Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,533 members, 7,850,826 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:42 AM

Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets (37314 Views)

Bandits Now Rule My Constituency – Sokoto Lawmaker / 'Border Closure Exposes Nigeria's Deficiency In Local Rice Production' / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by achikolo(f): 10:03am On Oct 15, 2019
[s]
post=83152134:

God bless you for this post.
[/s]
Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by onos1979(f): 10:03am On Oct 15, 2019
abeg, rice don cheap?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by smartoliver(m): 10:03am On Oct 15, 2019
Why rebrand the local rice as foreign one when it's something we're suppose to be proud of? Iyam not understanding. Regardless of how good the idea of this government is, it's not helpful to the common man at all. Nigeria is what it is, if the borders are eventually opened, foreign rice will still find its way ahead of the local one. I won't applaud the decision until I see the benefits.
Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by Fragility6: 10:04am On Oct 15, 2019
ORIENTATION101:
When government put policy in place to ensure easy way of life .some greedy nigerians will still find a way to circumvent the policy and inflict pain on fellow countrymen and blame the government.

Why rebag local rice as foreign and sell at exorbitant price. The good thing about border closure is foreign rice re fading away gradually.

And the farmers re getting attention now. Our money flow should be from govt -banks- firms- households -farmers- .
Will the money circulation get to you n even if it gets to you, d rising costs of other foodstuffs due to border closure would extinguish it. The govt has been generating revenue from every source since independence yet dey still claim not to have money. Lets be guided
Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by AshipaEk0: 10:05am On Oct 15, 2019
When you produce your rice, I will wait to see which country will allow you to export to their country.

Shebi na only una Waka come

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by Nyamiri: 10:06am On Oct 15, 2019
9jahotblog:
Even the so called Nigeria rice are all full of Stones. They never improve on their production yield but can enforced total shut down on our land borders. The rate of appendicitis symptoms will increased tremendously in our various hospitals for this stones and tares in the rice. Very bad .

See this one, you lack sense.
Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by BuhariAdvocate: 10:06am On Oct 15, 2019
Government should do more by regulating the price of these product.
Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by Surgoroctor(m): 10:06am On Oct 15, 2019
[b]Fake county fake leaders [/b]hummmmmmmm

We are deceiving our self in this country

The best is let this county divided in to many as it can
kiss kiss kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by sureheaven(m): 10:06am On Oct 15, 2019
If past leaders have taken this bold and giant step to close the border, Nigeria would have been number one in rice production in Africa.

Thanks to president buhari

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by ceejay80s(m): 10:10am On Oct 15, 2019
What is the essence of closing border when the local rice that is supposed to be cheaper is now mor expensive
Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by carbon1224(m): 10:10am On Oct 15, 2019
It’s better you check the cost of local rice in the market and you know Buhari is not helping the situation at all.
Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by Surgoroctor(m): 10:11am On Oct 15, 2019
Surgoroctor:
[b]Fake county fake leaders [/b]hummmmmmmm

We are deceiving our self in this country

The best is let this county divided in to many as it can
kiss kiss kiss
Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by Nyamiri: 10:11am On Oct 15, 2019
AshipaEk0:
When you produce your rice, I will wait to see which country will allow you to export to their country.

Shebi na only una Waka come

Land borders were closed, not sea borders. Wanna import rice? Import through Tincan and pay the heavy customs duties.

Our local consumption alone is in the top 5 in the world. That's why they import into Benin and move it here. This is not even taking into cognisance the ones from Niger Republic.

So, stop talking like an illiterate.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by seunmohmoh(f): 10:12am On Oct 15, 2019
This is how it should be

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by Nyamiri: 10:12am On Oct 15, 2019
carbon1224:
It’s better you check the cost of local rice in the market and you know Buhari is not helping the situation at all.

Go and farm so that you can add to reduction of the cost of rice.

The era of smuggled rice and chicken is over.

7 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by GreenArrow1(m): 10:13am On Oct 15, 2019
9jahotblog:
Even the so called Nigeria rice are all full of Stones. They never improve on their production yield but can enforced total shut down on our land borders. The rate of appendicitis symptoms will increased tremendously in our various hospitals for this stones and tares in the rice. Very bad .

There are two types of Nigerian rice. Stone-free and the one from local rice meals. If you buy stone free and still complain of stones, then you need to get your brain checked. It might be a psychological issue.

