Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,558 members, 7,837,149 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks (68981 Views)

Pastor Stops Man From Proposing To His Daughter. Photos And Video. / Man Proposes To Girlfriend On A Boat In The Middle Of A River (Photos) / "Proposing To A Lady In Her 30s Is Not An Engagement But A Rescue Mission" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by decargne: 2:40pm On Dec 18, 2019
I.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by linearity: 2:48pm On Dec 18, 2019
snowblaq:

You mean the same Eli that didn't check what his sons were doing in the house of God and God punished him seriously for their stupidity?

The Bible said, Hophni and Phinehas were wicked and stubborn, if you read the Bible again, when El heard of what they were doing, he called them and rebuked them, also note that at this time, Eli was old and fray.

It is not true to assume that, Eli condoled what his sons were doing, so turned a blind eye; the Bible account states he acted....but his sons did not listen to him because they were evil and wicked.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by linearity: 2:56pm On Dec 18, 2019
soulpeppersoup:

The church is not a place for such there are one thousand and one places he should have done that.

What do you think will be the news if the break up tomorrow?

The church should be wise now that there are constantly under attack.

This is pure wisdom from the man of God. Tomorrow no one will drag the name of the church in the mud should they choose to misbehave.

Kudos to the pastor.

When you say, "The church is not a place for such....." what do you mean?

Are you aware that proposing to your intended bride is biblical? Right from the old testament to the New Testament; Jews and then Christians proposed to their bride...even Joseph proposed to Mary; so we have biblical example, backing and practice of proposal...but there is no single example, scriptural backing or practice about church wedding.

As Christians, are you saying that since we now know that, not only that there is nothing wrong or sinful about proposing to one's bride but there are scriptural backings for it, it is wrong to do it in the Church?

I can't believe you cited a possible 'break up' of the courtship as one of your reasons; what about marriages? Don't they break up? The truth is, a marriage break up is more of a source of embarrassment to a church compare to a courtship breakup.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by linearity: 3:03pm On Dec 18, 2019
lexy2014:

4u to say that I am a "hypocrite" and "that I don't no my Bible", is more or less an emotional outburst cos I don't see how that comment is relevant to d discussion. This is a harmless conversation about a very simple matter but I am surprised at ur unprovoked personal attack & use of foul language even in a so called biblical conversation.

If u didn't agree with what I said, it wouldn't cost u anything to point out d errors in my comment without resorting to personal attacks. Ur use of d type of language u use doesn't in anyway validate what u said. What validates what u said are ur facts.

In relation to my comment, if u noticed, I picked out d point u made about Eli. That point was erroneous & I did justice (without calling u names) by telling u that his docility wasn't a virtue according to scriptures. So I fail to see how that warrants u spilling ur emotions.

You must have taken it personal, but my reference to 'hypocrite' was made in the third person and also conditional depending on that individual beliefs. I see where it might have offended you, and for that I render my apologies.

Back to the substance....I do not think, your reference to Eli as docile as accurate. The bible records stated that, when he heard of the evils that his sons were doing, he called them and rebuked them and they did not listen to him.

Remember that, the bible said, his sons were evil and wicked, so it appear that Eli would not had succeeded. Plus at this time, the bible indicated that, Eli was old and frail.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by linearity: 3:11pm On Dec 18, 2019
Odidigboigbo:

Sometimes, most us thinks that Church is a social gathering where we do all nonsense because we want to trend. Hard it been that the guy did it quietly before the alter of God or before the pastor, the pastor will not object but trying that nonsense in someone's weeding because of publicity, call for concern if the pastor don't want the church to turn to a playground

The bride and groom were in the know and did not object; in fact the bride is a senior sister to the girl that was proposed to....naturally, I think she will be over joy that her younger sister got proposed to on her wedding day, rather than getting mad that someone is stealing her show.

Lastly, church wedding is also a publicity and a trending thing.....my point is, both fall short if you measure them with the same yardstick and am not oppose to either one and does not see anything sinful in either.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by zenit2019: 3:32pm On Dec 18, 2019
Spark Up your Wednesday with this funny Video.
Watch and Share this Hilarious and Funny comedy.

