Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion (4917 Views)

Nigeria Must Say Goodbye To Ethnicity And Say Hello To Merit. Sen Murray Bruce / Broom And Umbrella Which Is More Important? / Residency Over Ethnicity - Where Will You Reside? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Afam4eva(m): 11:24am On Nov 04, 2010
If you were asked to choose just one. It's either your're a Christain or Igbo, Yoruba or Ifa worshipper, Hausa or Muslim. Which would you go for.

Why is it that Nigerians always fight for their ethnicities like rotation of presidency along ethnic lines. Why is no one clamouring for rotation along religious lines. Why is that most of Lagos governors are muslims and christains are not doing anything about it.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Mudley313: 11:33am On Nov 04, 2010
smh @ you advocating one form of intolerance in replacement of another form of intolerance. "why don"t we replace tribalism with religious intolerance". ignorant buffoon

Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by seanet02: 11:42am On Nov 04, 2010
Mudley313:

smh @ you advocating one form of intolerance in replacement of another form of intolerance. "why don"t we replace tribalism with religious intolerance". ignorant buffoon

and so STUPID.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Afam4eva(m): 11:44am On Nov 04, 2010
seanet02:

and so silly.

You're not getting my point. I'm just saying why is it that for example people employ people because they're from the same tribe but Religion is never considered. Not saying any one of them is Good. Just curious.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by btlasisi(m): 12:25pm On Nov 04, 2010
afam4eva:

If you were asked to choose just one. It's either your're a Christain or Igbo, Yoruba or Ifa worshipper, Hausa or Muslim. Which would you go for.

Why is it that Nigerians always fight for their ethnicities like rotation of presidency along ethnic lines. Why is no one clamouring for rotation along religious lines. Why is that most of Lagos governors are muslims and christains are not doing anything about it.

Why not ask your question and wait for peoples reaction or answers rather than biassing them along your reasoning line.

If you want constructive and sincere submission by people you must re-write your introduction.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Sweetnecta: 12:31pm On Nov 04, 2010
Authentic Eko blood is mostly Muslims. More atowun rewas of Lagos make up the larger christian population of Lagos.

By the way, not all Yorubas are Ifa Worshipers.

Not All Igbos are Christians.

Not all Hausas are Muslims.

Lol. You dont know a thing about Nigerians, since you are not Nigerian, the reason you missed it by a mile.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by sizzlers(m): 12:58pm On Nov 04, 2010
I DONT GET THIS POSTER, BUT I THINK THE MAIN REASON IS COS WE ARE NIGERIANS
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by oludashmi(f): 1:25pm On Nov 04, 2010
afam4eva:

Why is it that Nigerians always fight for their ethnicities like rotation of presidency along ethnic lines. Why is no one clamouring for rotation along religious lines. 2. Why is that most of Lagos governors are muslims and christains are not doing anything about it.
silly question angry angry

Igbos are not christians by nature . . .what happen to the festivals, sacrifices, rituals they offer and idols they worship till date? Europeans got there first before other parts of the country

Yorubas are not ifa worshippers by nature . . .It is the African tradition/culture. . .Arabians got there first before the Europeans
Hausas are not muslims by nature . . .they have idols they worship till date. . . Arabians got there first before the Europeans

You ask if someone would choose Christianity/Islam/idols as against race/ethnic . . . in what language will the person communicate, what will be his state of origin, culture and history?

2. What is your business with the religion of the governor? Is that what leadership is all about or competence and achievements? Or is God complaining?
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by chines4(m): 1:30pm On Nov 04, 2010
We need to grow up and start asking about the persons character content and not religious or ethnic origin. Let the best person be there. sad
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by kadman(m): 1:31pm On Nov 04, 2010
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by marcus1234: 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2010
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Nobody: 1:44pm On Nov 04, 2010
Ethnicity carries more weight because it recognizes the language,history and culture of a particular tribe than religion.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by slyopez(m): 2:01pm On Nov 04, 2010
@poster, This came from a typical ethnic or religious sentimental slowpoke. U asked a sensible question but the conclusion is idiotic. Its ur calibre of people that has been in the helm of the nigerian affair since 1960, To hell with religion or ethnicity, all we need is credible, competent, merited leaders.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by btlasisi(m): 2:15pm On Nov 04, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Ethnicity carries more weight because it recognizes the language,history and culture of a particular tribe than religion.

