Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,576 members, 7,865,392 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 05:11 PM

Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? (48586 Views)

Why Is Toyota Avalon Uncommon? / Is Toyota Corolla Really The Best / Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by maynation(f): 8:43am On Feb 24, 2020
Openbusiness:

Yeah, I have seen them, and they are "BROKE PEOPLE". If cost of maintenance is a serious criteria for you before buying a car, then you are in the BROKE PEOPLE category. Even if you have millions in your account, forget it, you're still broke, because being broke is not just lack of money, it's also a way of thinking. When rich people buy cars, they buy the cars they love to buy, cost of maintenance is not and never a factor in their consideration at all. That's why it's rich people that buy Ferraris, Bugattis, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Roll Royces, Land Rovers, Mercedes Benz etc. They don't care about mpg, they don’t care about parts availability, they don’t care if there's no dealership or workshop for it in town, they don’t care if they have to ship it to another country for servicing, they don’t care about nothing. They love the car for the luxury and performance it provides and they buy it. That's what they care about. But CHECK OUT people buying Toyotas and Hondas. They care about mpg, you always see them vibrating like hot oil that was splashed with water, vibrating over whether it is V4 or V6, whether the 4 plugs can drive 1000km with 1 liter of fuel, whether Kabiru is neighborhood mechanic can fix it, whether Uche Obi in Ladipo has the parts, whether the parts are everywhere in lagos and along the forests of interstate roads, they worry about resale value, whether they can buy the car for N2m, use it for 10 years and still re-sell it with a banged up body, 650k miles covered, vandalized interior, gearbox on ICU and an engine on life support at N1.5m. They worry about everything. I'm not being rude, and apologies to anyone that feels offended. But the truth is, it's "BROKE PEOPLE" that drive (own) Toyotas and Hondas etc!

People who can buy those luxury brands are not even on Nairaland to start with.
Judging by your inputs then all of us on this thread are 'broke people', 80% of Nigerians in general sef.
4matic, ML350(2010 inclusive), C300, GL-Class, C280, CLS550 and even to E350 are not even luxury cars and these are cars Nigerians mostly hype.

We are all broke people as far as your standards are Lamborghinis ,Bugattis, Rolls Royce and Co.

5 Likes

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by louiziana(m): 8:44am On Feb 24, 2020
maynation:

Wait oo.
No shade intended o.
Every one knows Honda is a poor man's car na especially EOD and DC, those are the cars everyone starts with then you upgrade after few years.
Most civil servants opt for Honda just to minimize expenses and be at least called car owners. I started with DC too.

See as u dey blast Honda owners because you don get better Toyota now. Please don't make them feel bad, its not really easy in this part of the world. Many people have worked until retirement age without buying a car. Peace!

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by maynation(f): 8:45am On Feb 24, 2020
louiziana:

See as u dey blast Honda owners because you don get better Toyota now. Please don't make them feel bad, its not really easy in this part of the world. Many people have worked until retirement age without buying a car. Peace!
I am sorry no insult intended biko.
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by louiziana(m): 8:47am On Feb 24, 2020
maynation:

Judging by your inputs then all of us on this thread are 'broke people', 80% of Nigerians in general sef.
4matic, ML350(2010 inclusive), C300, GL-Class, C280, CLS550 and even to E350 are not even luxury cars and these are cars Nigerians mostly hype.

We are all broke people as far as we can't afford Lamborghinis ,Bugattis, Rolls Royce and Co.

