Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,066 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? (32523 Views)

Omokri: Obi Couldn't Reduce Poverty In Anambra Yet Wants To Reduce It Nationally / Insecurity In Nigeria: Do You Have A Plan B? (Pastor Paul Adefarasin's Plan) / Sanwo-Olu: I Haven’t Bought An Official Car So I Can Reduce Cost Of Governance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by galadima77(m): 2:38pm On Feb 11, 2020
Corruption has been institutionalized and sadly many harvest from it, me too.
Just as majority fall short of moral standards, we can identify what's wrong and right. Maybe we should begin at the micro level and see the ripple effects.
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by MelloJelly: 2:39pm On Feb 11, 2020
orruption is killing us literally
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by akhis: 2:53pm On Feb 11, 2020
DevelopNaija:
I sent the picture below to my friend and she responded 'AMEN'. I had to remind her that this is not a prophecy but a goal that needs actions to become a reality.

#Poverty will drastically reduce if the following are done.

1. Change our mindset
2. Increase Minimum Wage.
3.Cut down public officers' salaries and allowances.
4. Gain 21st Century skills.
5. Provision of well paying jobs
6. Smart solutions for electricity and Water problem
7. Stop being greedy, selfish and self-centered.
8. Minding one's business

What other ways can we reduce poverty for ourselves and others? Any suggestions?
These are aolutioms to the micro problem but the problem is macro in nature so it needs macro solution. Sorry your outlines are not solutions but outcome of solutions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Youngzedd(m): 2:54pm On Feb 11, 2020
DevelopNaija:
I sent the picture below to my friend and she responded 'AMEN'. I had to remind her that this is not a prophecy but a goal that needs actions to become a reality.

1. Change our mindset

What other ways can we reduce poverty for ourselves and others? Any suggestions?

14 REASONS WHY NIGERIA IS POOR

1. Lack of transportation infrastructure.

2. Corrupt government. Corruption keep criminals out of jail.
Demonic statement > "We know they're stealing, but at least they're giving something back."

3. Low quality of education. An uneducated population doesn't stand up for what is right. When the government fails, there's very little an individual can do.

4. Lack of privacy & free speech.

5. Lack of information & telecommunication infrastructure.

6. Weak democracy.

7. SUPER RELIGIOUS.
The more religious a country is, the poorer the country.

If your country has more churches than schools, your country is poor.

If there are fewer medical centres than places of worship, your country have a belief problem.

If your religious leaders in your country have a direct say or influence towards politics, your country is been held back.

8. Paradoxically, the country is resource rich.

9. Money is leaving the country.

10. Nepotism.

11. Low social participation.

12. Poor medical infrastructure.

13. War and civil disputes.

14. Hatred for the wealthy & poor mindset.

Culled from Alux dot com YouTube channel.
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Feb 11, 2020
DevelopNaija:

1. Change our mindset

Only resource control will save Nigeria
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Yankee101: 3:21pm On Feb 11, 2020
Nigerians dont work hard and consistently. Only the very poor work hard and consistently just to survive. Go to a McDonald's for example here, from resumption to break time then closing, they are busy on the intercom, cooking, ringing the register, packaging and still smiling when talking to you.

Naija go come late, hide for back, skip hard work, complain, boy go drink on the job, browse for computer all day, try close b4 time etc.

That consistency is what is called productivity. We can't improve the economy is we don't improve our productivity. If you chop wood, chop it according to specification, in a sufficient quantity and done in a timely manner. That's productivity.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by erai30(m): 3:21pm On Feb 11, 2020
DevelopNaija:

1. Change our mindset

The one and surest way of eliminating poverty in this country called Nigeria, is to permanent electricity. We are hard working people.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by tex73: 3:25pm On Feb 11, 2020
Ur # 6 should be #1 and most other problems will be solved cool
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Novaccines: 3:34pm On Feb 11, 2020
Wow grin
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by akinszz: 3:36pm On Feb 11, 2020
henriettttta:
9. Lower the number of children we give birth to

You will see a man in Nigeria with a salary of 25k giving birth to more than 5 children

Why won't there be poverty
this should be first thing to do if we truly want to reduce poverty.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by micflo28(m): 3:42pm On Feb 11, 2020
The greatest way to create wealth is to grow other sectors of the economy and deemphasize on oil and gas. If agricultural companies pays as much as shell and chevron pays, Mining and textile industries pays as much as the nollywood and music industry and Tourism and Historical sites pays as much as The health sector, supported by all the basic infrastructures, we will solve the problem of wealth creation. Then, our wealth distribution is faulty, hence we need wealth redistribution, cut salaries of politicians and top civil servants to finance infrastructure, block leakages and rooms for corruption and looting, increase tax for Top companies e.g Dangote, to provide jobs and amenities, we will be better off.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by brownemmanuel43(m): 3:56pm On Feb 11, 2020
DevelopNaija:

