Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,803 members, 7,956,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:50 PM

Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics (32577 Views)

Eko Atlantic City (updates) / See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) / Africa's Most Beautiful City In Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 10:54am On Apr 16, 2013
@Fake Londoner
Dude everyone knows by now that Afrikaners ur talking about make up 2,7million people. While South Africans of British descent make up 1,6million. Most of these are OLD above 60+ years old, half of the white population overall is old.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 10:57am On Apr 16, 2013
take a chill bill?Isn't not pill shocked
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 11:06am On Apr 16, 2013
@Londoner
Ha ha you're proving your stupidity here. Under Apartheid Nazi laws the Indians,coloureds,blacks were grouped together lived side by side in townships. Have you heard of Phoenix in Durban next to Umlazi. Hence today a billion rand project is under construction.

Note the Apartheid system looked down on other Europeans as well, non Germanic people like Greeks,Portugese etc..were looked down upon. Hence you had Tsafendas yes the man that killed Verwoed.

THE PROJECT IS CALLED BRIDGE CITY.

Ha ha you're an OLD ASSHOLE.Thats the history lesson brought to you by a young man born in the 80s.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 11:10am On Apr 16, 2013
@Londoner
The Indian community in SA live among blacks and coloureds while some have worked their way up to suburbs. Around Durban you find alot of Zulus with Indian ancestry thru intermarriage of these groups.
wink wink
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 11:15am On Apr 16, 2013
@Londoner
Dick face follow this link.

BRIDGE CITY built for the masses.

http://www.bridgecity.co.za/about-bridge-city/maps-location/
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 11:40am On Apr 16, 2013
@Londoner
Everyone in SA knows the non whites worked as hard labour and laid tar roads,built skyscrapers remembers there no machinery then, built harbours and airports. Minister of Trade and Industry Mike Davis said in FIFA 2010 world cup construction of (roads, airports,hotels,hospitals etc..) history was repeated. SA used its own labour and Engineers,Architects etc...unlike up north countries who use Chinese/FONG KONGS.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 10:18am On Apr 17, 2013
CAPE TOWNS RANDOM DEVELOPMENTS grin
AYOBAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1604560
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 10:24am On Apr 17, 2013
CAPE TOWNS FUTURE DEVELOMENTS

MERGING THE CITY WITH THE PEOPLE wink The oil findings(Namibia and west coast of SA and other parts of our waters) will make this project easier for the state. Yes I mentioned Namibia because theyr one of our provinces/states we share alot in common language and alles. Their oil findings has led us to our findings that we had oil in the ATLANTIC OCEAN, Orange Basin and Outeniqua Basin and on the INDIAN OCEAN Mozambiques and Madagascar(21bbl of oil) findings have led us to findings in Zululand coast.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1435548
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 11:38am On Apr 17, 2013
AFRICAS RECENT OIL FINDINGS might affect Nigerias oil prices(might force them to drink it) grin

CENTRAL AFRICA
DRC,Congo Brazzaville,Gabon,Equitorial Guinea all have oil. I wont dwell on them. wink

EAST AFRICA OIL
This regions population has overtaken west africa is projected to double the size of west africa in 2050.
Kenya=10 billion barrels
Ethiopia=2 billion barrels untapped
Somalia=11 billion barrels unapped(Italy is back offering em help to rebuild their country).
Tanzania=5 billion barrels

SOUTHERN AFRICA OIL
Namibia=18-166 billion of original oil(seen as next Norway)
South Africa=12-30 billion barrels untapped secret, built Mthombo and Coega for this.
Mozambique=17 billion barrels

Videocon's Mozambique block finds 17bn barrels of oil
Markets And Macros at 14 March 2013 11:00 am
SHARE . EMAIL . PRINT . A+

Gas company Anadarko has discovered a substantial quantity of gas in two gas wells off the coast of Mozambique. India's Videocon and BPCL, both have 10% stake in those gas wells and it is being considered as one of the largest gas finds in the world.

Anadarko informed that its Atum Discovery Well encountered 92 metres gas pay. Atum and Golfinho gas wells are also believed to hold 10-30 Tcf of gas. The company further told that the offshore Area I Recoverable Resource is approaching 100 Tcf of gas.

