Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

How Did You Become An Atheist - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did You Become An Atheist (8465 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by InkedNerd(f): 8:34pm On Nov 18, 2010
apocalypse:

8. sex should be shared between people who trust one another

Just wondering, who says sex has to be between two people?

apocalypse:

4. No my mum and siblings are all " good " christians

Lmao.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 8:37pm On Nov 18, 2010

when did you become an atheist?

1. when i realized that the there was no difference between harry potter, lord of the rings, and the bible/the quran etc
2. when the almighty verse was revealed to me  grin " THE FOOL HAS SAID IN HIS HEART THERE IS A GOD"  grin
3. Finally when i realized i was more moral than the god of the bible and the quran.

please share your story of how you became an
atheist ?
somethings about religion just dont add up, how am i suppose to believe that a man who is also his own father impregnated his mother to give birth to himself just so that he can commit suicide? undecided undecided, lol, OR that jesus and mohammed were both capable of flying to heaven, ? undecided Haba? them be superman? grin

what prompted you to make that decision
there is no use living a lie, and pretending to believe stuff i knew was bullsh.it and mere wishful thinking

do you come from a family of atheists - (no insults meant here)
my family, just like most nigerian families are very religious, infact as i am typing this my uncle is praying to his imaginary friend to protect him from demons as he travels to the village tomorrow, lmao, lol grin grin

which religion do  you particular find repugnant?
i do not have a problem with people practicing whatever religion that makes them happy as long as they leave me alone, and that is something alot of christians and muslims dont know how to do, it is not enough for them to kiss the a.ss of jesus and mohammed they feel they have to make you do same too. Na wa ooh,

what are you views on :

death
we will all go one day, every plant, every animal etc, when your time is up its up, get used to it.

pre/post marital sex
i do not have anything againt se.x whether it is before or after marriage, as long as both parties are old enough to be responsible about it and handle any consequences that come along such as STDs and unwanted pregnancies, i personally am not married but me and my girl dey ban.g each other steady and am loving it without any guilt whatsoever  cool

stealing

i aint in support of it, whether it is by a politician or by an armed robber, stealing is stealing, it aint right to take what is not yours. angry

lying

it is not a good habit to have but in some cases i can make an exception there are times one will need to lie to save his life or someones life. in other words its relative.

murder
here again is another vast area to exhaust, i do not support the taking of lives of innocent people such as the senseless bombings by alqaeda or the equally mass murdering drone attacks utilized for military purposes by the US etc, i also support the death penalty for murderers after they have been given a fair trial, i also wouldn't mind punishing the greatest mass murderer of all time "the god of the bible and quran"  grin, lol. According to Pat Condell the god of the bible reads as if he is auditioning for the role of satan. grin

Peaceout!
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 18, 2010
@ inkerd
or group of people who trust each other

Yeah they are seen as being very good but still do things that are repugnant in the face of their God. My mum for one is a hard core tribalist who hates Igbos with passion ( we are yorubas ). My brother redefines the word player and my sister is about the only one I can tolerate
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by InkedNerd(f): 9:04pm On Nov 18, 2010
apocalypse:

@ inkerd
or group of people who trust each other

Yeah they are seen as being very good but still do things that are repugnant in the face of their God. My mum for one is a hard core tribalist who hates Igbos with passion ( we are yorubas ). My brother redefines the word player and my sister is about the only one I can tolerate

I know what you mean about the family issue. I have a cousin [she claims she changed but I don't believe her] who hates gay people with a passion and talks about how she wants to hurt gay people yet in the same breath she'll sit there and say she is a good Christian, I have a brother who claims to be a good son yet her talks bad about his parents when he doesn't get what he wants, and my parents, I love 'em and appreciate them but even as a child, I could see their hypocrisy. As a matter of fact my whole family sickens me. Even my favorite cousins piss me off. I love 'em all but I can't really say I like 'em.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by alaper: 9:20pm On Nov 18, 2010
MY IMAGINARY CITY

Once upon a time, a long time ago, my world view was deeply religious. I was devoted to my religion and holy book. I felt well protected with the armour of God. My world appeared to be a city, meticulously constructed with beautiful engravings and huge halls. The walls were deep and strong, to keep us all safe from the corruption and sin of the outside world, and they were guarded by God to prevent Satan intruding. All in all, a very comfortable and safe place to live.

