Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,193 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics (32341 Views)

Eko Atlantic City (updates) / See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) / Africa's Most Beautiful City In Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by MzGreat(f): 5:07pm On Dec 08, 2010
EKO O NI BAJE O

ACN DEMOCRACY FOREVER
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by kaypinchi(m): 5:14pm On Dec 08, 2010
@poster,

Can you inform us on the private sector companies pushing this project?
What roles would the LASG be playing in all this?

It would be nice to see the 'New Lagos' in this realm in our lifetime.

Poor stakeholder management has always been the cog in the wheel of development in our land. The Lekki-Epe expressway by LCC is an example.

Let us pray.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 5:25pm On Dec 08, 2010
who cares. this shytt is not built for the common man in nigeria (all 150 million of them).
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by kaypinchi(m): 5:27pm On Dec 08, 2010
audio:

Where is the electricity to power this project going to come from? Or is it Eko Atlantic Generator City?
grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by MaJBlige(f): 5:37pm On Dec 08, 2010
150 million common men in Nigeria! LOL.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 5:43pm On Dec 08, 2010
Ma_J_Blige:

150 million common men in Nigeria! LOL.
yup. how many nigerians can afford to pay $400 a night to stay in the hotels that will be created in this project ? less than 1 million nigerians. so that makes the remaining 150 million, common men. this is just another case of the rich putting their hands in each others pockets.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by occam(m): 5:58pm On Dec 08, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Even though it is wholly private?

Well in this video (link below) Gov Fashola clearly implies it's a partnership between public & private sector. So which part of the project is private? and Gov Fashola  even says "I've taken it on as my baby to deliver it" does he mean Lagos state govt is on the hook for funding?

http://www.ekoatlantic.com/videogallery/videogallery.htm
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by hackney(m): 6:16pm On Dec 08, 2010
Hopefully this project will carry on even after fashola's tenure.

The change of office batton period is usually when billions are looted and the two will blame each other.
And when two elephants fight. . . . . .

Hopefully this wont be the case because nigeria has seen enough of that.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by DamiKhojie(m): 6:37pm On Dec 08, 2010
It'll be interesting to see if this can be finished and maintained if so it'd be really beneficial for the area.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Pame(m): 7:05pm On Dec 08, 2010
ROSSIKE, THIS IS QUITE GOOD FROM U LOVE THIS POSTING, CAN WE STILL RECEIVE MORE PICS OF THE PROJECT IF U DONT MIND, AM GOOD-PICS FREAKED

THANKS
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 08, 2010
BUZUGEE SAID:

yup. how many nigerians can afford to pay $400 a night to stay in the hotels that will be created in this project ? less than 1 million nigerians. so that makes the remaining 150 million, common men. this is just another case of the rich putting their hands in each others pockets.

Some of you guys lack basic analytical skills. Tell me, what about the tens of thousands of JOBS that would be created to service this area? Is unemployment not among our biggest problems today?

Instead of thinking ''how many Nigerians can afford the $400 per night hotels'', why not think about the number of  JOBS that will be provided for people who will WORK in those establishments?

That is how you assess projects.

There's no country on earth where majority of the people can afford $400 a night hotels. The reason such high end facilities are established is based on demand by those who CAN afford them, allied to the employment opportunities, economic activity, and capital influx generated  by their establishment, which serve to raise standards of living in the wider society. Hence we in fact need MORE of such projects. The more the merrier.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by congoshine(m): 8:04pm On Dec 08, 2010
Lets hope we don't have another Tinapa on our hands. . .
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Reference(m): 8:20pm On Dec 08, 2010
Johnie, the summary of what I am saying is that I appreciate investment of whatever kind, moreso when it seeks to tackle immediate challenges such as the bar beach erosion and Island accommodation but what I also advocate is caution. Whenever you take nature head long you do so at enormous risk. We should not allow our hunger for development to becloud sound judgment. Global warming coupled with ocean level rises is real and while I am not a blind environmental activist I believe the truth lies somewhere between complacency and hysteria.

