 8:24am On Nov 06, 2010
Hmmm. . .this thread is on the homepage and it reads Is ethnicity more important than religion? so I'll leave the politics and answer that  question instead. . .

YES! I THINK ETHNICITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN RELIGION. 

Assuming I own a company & there is an opening and two suitably qualified people apply for the job - Applicant A from my hometown/villa but an atheist and Applicant B, a "born-again" christian who is even a member of my church and worships in the same parish as me but is of a different ethnic origin, I'd give the job to the guy from my hometown/villa.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Afam4eva(m): 11:02am On Nov 06, 2010
mens dept:

All this talk of ethnicity and religion is welcome, though it's just common sense.

In Naija, the two are important, and depending on who you are, where you live, what you stand to gain or lose, and what you believe, one or the other can outweigh the other.

The Yoruba people (dont mind those claiming Arabs/Islam was introduced in ALL Yorubaland before Christianity) can claim that their ethnicity is more important than religion, since they are not entirely Moslem, Pagan, or Christian (which could imply those stereotypes about them not being committed to anything (except partying cheesy) ), yet religion can supersede ethnicity for a Yoruba if being Moslem gives him the governor nomination in a state that has a large moslem population (i.e. Kwara) or party chairmanship.

The Igbo people are clearly Christian (large catholic/anglican groups) with few pagans, and being Christian for them has created a culture similar to what Westerners value as attaining modernity and being "developed". Yet, religion alone hasnt brought them THAT close to ALL the southern neighbors (Plus GOWON cheesy ), because ethnicity is very strong.

The Fulani (i.e. hausa-fulani) are (mostly) Moslem and that's first and foremost in all their dealings within and outside their immediate environ. Period. It doesnt mean they cant do business and have relations with others, but even before the cloud settles, they see the cloud and its settling as directive from ALLAH.

You're on point.

amazonia:

@ tensor.
My debate is about why ethnicity is more important to me than my Relgion.
Which does not implied i am Agnosti, or aetheist. I went further to explained why.
I am not interested in debating the intricacies of faith.
You know it easy to acquire any faith tru due deligency and baptismal by water.
But can only acheive ethnic bonds from blood relationship ordained by God.
So, my blood ties is more thicker than my water bond.
Thru my ethicity, my relationship to God is by blood. Because he created the ethnic group.

I think it's kind of contradictory to say ethinicity is more important and still stick to your religion. What if the tenets your ethnicity contradicts that of your religion.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by almoner(m): 11:06am On Nov 06, 2010
I think you 've corrected yourself. I wish Nigerians well
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by tEsLim(m): 11:09pm On Nov 06, 2010
More mis-guided people have died in the name of gods and religions. All of this cult itself are mind cages. Liberate yourself and understand the true meaning of life. Ethnicity/segregation is the root of most racial & hate crime; religion is worse.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by fASHCEO(m): 11:06am On Nov 07, 2010
The both are based on the ideology of protecting self interest of each group. I'm of the view we need to embrace using what i see as "good or bad" system in our society where everyone's religion & ethnic is well respected.

For phones, computers, ipods & other electronics, Check out Sales-Inland with the link below;
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Nobody: 4:01am On Nov 09, 2010
@topic: Idk. . .if either is "better" but no matter the religion title or even the name for their God, the main focus is love, understanding, and brotherhood. If people ACTUALLY abide by that, then viewing your ethnic kin as your family would be automatic.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by dguruja(m): 3:48am On Dec 21, 2012
sizzlers: I DONT GET THIS POSTER, BUT I THINK THE MAIN REASON IS COS WE ARE NIGERIANS
nigerians miss the way, and this will always be, nobody can do anything about it. Kalas

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Texas Town Quarantined After Family Of Five Test Positive For The Ebola Virus / Pastor JT Kalejaye Bombs Goodluck Jonathan / Buhari : I Came In At The Wrong Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.