I agree with  you, it does not only carry weight it explains why we practise the same religion in a variety of ways.
We use the same scripture books but interprete them differently.

Hausa Muslims/mosques vs Yoruba Muslims/mosques, Ibo churches/Christians vs Yoruba churches/Christians.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Akanbiedu(m): 2:45pm On Nov 04, 2010
afam4eva:

Stop beating about the bush. This post is all about Lagos.

You forgot other questions, you forgot to mention why all the Yoruba representatives in the wasted CONFAB that Obasanjo did were christians. You also forgot to mention that Majority of governors Obasanjo produced in the South-west were christians. You also forgot that the people supporting Jonathan in the north are all christians.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by bawomolo(m): 2:48pm On Nov 04, 2010
Mudley313:

yeah i'd go with this
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by mensdept: 3:00pm On Nov 04, 2010
oludashmi:

silly question angry angry

Igbos are not christians by nature . . .what happen to the festivals, sacrifices, rituals they offer and idols they worship till date? Europeans got there first before other parts of the country

Yorubas are not ifa worshippers by nature . . .It is the African tradition/culture. . .Arabians got there first before the Europeans
Hausas are not muslims by nature . . .they have idols they worship till date. . . Arabians got there first before the Europeans

You ask if someone would choose Christianity/Islam/idols as against race/ethnic . . . in what language will the person communicate, what will be his state of origin, culture and history?

2. What is your business with the religion of the governor? Is that what leadership is all about or competence and achievements? Or is God complaining?

Clearly you are not a scholar on history. Who said Arabians got to Eko before Europeans, or that Igbo people did not have contact with northern groups prior to British campaigns?

Islam, which came 600 years after Christianity was established, borrowing from Christian and Jewish texts, is the sole importance of many Northern Naija folks, and they'll identify with that first and Nigeria unity second (i.e. Sharia)
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Orestik(f): 3:10pm On Nov 04, 2010
Are u a Nigerian @ all cos dat statement of urs is so incorrect, really i feel you should do more research because I know u re not retarded.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Akanbiedu(m): 3:13pm On Nov 04, 2010
mens dept:

Clearly you are not a scholar on history. Who said Arabians got to Eko before Europeans, or that Igbo people did not have contact with northern groups prior to British campaigns?

Islam, which came 600 years after Christianity was established, borrowing from Christian and Jewish texts, is the sole importance of many Northern Naija folks, and they'll identify with that first and Nigeria unity second (i.e. Sharia)

Islam came to Lagos before christianity. Matter of fact, Yoruba land knew Islam before christianity. Many of those christian Yoruba families you see have muslim backgrounds.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by sbeezy8: 3:24pm On Nov 04, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

Islam came to Lagos before christianity. Matter of fact, Yoruba land knew Islam before christianity. Many of those christian Yoruba families you see have muslim backgrounds.

100% correct islam came before christianity.

and Eko people are muslims - im a christian and have no problem with having a muslim govenor or president.
Obj is a christian and during his years the SW had 5 christian govs who WERE ALL BLOODY terrible.

so religion has nothing to do with good governance.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Akanbiedu(m): 3:32pm On Nov 04, 2010
sbeezy8:

100% correct islam came before christianity.

and Eko people are muslims - im a christian and have no problem with having a muslim govenor or president.
Obj is a christian and during his years the SW had 5 christian govs who WERE ALL BLOODY terrible.

so religion has nothing to do with good governance.

True. Religion has nothing to do with good governance.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by javalove(m): 3:42pm On Nov 04, 2010
Yes Islam came to Lagos before Christianity and most families that are christians today in lagos have muslim background. . .

That said, even the lagosians that bear the name of their slave masters are still muslims. . .

Doherty
Callisto
Beacroft
Martins (Yes the martins families are muslims. . not saying they dont have christians tho)
Vintura
Ferreira

And so on. . .