One day I wanted to just look up close at one of the engravings on a wall. It didn’t quite look right, and I just wanted to check that it wasn’t my eyesight. When I reached out to touch the engraving, to my horror my hand went right through. There was nothing but dust left of that engraving. I went to my preacher, as he would have to know about this. I showed him the hole, guiltily expecting him to berate me for it. Instead he acted as if he couldn’t see it. He commented upon how beautiful the engraving was, how neatly it fit in with the rest of the decorations, and how his father, and his father’s father had also admired this engraving.

As you can imagine this caught me a bit off guard, but I accepted that maybe it was me who was wrong. After all, he was expected to be much more intelligent that I was in matters like this, not to mention wiser. In a spirit of interest however, I went and had a look at some of the other sections of the city.
To my amazement I could knock down whole walls and rooms with hardly any effort. After a while I was pulling down the buildings just for the pleasure of being able to. Whenever I pulled down a structure I could see that people were still walking around in it as if nothing had happened. This confused me and scared me.

After a while I knocked down the outer wall, the one that protected me from all of the evil in the world. What I saw was a collection of similar cities and small towns. I went and had a look at a few of them, but I didn’t seem to be able to inhabit them, because again I could easily knock holes in the buildings, and find myself unwelcome.

Eventually from my standpoint all that I was left with was a huge flat plain. There was nothing left that could stand up to even the most simple investigation. Nothing was certain, everything crumbled. I could still see my family walking in the air as if their city was still there, but I could not talk to them because they were so far away.

The flat plain was definitely the most intimidating time for me. I could not talk to anybody. I had no shelter, no rules, no group. I spent many hours shouting for people to hear me in their imaginary cities, but to no avail. Perhaps this is what hell is like? No certainty, no authority, no faith, no deity. I tried everything.

Eventually I worked out that the only option available to me if I wanted somewhere to live was to build it myself. I started out with some building blocks that I knew couldn’t be knocked down. “Treat people the way you like to be treated”, “Learn before believing”, “Understand before judging”,
”Be honest with yourself”. These are plain and simple bricks, not the fancy marble
sculpturing that my old home had, but at least they are verifiably solid. They withstand the most rigorous scrutiny. The house is simple and I started to enjoy every day I spent in it.

My neighbours now look at me with a mixture of envy, fear and curiosity because I didn’t build my new house with any of the ‘usual materials’ that is commonplace in all the cities I visited. How could this house stand? Hmmm! How could it protect against all the dangers lurking in every corner, the principalities and powers, and rulers of darkness? No engravings or sculptures, just simple solid bricks, but they suffice for my home. I included a garden for contemplation, and I considered myself lucky to have such a large plain to build on. Now my house is how I want it, shape, size and décor. I few neighbours have come over to see how they could build a house like this. Some have started building, others are consumed with fear. I wish them well, in their journey to the real world.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by mykali(m): 10:49pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^that irked me a little.

@OP

I'm at a point in my life now where i'm beginning to have doubts which I know I shouldn't be having. My folks were born into the Anglican community, then later changed to being protestants (AG). Right from childhood, I've always had questions to ask but I've never gotten bold enough to ask them. These days, i just don't bother. I'm a Christian (not a fanatical one) and although i've 'dangerously' flirted with the thought of Atheism or Agnosticism at one time or the other, i've always brought myself to just believing that God really exists and I do pray to Him too. I read the Bible and follow the commandments to the best of my abilities.

What I really want right now is to witness the Second Coming. . .and let some group of people be finally proved right. . .or wrong. undecided
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by manmustwac(m): 10:52pm On Nov 18, 2010
@alaper
very nice story. Relgion blinds you from reality.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by NubianQ(f): 11:24pm On Nov 18, 2010
I have met a few Atheists in my life time and i find them very interesting to listen to.

I am not the best christian in the world, i am more of a christian who is curious about everything from the practice of varierty of religions to non-religious people.

I once read a book on other religions, cults and alternative living and it changed the way i thought about people and the world in general

The decison to be religious is down to to an individual.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by mrofficial(m): 11:57pm On Nov 18, 2010
Looking @ every account in www.nairaland.com and being under Seun Osewa confirms that there is something in control of our lives.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Blazay(m): 12:03am On Nov 19, 2010
I did not appreciate the services of a God who sacrificed his only son for nothingness, having conceived him 'immaculately' too.
After discovering Christians were ritualists who eat and drink the flesh/blood of their saviour they killed. cheesy
Besides atheists are way smarter people.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by oolu(m): 12:14am On Nov 19, 2010
I certainly belief that  there must be a  mysterious supreme being  somewhere who I feel must have an unparalleled sense of humour. Wherever he is, he must be laughing hard at the foolishness and illogicality of mankind. I, therefore see myself more as deist than an agnostic or atheist. There has to be God (the complexities of mankind can't be mere coincidental happenings), but not is not in the light painted by religious fellows in the Christian or Islamic world. When I read the Bible or Koran, things don't just add up. They do not align with my sense of reasoning.

