Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,509 members, 7,826,935 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence (8978 Views)

Jubilation In Aba As Suspected Kidnapper Osisikankwu Is Shot Dead! / Osisikankwu,dead? / Osisikankwu, Leader Of Aba-based Kidnap Gang, Declared Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by Ovularia: 11:27am On Nov 08, 2010
Alleged Abia number one kidnapper, Osisikankwu, breaks silence, speaks to Vanguard

Nov 7, 2010
By Chidi Nkwopara

The origin of this piece will certainly read like a fairy tale. A young man walked into the Vanguard Office, Owerri, to discuss placement of 15 full pages of colour advertisement. After discussing with our Correspondent, Chidi Nkwopara, the potential client left but promised that he would call to confirm the next line of action.
About four days after the visit, a call came through an MTN number. The message was simple: “We have accepted to place the advert in Vanguard. You have to come to Aba and pick the money”.
For the reporter, Aba was a no-go area and   the caller was told so. A deal was struck that the reporter should come to a place close to Osisioma.  He thereafter left Owerri for the designated place on the appointed day.
Locating the “advertiser” was not difficult but the only shock was that they were a group of youngsters! Our reporter’s expectation that he would just collect the manuscripts and cash and return safely to Owerri, was not to be. He instead got the shock of his life as it turned out that he had been  talking to the dreaded and wanted militant leader and alleged kidnapper, Osisi Ka Nkwu!
During the encounter, the militant leader decided to break his long-drawn silence on the unrest in Aba, Abia State. And in a discussion which lasted for about 20 minutes, he gave account of why he took up arms and vowed to continue with the struggle until Ngwaland is liberated.

Why did you take up arms?
We became militants because of the failure of government to live up to its responsibilities towards us. Many of us are graduates. Some are university drop-outs,who could not continue for want of fund or sponsors. There are secondary school leavers without a future in school or jobs. Many are skilled workers from all walks of life, who are partially on the job or were forced out by lack of fund to buy tools and start their business. Others are apprentices and persons wrongfully and unlawfully put out of job without means to litigate on the injustices meted against them, and a lot more who suffered sub-human treatment, degradation, torture, victimization and unjust imprisonment in the hands of Abia State Government, and its agencies from the traditional village setting up to Government House, Umuahia.

Are there other reasons?
Yes. There are some of us who chose militancy because of the despoil of their wives and sisters, ritual killing of innocent persons in the guise of security by mainly the Bakassi Boys, used by the state administration as a security outfit. I must also talk about the corrupt segment of the Nigeria Police unleashed on Abia people. They extort money at check points, police stations and even in people’s homes, thus impoverishing the citizens.
All these pains and suffering are inflicted on the poor masses while the few privileged and untouchable rich move freely to continue their looting. These human beings have relations and friends who make much money from Ngwa land without ploughing back their profit to develop the area and her people.

Are you sincere that Aba is neglected?
Honestly, successive governments in Umuahia have refused, failed and neglected to provide for the many that are poor. We took up arms to expel the few that are rich, who today, have no protection in Aba.
The neglect of Ngwaland by government is borne out of lack of patriotism by stranger elements in and around the corridors of power. How else can one explain the utter neglect of Ngwaland to its present lowest degree of absurdity?

Any proof?
Yes. Since the creation of Abia State in 1991, no Ngwa man has been governor of the state and all main markets in Aba, including Ariaria Market in Osisioma Ngwa, Cemetery Market, Ngwa Road Market and Shopping Centre, are all controlled by stranger elements, who have no interest of Ngwaland at heart.
Aba remains the commercial nerve centre of Abia State. Internally generated revenue of the state comes from this town, but there are no good road network in this town and the adjoining Osisioma area. Articulated vehicles fall or get stuck at the Osisioma Ngwa-Ekeakpara Market road. The story is worse in the hinterland. It makes us wonder if we are in modern day Nigeria or pre-historic Nigeria. This has been the state of affairs in this area for years and government pretends it does not know about it and have not heard the cry of the common man.

How can you say there are no jobs in Aba when there are factories in the town?
In all honesty, there are no job opportunities in Aba and I can tell you that there are no functional factories in the town. We have been lacking jobs even before the much orchestrated kidnap began. Government policies and programmes do not favour job creation. It does not favour industrial growth and expansion where our teeming unemployed but employable hands could have been engaged. So, why would these set of citizens not employ themselves?