I just think Lekki is far too low lying to survive going far forward. There are places you stand with a GPS and it is flat zero ABSL. The rainy season also proves it is just a matter of time. It may not have mattered when the artificial peninsula was created thirty years ago but it matters today. What factors will threaten Eko Atlantic tomorrow? I don't know but if you have ultra long-term plans then it matters. Do your study diligently. Most who purchase Lekki today don't know, probably don't want to know and are at best short to medium term planners. To be close to Victoria Island/Ikoyi and for business reasons the peninsula is crowding. Is it right? yes and no. Does it matter? Ask the Lagos state government. What we don't want to see in the future is another similar bar beach like battle to save Lekki and God forbid a third battle to save Eko Atlantic in sixty to eighty years.

Earlier someone mentioned Dutch consultants. They have done a great job in Holland like in Venice and New Orleans but when you consider the cost of keeping those waves at bay a country like Nigeria will surely balk at it. Let us not over estimate our abilities. Cheers.

P.S. If you've been away from the island for a couple of years like I have and get down to those Lekki beaches you will understand what I am saying. I noticed on a program on local telly a few weeks ago the distance between the waves and the tree line over the presenter's shoulders and was quite alarmed. I know that spot very well. What can I say.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by okooyinbo(m): 8:31pm On Dec 08, 2010
Quote from: johnie on Today at 10:09:24
I have also wondered what the environmental impact of this project would be on settlements further down the coastline specifically along the Lekki corridor.

With the proposed embankment, Victoria Island should be protected from sea surge and other similar threats but won't this result in more frequent and more significant impact of surges to the lekki peninsular.  If due care is not taken, the peninsular could be reduced to a string of islets or atolls.
Why would this happen? The waves will crash on EA's barrier as usual, but rather than carrying away sand and dirt, they'll carry away nothing. Why would this result in more surges elsewhere?

I'm not some sort of ocean scientist, but it doesn't make sense to me why this would happen. You build a barrier in one place for the ocean to crash on, and it causes more activity elsewhere? Seems kind of weird, no?

The questions posted is quite logical. Lets forget about global warming and the subsequent melting of the glaciers and therefore the rise in sea level for a moment. Take for instance a jar of water or if you like a bowl. Put an "embarkment in it, and fill the embarked part with sand, what do you think would happen to the water in the bowl? Will it level rise or not? Now, lets assume the volume of sand used for filling equals that of the water replacing the sand taken, what about the stones used for the embarkment? They are definitely not from the sea, hence, they are indeed displacing some water for real. Since the water displaced still remain part of the ocean, it subsequently does lead to the rise in sea level.

And now that there is a scientific evidence that suggest that the sea level has been rising due to global warming, it is therefore right to ask about the danger of building massively on such a reclaimed land. We should always remember that Tsumani is not limited to the Asian pacific regions only. Every regions of the world is at risk, albeit with a varying degree of threat.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 8:46pm On Dec 08, 2010
ROSSIKE:

BUZUGEE SAID:

Some of you guys lack basic analytical skills. Tell me, what about the tens of thousands of JOBS that would be created to service this area? Is unemployment not among our biggest problems today?

Instead of thinking ''how many Nigerians can afford the $400 per night hotels'', why not think about the number of  JOBS that will be provided for people who will WORK in those establishments?

That is how you assess projects.

There's no country on earth where majority of the people can afford $400 a night hotels. The reason such high end facilities are established is based on demand by those who CAN afford them, allied to the employment opportunities, economic activity, and capital influx generated  by their establishment, which serve to raise standards of living in the wider society. Hence we in fact need MORE of such projects. The more the merrier.

somebody break-out the cymbals and drums and guitars. lets make merry and celebrate. 1000 people are about to get jobs as waiters and cleaners and doormen and receptionists and room cleaners. your analytical skills is the one lacking. in the ladder of the life of a country, there are 10 rungs. to get to the top you climb from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 to 8 to 9 to 10. that is a solid foundation. you dont jump from 3 to 10. thats a shaky foundation. that money will be better spent laying the foundations for ALL industries to flourish. when ALL industries flourish, everyone gets employed into all kinds of positions, quite unlike this scheme that is beneficial only to a few while some other people get some crumbs to snack on (the waiters and busboys and doormen etc etc ).