1. Change our mindset

At the bolded will never depart from black man, most especially Nigeria.
I was reading a thread here last week or so, somebody sent his elder brother out of his house. People supported the guy with reasons best known to them. We are damn wicked to the bone marrow, most don't care about their next neighbour, all most care is just for themselves.
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by lexyclasy: 4:07pm On Feb 11, 2020
Thought he wanted to say something about, 1. Birth control-Poverty will thrive if low income earners don't stop producing numerous kids above their means to cater for, 2.Corruption Elimination-when collective wealth of a state or Nation that should have used for development of infrastructures, basic amenities, education system were cornered by few opportunist in Government, the rest will bound to suffer in poverty, 3.Insecurity-No meaningful or reasonable person or corporate entity can invest in a system where insecurity reign supreme, where rule of law is not upheld because they will be afraid of unfavorable judgement if agreements were breached, 4.Lack of Visionary leaders-a good leader rolls out economic friendly policies not harsh type like what we are experiencing in the present regime etc
budaatum:

I'd pretty much agree, though I do not agree with 2 since mid-level public officers' salaries and allowances is rather small. Still, if you do those others, their salaries might more likely increase and reduce poverty even further.

Its that number 1 I agree with mostly, though I would add a 'y' so it reads "change your mindset", and therefore ensure each person is responsible for changing their own mindset.

If we all change our mindsets to realising we are responsible for the state that we are in, instead of behaving like Unoka and blaming everything and everyone else but ourselves, then Nigeria just might better.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by higgs: 4:10pm On Feb 11, 2020
Birth control, maximum of 3 or 4 children per woman.
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Feb 11, 2020
DevelopNaija:

1. Change our mindset

Only 1 and 7 are solutions. Others are either pipe dreams or general banalities.
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Chudi147(m): 4:16pm On Feb 11, 2020
cybug:
Work hard

Work smart

Network and surround yourself with [/s]~wealthy rich people...~[s] Financially intelligent people.

Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Dollabiz: 4:37pm On Feb 11, 2020
hmmm
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by dedeorji(m): 4:45pm On Feb 11, 2020
I agree to all the points mentioned; however population control is very important.

The Nigerian economy ghas shrank to 0.3% annual growth while population growth is estimated at close to 5%.
Our GDP does not fare better as we are progressively plunging into debts, the few rickety infrastructure managing to stay put have been stretched to limits.
SFH and NHIS should take a cursory looks at the impact the population is having on the economy and step up with sensitisation on need for family planning.

DevelopNaija:

1. Change our mindset

Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by abbey621(m): 5:16pm On Feb 11, 2020
Yankee101:
Nigerians dont work hard and consistently. Only the very poor work hard and consistently just to survive. Go to a McDonald's for example here, from resumption to break time then closing, they are busy on the intercom, cooking, ringing the register, packaging and still smiling when talking to you.

Naija go come late, hide for back, skip hard work, complain, boy go drink on the job, browse for computer all day, try close b4 time etc.

That consistency is what is called productivity. We can't improve the economy is we don't improve our productivity. If you chop wood, chop it according to specification, in a sufficient quantity and done in a timely manner. That's productivity.

With all due respect what you've just stated is pure unfiltered RUBBISH! Average Nigerian works longer hours than their American counterparts, average Nigerian spends almost 2 hours to get to work and 2 or more hours to get back home, all these for less than 40% what their American counterparts are getting. Throughout my career in America, starting from the bottom and then making it into middle management ina Fortune 100 company, I can tell you thatthe work ethics of most Nigerians over gives employers joy. We need to stop this rubbish of assuming Nigerians are lazy, throw the average American into the work conditions we have in Nigeria and watch them go into severe depression.
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by mmsen: 5:17pm On Feb 11, 2020
No mention of responsible breeding? Reproductive education? Or education in general?
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by joepepsy(m): 5:45pm On Feb 11, 2020
Nonsense!! Provide electricity and Nigerians all over the world invade the country and see small businesses prosper..
DevelopNaija:

1. Change our mindset

Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by WeRblessed(f): 5:51pm On Feb 11, 2020
Remove religion from everything they do. Now, I did not say you should remove God from our daily doings, but I mean Nigerians have to flush their religious mentality to the pit and they'll see themselves prosper.

God is not religious.

Religion is a trap that will never allow its victims go free.
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Ghokes(m): 5:51pm On Feb 11, 2020
What is the reality on ground guy?
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by DexterousOne(m): 5:53pm On Feb 11, 2020
henriettttta:
9. Lower the number of children we give birth to

You will see a man in Nigeria with a salary of 25k giving birth to more than 5 children

Why won't there be poverty

What j keep saying
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Sultty(m): 5:54pm On Feb 11, 2020
DevelopNaija:

1. Change our mindset

no. 1,7&8 will come last let everywhere develop
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by DexterousOne(m): 5:57pm On Feb 11, 2020
ContractKiller:
No 1 Strict meritocracy and getting rid of federal character system.