Made men dey NL on code oh, are u saying that Seun can't afford a Ferrari even if its tokunbo? U can get a used Ferrari here if u have 50m sef but old model. Many men here go get pass that one oh. Stay blessed
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by maimalari: 8:53am On Feb 24, 2020
Keke vs toyota. Which is more reliable? Cos i know keke has more sales than Toyota in nigeria. And it has high resale value. Thunder fire whoever is comparing a poorly built toyota and Mercedes. And if you’ve never driven a benz and a toyota, don’t even contribute here cos you can never know how risky and unreliable it is to drive toyotas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by maynation(f): 8:54am On Feb 24, 2020
louiziana:

Made men dey NL on code oh, are u saying that Seun can't afford a Ferrari even if its tokunbo? U can get a used Ferrari here if u have 50m sef but old model. Many men here go get pass that one oh. Stay blessed
No one truly knows what Seun is worth, but the simple truth is most people who hype Mercedes Benz can't even afford the ones that really offer the luxury they fantasize about.
IPhone X Max isn't same as IPhone 4 biko just because they are both called IPhones.
Stay blessed too.

3 Likes

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by BadBradley: 8:56am On Feb 24, 2020
Smartchoiice:
..Mercedes sells way more expensive cars than Toyota does, which is their whole objective. Toyota sells WAY more cheap cars than Mercedes does, which is their focus. ... To give you a feel for focus, Toyota sold more Camry's ALONE (430,000) than Mercedes sold ALL its cars in the US in a particular year (380,000).
Never read anything half as insulting all my life in nairaland.

Please after Mercedes, Toyota isn't next. They aren't comparable. It's a mismatch.

Toyota had to rebrand (Lexus) to pretend to own a luxury brand .

Please after Mercedes, Toyota isn't even next, there are a handful of cars in-between before you get to Toyota.

Selling more cars doesn't equate to better car. Only in dumb Nigeria and dumb nairaland will this kind of thread exists.

4 Likes

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by Nobody: 8:57am On Feb 24, 2020
I will just leave this here and walk out..

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by lastempero: 8:59am On Feb 24, 2020
Who is comparing sleep and death here angry
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by BadBradley: 9:01am On Feb 24, 2020
conductor259:
As far as this our earth is concerned, the worst of Toyota; the least, barest, smallest, cheapest, lowest trim of Toyota Corolla ever made is going to be more reliable, dependable and stronger than the most expensive shitbox Benzedes will ever manufacture. cheesy

Ps. Benzedes is closer to Nissan on Consumer Reports US reliability list 2019 down there. Is it not safer to compare yourselves with number 14-ranked Nissan rather than jumping 17 places to be fighting and killing yourselves over Toyota that doesn't even know you exist at number one position.? cheesy
very clear you don't own a car.

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by SoNature(m): 9:03am On Feb 24, 2020
Smartchoiice:

The Toyota fans won't allow the Benz lovers rest

I think the Benz peeps make a lot of noise, especially the Yahoo-yahoo boys among them

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 24, 2020
maynation:

Wait oo.
No shade intended o.
Every one knows Honda is a poor man's car na especially EOD and DC, those are the cars everyone starts with then you upgrade after few years.
Most civil servants opt for Honda just to minimize expenses and be at least called car owners. I started with DC too.
Adanny01 I wee not take this...chai chai my in-law
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by BadBradley: 9:14am On Feb 24, 2020
Smartchoiice:

If You want to compare Lexus...then we'll bring the Mercedes Maybach.
please shut up, you're gaffing seriously.

1. Maybach isn't a luxury branch of Mercedes. It is just a subbrand/model.

2. Lexus is a rebranded Toyota with more leather and horses. Nothing more.

3. Lexus can't stand on the ground a Mercedes rode through.
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by Eteka1(m): 9:14am On Feb 24, 2020
Smartchoiice:
The problem is that people tend to think Mercedes Benz makes only cars like Toyota.... They forget that Marco Polo luxurious buses, trucks which are die hard vehicles and second to none in reliability are also signature makes of Mercedes Benz.

Even Lexus was a pure plagiarism of the Mercedes Benz.

Yes some brands of Mercedes Benz has issues....but true the Toyota Camry muscle is plagued with a factory error of oil consumption that is incurable!! The Camry muscle melting dashboards, the Camry muscle independent acceleration without the input of the driver....