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by dotedote: 10:13am On Oct 15, 2019
9jahotblog:

Starting with you
Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by sirjoe1124(m): 10:14am On Oct 15, 2019
etrouble:
I think for the first time in the history of this Buhari's administration, everyone who has even just a little sense is in support of Buhari. Though Biafran Flattinos have sworn by the graves of Emeka Ojukwu and Chinua Achebe that they will never see anything good in Buhari, these same Flattinos are in support of this policy of border closure. What this implies is that Biafran Flattinos may not really hate Buhari, may it is his policies that they hate. But then, criticism is not the same as revolting, cursing and abusing our dear Buhari. Let's criticise government responsibly and work together to move Nigeria forward.

But, wait oooo, did I just type that shit up there?
Too much hatred and bitterness in one piece.
Can you comment reasonably without getting Biafra involved in your stupidity; this is exactly why we can't move forward in a divided nation mared by nepotism,tribalism and religious intolerance.
When Buhari does something commended we commend him; that doesn't mean you should force your political ideology on everyone or that everyone should support your choice. One thing makes man superior to the angels and that's the ability to make choices, so be reasonable and learn to tolerate each others ideology.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by palmshots: 10:15am On Oct 15, 2019
All I just know is, as soon as the border becomes opened everybody wud still ditch the so called local rice...Why?. Because foreign rice remains cheaper than our Local Rice

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 15, 2019
In as much as I'm not in full support of Pres. Buhari's policies, I must commend him for this. The border closure didn't just end the reign of foreign rice, but reduced insecurity. You will testify with me that no herdmen violence has occurred since the borders were closed.

God bless President Buhari for boosting local farmers' business
#TruthOfTrinity

4 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by chinedu234(m): 10:17am On Oct 15, 2019
Business is normally driven by the primary principles of competitive advantages. A digression means inefficient allocation of resources. The results may not be fully appreciated from the start. Therefore,Time is an essential element for a better analysis of the present scenario.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by HEEBRAHIIM(m): 10:18am On Oct 15, 2019
Too much of stone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by Originalsly: 10:18am On Oct 15, 2019
Hmmm..... foreign minded people paying top price for local rice and don't even know..... eating and swearing it is wayyyy better than the local one. Rice needs to be banned period.to encourage local production..... increase production would result in price drop... over production would lead to exportation.... a win win for foreign reserves.

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by Area4Area: 10:18am On Oct 15, 2019
pocohantas:
Seeing some brands mentioned here and on other threads, some of us have always been eating local rice and we didn't even know- because it was that good.

What then are people complaining of?

So you even noticed, on another thread and this was before the closure, I was telling someone most Nigerians were eating local rice and he told me it was a lie, I just left him.
You can also see the reporter saying that some people were rebagging local rice into foreign bags, meaning that most people buying the 'fake' foreign rice can't tell the difference between them meaning the quality of some of the local rice is as good as the foreign yet some Nigerians would still prefer foreign.

4 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by capitalzero: 10:20am On Oct 15, 2019
while closure of land border is a good development,government cannot sustain it. It is fire brigade approach. government should build walls in our land borders. prisoners can be used as labourers.
Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by LordTrezy(m): 10:21am On Oct 15, 2019
9jahotblog:
This is a blatant lie, I bought a bag of local rice and I've been eating it for a month now, I've never seen a single stone, very tasteful and delicious except that they are not as big as the foreign ones but I love it

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by Bighead9: 10:21am On Oct 15, 2019
Buhari is working. angry

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by GreenArrow1(m): 10:23am On Oct 15, 2019
pocohantas:
Seeing some brands mentioned here and on other threads, some of us have always been eating local rice and we didn't even know- because it was that good.

What then are people complaining of?

The issue of rebagging has always been there though. Pretty fraudulent.

I stopped eating imported rice many years ago the moment Olam came to Nigeria. Now over here we have Miva Rice, Mama Pride, Ashi Rice, Mama Gold, etc and the truth is they all taste better than the imported rice.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by obayendo1010(m): 10:24am On Oct 15, 2019
PLEASE THE LAST LAP IS TO PLACE EMBARGO ON FOREIGN RICE... GIVE A SPECIFIC DATE FOR THEM TO SELL OLD STOCK FROM THEN WHO EVER SELL FOREIGN RICE WILL BE ARRESTED...IT WILL DISCOURAGE SMUGGLING FOREIGN RICE.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets by mrssomebody(f): 10:27am On Oct 15, 2019
Most of this local rice actually tastes like sorrow cry but I guess our local farmers would perfect their production with time.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Security Agencies Infiltrate Militants / NIMC Adopts Booking System For NIN Enrolment, Issues Fresh Guidelines / Nigeria Accepted US Army Barrack In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.