Like commercial motorcycling?
There you come again. Okada riders were used for election purposes and sadly dumped after the polls. Their only reward was the blanket banning and burning of their motorcycles by the police and Bakassi Boys, at the instance of the state government. Nothing was put in place to take care of those who lost their means of livelihood and this helped in increasing the ranks of the militants in the area. Those who managed to purchase tricycles were subjected to paying N100 tax daily to the state government as rehabilitation fee.

What is the position of the petroleum depot in Aba?
You are living behind time. The depot stopped functioning long ago and no government is interested in looking into the matter. The result is that those who earned the livelihood from the depot have since lost the opportunity. They can no longer support themselves and their dependants. Again, this has rightly increased the number of angry people in the area and the option naturally is militancy.

Ngwaland is an oil producing area. Has it not impacted positively on the lives of the people?
Ngwaland is in the Niger Delta region. The truth is that no town or village is presently enjoying the dividends of oil exploration and exploitation. Owaza is a typical example of gross neglect by government. There are no roads, good and functional schools, electricity, potable water, modern markets and health centres. The sad thing is that some of our sons have allowed themselves to be bought over by government to the detriment of the hapless and helpless citizens.

Are you indicting your prominent sons and daughters?
Good question! A lot of them live outside the impoverished area. They should start preparing their burial places in Abuja and other lands because they have willingly sabotaged their native land. Their children are schooling or working abroad. They hardly touch base and cannot tell the real feeling of their kith and kin.
We are told that education is still regarded as a top priority in Abia State
I don’t know who told you that. High cost of education has sadly put the facility out of the reach of the common man. It has become very elusive for children from poor homes. Our girls, who are desirous to get education but are from poor background, get messed up in the process. Some even died of deadly sexually transmitted diseases. Public schools in Abia State is a mockery of education. This is why the rich and wealthy have transferred their children to private schools, which charge exorbitant fees.

What is your take on the controversial kidnap of school children?
Nigeria shook and quaked because children from a private school were kidnapped. They were children of the rich, wealthy and powerful. If children from public schools were picked up, nobody would have even heard about it because they are children from poor homes. Nobody speaks for them and this is the irony of the ugly situation we have found ourselves in Ngwaland. I must say that the children were released unconditionally by my men.

Did your group kidnap the school children?
One of the camps seized the bus conveying the children to their school. It was a private school. It attracted worldwide reaction and to this extent, it served its purpose. l personally found out the camp that carried out the operation and moved the kids for immediate release.
Government House, Umuahia, was impatient, despite my firm promise that the children would be released unharmed. Similarly, my lawyer mounted pressure on me. He threatened to abandon my brief if the school children were not released September 29, 2010.
Despite heavy military presence, I brought out the school children from the camp of the group that held them hostage and directly called the office of Abia State Deputy Governor and also through my lawyer, asked government to send people to Ngwa Iyiekwe Junction, along Aba_Port Harcourt express way to pick the children. That was how the children regained their freedom.

We were told that the soldiers rescued the children. Is your account not strange?
I was surprised to hear that the soldiers claimed credit for the release of the school children. I would have roundly dealt with the soldiers if that was the mission of my teeming followers. People should learn to tell Nigerians the truth at all times.

What truth are you now telling?
Apart from the total neglect of Ngwaland, there are other issues to recall. Aba has been an important city in the political, economic and social life of Nigeria. Major reforms in Nigeria started in Aba and spread to other parts of Nigeria. All Nigerians are today reaping from the effects of the Aba Women Riot of 1929. All sorts of bad names were given to the protagonist of that necessary riot.
Today, the White colonialists are gone and Black colonialists have since taken over. The state is set again at Ngwaland for a fight to either make government provide for the teeming poor masses and also protect the rich few. Government should make the area a free zone for the poor and a war zone for the rich criminals. Ours is a struggle, a commitment borne out of patriotism. The side effect is what people call kidnapping and armed robbery.

How many militant groups were actually operating in Ngwaland?
There were more than nine militant groups in various camps and locations scattered in the area. I can honestly tell you that the smallest militant group had not less than 250 persons at the time Governor Theodore Orji announced his amnesty programme. I led the largest group, which had over 3,000 men. Although these militant groups were autonomous, they were however very loyal to me.
After due consultation with the various groups, I was given the mandate to negotiate with government on the amnesty details and how to surrender our arms and ammunition. I also sought services of a lawyer in this regard, especially as I was skeptical about government’s sincerity

Why did the amnesty promised by Governor Theodore Orji fail?
I hate to recall this aspect. Government House Umuahia was still discussing with my lawyer on ways to put a permanent end to the problem before September 30, 2010. The amnesty was planned to lapse October 7, 2010.
To assure government of our sincerity, journalists were scheduled to visit the militant camps and take photographs of the armoury, so that government can match what we will eventually surrender with the items in the photograph. The press was to visit September 30, 2010, while we were to surrender our arms on October 4, 2010. Although the school children were seized within this time frame, I still assured government of the safety and subsequent release of the children.