I can go on and on... The Toyota Corolla is no match for the Mercedes Benz W202 C klasse... In any form..the W202 C klasse wins ...
A. Fuel economy tie.
B. Thieves follow the Toyota Corolla
C. Parts replacement is waayyy cheaper on the Mercedes W202...

No, Toyota is not better than Mercedes, and anyone who claims that is delusional.

Finally the Mercedes Benz Maybach is something no Toyota/Lexus can ever compete with in triple lifetimes!!

Mercedes= iPhone
Toyota=Tecno/Infinix

End of discussion.
What is the resale value of the Mercedes Benz w202 which is by the way a 1995 or so car compared to the popular Corolla?

Mercedes Benz cars are very expensive to buy. They modern ones can have serious issues with electronics and all that which costs a fortune to fix. It's also difficult finding someone that really knows how to fix these things so you have to do it at the dealership for a fortune.

These new models can loose about 70% of their value in a few years. For example if you bought a brand new E class in 2010 for about N20 million you can only sell it for about N6 million five years later.

Toyota cars on the other hand are very reliable and can last a very long time on the original engine, original transmission, original air conditioning, the electronics will still be working very fine, can be fixed by about any mechanic for cheap. Above all you can still sell it after over 100,000 miles at a very decent price.

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by Nobody: 9:18am On Feb 24, 2020
Eteka1:
What is the resale value of the Mercedes Benz w202 which is by the way a 1995 or so car compared to the popular Corolla?

Mercedes Benz cars are very expensive to buy. They modern ones can have serious issues with electronics and all that which costs a fortune to fix. It's also difficult finding someone that really knows how to fix these things so you have to do it at the dealership for a fortune.

These new models can loose about 70% of their value in a few years. For example if you bought a brand new E class in 2010 for about N20 million you can only sell it for about N6 million five years later.

Toyota cars on the other hand are very reliable and can last a very long time on the original engine, original transmission, original air conditioning, the electronics will still be working very fine, can be fixed by about any mechanic for cheap. Above all you can still sell it after over 100,000 miles at a very decent price.
I fix my Mercedes cars myself
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by bibe(m): 9:18am On Feb 24, 2020
Smartchoiice:
The problem is that people tend to think Mercedes Benz makes only cars like Toyota.... They forget that Marco Polo luxurious buses, trucks which are die hard vehicles and second to none in reliability are also signature makes of Mercedes Benz.

Even Lexus was a pure plagiarism of the Mercedes Benz.

Yes some brands of Mercedes Benz has issues....but true the Toyota Camry muscle is plagued with a factory error of oil consumption that is incurable!! The Camry muscle melting dashboards, the Camry muscle independent acceleration without the input of the driver....

I can go on and on... The Toyota Corolla is no match for the Mercedes Benz W202 C klasse... In any form..the W202 C klasse wins ...
A. Fuel economy tie.
B. Thieves follow the Toyota Corolla
C. Parts replacement is waayyy cheaper on the Mercedes W202...

No, Toyota is not better than Mercedes, and anyone who claims that is delusional.

Finally the Mercedes Benz Maybach is something no Toyota/Lexus can ever compete with in triple lifetimes!!

Mercedes= iPhone
Toyota=Tecno/Infinix

End of discussion.

It may interest you to know that Toyota is the gold standard in the auto manufacturing industry. #fact
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by tunashg: 9:19am On Feb 24, 2020
BENZ ( German firstborn) for the bigger boys.
TOYOTA/LEXUS (Japanese twins) for the average Nigerians.

BENZ OR NOTHING ( imported rice and local rice no be mate)

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by BadBradley: 9:20am On Feb 24, 2020
maynation:

Nairalanders say Mercedes is better but Toyota been topping the list of most valuable cars for ages. That is our testimony.
Toyota for ever. cool

PS: This is the only time Mercedes ever come this close.
valuable brand based on market sales. You need to be discussing cosmetics and artificial hair.

There's a reason 70% of world's presidents use
the mercedess.S class.

If you ever drove both cars, the difference will be very clear to you.