In an interview with CNBC-TV18, Venugopal Dhoot, CMD, Videocon is elated with the discovery and says that it is indeed a very good news for the country . He said that the exploration could lead to the procurement of as much as 17 billion barrels of oil and India is eligible for a 20% share.

Dhoot further added that the Rovuma Area I is one of the largest ever gas finds globally. However, only two-third of Rovuma's area has been drilled and further drilling is expected in the second half of CY12. Although, the company has not fixed any timeline for oil and gas demerger, Dhoot calculates the NPV(Net Present Value) of Videocon's stake in the Mozambique block at USD 6.5 billion.

Below is the edited transcript of the interview on CNBC-TV18. Also watch the accompanying videos.

Q: Can you tell us about the discovery off the coast of Mozambique? What is the amount that Anadarko is talking about?

A: It's a very good news for India. India will be having 20% of the gas. Anadarko said that about 60 tcf of gas has been found and it is approaching the recoverable 60 trillion and it is approaching towards 100 trillion recovered reserve. It is equal to 17 billion barrels of oil and Videocon and BPCL both have 20% share in the gas well.

It's a very big find and very big news. I should say this is one of the largest gas find in the world as on today and from the beginning Mozambique field has been very successful to Videocon and it started from 10 Tcf and now it is talking about 100 Tcf. This is enviable to any gas producer in the world.

Q: Just wanted to come down with regards to the 10% stake that Videocon holds in this oil discovery. What exactly would it value your stake at this point in time and give us a sense in terms of the modalities of the possible demerger of your oil and gas business? Where would all of this stand now?

A: That demerger will come later. I think NPV calculation at today's rate should come to around USD 6.5 billion for Videocon. It's a great news. It's a great success. That should be the value and our other partners would also benefit.

This is just the beginning. Just one-third area of Mozambique has been discovered so far. Mozambique is now approaching to be as big as Qatar and it is good news for Videocon and India.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 11:39am On Apr 17, 2013
AFRICAS RECENT OIL FINDINGS might affect Nigerias oil prices(might force them to drink it) grin

CENTRAL AFRICA
DRC,Congo Brazzaville,Gabon,Equitorial Guinea all have oil. I wont dwell on them. wink

EAST AFRICA OIL
This regions population has overtaken west africa is projected to double the size of west africa in 2050.
Kenya=10 billion barrels
Ethiopia=2 billion barrels untapped
Somalia=11 billion barrels unapped(Italy is back offering em help to rebuild their country).
Tanzania=5 billion barrels

SOUTHERN AFRICA OIL
Namibia=18-166 billion of original oil(seen as next Norway)
South Africa=12-30 billion barrels untapped secret, built Mthombo and Coega for this.
Mozambique=17 billion barrels
Madagascar=21 billion barrels untapped

Videocon's Mozambique block finds 17bn barrels of oil
Markets And Macros at 14 March 2013 11:00 am
SHARE . EMAIL . PRINT . A+

Gas company Anadarko has discovered a substantial quantity of gas in two gas wells off the coast of Mozambique. India's Videocon and BPCL, both have 10% stake in those gas wells and it is being considered as one of the largest gas finds in the world.

Anadarko informed that its Atum Discovery Well encountered 92 metres gas pay. Atum and Golfinho gas wells are also believed to hold 10-30 Tcf of gas. The company further told that the offshore Area I Recoverable Resource is approaching 100 Tcf of gas.

In an interview with CNBC-TV18, Venugopal Dhoot, CMD, Videocon is elated with the discovery and says that it is indeed a very good news for the country . He said that the exploration could lead to the procurement of as much as 17 billion barrels of oil and India is eligible for a 20% share.

Dhoot further added that the Rovuma Area I is one of the largest ever gas finds globally. However, only two-third of Rovuma's area has been drilled and further drilling is expected in the second half of CY12. Although, the company has not fixed any timeline for oil and gas demerger, Dhoot calculates the NPV(Net Present Value) of Videocon's stake in the Mozambique block at USD 6.5 billion.