@topic

this poster is just plain stupid. we are thinking everyday how best we can live together as one, you are creating a thread to cause division. . .tin ba gba eti e fun e, ori e a yi seyin. . . grin

#Javaliove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by JahMan1: 3:58pm On Nov 04, 2010
@All,
I do not know what the poster wants to achieve but I go with the group that says "Religion has nothing to do with good governance".
I do not care who came to Lagos 1st, Islam or Chritianity.Let me make it clear to the people referring to the 5 SW guvnors installed by Obasanjo as 'christians' that they are committing a sacrilegous error.They were not christians and I pray they are now christians.Infact even the Igbos that call themselves christians are nothing but religious church-goers, their guvnors and politicians inclusive.
Christianity is not just 'another religion' but the 'only religion' and the only way of life approved by God. "For there is one God,and one mediator between God and men,the man Christ Jesus" -1Timothy 2:5.
Let me also inform you that a christian is someone who behaves like Christ and not someone whose place of worship is the church.Read Acts 11:26 and understand that the word 'christian' emanated from the fact that the early believers were behaving like Christ.

Let no one deceive himself again on this issue,anyday a christian, as in a christian rules this country,we all will see the difference.

I urge you all to leave religion and accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour so you can begin the 'christian race'

God bless you.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Bomi(m): 4:00pm On Nov 04, 2010
Hello mates, where is the advert of CU's Application to PG School.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by sbeezy8: 4:02pm On Nov 04, 2010
Jah Man:

@All,
I do not know what the poster wants to achieve but I go with the group that says "Religion has nothing to do with good governance".
I do not care who came to Lagos 1st, Islam or Chritianity.Let me make it clear to the people referring to the 5 SW guvnors installed by Obasanjo as 'christians' that they are committing a sacrilegous error.They were not christians and I pray they are now christians.Infact even the Igbos that call themselves christians are nothing but religious church-goers, their guvnors and politicians inclusive.
Christianity is not just 'another religion' but the 'only religion' and the only way of life approved by God. "For there is one God,and one mediator between God and men,the man Christ Jesus" -1Timothy 2:5.
Let me also inform you that a christian is someone who behaves like Christ and not someone whose place of worship is the church.Read Acts 11:26 and understand that the word 'christian' emanated from the fact that the early believers were behaving like Christ.

Let no one deceive himself again on this issue,anyday a christian, as in a christian rules this country,we all will see the difference.

I urge you all to leave religion and accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour so you can begin the 'christian race'

God bless you.

Go to sleep-
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by btlasisi(m): 4:30pm On Nov 04, 2010
Jah Man:

@All,

God bless you.

Bro Jah man,

You missed it all. Go and do more research on those highlighted points and you will see that you are completely of the road.

Check your dictionary very well and see what is the meaning of religion. Christianity is not excluded from religion.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by ChinenyeN(m): 4:32pm On Nov 04, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Plain and Simple.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by harakiri(m): 4:34pm On Nov 04, 2010
I've read a lot of dumb threads on NL and this one makes it to the top 5. . .FOR REAL!
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by EzeUche0(m): 4:38pm On Nov 04, 2010
Depends on who you ask.

To a northerner, RELIGION is everything. To a southerner, ETHNICITY is everything.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Akanbiedu(m): 4:46pm On Nov 04, 2010
^^^^

I quite agree with this.
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by JahMan1: 5:22pm On Nov 04, 2010
@btlasisi,

why ask me to read the dictionary when I am quoting from a more reliable and authoritative source, The Holy Bible?
Do you also want to force me to accept that a corrupt person behaves like Jesus Christ,and so should be called a christian?
The dictionary can classify anything they like as religion and include Christianity there,but that do not change a thing.

I quote from the Bible again "Nevertheless,the foundation of the Lord stands sure,having this seal,'The Lord knows those that are His'.And let everyone that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity" 2 Timothy 2:19

Does that tell you something about the error of calling just anyone a christian because he worships in a church?
Re: Why Is Ethnicity More Important Than Religion by Afam4eva(m): 5:42pm On Nov 04, 2010
I'm sorry if i offended anybody. Cos t seems you guys are taking it personal. Maybe i should have posted this in the ethnicity or Religion section cos you guys don't get what i'm getting at. I just cited lagos state being governed by muslims as an example and never said that there's nothing wrong with a muslim ruling Lagos forever. I was just curious as to why people value ethnicity as opposed to Religion. PERIOD. Nigerians can yab sha.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Possible Solutions - Poverty Alleviation And Developments In Nigeria / New Power & Defence Ministers To Be Appointed In Two Weeks / Atiku Emerges African Leadership Magazine Man Of The Year - 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.