lay down the foundation for all the industries to flourish. use that money to build wind turbines and solar stations so that light will never be a problem. only then will ALL industries flourish. use that money to better equip the police and get them siren cars so they can police effectively. only then will ALL industries flourish. use that money to fix all the roads. only then will ALL industries flourish. this nonsense they are doing is just a bunch of padis investing in each other amidst shaky foundations. nigeria is a nation of over 150 million not a few cronies and their padis. you cannot continue to build pies in the sky when everybody else is in need. maintain the stuff you currently have instead of building more. go to unilag and federal govt college ijanikin, those places look like dumps. they are derelict. maintain what you have. stop building new stuffs you will never maintain
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by InkedNerd(f): 8:49pm On Dec 08, 2010
The design plans for this project looks great.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by jrtorrents: 8:56pm On Dec 08, 2010
Am a Ghanaian and for the first time I think Nigerians ae doing a hell of a good job with this project.
Big ups Naija
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 9:08pm On Dec 08, 2010
this is like the behavior of the typical black man. while living in the projects you go and buy an escalade when the 50 grand for the escalade would have improved your living conditions.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by DapoBear(m): 9:31pm On Dec 08, 2010
audio:

Where is the electricity to power this project going to come from? Or is it Eko Atlantic Generator City?
Well, there is the Lagos-Escravos natural gas pipeline. So assuming the regulatory conditions for power generation are correct, they can source natural gas from that pipeline and generate power from it.

buzugee:

this is like the behavior of the typical black man. while living in the projects you go and buy an escalade when the 50 grand for the escalade would have improved your living conditions.
Do escalades attract wealthy businessmen, investors, and individuals who spend lots of money and thus boost the local economy? Perhaps your analogy is wrong.

johnie:

A chain is as strong as its weakest link. Strengthening some parts of the chain (fortifying EA) will only put more strain on the other parts of the chain (other parts of the shoreline). When the surge comes to EA and meets strong resistance, is bound to ripple down to the weaker portions of the shoreline putting even greater strain on these parts than before.

Funny, I learnt this from playing with sand and water as a kid wink
Hrm, ok. Doesn't completely make intuitive sense to me (you'd think the wave would expend more of its kinetic energy on the barrier and thus have less to spend elsewhere). But I'll take your word for it.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 9:36pm On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

Well, there is the Lagos-Escravos natural gas pipeline. So assuming the regulatory conditions for power generation are correct, they can source natural gas from that pipeline and generate power from it.
Do escalades attract wealthy businessmen, investors, and individuals who spend lots of money and thus boost the local economy? Perhaps your analogy is wrong.
Hrm, ok. Doesn't completely make intuitive sense to me (you'd think the wave would expend more of its kinetic energy on the barrier and thus have less to spend elsewhere). But I'll take your word for it.
wealthy businessmen ? nigeria is not a place you come for business if you dont initially have business there. those wealthy businessmen would have gone to sheraton or eko hotel or other places because they still have business dealings in nigeria. so the net gain to the economy is zero. nigeria is not and will never be a tourist spot. there are just too many desperate and hungry black people there for it to ever be a tourist spot. so i think my analogy is spot on. this will basically just be another location for the already rich in nigeria to relocate to. nothing more nothing less. lets just call it what it is. the 'relocation of the rich'
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by DapoBear(m): 9:49pm On Dec 08, 2010
buzugee:

wealthy businessmen ? nigeria is not a place you come for business if you dont initially have business there. those wealthy businessmen would have gone to sheraton or eko hotel or other places because they still have business dealings in nigeria. so the net gain to the economy is zero. nigeria is not and will never be a tourist spot. there are just too many desperate and hungry black people there for it to ever be a tourist spot. so i think my analogy is spot on. this will basically just be another location for the already rich in nigeria to relocate to. nothing more nothing less. lets just call it what it is. the 'relocation of the rich'

Even if what you say is true, that it will just be a bunch of already rich people in Nigeria relocating, what about the homes they have left? Doesn't this alleviate housing pressures elsewhere?

Anyway, I disagree with your assessment. If you can provide a world-class city in Nigeria with all of the facilities of a place like NYC, Los Angeles, or any of the other major cities in the world, this will be attractive to lots of Nigerians abroad. Like, me personally, I'd be pretty interested in living there.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 9:52pm On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

Even if what you say is true, that it will just be a bunch of already rich people in Nigeria relocating, what about the homes they have left? Doesn't this alleviate housing pressures elsewhere?