Below is the edited transcript of the interview on CNBC-TV18. Also watch the accompanying videos.

Q: Can you tell us about the discovery off the coast of Mozambique? What is the amount that Anadarko is talking about?

A: It's a very good news for India. India will be having 20% of the gas. Anadarko said that about 60 tcf of gas has been found and it is approaching the recoverable 60 trillion and it is approaching towards 100 trillion recovered reserve. It is equal to 17 billion barrels of oil and Videocon and BPCL both have 20% share in the gas well.

It's a very big find and very big news. I should say this is one of the largest gas find in the world as on today and from the beginning Mozambique field has been very successful to Videocon and it started from 10 Tcf and now it is talking about 100 Tcf. This is enviable to any gas producer in the world.

Q: Just wanted to come down with regards to the 10% stake that Videocon holds in this oil discovery. What exactly would it value your stake at this point in time and give us a sense in terms of the modalities of the possible demerger of your oil and gas business? Where would all of this stand now?

A: That demerger will come later. I think NPV calculation at today's rate should come to around USD 6.5 billion for Videocon. It's a great news. It's a great success. That should be the value and our other partners would also benefit.

This is just the beginning. Just one-third area of Mozambique has been discovered so far. Mozambique is now approaching to be as big as Qatar and it is good news for Videocon and India.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 12:12pm On Apr 17, 2013
In SA we celebrate MIXED HOUSING projects that will benefit the POOR like CORNUBIA, BRIDGE CITY, WESCAPE HOUSING, WALMER LINK etc..not skyscrapers that will be living foreign investors from Europe.

BRIDGE CITY
Built for the masses(Indians and blacks placed by apartheid in Phoenix and Umlazi).

http://www.bridgecity.co.za/news-details/2009/aug/20/bridge-city-durban-the-opportunity-to-invest-is-now/9/
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 9:13pm On Apr 17, 2013
Dude for Bleep's sake! Granted Nigeria is a bleeped up country I wouldn't mind blasting off the face of the earth with Kim Jong-Un's nukes, it's still better than all those countries you've been spewing.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 8:01am On Apr 22, 2013
@All4Naija
Greetings hope ur fine u and ur crew.

Last week u mentioned the SIZE AND SCALE of your project Eko Atlantic compared to the projects I send ya'll.

WELL LETS COMPARE THE SIZES SINCE U WANT US TO DO THIS.
I'll start with one of the projects I sent.

AMAZULU WORLD/MACAMBINI PROJECT
SIZE=16500 hectares/165 million squares
We're busy with this project and not making noise.

Follow link
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=734138&page=2

NOTE:EKO ATLANTIC
SIZE= 5million squares, its a BABY COMPARED TO AMAZULU WORLD
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 8:09am On Apr 22, 2013
@All4Naija
NOTE THIS IS A CITY BUILT FROM SCRATCH NORTH OF DURBAN(Durbs is receiving its own projects like the waterfront and centrum).

CHALLENGE The challenge for the 16,500-hectare (40,590-acre) property was to create a new city and environment for over 400,000 residents on an existing veld (grassland) populated by giraffe, zebra, springbok and crocodiles. The site is next to the Indian Ocean, 40 minutes north of the new King Shaka International Airport, near Durban.

SOLUTION AmaZulu Valley is a visionary project that will embody the ideal of an African renaissance that has relevance to today's awareness of conservation as well as the intrinsic qualities of the Zulu culture. Taking inspiration from the Zulus belief of stewardship of the land a storyline was created based on the elements of earth, wind, fire and water. This vision creates an opportunity to utilize many revolutionary sustainable design elements. A manmade lake becomes the focus of the heart of the master plan including theme parks, a city walk, iconic hotels and a downtown office development. The site is 40% developed while 60% open, green space is preserved to allow the wild animals' access around the site to existing grazing and water.

SIZE 16,500 Hectares/165million sqaures

AMENITIES King Shaka Zulu cultural center, theme park, water park, city walk, urban core, hotels, resorts and spas, sports village, golf courses, marina, residential developments, offices, education facilities and eleven Zulu villages.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 8:09am On Apr 22, 2013
@All4Naija
NOTE THIS IS A CITY BUILT FROM SCRATCH NORTH OF DURBAN(Durbs is receiving its own projects like the waterfront and centrum).