So, what happened?
In the early hours of September 30, the Abia State Government in conjunction with the Federal Government, declared military action in Ngwaland. Tension was high. Buildings were destroyed. Properties were damaged and lost. Women and girls despoiled. Livestock were stolen and eaten by the invading soldiers, who came in trucks and tanks of war.
With heavy military presence, the visit of the press failed and consequently, the amnesty programme collapsed. The military struck eight clear days ahead of the expiration of the amnesty deadline.
With the military in combat readiness and with the actual bombardment of Ugwuati and some other parts of Ngwaland, the various militant groups and camps dispersed without surrendering.

How many of your men have been arrested?
The soldiers are jokers. The killing, arrest, detention and trial of innocent citizens, who were branded kidnappers, have not and would not help matters. Of over 3,000 men in my camp, who were ready to surrender their arms before the military arrived, none has been identified or touched by any soldier or police man. The figure of arrests announced by the security agencies is a figment of their imagination and a cheap propaganda to score cheap political marks. The military presence has not solved the inherent issues that ignited the problem.

How do you escape from these security men?
It is very simple. We know them but they do not know us. Recently, a photograph of my father was published as my own. I had a good laugh. We pass through their supposed check points daily. They ask us to place our hands on our head as we pass through their check points. We even passed through their barricades as we came to see you here today. The soldiers just don’t know who they are looking for and that makes their task crazy.

So, where do we go from here?
Dialogue is the thing and not brute force. There has to be serious arrangements to change the ugly face of Ngwaland. My promise is that this struggle and war of good over evil will continue in many ways until the day our problems are addressed by government.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/alleged-abia-number-one-kidnapper-osisikankwu-breaks-silence-speaks-to-vanguard/

Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by Odunnu: 12:36pm On Nov 08, 2010
Wow!
The osisi guy sounds both educated and intelligent
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by excanny: 4:11pm On Nov 08, 2010
There's a thread on this already.

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-547072.0.html
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 08, 2010
Wow . . . good english! Not what I'll expect from a terrorist. cool
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 08, 2010
Ujujoan:

Wow . . . good english! Not what I'll expect from a terrorist. cool

Na wao? did u guys watch a video of Osisikankwu speaking?

Is this not a written transcript of the Interview?

How much of it is an Educated Journalist putting down in clear English what he believes he heard Osisikankwu saying? and how much of it is a word for word write up of what the man said?
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by EzeUche0(m): 5:09pm On Nov 08, 2010
Most criminal masterminds are highly educated.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by ifyalways(f): 5:41pm On Nov 08, 2010
Hes talking crap!
None of those silly excuses qualify for even a single reason for all the tormenting he leashed out to Abians.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by Odunnu: 7:15pm On Nov 08, 2010
He shd have unleashed his anger on Umuahia the state capital where the politicians were instead of destroying the Aba he claims to be protecting.
The guy is . . .sick
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by chyz(m): 7:18pm On Nov 08, 2010
Please can the OP shrink the picture? The guy is extremely ugly and its really annoying me.

1 Like

Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by Nsiman(m): 8:22pm On Nov 08, 2010
the Rewards for bad govt and neglect is exactly what he stated. Wake up call
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by violent(m): 8:29pm On Nov 08, 2010
chyz:

Please can the OP shrink the picture? The guy is extremely ugly and its really annoying me.

lmao!
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by jaygetta(m): 11:38pm On Nov 08, 2010
So, in reality he's really a Revolutionary and not just a psychotic kidnapper, ? I've said it time and again, Nigeria is in a civil war (and has been for years)and she just doesn't know it!
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by shotster50(m): 2:11am On Nov 09, 2010
Oh gosh, not another 'freedom' fighter. Just what Nigeria needs.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by revolt(m): 3:53am On Nov 09, 2010
Doubt the guy speaks so intelligently. He must have gotten a publicist becos he almost won me over. That publicist is definitely doin a gud job. Freedom fighter fire. He evn says the pixs is his dads.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by Ibime(m): 6:22am On Nov 09, 2010
Load of poppycocks.

What was his political reason for kidnapping people in Okrika/Ogoni axis when he was working for Ateke?