Don't forget to subscribe for more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyhgrFpWapU
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by BRATISLAVA: 3:56pm On Dec 18, 2019
bluebay:
Did you take time to ask the girl if she's happy about it ? Coz her face is telling something else..
lol. It's just the make up
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by BRATISLAVA: 4:09pm On Dec 18, 2019
lexy2014:

4u to say that I am a "hypocrite" and "that I don't no my Bible", is more or less an emotional outburst cos I don't see how that comment is relevant to d discussion. This is a harmless conversation about a very simple matter but I am surprised at ur unprovoked personal attack & use of foul language even in a so called biblical conversation.

If u didn't agree with what I said, it wouldn't cost u anything to point out d errors in my comment without resorting to personal attacks. Ur use of d type of language u use doesn't in anyway validate what u said. What validates what u said are ur facts.

In relation to my comment, if u noticed, I picked out d point u made about Eli. That point was erroneous & I did justice (without calling u names) by telling u that his docility wasn't a virtue according to scriptures. So I fail to see how that warrants u spilling ur emotions.
thanks for reminding me about Eli. His live and let live was not the best ending for him or his sons.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by charmingfrank(m): 4:41pm On Dec 18, 2019
atiku4President:
That's insubordination if either you or your would- be wife is a member of the Church. Even if none of you are, you think the house of God is a place to do a thing like that without the consent of the man overseeing the affairs of the Church. What kind of a generation are we and how do human beings reason these days? How do you see it that you are engaging a sister in a Church where the pastor is not aware of the relationship? You think a Church is a social gathering? Tomorrow if anything happens to the relationship/marriage (but God forbid) social media will say you even got engaged before the Pastor. My friend, humble yourself and appreciate the pastor saved the image of the Church.
PA to Jesus Weldon
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by Johnkay225: 6:00pm On Dec 18, 2019
Even if the wedding was in a shrine or just somewhere else,the stunt was stupid. It was someone's special day and as such should be respected. Forget what the pastor said or did or did not do... That guy no get respect, it's not even about respect for the Pastor or not or for the girl herself... The girl might just say yes in order not to make the guy feel bad in the presence of everyone.... My thought though...

1 Like

Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by kingbasuraiii(m): 7:08pm On Dec 18, 2019
I said it the other day that this news broke out that its not possible that a lady of marriageable age would be in a relationship with a guy and the parents won't know about it... All of you that were shouting the pastor is the father, Una see Una sef like this ... y'all give these pastors too much credit..
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by kingbasuraiii(m): 7:10pm On Dec 18, 2019
Johnkay225:
Even if the wedding was in a shrine or just somewhere else,the stunt was stupid. It was someone's special day and as such should be respected. Forget what the pastor said or did or did not do... That guy no get respect, it's not even about respect for the Pastor or not or for the girl herself... The girl might just say yes in order not to make the guy feel bad in the presence of everyone.... My thought though...
which stunt was stupid??.. where is it in the bible that said proposals can't be done in the church??... And the wedding was between the girls elder sister and her husband.. so what are you saying?
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by snowblaq(f): 8:48pm On Dec 18, 2019
linearity:

The Bible said, Hophni and Phinehas were wicked and stubborn, if you read the Bible again, when El heard of what they were doing, he called them and rebuked them, also note that at this time, Eli was old and fray.

It is not true to assume that, Eli condoled what his sons were doing, so turned a blind eye; the Bible account states he acted....but his sons did not listen to him because they were evil and wicked.

Uncle.. .go and read 1 Sam 3:13....God told Eli that he would punish him and judge his house forever for not restraining and correcting his sons, despite knowing what they are doing is wrong.. ...it is in the Bible.. Read it before talking please.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by linearity: 9:06pm On Dec 18, 2019
snowblaq:

Uncle.. .go and read 1 Sam 3:13....God told Eli that he would punish him and judge his house forever for not restraining and correcting his sons, despite knowing what they are doing is wrong.. ...it is in the Bible.. Read it before talking please.

The story did not start from chapter 3....

1 Sam 2:22 - 25

"..Now Eli was very old, and heard all that his sons did unto all Israel; and how they lay with the women that assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

And he said unto them, Why do ye such things? for I hear of your evil dealings by all this people.

Nay, my sons; for it is no good report that I hear: ye make the LORD'S people to transgress.

If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them."

So Eli rebuked them, but they were predestination to be slayed.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by snowblaq(f): 9:22pm On Dec 18, 2019
linearity:

The story did not start from chapter 3....