Have you driven both of them?

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by Eteka1(m): 9:21am On Feb 24, 2020
Smartchoiice:

I fix my Mercedes cars myself
What model and year if I may ask?
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by maynation(f): 9:28am On Feb 24, 2020
BadBradley:
valuable brand based on market sales. You need to be discussing cosmetics and artificial hair.

There's a reason 70% of world's presidents use mercedes.

If you ever drove both cars, the difference will be very clear to you.

Have you driven both of them?
Calm down Oga.
Peugeot started like you guys too, it used to be the ideal official car. Now every tense is in the past.
BTW, I haven't driven both cars, no one around me wants to buy a glorified shyt.
Please let's talk about cosmetics and artificial hairs, let's see if you got an idea.tongue

2 Likes

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by BigJoe19: 9:28am On Feb 24, 2020
Openbusiness:

Yeah, I have seen them, and they are "BROKE PEOPLE". If cost of maintenance is a serious criteria for you before buying a car, then you are in the BROKE PEOPLE category. Even if you have millions in your account, forget it, you're still broke, because being broke is not just lack of money, it's also a way of thinking. When rich people buy cars, they buy the cars they love to buy, cost of maintenance is not and never a factor in their consideration at all. That's why it's rich people that buy Ferraris, Bugattis, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Roll Royces, Land Rovers, Mercedes Benz etc. They don't care about mpg, they don’t care about parts availability, they don’t care if there's no dealership or workshop for it in town, they don’t care if they have to ship it to another country for servicing, they don’t care about nothing. They love the car for the luxury and performance it provides and they buy it. That's what they care about. But CHECK OUT people buying Toyotas and Hondas. They care about mpg, you always see them vibrating like hot oil that was splashed with water, vibrating over whether it is V4 or V6, whether the 4 plugs can drive 1000km with 1 liter of fuel, whether Kabiru his neighborhood mechanic can fix it, whether Uche Obi in Ladipo has the parts, whether the parts are everywhere in lagos and along the forests of interstate roads, they worry about resale value, whether they can buy the car for N2m, use it for 10 years and still re-sell it with a banged up body, 650k miles covered, vandalized interior, gearbox on ICU and an engine on life support at N1.5m. They worry about everything. I'm not being rude, and apologies to anyone that feels offended. But the truth is, it's "BROKE PEOPLE" that drive (own) Toyotas and Hondas etc!
Where is the sense in what you said? What of the people that have both Mercedes and Toyota cars, are they also broke?
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by Openbusiness: 9:29am On Feb 24, 2020
maynation:

We are all broke people as far as your standards are Lamborghinis ,Bugattis, Rolls Royce and Co.
Who told you rich people that buy luxury cars are not on Nairaland? Besides, that doesn't even relate to this discussion, we're not talking about Nairaland. Then FYI, those Benz vehicles you listed, are all luxury cars. And let me tell you, Benz owners are not broke people. People that buy Benz don't think about mpg, smh, most Benz cars don't even have good mpg, the average Benz car is a V6, with city mpg around 13mpg or less, they don’t worry about resale value, they buy it because they love its luxury features and performance capabilities. Do you know a brand new S-class, let's say 2017 S550 AMG costs around $220k brand new and within a year or 2 after purchase the value drops by half, around 3 years, you can buy it for like $70k but rich people still buy it because they don't care about the second hand value, they are buying a car they love. The typical or average Benz owner is not a BROKE PERSON, no matter the year you consider. Even if you go back to the past, like in the 60s and 70s in Nigeria, check out the people driving Benz and check out those driving Toyota, Honda and Peugeot cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by BadBradley: 9:30am On Feb 24, 2020
LordAzubuike:
Toyota is a far better and more valuable brand.

Benz is only for people who wants to have a taste of luxury but can't afford it. Benz is a poor man's luxury. I was utterly shocked when someone was telling me benz is a far better luxury maker than Audi and BMW. Nothing wey man no go hear from these die hard Benz fans.

executive12
BMW focuses more on performance than luxury. Audi is forever coping BMW spec sheets.