So because someone goes to private school, its open season on them? Abi broke guys sef no dey go private school?
When even Okada riders get kidnapped in Aba for N10,000, this guy is here yarning shyt about Ngwa this, Ngwa that.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by chiozor: 7:33am On Nov 09, 2010
goosh is nobody reading what I am reading, he said the pictures is his father's pictures not him shocked this guy need to be rounded up ASAP and made to the gallows.what bullshit is he talking about angry
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by Chuks84(m): 7:35am On Nov 09, 2010
Like the reporter wrote at the beginning, this sounds like a fairytale. Did he really meet this kidnapper or he just made up this story to enhance his career? Apart from what he wrote, there's no evidence that he met with osisikankwu.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by Abagworo(m): 7:59am On Nov 09, 2010
Can anyone verify if that is Osisi's picture?Some ex-militants here in PH that know him claim he is not the guy.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by marocguy(m): 8:05am On Nov 09, 2010
Every thief has a gud reason u knw. Therefore we shud listen 2 every offender b4 we arrest or punish 4 d crime. I so understand his case n story,chei,dis guy deserves an 00N national award.
Is he soundn scared n indirectly asking 4 amnesty? Someone is admiring boyloaf,tompolo,ateke n co here. Being paid handsomely n dining with d president once in a while is encouragn these people. GEJ shud watch it
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by rafmike(m): 8:09am On Nov 09, 2010
Dis interview is ostensible, I cant believe my ears,
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by gbengress1: 8:11am On Nov 09, 2010
Another liberation fighter!He is right something must be done2bridge d gap betw d rich and d poor.Nigeria's wealth kept on increasing favouring d rich at d detriment of d poor.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by Novice1(m): 8:14am On Nov 09, 2010
I don't buy the story about how the reporter jammed the kidnapper. Sounds like they are pallies
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by mbulela: 8:18am On Nov 09, 2010
Novice1:

I don't buy the story about how the reporter jammed the kidnapper. Sounds like they are pallies
he might even have cooked up the story.
the guy sounds too polished in the interview.
but this is who militants start in naija.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by alex406(m): 8:21am On Nov 09, 2010
If all Nigerians are dedicated to fight for their freedom,no Nigerian will suffer but everybody is afraid.Look at what happened in the niger delta,if not fofr their fight they wont be enjoying today.Its a lesson for everyone.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by donobi(m): 9:02am On Nov 09, 2010
father lord deliver our nation from the hands of wicked people. Amen.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by GboyegaD(m): 9:08am On Nov 09, 2010
alex406:

If all Nigerians are dedicated to fight for their freedom,no Nigerian will suffer but everybody is afraid.Look at what happened in the niger delta,if not fofr their fight they wont be enjoying today.Its a lesson for everyone.
I agree with you on this. Government has so much neglected us and yet they tax us so much to enrich themselves.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by harpo(m): 9:19am On Nov 09, 2010
let him go and kidnapp the speaker of his state house and so on and so forth
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by wamby(m): 9:25am On Nov 09, 2010
Dz miscrant dat ve caused havoc in aba is tryn 2 delude pples mind. A human being dat kidnapd innocent children dat r not 4rm well 2 do home and here talkin nonsense. I quote 'nothin good can come out 4rm sure illegality' his abt 2 face d law. Govt cannot giv u amnesty. U must face d rot of a law osisikankwu. I hate u wit passion.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by FACE(m): 9:29am On Nov 09, 2010
Absolute rubbish. After kidnapping and killing innocent people, he wants to talk about amnesty and fairness ? He deserves a slow painful death, gestapo style.
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by ceeplus(m): 10:02am On Nov 09, 2010
I disagree to agree on des inter-story.our jounalists can lie alot.read it again and again u wil see its imposibilities
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by chuqudy(m): 10:06am On Nov 09, 2010
Are you sure this osisi is an Igbo man. He might be some of those guys that were born by our women who were impregnated by Nigerian soldiers during the Nigeria/Biafra civil war. He has a close resemblance to Ob, , Ab, , etc
Re: Alleged Abia Number One Kidnapper, Osisikankwu, Breaks Silence by ceeplus(m): 10:08am On Nov 09, 2010
I disagree to agree on des inter-story.our jounalists can lie alot.read it again and again u wil see its imposibilities

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Turtle That Smokes 10 Cigarettes A Day / President Buhari Congratulates New UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson / Nigerians Accused Of Attacking Displaced Cameroonians Settlement Over Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.