1 Sam 2:22 - 25

"..Now Eli was very old, and heard all that his sons did unto all Israel; and how they lay with the women that assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

And he said unto them, Why do ye such things? for I hear of your evil dealings by all this people.

Nay, my sons; for it is no good report that I hear: ye make the LORD'S people to transgress.

If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them."

So Eli rebuked them, but they were predestination to be slayed.

So when God said in 1 Sam 3:13 that Eli didn't retrain his sons from the evil they were doing, was he lying?
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by joshrare(m): 9:59pm On Dec 18, 2019
atiku4President:

The way some of you reason baffles me. You mean the pastor who oversees the Church should have sat down and watch what he didn't know about happen in his presence? Tommoro if anything bad happens to the relationship (but God forbid) people like you will still come out and start insulting the pastor. What a generation we are in now

What's your point exactly?

Is the pastor responsible for what happens in a relationship/marriage or the Almighty God?

keep hyping your pastor
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by Cheeryfeet: 10:04pm On Dec 18, 2019
[quote author=starrygal post=85010584]Shut ur damn mouth.For ur information,I am very happily married.And my parents became aware of my relationship before my pastor.The first to know was God.Gez u are one of those who go to church to worship pastor instead of God.[/quote

I bet if your wife can say same. Adulterer, you are like the Pharisees, you claim God is your father yet you despise the pastors he has given you. Fools, blind men
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by linearity: 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2019
snowblaq:

So when God said in 1 Sam 3:13 that Eli didn't retrain his sons from the evil they were doing, was he lying?

My guess is, your question is rhetorical or it is one of those trick questions put to Jesus to trick him, in that whichever way he answered He will fall...

I gave you a direct Bible quote from 1 Sam 2:22-25 where Eli rebuked his sons, you can combine that passage with 1 Sam 3:13 and come up with your own interpretation, both passages are words of God.

One way to interpret both passages so, they are consistent is to state that in 1 Sam 3:13, the true rendition is: "Eli did not succeed in restraining his sons...Remember that, the Bible was not originally written in English and like every translational work, verbs, tense, etc get lost in between translations....The complete word of God is inspired and without error, but you have to take the totality of the word of God and not pieces here and there.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by lexy2014: 10:37pm On Dec 18, 2019
linearity:

You must have taken it personal, but my reference to 'hypocrite' was made in the third person and also conditional depending on that individual beliefs. I see where it might have offended you, and for that I render my apologies.

Back to the substance....I do not think, your reference to Eli as docile as accurate. The bible records stated that, when he heard of the evils that his sons were doing, he called them and rebuked them and they did not listen to him.

Remember that, the bible said, his sons were evil and wicked, so it appear that Eli would not had succeeded. Plus at this time, the bible indicated that, Eli was old and frail.

This is Gods verdict on how Eli handled d situation taking into cognisance his old age and his health:

1 Samuel 3:13 says

"For I told him that I would judge his family forever because of the sin he knew about; his sons blasphemed God, and he failed to restrain them".

Pls take note of "and he failed to restrain them".
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by mignone(f): 2:10am On Dec 19, 2019
Salt3:

Just as it's inappropriate for the guy to do such in church, so it is inappropriate for a pastor to expect members to inform him of their relationships. That's not what he was called to do sir. Even the white wedding we do in church is so uncalled for and inappropriate. The house of God is a house of prayer, not a house of YOU MAY KISS YOUR BRIDE
Not all churches give room for a new couple to kiss right there.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by Coolgent(m): 6:20am On Dec 19, 2019
Oga go and settle the Pastor shikenan
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by snowblaq(f): 7:03am On Dec 19, 2019
linearity:

My guess is, your question is rhetorical or it is one of those trick questions put to Jesus to trick him, in that whichever way he answered He will fall...

I gave you a direct Bible quote from 1 Sam 2:22-25 where Eli rebuked his sons, you can combine that passage with 1 Sam 3:13 and come up with your own interpretation, both passages are words of God.

One way to interpret both passages so, they are consistent is to state that in 1 Sam 3:13, the true rendition is: "Eli did not succeed in restraining his sons...Remember that, the Bible was not originally written in English and like every translational work, verbs, tense, etc get lost in between translations....The complete word of God is inspired and without error, but you have to take the totality of the word of God and not pieces here and there.

OK, Thanks.
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by gideonvalor98(m): 10:33am On Dec 19, 2019
linearity:

Much ado about nothing!

Keep blowing empty air!