Anyway, I disagree with your assessment. If you can provide a world-class city in Nigeria with all of the facilities of a place like NYC, Los Angeles, or any of the other major cities in the world, this will be attractive to lots of Nigerians abroad. Like, me personally, I'd be pretty interested in living there.
the houses they left will be bought up by nigerians trying to relocate back home from abroad. most of those in nigeria cannot afford such homes. and lets get one thing straight here, most of those abroad cannot afford to live in this new place unless they are 419ers abroad or medical doctors in america. if you are earning anything less than $200,000 in america or less than 100,000 pounds in britain you better forget about living their. the house prices will probably start at 100 million naira. this is like 1 million dollars. grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by DapoBear(m): 9:55pm On Dec 08, 2010
buzugee:

the houses they left will be bought up by nigerians trying to relocate back home from abroad. most of those in nigeria cannot afford such homes.

So let's say this is all that happens. 200k rich Nigerians move to Eko Atlantic, 200k Nigerians abroad move back into Nigeria (who on average are fairly well off themselves.)

You see how this is a good thing, adding 200k well-off Nigerians from abroad who spend lots of money to your economy, right?
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 08, 2010
buzugee said:

somebody break-out the cymbals and drums and guitars. lets make merry and celebrate. 1000 people are about to get jobs as waiters and cleaners and doormen and receptionists and room cleaners.

Why are you thinking only of unskilled staff? Do you realise we have over 100 universities in Nigeria, and thus can provide the skilled staff to drive those establishments?

Thousands of Nigerians will be employed as lawyers, administrative staff, managers, bankers, insurance men, property agents, maintenance engineers, and so on and so forth, not just cleaners and drivers. And YES, we do need jobs for that class of workers too.

your analytical skills is the one lacking. in the ladder of the life of a country, there are 10 rungs. to get to the top you climb from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 to 8 to 9 to 10. that is a solid foundation. you dont jump from 3 to 10. thats a shaky foundation.

In other words you don't believe we are deserving of Eko Atlantic. I bet you think Abuja and Lagos as well are mistakes. Left to you we would all still be living in our village huts.

that money will be better spent laying the foundations for ALL industries to flourish. when ALL industries flourish, everyone gets employed into all kinds of positions

This development is geared to enhancing economic development and capital influx into the country as opposed to capital flight from the country. The more capital is attracted, the wealthier we become via inter alia the various taxes accruing to govt, as well as the greater opportunities for personal advancement offered by increased job opportunities.  

lay down the foundation for all the industries to flourish. use that money to build wind turbines and solar stations so that light will never be a problem.

Many projects are ongoing in the areas of electricity generation and so on. There's no reason why we need to stop everything until what you suggest is most important gets done. No country does that. Even India, with her power cuts and 500 million illiterates, is awash with  modern shopping malls, nearly 150 in Mumbai alone, as well as a variety of private capital driven economic projects -  a city filled with more than its fair share of slums. The result - poverty in India has HALVED in the last 10 years.

Lesson: You improve the lives of the people by enhancing economic activity through private sector participation, a task which need not be sacrificed for anything, including publicly funded infrastructural development.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 9:57pm On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

So let's say this is all that happens. 200k rich Nigerians move to Eko Atlantic, 200k Nigerians abroad move back into Nigeria (who on average are fairly well off themselves.)

You see how this is a good thing, adding 200k well-off Nigerians from abroad who spend lots of money to your economy, right?
lets get one thing straight. there are no 200k nigerians abroad who can afford to cash down 100,000,000 naira for a house in nigeria. this is 1 million dollars or about 800 thousand pounds. lets get that straight. you are not luring any nigerians to nigeria. all you are doing is providing a place for those who were already ready to come back home.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by DapoBear(m): 10:01pm On Dec 08, 2010
buzugee:

lets get one thing straight. there are no 200k nigerian abroad who can afford to cash down 100,000,000 naira for a house in nigeria. this is 1 million dollars or about 800 thousand pounds. lets get that staright

Alright, you pick the # of Nigerians abroad who move back who are added to the economy. Once you do so, we can continue this example.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 10:04pm On Dec 08, 2010
ROSSIKE:

buzugee said:

Why are you thinking only of unskilled staff? Do you realise we have over 100 universities in Nigeria, and thus can provide the skilled staff to drive those establishments?