I come from a religious upbringing but I started asking questions when  those that preached holiness behaved in ways that were unacceptable of "holy" people. cry
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by fstranger: 12:21am On Nov 19, 2010
Blazay:

I did not appreciate the services of a God who sacrificed his only son for nothingness, having conceived him 'immaculately' too.
After discovering Christians were ritualists who eat and drink the flesh/blood of their saviour they killed. cheesy
Besides atheists are way smarter people.

I concur!
lol
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by InkedNerd(f): 12:23am On Nov 19, 2010
oolu:

I certainly belief that  there must be a  mysterious supreme being  somewhere who I feel must have an unparalleled sense of humour. Wherever he is, he must be laughing hard at the foolishness and illogicality of mankind. I, therefore see myself more as deist than an agnostic or atheist. There has to be God (the complexities of mankind can't be mere coincidental happenings), but not is not in the light painted by religious fellows in the Christian or Islamic world. When I read the Bible or Koran, things don't just add up. They do not align with my sense of reasoning.

I come from a religious upbringing but I started asking questions when  those that preached holiness behaved in ways that were unacceptable of "holy" people. cry

Deism eh? Interesting.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by petphunt(m): 12:26am On Nov 19, 2010
[quote="greenhope"]Its really funny when someone with a soul and spirit says there is no God I wonder where this person is coming from and why they dont understand the simple logic and logic world view that they are all a spark of God and also an extension.

In other word you only don't believe in what you think exist so I think Atheist-ism is another way of believing in God.

Hope this help.

Ye are gods with a Father God[/quote]

Your statement is nebulous. If I do not believe what you believe, it obvious that I would not have the same opinion as you do of me. What is logical to you would be illogical me. I am a Deist and do believe in God but my belief is that God created the world and abandoned it. Consequently, God does not care about what goes on in our world. This is why God does not intervene as you believe in the affairs of humans. Why do you think  we have so much hate, diseases, natural disasters etc. If God is a perfect God, there cannot be imperfection under his watch. The claims of religious people to the atheist is therefore balderdash. Apparently we see with different lenses but I am not an iconoclast so I do not condemn other people's beliefs. I hope all religionists would accept the fact that there are other beliefs at variance with theirs. After all we are all believers. The atheist believes there is no God and the theist believes there is God.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by NubianQ(f): 12:31am On Nov 19, 2010
petphunt:

Your statement is nebulous. If I do not believe what you believe, it obvious that I would not have the same opinion as you do of me. What is logical to you would be illogical me. I am a Deist and do believe in God but my belief is that God created the world and abandoned it. Consequently, God does not care about what goes on in our world. This is why God does not intervene as you believe in the affairs of humans. Why do you think  we have so much hate, diseases, natural disasters etc. If God is a perfect God, there cannot be imperfection under his watch. The claims of religious people to the atheist is therefore balderdash. Apparently we see with different lenses but I am not an iconoclast so I do not condemn other people's beliefs. I hope all religionists would accept the fact that there are other beliefs at variance with theirs. After all we are all believers. The atheist believes there is no God and the theist believes there is God.

wow, thats very interesting, i am holding my dictionary and checking oh, enlightening views though, grin grin grin grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by manmustwac(m): 12:36am On Nov 19, 2010
kambo:

about 20 years ago when i was still in my teens.

kambo:

please share your story of how you became an
atheist ?
very simple and straightforward as a british born nigerian from a weak catholic background minus the dogma and indoctrination i just told myself oneway sitting down in my catholic church thinking about creation that an old man creating the world by simply saying let there be light didn't make sense because he didn't say anything about tyrannosaurus or apatosaurus which were dinosaurs which existed over 250 million years ago.

kambo:

what prompted you to make that decision
It was easy i realized life is to complex for there to be a creator. Evolution explains life better.

kambo:

do you come from a family of atheists - (no insults meant here)
Nope we didn't start going to church till i was seven years old. I'd best describe it as a weak catholic background.