CHALLENGE The challenge for the 16,500-hectare (40,590-acre) property was to create a new city and environment for over 400,000 residents on an existing veld (grassland) populated by giraffe, zebra, springbok and crocodiles. The site is next to the Indian Ocean, 40 minutes north of the new King Shaka International Airport, near Durban.

SOLUTION AmaZulu Valley is a visionary project that will embody the ideal of an African renaissance that has relevance to today's awareness of conservation as well as the intrinsic qualities of the Zulu culture. Taking inspiration from the Zulus belief of stewardship of the land a storyline was created based on the elements of earth, wind, fire and water. This vision creates an opportunity to utilize many revolutionary sustainable design elements. A manmade lake becomes the focus of the heart of the master plan including theme parks, a city walk, iconic hotels and a downtown office development. The site is 40% developed while 60% open, green space is preserved to allow the wild animals' access around the site to existing grazing and water.

SIZE 16,500 Hectares/165million squares

AMENITIES King Shaka Zulu cultural center, theme park, water park, city walk, urban core, hotels, resorts and spas, sports village, golf courses, marina, residential developments, offices, education facilities and eleven Zulu villages.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 12:00pm On Apr 30, 2013
POVERTY IN SOUTH AFRICA.
Less than 5% of our population. By 2030 SA will have the highest NEW MIDDLE CLASS in AFRICA. HDI index will be the highest in Africa.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/138243911/Extreme-poverty
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by londoner: 4:19am On May 02, 2013
OLD MAN am sure am blogging with an OLD PITCH BLACK MONKEY here, Eko Atlantic is about the same as the DURBAN POINT WATERFRONT ON THE TIP OF DRUBAN HARBOUR. Guest wat we didn't call that area Ushaka Marine City because we wanted to get peoples attention. No we'rent desparate for attention. PEOPLE(12million tourists) FROM ALL OVER THE GLOBE COME COME TO SOUTH AFRICA BECAUSE THEY KNOW ABOUT THE COUNTRIES NATURAL BEAUTY. WE HAVE THE TABLE MOUNTAIN, ROBBEN ISLAND, CANGO CAVES, CRADLE OF HUMANKIND etc..list is endless.We're approaching winter we're gonna get tourists who will be participating in SNOW SKIING.[/quote]

Ghana dude.......we dont need your support or thumbs up.....we are doing us and whether you like am or u no like am.....we go continue

I live in Australia at the moment and lived in London because I was born and raised there. that is why my name here is londoner, because thats what I am.

I am also a proud Nigerian and (plan to relocate back at some point), so what you think of us does not matter. looking at your rantings you are clearly unstable and uncomfortable that Nigeria is even attempting eko atlantic. We already have movers and shakers backing Nigeria, from SA too.......

BTW, many SA's are even moving to Australia.....when I ak them why, its because althoyugh it is a beautiful place it is too unsafe for them to continue living there. All that you claim glitters is not gold. I know SA is beautiful, but I would be afraid to visit becaus it is also featured year after year high on the list of crime capitals, both in terms of violence and rape.

You may not have boko haram, but it is still an unsafe place to live by many accounts. this is from Saffers, whether black, coloured or white.

You will remember on one of the other threads you created I aske you whether you were a ghanaian or Saffer.....do you know why I asked? because that whiney nature is an unmistakable trait of nationals of either country where Naija is concerned.

Yes SA has tourists, but my friend not too many years ago......you would not have even been permitted to enter those places with your black behind....lol.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by londoner: 4:20am On May 02, 2013
Back to topic....lagos is moving and Nigeria is waking up.....unwards we go!
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by londoner: 4:23am On May 02, 2013
AwodwaGyanOniwe: @Fake Londoner
Dude everyone knows by now that Afrikaners ur talking about make up 2,7million people. While South Africans of British descent make up 1,6million. Most of these are OLD above 60+ years old, half of the white population overall is old.