Thousands of Nigerians will be employed as lawyers, administrative staff, managers, bankers, insurance men, property agents, maintenance engineers, and so on and so forth, not just cleaners and drivers. And YES, we do need jobs for that class of workers too.

In other words you don't believe we are deserving of Eko Atlantic. I bet you think Abuja and Lagos as well are mistakes. Left to you we would all still be living in our village huts.

This development is geared to enhancing economic development and capital influx into the country as opposed to capital flight from the country. The more capital is attracted, the wealthier we become via inter alia the various taxes accruing to govt, as well as the greater opportunities for personal advancement offered by increased job opportunities.  

Many projects are ongoing in the areas of electricity generation and so on. There's no rerason why we ned to stop everything until what you suggest is most important gets done. No country does that. Even India, with her 500 million illiterates is awash with  modern shopping malls and so on, nearly 150 in Mumbai alone, a city filled with more than its fair share of slums. The result - poverty in India has HALVED in the last 10 years.

Lesson: You improve the lives of the people by enhancing economic activity through private sector participation, a task which need not be sacrificed for anything, including publicly funded infrastructural development.

first part of your question, dude i know you have the skilled staff to drive that establishment. only problem is that establishment is looking for mostly unskilled staff.

if you think new jobs are going to be created for this new spot, then you have another think coming. the skilled job requirements of those places will simply be coalesced into already existing job markets like say for example,  the sale of property there will he handled by an already existing housing agent who was servicing other areas initially. nobody is forking out cash to new employees unless the investment capital is realised and considering this is being done in nigeria ? i will say it will be over 50 years before they can recoup on this here project.

are we deserving of eko atlantic ? a nation that cannot produce electricity, roads, water and university for its indigenes ? do you think we are deserving of it ?

capital influx ?? from where ? dont make me laugh. no oyinbo in his right mind will vacation in nigeria when he can go to the carribeans. all you are getting will be capital transfer from one person to another. no net gain

many projects are getting done and no need to stop them till the basic essentials needed to run projects are achieved ? well bruh lets see you try to build your house with no foundation. good luck on that. what happened to tinapa again and all the huge projects we undertook ? yeah they all went under

as per your LESSON, no you dont improve the peoples lives by enhancing economic activity via the private sector. the people do not want to be spoon-fed. you improve the people lives by providing the basic essentials as platform from which a smooth life can begin. the people will fill in the gaps after that. you just provide the basics of life. thats all the people need
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 10:17pm On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

Alright, you pick the # of Nigerians abroad who move back who are added to the economy. Once you do so, we can continue this example.
like i said, you are not luring anybody back with this pie in the sky project. the only thing that will lure people back are
1, good roads
2, well policed streets, where the police are paid well, no need for bribes, they have patrol cars with sirens and a number you can call for effective service if something happens
3, 24 hr electricity with no interruptions
4, good universities
5, steady water supply
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 10:24pm On Dec 08, 2010
now dont get me wrong now, i am not against the govt for not providing the basics for the people because i know the people are happy to provide these things for themselves as i will be too if i lived in nigeria. but my own argument is that if you have this kind of money lying around without taxing the people, why not use it for something that will keep on giving back ? the gift that keeps on giving back. like the basics of life. if the basics are realised, i can bet you that the unemployment rate in that country will drop down to single digits because people will fill in the gaps. nigerians are resourceful. why use the money on a gift that will not keep on giving ?
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by kokoye(m): 10:29pm On Dec 08, 2010
nice
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 10:32pm On Dec 08, 2010
buzugee said:

if you think new jobs are going to be created for this new spot, then you have another think coming. the skilled job requirements of those places will simply be coalesced into already existing job markets like say for example,  the sale of property there will he handled by an already existing housing agent who was servicing other areas initially. nobody is forking out cash to new employees unless the investment capital is realised and considering this is being done in nigeria ? i will say it will be over 50 years before they can recoup on this here project.