Mercedes us essentially luxury first. Your ignorance is staggering!

Toyota, Honda and Nissan are in same level.

If I'm rating cars of everyday brand.

1 Mercedes
2 BMW
3 Audi
4 Ford
5 Honda
6 Toyota
7 Nissan (probably)

Please you Toyota-bozo, the best car out of Asia is still Honda. It's the only Japanese brand that gives a feel of European car characteristics when you drive it.

European cars are the pace setters since the world began and till it will end.

Stop using Nigeria poor mentality to reason.

3 Likes

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by maynation(f): 9:31am On Feb 24, 2020
Smartchoiice:

You just dey add petrol to fire. grin
You that I know, can you drive EOD?? Even the over hyped Anaconda and evil spirit??
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by paltielx: 9:31am On Feb 24, 2020
Toyota focuses on reliability while mercedes focuses on luxury making their cars more expensive than toyota
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by adanny01(m): 9:32am On Feb 24, 2020
Smartchoiice:

What will u do? Pick a knife?

At least Maynation understands the balance between reliability and performance unlike a lot of ppl on this thread wink

2 Likes

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by BadBradley: 9:33am On Feb 24, 2020
maynation:

Calm down Oga.
Peugeot started like you guys too, it used to be the ideal official car. Now every tense is in the past.
BTW, I haven't driven both cars, no one around me wants to buy a glorified shyt.
Please let's talk about cosmetics and artificial hairs, let's see if you got an idea.tongue
you see wetin I dey tell you?

Stop discussing about cars!!!!!!

Peugeot was only used government-wise in Nigeria.

We're talking 70% of the world's presidents use mercedes and you're talking about Peugeot...lolz.

Listen forget luxury or names.

Just get into the wheels of a Japanese car and drive it, then alight and get into the back of a Mercedes and drive it. The difference with envelope, arrest and unsettle you.

When you take both cars to the highway, you know why European cars are driven with more ease and comfort than anything out of Asia.

Once again, have you driven both cars?

Mercedes is the high priest of cars! Put some reverence and respect when you mention it.

Mercedes own too much car patent rights that if enforced, Toyota/Lexus will be paying Mercedes for every unit shipped!

4 Likes

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by angelicwing: 9:35am On Feb 24, 2020
tunashg:
BENZ ( German firstborn) for the bigger boys.

TOYOTA/LEXUS (Japanese twins) for the average Nigerians.

BENZ OR NOTHING ( imported rice and local rice no be mate)
Yet local rice is healthier and more nutritious than the imported rice
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by Nobody: 9:35am On Feb 24, 2020
bibe:

It may interest you to know that Toyota is the gold standard in the auto manufacturing industry. #fact
Tecno Infinix are also the golf standards for some in the mobile phones industry.
Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by adanny01(m): 9:36am On Feb 24, 2020
maynation:

You that I know, can you drive EOD?? Even the over hyped Anaconda and evil spirit??

cool

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 24, 2020
maynation:

Those cars look very interesting o

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? by DAVE5(m): 9:40am On Feb 24, 2020
symbianDON:
toyota isn't necessarily a better company because it sold more units of camry than the whole cars Mercedes sold in a year in US. US isn't the whole world. Besides, I'm sure, Toyota has sold more vehicles than Bentley, Ferrari and Porsche. Does that make Toyota better? There are several factors that influence the choices people make when they want to get a car. Toyota is a very successful brand, no doubt. However, Mercedes is also very very successful and is a world respected brand.

People mainly buy Toyotas/lexus for pure peace of mind and relatively cheaper maintenance though Lexus isn't cheap to maintain though

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Someone Learning How To Drive With Mercedes Benz C300 In Abuja (Photo) / Innoson Produces Trucks For Anambra Vigilante Services (Photos) / 2017 Mercedes GLE450 : The Latest Ride Of Davido, The Review!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.