And yet they made you underlings in your own country.....my point exactly!
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by londoner: 4:26am On May 02, 2013
AwodwaGyanOniwe: @Londoner
The Indian community in SA live among blacks and coloureds while some have worked their way up to suburbs. Around Durban you find alot of Zulus with Indian ancestry thru intermarriage of these groups.
wink wink

Can you hear yourself........apartheid nazi laws........in your own country where Blacks were the majority? Shame on you to deny what your ancestors endured!

Stop the lies...during aparteid people were classified by race and skin colour. there were four separate racial classifications....black, coloured, asian and white, or are you denying that?

The coloured and Indians were above full blacks....and ALL of the aforementioned were BELOW whites (the minority oh).

We all witnessed what went on and it is well documented, so stop the lies in 2013.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 1:28pm On May 02, 2013
@Londoner
LET ME ASSUME THAT YOU ARE A 60 YEAR OLD AND THINK ABOUT HISTORY EVERYTIME.

Let me tell u this that in all SA cities that blacks,coloureds,Indians lived and live side by side. While whites lived in towns. Again these DIVISIONS were done to separate these people if u watched movie called SEPARATE BUT EQUAL u'd know what I mean. Lastly the WORLD knows about Mahatma Gandhi and what he fought against, only u who thinks Indians were equals to whites.

Enuf of that history crap its 2013 fr heavens sake.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 1:38pm On May 02, 2013
@FakeLondoner
Theres no NEWS HERE PASS!!!!!!Am sure what u said was meant to offend me OLD MAN.

Well it doesn't as I wasn't born when apartheid took place. I and many young SANS have ZERO MEMORIES of it.

Let me remind u that between 1994-2012 over 1 million whites left SA some couldn't stand being controlled by blacks and other non whites. Today former whites only schools are 80% black all over the country in small towns its WORSE. Most are 100% black.

Talking of the socalled SAFFERS most will tell u straight Nigerian face that SA isn't the same as we have allowed FOREIGNERS/African Immigrants into the country. Most HATE NIGERIANS like most people around the world. I know some Nigerians try to make friends with them but fail in vein as most SA whites make friends with other esp. Australians and New Zealanders. Yes they can befriend a Nigerian for a mission USE him as they did during the ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE where Africans were sold by other Africans to whites. In the end whitemen gained labour while these African sellouts continued to be POOR UNTIL TODAY. wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 1:42pm On May 02, 2013
@Londoner
This project below makes your claim STUPID.
Here theyr merging a Black township and Indian township. If u go to Durban today and visit these Indian townships Chatsworth, Phoenix etc..you'll find ZULUS there.Some have intermarried with Indians.

Your textbooks OLD MEN FAILED U.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=433782&page=5
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 1:47pm On May 02, 2013
@FakeLondoner
OLD MAN YOU'RE TALKING CR@P HERE. HERES AN EXAMPLE OF ZULU AND INDIAN MARRIAGE THERES MANY OF THESE IN DURBAN. Am sure DSTV is fucking u up in this case eNCA(minority groups station) makes u think otherwise.

http://www.northcoastcourier.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/lloyd.cele2-Small.jpg
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 1:48pm On May 02, 2013
@FakeLondoner
Pls NEW MODERN STORIES NOT OLD LAME TALES. grin grin grin grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 1:53pm On May 02, 2013
@FakeLondoner
Lastly Idnt give a toss about APARTHEID BENEFITIARIES views about SA especially if u say theyr in NZ,Australia,UK etc..these are the same people who say that NIGERIANS ARE ALL DRUG SMUGGLERS. They wont say it infront of u but behind your back...
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 1:56pm On May 02, 2013
@FakeLondoner
I won't say you're ILLITERATE but say this below was a mistake grin grin grin grin grin grin grin You guys pronounce words FUNNY. Example ASK IS AKS[/b][b] grin grin grin grin grin grin ;DNigerian English makes me laugh.
"Back to topic....lagos is moving and Nigeria is waking up.....unwards we go!"
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 1:58pm On May 02, 2013
@FakeLondoner
Please tell us the WORLD or other AFRICAN COUNTRIES ARE WAITING OR REVERSING while Nigeria is in going foward in FLAMES.[/b][b]OGA WE WANNA LAUGH SAY THE WORLD IS WAITING FOR NAIJA?? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 2:31pm On May 02, 2013
@Patriot
Most academics say Nigeria has overtaken SA in AIDS, one Nigerian state Benue counted over 1million AIDS patients. Most believe there are more AIDS patients in Lagos,Kano etc...While a UCT research showed that Nigeria and India will overtake SA in AIDS in 2013 end of the year. Their research showed that Nigerias AIDS stats are based on 20% that was tested. MEANING THERE ARE MANY SICK MR IBUH HERE. grin grin grin