You've no idea what you're talking about. Already as we speak, firms around the globe are laying their stake on Eko Atlantic, and you're here saying no new jobs will be created? I really don't know where to start with you.  

are we deserving of eko atlantic ? a nation that cannot produce electricity, roads, water and university for its indigenes ? do you think we are deserving of it ?

Nigeria is a developing nation. We can and do produce electricity, roads, water and universities, so do not misrepresent us. Not to everyone's complete satisfaction as of yet, but still no reason not to improve and expand our economy. You do realise this project is private sector driven?

capital influx ?? from where ? dont make me laugh. no oyinbo in his right mind will vacation in nigeria when he can go to the carribeans.

No one is talking about ''vacationing in Nigeria''. Ever heard the words ''business'' and ''commerce''?

And if Eko Atlantic becomes what is envisaged, it WILL draw tourists and visitors.

what happened to tinapa again and all the huge projects we undertook ? yeah they all went under

Tinapa has NOT gone under. It is in fact starting to shape up there, with more retail outlets setting up shop by the week. Abuja was a huge project that's turned out pretty succesfully, so yes, huge projects can and will succeed in Nigeria. In Lagos, a city wide rail network is under construction as we speak. That too will be a success.

as per your LESSON, no you dont improve the peoples lives by enhancing economic activity via the private sector.

Tell that to the Indians.

the people do not want to be spoon-fed. you improve the people lives by providing the basic essentials as platform from which a smooth life can begin.

Do those basic essentials include jobs? If so, where will the JOBS come from without these sort of private sector initiatives? You want everyone to work as a barber, tailor, or truckpusher from their backyard?

the people will fill in the gaps after that. you just provide the basics of life. thats all the people need

Ok fine. You provide 24 hour electricity and fantastic roads everywhere, ignoring economic development. Then what? How does that allow Mr A who just graduated with no job to find a job? Since you failed to provide for economic expansion, where will the jobs come from?

You will simply end up like North Korea, a place with great roads but starving people led by a lunatic despot with no interest in economic development.

Do you realise that the mere construction of Eko Atlantic will provide employment opportunities to untold thousands of Nigerians for countless years into the future?
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by buzugee(m): 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2010
ROSSIKE:

buzugee said:

You've no idea what you're talking about. Already as we speak, firms around the globe are laying their stake on Eko Atlantic, and you're here saying no new jobs will be created? I really don't know where to start with you.  

Nigeria is a developing nation. We can and do produce electricity, roads, water and universities, so do not misrepresent us. Not to everyone's complete satisfaction as of yet, but still no reason not to improve and expand our economy. You do realise this project is private sector driven?

No one is talking about ''vacationing in Nigeria''. Ever heard the words ''business'' and ''commerce''?

And if Eko Atlantic becomes what is envisaged, it WILL draw tourists and visitors.

all you are getting will be capital transfer from one person to another. no net gain

Tinapa has NOT gone under. It is in fact starting to shape up there, with more retail outlets setting up shop by the week. Abuja was a huge p[roject that's turned out pretty succesfully, so yes, huge projects can and will succeed in Nigeria. In Lagos, a city wide rail network is under construction as we speak. That too will be a success.

Tell that to the Indians.

Do those basic essentials include jobs? If so, where will the JOBS come from without these sort of private sector initiatives? You want everyone to work as a barber, tailor, or truckpusher from their backyard?

Ok fine. You provide 24 hour electricity and fantastic roads everywhere, ignoring economic development. Then what? How does that allow Mr A who just graduated with no job to find a job? Since you failed to provide for economic expansion, where will the jobs come from?

You will simply end up like North Korea, a place with great roads but starving people led by a lunatic despot with no interest in economic development.

Do you realise that the mere construction of Eko Atlantic will provide employment opportunities to untold thousands of Nigerians for countless years into the future?

firms around the world ? you mean 'predators, shysters, exploiters and opportunists' around the world ? i laugh in spanish. we shall see this all play out. and then you can come back to this thread and say 'wow' buzugee predicted it.

nigeria will never be a tourist spot. not even in my great grandchildrens lifetime. you know why ? it has the largest population of black people in the world. and it is fiercely homogeneously black. now unless of course something crazy happens and the economic domination of the world switches away from white people to black people. but till then, just forget it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria / Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) / A Pastor Survived This Ghastly Motor Accident In Benue State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.