No 2 Punishment of those contributing to overpopulation.

No 3 Secular government. Government has no business promoting any religion.

No 4 Restructuring and giving greater economic and developmental responsibility to regions.

This is more "workable"
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by DexterousOne(m): 5:59pm On Feb 11, 2020
ascek:

This possible where the different ethnicity share the same vision. As it stands now if we want to make up our minds on every point you raised it will be destroyed by the different vision we carry- the vision of our respective ethnicity. And I say Nigeria does not have a vision as a country but the different nation within the country have.

And whose fault is it that Nigeria does not have a "national vision "?

Countries more diverse than Nigeria have stronger state of the union.
And a more nationalistic view to nationhood

So why is Nigeria case different? undecided

Is it wicked leaders or citizens who don't know better?
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Yankee101: 6:00pm On Feb 11, 2020
abbey621:

With all due respect what you've just stated is pure unfiltered RUBBISH! Average Nigerian works longer hours than their American counterparts, average Nigerian spends almost 2 hours to get to work and 2 or more hours to get back home, all these for less than 40% what their American counterparts are getting. Throughout my career in America, starting from the bottom and then making it into middle management ina Fortune 100 company, I can tell you thatthe work ethics of most Nigerians over gives employers joy. We need to stop this rubbish of assuming Nigerians are lazy, throw the average American into the work conditions we have in Nigeria and watch them go into severe depression.

Nigerians in diaspora work ethic is not the same as the work ethic in naija. It's like comparing a place where technology (clock-in-clock-out for example) helps productivity with a place where any of your friends can help you sign in the attendance register
because 20% of Nigerians in America have masters does not mean 20% of Nigerians in nigeria have masters.
I've managed resources (human and material) in both economies. So I'm not talking out of thin air.
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by lawani: 6:40pm On Feb 11, 2020
Romanoff:
Number 1 should be "North centric". 4 children per man, polygamy should only be allowed when a man has attained a certain financial status.

Na our number one problem be bthat. Them dey born like local fowl.
polygamy should be outlawed for both rich and poor.
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by abbey621(m): 6:58pm On Feb 11, 2020
Yankee101:

Nigerians in diaspora work ethic is not the same as the work ethic in naija. It's like comparing a place where technology (clock-in-clock-out for example) helps productivity with a place where any of your friends can help you sign in the attendance register
because 20% of Nigerians in America have masters does not mean 20% of Nigerians in nigeria have masters.
I've managed resources (human and material) in both economies. So I'm not talking out of thin air.

I maintain my point, put in the same work conditions, the same pay structure and hectic transportation system, the workers in Nigeria would always outperform those in diaspora. You used an example of someone working in McDonalds, trust me such a worker would protest vehemently if he/she received $2 per hour of work after spending almost 2 hours to work and another 2 hours back home.YOU CANNOT IGNORE, contributing factors and then label those in Nigeria has having poor work ethics. Furthermore, signing timesheets or clocking in, does not equal productivity, it only ensures attendance. When I worked in a call center, calls were monitored, tasks were monitored but there was always shortcuts that cam e with experience, so my friend appearance of productivity does not always mean efficiency....lol.
Re: 8 Ways We Can Reduce Poverty In Nigeria. Do You Agree? by Yankee101: 7:34pm On Feb 11, 2020
abbey621:

I maintain my point, put in the same work conditions, the same pay structure and hectic transportation system, the workers in Nigeria would always outperform those in diaspora. You used an example of someone working in McDonalds, trust me such a worker would protest vehemently if he/she received $2 per hour of work after spending almost 2 hours to work and another 2 hours back home.YOU CANNOT IGNORE, contributing factors and then label those in Nigeria has having poor work ethics. Furthermore, signing timesheets or clocking in, does not equal productivity, it only ensures attendance. When I worked in a call center, calls were monitored, tasks were monitored but there was always shortcuts that cam e with experience, so my friend appearance of productivity does not always mean efficiency....lol.

People live in New York and commute 2 hours or more by train to Penny

I worked in Nigeria when Glo, MTN, oil ^ Gas and any of the major banks will pay you more than the average American will have as disposable income (glo used to place an advert that do not even apply if you earn less than 20m naira, that was when the naira was less than 100 per usd).

And I noticed the same work ethic in these big companies

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Broke Into Tears / Ehiozuwa Agbonayinma Drops Governorship Ambition After Son’s Murder In US / Warning Circular To NTA Staff Over Liking & Sharing Of Online Publications(Memo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.