NIGERIA TO OVERTAKE SOUTH AFRICA IN HIV+ AIDS
http://www.nigeriadailynews.com/latest-additions/70148-%E2%80%98nigeria-may-overtake-s%E2%80%99africa-on-hiv%E2%80%99.html
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 11:47am On May 06, 2013
@Londoner

THE RAINBOW NATION

Durban's 'white' suburbs are now 'black'

It is official: the affluent formerly white suburbs of Kloof and Durban North are now dominated by black Africans, and townships like KwaMashu and uMlazi are sparsely scattered with white residents.

Senior ANC leaders visited Nelson Mandela at his home in Houghton a few weeks after he was discharged from hospital. ANC deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa and chairwoman Baleka Mbete stand behind President Jacob Zuma and Mandela.

The 2011 National Census results, broken down into suburb-specific detail, were released yesterday, and the key migratory patterns observed throughout the country since the previous census in 2001 are just as prevalent in KwaZuluNatal, as a stronger black middle class emerges.

The figures show that there are now almost 16 000 black Africans living in Kloof, as opposed to just more than 10 000 white residents. Black Africans make up 54 percent of Kloof residents, while coloureds, Indians and whites account for just 1, 11 and 34 percent respectively. In Durban North, black Africans also outnumber their white counterparts, although not by much, making up 37 percent of the population, compared with 32 percent. The Indian population in Durban North is also closing in on that of whites, now at 25 percent.

Dr Arulsivanathan Naidoo, the head of Stakeholder Relations at Stats SA, said yesterday that this trend mirrored that which was taking place throughout South Africa.

"Since the start of our democracy until 2001, when the previous census was held, there was not much change in terms of migration patterns and suburb population dynamics. However, in the 10 years from 2001 until 2011, the last census, there has been a lot of change, and this recent census is the first real accurate count between those two points."

Naidoo said that the black Africans that were moving into the formerly white suburbs were bringing with them higher incomes and education levels. Black Africans were also catching up to the numbers of their white counterparts in Westville and Morningside.

Chatsworth is still dominated by Indians, who make up 60 percent of the population, but 38 percent - or 75 004 residents - are now black Africans.

The statistics also show that KwaMashu, although having a 99 percent black African population, also has 145 white residents. A total of 1 457 Indian and 303 coloureds also live in KwaMashu.

Similarly, uMlazi, with a total population of over 400 000, has 285 white, 999 Indian and 578 coloured residents. Durban's statistics also showed that 48 percent of both uMhlanga and Hillcrest residents had completed some higher education, followed by 47 percent of Westville residents.

Higher education levels in KwaMashu, uMlazi, Phoenix and Chatsworth ranged from 9 to 12 percent.

However, KwaMashu households have the highest percentage of married residents over the age of 16, with 97 percent. By comparison, only 82 percent of Morningside households are occupied by married couples.

Naidoo said the latest census statistics at suburb level showed a decrease in the number of people in South Africa living without basic essentials such as water and electricity.

"The quality of life generally has improved throughout the country, with more people now having access to basic services," he said. However, there were still small pockets of people who had not seen an improvement in their living standards.

The Mercury

Posted at 08:36AM Apr 30, 2013 by Editor in Durban |
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by kwamenkria: 8:28am On Jun 10, 2013
[b][b]SAD NEWS JEALOUS NIGERIANS

JOBURG, DURBAN (AmaZulu World is on, plan is to host Olympics world will vote for us), CAPE TOWN (cheeky premier wants to do massive up grades here, create our own dream land, we can beat DUBAI), PRETORIA WILL RECEIVE MAJOR UPGRADES.
THESE PROJECTS WILL BE RUN IN HOUSE NO "CHINESE INVOLVED". SOUTH AFRICA WILL BE USING ITS OWN ARCHITECTS, ENGINEERS, TOWN PLANNERS, LAND SURVEYORS ETC...