kambo:

which religion do you particular find repugnant?
Islam because it can radicalize you. A good muslim university student was recently jailed for 20 years here in england for attempting to kill her consertive M P because he supported the war in afghanistan. They said she had been radicalized by extremists muslim sites on the internet.

kambo:

which religion do you find - nearly acceptable if you
wanted to be religious -
None really but i think buddhism if i was forced to make a choice.

kambo:

what are you views on :

kambo:

death
When your dead your dead and thats the end finito kaput.

kambo:

pre/post marital sex
The main purpose of sex is not for fun like what most people think but its actually to reproduce because without sex we humans and all animal species will become extinct. I don't beleive in all this no sex before marriage. The main thing is as long as both parties are comitted to each other because married people do get divorced.

kambo:

stealing
Well all our god fearing pastors, relgious leaders christian policemen etc are the biggest thieves in nigeria.

kambo:

lying

murder
Why did you even ask these two questions. Do you think that we atheists like murderers and liars? We hate them just as much as you guys do.

kambo:

afterlife
There was no beforelife so there will no afterlife. To prove this no one from the supposedly afterlife have ever come back to the present life to tell us about the afterlife. This is the only life you have Heaven and Hell Paradise etc only exist in your imagination.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by NubianQ(f): 12:40am On Nov 19, 2010
fstranger:

Do you have to disgrace me like this on the WWW. Olodo! Anyway, I still want to spread your legs apart though. You need to get some of my peak milk inside of you so you can become smarter, like myself. Deal?

i would love to be spread apart but problem is that you have not recovered from your syphilis ( u remember the one you got from R-A-P-I-N-G The stray dogs in your fathers compound), your stench is soo bad pit toilets had to close down business, i cant come near you ooo,

so its peak milk u bring out? last time i heard, the rubber u used for the dogs had mucus mixed with maggots, abeg, leave me ohhh

lets just be friends because i cant come near u ooo, stinking pig,

my darling Fstranger grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by mrofficial(m): 12:41am On Nov 19, 2010
There was no beforelife so there will no afterlife. To prove this no one from the supposedly afterlife have ever come back to the present life to tell us about the afterlife. This is the only life you have Heaven and Hell Paradise etc only exist in your imagination.

If someone comes back from afterlife, would you believe? If you believe, what about the rest that didn't witness it?

It will never happen.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by MissyB3(f): 12:44am On Nov 19, 2010
Capt. Cavey:

I think is more of a burden to believe there is no God than to believe there is truly a God. Any rational thinker won't say the former. Unless those who like to hide under the theories and hypothesis of some people who think believing such would place a limit on them  in their  various fields. To them, is much of a ego thing.

To believe or not believe in God is what you need to discover yourself. Forget about the "big bang" idea. Forget about darwins thought about who you are,or how you came about- evolution. These are just the thought of some people. Discover this fact yourself. If this world self-created itself by chance,i tell you, we'll have to live our lives and every other things by chance.
The universe,the complexity of creation is just too  perfectly complementing that we cannot let "chance" take the credit. I'll rather say i created the universe,instead of given the credit to "chance". Only losers wages all on chances aka uncertainties!  
smiley
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by oolu(m): 12:51am On Nov 19, 2010
Missy ★ B:

smiley

Some of us ain't saying there is no God, We're just saying God somewhat redundant.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by fstranger: 12:51am On Nov 19, 2010
NubianQ:

i would love to be spread apart but problem is that you have not recovered from your syphilis ( u remember the one you got from R-A-P-I-N-G The stray dogs in your fathers compound), your stench is soo bad pit toilets had to close down business, i cant come near you ooo,
so its peak milk u bring out? last time i heard, the rubber u used for the dogs had mucus mixed with maggots, abeg, leave me ohhh
lets just be friends because i cant come near u ooo, stinking pig,
my darling Fstranger grin grin grin grin grin

I can't wait to tear your perineum (look it up) and throw you around like a slut that you are. By the time I am done with you, instead of the three holes you presently have, you will be left with 0ne BIG hole. So you have your stinking shyyt, urine, menses,c*um, maggot, bastard child and everything else mixed together through that one hole. I can't wait to have a threeso*me with you and your mother. Feel free to bring your sister and grandmother along. You never know, they just might come handy.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by mrofficial(m): 12:53am On Nov 19, 2010
^^^ WoW!!! See finishing.  grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by NubianQ(f): 12:56am On Nov 19, 2010
fstranger:

I can't wait to tear your perineum (look it up) and throw you around like a slut that you are. By the time I am done with you, instead of the three holes you presently have, you will be left with 0ne BIG hole. So you have your stinking shyyt, urine, menses,c*um, maggot, naughty person child and everything else mixed together through that one hole. I can't wait to have a threeso*me with you and your mother. Feel free to bring your sister and grandmother along. You never know, they just might come handy.

i think you can do alot better, that is small,

well if you can extend your tooth pick of a D *I*C*K with twizzers, i might just send a little doll for u to fire,

i am too good for you,

i rather do a man not a boy,

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by MissyB3(f): 1:06am On Nov 19, 2010
oolu:

Some of us ain't saying there is no God, We're just saying God somewhat redundant.
God is redundant? Want to expatiate on that, please?

NubianQ and Fstranger,
Give it a rest!
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by oolu(m): 1:19am On Nov 19, 2010
Missy ★ B:

God is redundant?  Want to expatiate on that, please?

NubianQ and Fstranger,
Give it a rest!

Deism assumes God created the world and has set the universe in motion but does not interfere with how it runs. So, God made himself redundant, somewhat. You've got a contrary or supportive opinion? smiley
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by bawomolo(m): 1:32am On Nov 19, 2010
Just wondering, who says sex has to be between two people?

this inked nerd chick is something else grin grin

in what ways am i a stranger to you though?
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by cybervodoo: 1:48am On Nov 19, 2010
Am not really an Atheist cos i believe there is a God that over see the affairs of all mankind, but if anyone can tell me why Jesus Christ is always depicted as a white man, I will start going to church again
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by MissyB3(f): 1:53am On Nov 19, 2010
I do not have a knack for arguing about the existence of God and/or his relevance to the universe. I seldom post on such threads but . . . . Just to indulge you . . .

oolu:

Deism assumes God created the world and has set the universe in motion but does not interfere with how it runs.
Christians know that God created the world and didn't abandon it, afterwards

oolu:

So, God made himself redundant, somewhat.
It would be so, only if we established that God actually abandoned the Universe.  i.e I have to agree with the premise before the conclusion. No?

oolu:

You've got a contrary or supportive opinion? smiley
I'm a Christian. God created the Universe and everything in it. He didn't/hasn't abandoned it . . .  He's still very much in control. Source? The Bible. Do you have any source to back up your belief? smiley
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by bawomolo(m): 1:59am On Nov 19, 2010
how do you know God is a he? i'm puzzled to how you know god's gender
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by MissyB3(f): 2:09am On Nov 19, 2010
More important things should puzzle you, not His gender which is trivial.

Why do we refer to Countries, boats etcetera as ''She''? Does it mean they have b[i]o[/i]obs and whatsitsname ? Whoever bothers about a thing as insignificant as that?
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by trooperz(m): 2:16am On Nov 19, 2010
IN THE PHYSICAL WORLD,
ONE MAN CANNOT DIE TWICE,

IN THE SPIRITUAL WORLD,
YOUR SOUL CANNOT FLY TWICE.

CHRISTIANITY IS A SCAM, USED FOR TERRITORIAL CONQUEST. WHY? THE U.S.A IS ACTUALLY EXPANDING THE EMPIRE IN THE NAME OF TERRORISM AND FORCING THE IRAQIS TO CONVERT TO CHRISTIANITY.

I'M ELATED IT HAS'NT TAKEN SO LONG FOR AFRICANS (NIGERIANS TO UPLIFT THEIR MINDS FROM THE COLONIAL TRICK.)
THERE IS A SUPREME FORCE THAT OVERSEES THE AFFAIRS OF MAN. NOT JESUS, JESUS IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER.

I WAS BORN INTO THE ANGLICAN COMMUNION, ATTENDED COVENANT UNIVERSITY. MY SOUL WAS TORTURED. TRUST ME. THE ONLY HOLY MAN IS JESUS AND HE IS FICTIONAL.  cool

PEOPLE FEAR WHAT THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND AND HATE WHAT THEY CANT CONQUER.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by bawomolo(m): 2:21am On Nov 19, 2010
Missy ★ B:

More important things should puzzle you, not His gender which is trivial.

Why do we refer to Countries, boats etcetera as ''She''? Does it mean they have b[i]o[/i]obs and whatsitsname ? Whoever bothers about a thing as insignificant as that?

the nature of God isn't insignificant. should God be regarded like a country or boat. those are non-living things.

i have another question, how do you know the universe was created by only one God?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Happens When You're Dead? / Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? / How Many Children Did King Solomon Have?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.