There is no scriptural backing or example to the nonsense you just spoil out there, that the Pastor must be in the know!

In fact, there is no scriptural backing or example for church wedding; the Bible only supports traditional wedding & parental consents and guy stated that, the girl’s parents are aware, which is inline with the scriptures.

The Pastor should have removed his over blown ego from the matter, if that was truly a Church, it therefore means that, it belongs to God and not the Pastor and the guy is permitted to do his engagement before God....Eli in the Bible did not poke nose into Samuel’s affairs with God.
Must everything have spiritual backing? Where is your common sense? Even the bible said wisdom is profitable to direct. Assuming he notified the pastor before hand, at least it could still be pardoned but out of nowhere. someone I don't know as a member of my church or I'm not aware of their relationship will just come and knee down to do one stupid proposal! Nah! It's unacceptable

1 Like

Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by CeterisXVII: 8:53pm On Dec 19, 2019
gideonvalor98:
Must everything have spiritual backing? Where is your common sense? Even the bible said wisdom is profitable to direct. Assuming he notified the pastor before hand, at least it could still be pardoned but out of nowhere. someone I don't know as a member of my church or I'm not aware of their relationship will just come and knee down to do one stupid proposal! Nah! It's unacceptable
Don't mind those children without home training, that are supporting the guy. sad

Is the church his personal property or is he the owner of the church? Was he the one who paid for the wedding?

His action shows a total lack of respect for the leadership of the church, and the girl's parents, too.

He chose to publicly make his proposal during someone's wedding....thank goodness, he was also publicly disgraced in the same manner. angry

From the way he behaved, it is clear that he is not even a member of that church, or else he would have known the right process to follow.

And it says a lot about his lack of respect, to be using the platform of a church, where he is NOT even a member, to be conducting a proposal. shocked

It shows his total lack of sense!

1 Like

Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by starrygal(f): 7:02am On Dec 20, 2019
Lol.Respect pastor does not mean he gets to be d first to know I am getting married.By d way,I am a female.Stop quoting the Bible against thrash.By the way the only wrong I see is d guy proposing in the church during service.He shud av asked for permission to do dat.But definitely not permission to date some1 in the church.[quote author=Cheeryfeet post=85032251][/quote]
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 20, 2019
NevetsIbot:

My friend will you get this your yeye statement off my mentions?? "You're not a Christian" - Who are you to say that?

Let's be guided. Inasmuch as you can't be a judge to my personal walk with God, take a hike and gerraway

Lol. I only deduced that from your statement. "I'm a Christian but I hate fanaticism and bigotry", bla, bla. You don't need to tell us you're Christian. Just make your point and move on, OK?

As for me, Pastor did what he's supposed to do. He's the shepherd of that assembly. He doesn't answer to social media and internet warriors. He answers to God. You can't do that in any sane church without at least giving the leader the courtesy of prior notification, and expect him to keep quiet. Argue with your keyboard till tomorrow.

I don't need to shout whether I'm Christian or not, but I just made my point. The church doesn't operate the same system with the world, and it's bound to offend MANY people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by NevetsIbot(m): 5:47pm On Dec 20, 2019
PrayerSlayer1:

Lol. I only deduced that from your statement. "I'm a Christian but I hate fanaticism and bigotry", bla, bla. You don't need to tell us you're Christian. Just make your point and move on, OK?

As for me, Pastor did what he's supposed to do. He's the shepherd of that assembly. He doesn't answer to social media and internet warriors. He answers to God. You can't do that in any sane church without at least giving the leader the courtesy of prior notification, and expect him to keep quiet. Argue with your keyboard till tomorrow.

I don't need to shout whether I'm Christian or not, but I just made my point. The church doesn't operate the same system with the world, and it's bound to offend MANY people.

Man.. you didn't need to shout or insinuate that you're a Christian.. I also reserve my right to declare that I'm one..

What is on ground is just us having different views on a topic... You didn't need to tell me I'm not something I am.

Good evening
Re: Man Who Was Stopped By A Pastor From Proposing To Girlfriend In A Church Speaks by Hahjascho(m): 9:08pm On Dec 20, 2019
So you think church is ShopRite??
grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Many Memes For My Redpill Guys. Get In Here. / Groom Kissing His 2 Brides: My First Time Seeing This type Of Romance / 52-year-old South African Virgin Woman Who Says She’s Has Never Kissed Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.