Plans to turn Johannesburg into Africa’s ‘New York’

Agence France-Presse
11:48 am | Sunday, June 9th, 2013
19 69 21

Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) members protest against the electronic road tolling system whilst traffic moves slowly on the motorway, in Johannesburg, South Africa, Friday, May 31, 2013. Protesters oppose the electronic tolling system in Gauteng by the government road agency South African National Roads Agency Limited, SANRAL which aims to see Gauteng’s road users billed electronically when using the province’s highways. (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe)

JOHANNESBURG — City authorities in Johannesburg, South Africa’s economic hub, have unveiled an ambitious plan to undo urban inequalities of the apartheid era and turn the continent’s wealthiest city into the “New York of Africa”.

City mayor Parks Tau says the 10-year scheme, which is set to cost some (10 billion euros), will lead to a “new era” for Johannesburg and its 4.4 million inhabitants.

Plans are on the cards for an extensive new road and railroad network, better houses and revamped buildings to spruce up the city, originally built on a gold rush in the late 19th century.

The inspiration for change is the cosmopolitan New York City in the United States, with its attractive bridges, roads and efficient subway network and parks.

“We are re-inventing the city of Johannesburg,” Tau said. “We are turning this city into a New York of Africa,” he added.

Officials say the project will correct urban planning dating back to white minority rule, which pushed designated black areas to the outskirts of the city, with poor access to transport and other infrastructure and services.

“This is a major step in reversing the inequalities caused by the apartheid regime,” Tau told AFP.

In some cases, commuting between the city centre and northern suburbs currently takes up to nearly two hours.

A network of enhanced public transportation enabling people in outlying areas to make connections by trains, buses and taxis will be established, together with cycle paths.

Alison Todes of the University of Witwatersrand’s School of Architecture argues that the time has come for an efficient transport system that will also help reduce the city’s carbon footprint.

“The city is quite spread out and a lot of people use private cars. Less travel time and less cars on the road will also be good for the environment,” Todes said.

The launch three years ago of a high speed train service linking Johannesburg and the administrative capital Pretoria was a milestone in providing efficient public transport.

But the train serves limited routes and high fares make it inaccessible to the bulk of the working class, who rely on crowded privately-run minibus taxis and ageing state-owned metro trains.

“Our economy is growing, so we saw a need to prioritise investment on infrastructure to boost the economic capacity of the city,” Tau said.

The city will finance the renovations from its own coffers.

Despite its established wealth, boasting the largest concentration of dollar millionaires in the country, parts of Johannesburg are dirt poor.

Clusters of palatial homes protected by gates and electric fences stand side-by-side with sprawling slums that have no running water and sanitation.

Nearly half a million of Johannesburg’s population lives in informal housing. Some have been on a waiting list for state-subsidised houses for 15 years.

Almost a fifth of the total renovation budget will be channelled to low-cost housing schemes dubbed “corridors of freedom”.

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/423311/plans-to-turn-johannesburg-into-africas-new-york#ixzz2VnNOjv9H
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook[/b][/b] grin grin grin grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by kwamenkria: 8:31am On Jun 10, 2013
ALL4NAIJA
I WILL BE SHOWING YOU 3D RENDERS OF NEW GEE PEEE, JOZI A.K.A. GOLD CITY THATS JOBURG FOR U MUDFACE!!!!!!
Soon we South Africans in the ENGINEERING AND BUILT ENVIRONMENT will be discussing this on www.skyscrapercity.com not FOOLS PARADISE nairaland. Where VILLAGERS hang and FOOL themselves.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Poor State Of Umuahia/lkwuano-lkot Ekpene Road (Pictures) / Nigerian Arrested For Registering British Couple As Baby’s Parents (Pictured) / S. African Airways Reveals Upgraded Stylish Johannesburg Airport Lounge (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.