Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,260 members, 7,836,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan (35787 Views)

Nurses Withdraw Services At Plateau Isolation Centre Over Hazard Allowance / NMA, NARD Threaten To Withdraw Services Over Invitation Of Chinese Doctors / UCH Ibadan, A Death Trap: Official Reply From UCH Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Dollabiz: 3:07pm On Feb 27, 2020
Oh
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by simigold: 3:08pm On Feb 27, 2020
Rather than look for more amiable ways to solve the issue, these rogues in white decide to endanger lives to thier selfish interests. Circular is more important to lives. It's time the government look for alternatives to these heartless people who forego ethics to money and personal gains. Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by silverkings: 3:09pm On Feb 27, 2020
So my treatment in that hospital suspended I dey for hot soup now!!
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by seanwilliam(m): 3:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
Mymynd4u:
Is ibadan the head of every institution in Nigeria?

If na ASUU, na unibadan dey always dey news
Mr omole

If na medical stuff too, na uch.

Wetin ibadan carry sef
cos ibadan is the cradle of civilisation
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by phineas: 3:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
Yankee101:

Yep. Lots of Indians. They have all sorts of qualifications sef not only PhD

They should hire them and train them now.Let them treat tropical medicine and remember to pay them the same salary while at it.

Frankly speaking i think nigeria needs some short term foreign consultants to breathe sanity i to the system.thise ones will not take half the crap naija consultants and medical teams accept.it may sanitize the system for all

2 Likes

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Virtutis: 3:13pm On Feb 27, 2020
Correcto:
If I was the president, I will declare state of emergency in the health sector. Get rid of most of them, sanitize the system thoroughly. Hopefully I will rule this country some day and I won't tolerate this.

Hahaha...I laugh hysterically. Get rid of renowned and vastly experienced consultants with immense years of practice? And replace them with who...herbalists?

Gosh...some people's posts are only to be taken as amusement and a fickle attempt at stand up comedy. This is one of them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 27, 2020
Iretii0511:

You only see things from your perspective probably because you are a medic. I put it to you that if you would be a little more objective with your view, you would understand that the request of nuc is not a bad one. It's definitely geared toward making the profession better.

I'm sure students will gain more from a consultant with a PhD than a consultant without one.

I am not a medic and have no investment in anything medical. So your whole theory falls flat, because I am in fact, being totally objective in my view. We are just too enamoured of paper qualifications in Nigeria. Plus most of these consultants have already published so many research studies, that one more half hearted dissertation cannot possibly add any cutting edge value that will justify the wasted time and energy.

3 Likes

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Freddonance(m): 3:16pm On Feb 27, 2020
CSTR2:
lol Go to PTDF office in Abuja.
That means the work was trash. No need for further talk
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by blowjohn(m): 3:17pm On Feb 27, 2020
moptop:
Medical Doctors with their arrogance.......
If you must be a lecturer then you should follow the rules of NUC(the regulating body)....
Are they above regulations?

U dont know what ur saying.
How many traffic rules do u follow?
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Correcto: 3:18pm On Feb 27, 2020
Lol obviously you know nothing. Recruiting Experienced Doctors from India and other Asia countries is quite easy once the government decides to. Just pray state of emergency should not be declared in the health sector, you know nothing. Don't ever think you can blackmail government, if you do they just allowed you.
Virtutis:

Hahaha...I laugh hysterically. Get rid of renowned and vastly experienced consultants with immense years of practice? And replace them with who...herbalists?

Gosh...some people's posts are only to be taken as amusement and a fickle attempt at stand up comedy. This is one of them.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by phineas: 3:18pm On Feb 27, 2020
Iretii0511:

To follow your logic, a COREN registered engineer with 20 years of experience is more capable to lecture machine design than a PhD in engineering. I don't think you know what academic as a profession mean. (No insult intended).

So a lecturer that has never seen opisthotonus ,and has no clue what to do when there is no insulin and theres a diabetix emmergency should lecture malaria in a diabetic in tropical medicine in Nigeria

Medecine is apprenticeship bro.fellows are reserchers of the practice of medecine.Fellowship includes study tours abroad and in other centers.we argue the 7 year post graduate fellowship trainibg and maybe a masters in sufficient to teach undergrads .Just so you know Thats the practice globally in medicine

2 Likes

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by sgtponzihater1(m): 3:21pm On Feb 27, 2020
lawrenzooo:
I think NUC should give a time frame after which this policy would kick off. Let's say a five year period so those involved could possible start applying for their PHD

Consultants dont need PHD for Medical Education. No where in the world is it a criteria

3 Likes

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Virtutis: 3:21pm On Feb 27, 2020
edoairways:

Post utme was scrapped because of complains from parents and students about schools charging exorbitant fees. In the first place why should we have post utme knowing fully well that jamb has improved?.

The best thing to have done was to put a cap at the amount chargeable by Universities which they eventually came back to do.

JAMB is just getting it acts together and is not yet there.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by phineas: 3:23pm On Feb 27, 2020
Correcto:
Lol obviously you know nothing. Recruiting Experienced Doctors from India and other Asia countries is quite easy once the government decides to. Just pray state of emergency should not be declared in the health sector, you know nothing. Don't ever think you can blackmail government, if you do they just allowed you.

Hire 300 of them.Pay them 1.5 million each.give them to ibadan with the same work volume ,work conditions and salary. Let them hear no scissors,no drugs and no oxygen.

Nigeria really needs the social experiment

Its a medical emmergency if the MDCN is calling a strike.we are all just in denial
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Iretii0511(m): 3:23pm On Feb 27, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

I am not a medic and have no investment in anything medical. So your whole theory falls flat, because I am in fact, being totally objective in my view. We are just too enamoured of paper qualifications in Nigeria. Plus most of these consultants have already published so many research studies, that one more half hearted dissertation cannot possibly add any cutting edge value that will justify the wasted time and energy.

At first, I suppose you understand the word 'probably' to mean the same thing it meant to me. If that is correct, my theory still stands.
Second, a graduate or masters degree holder with lots of research is still not in the league of a PhD with a single desertation assuming all other factors remain constant. Do you think a COREN registered engineer with over 20 years of experience will lecture machine design better than a PhD holder?
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by SctDonald(m): 3:24pm On Feb 27, 2020
If you want to go into clinical practice, decide it and stick to it..
If you want to go into academics, follow the path..
Don't combine both.., but if you must combine both,, you must get the requirements for both..

1 Like

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 27, 2020
CSTR2:
Doctors in the other parts of the world can design ingenious biomedical systems.
They make huge money from patents which they sell to big biomedical companies.

In Nigeria, you have a consultant of Cardiology that cannot design an artificial heart because they don't have the required doctoral training in research and innovation.

What are you teaching? Copy and paste?

Research is limited by the type of facilities and funds available. Instead of the government to fight for more funds and better facilities for researchers, they are fighting for more paper.

1 Like

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by madridsta007(m): 3:25pm On Feb 27, 2020
Islie:
•Consultants protest PhD qualification criteria

https://thenationonlineng.net/over-300-medical-consultants-withdraw-services-from-uch-ui/

They should proceed to write their PLAB exams.
And move to the NHS.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by blowjohn(m): 3:26pm On Feb 27, 2020
Correcto:
If I was the president, I will declare state of emergency in the health sector. Get rid of most of them, sanitize the system thoroughly. Hopefully I will rule this country some day and I won't tolerate this.

O wow! Nice one. Clap for urself.
But u wont equip the hospitals and build modern ones abi?
U wont make drugs available at affordable prices abi?
U wont make sure that public health centres r connected in real time to larger hospitals abi?
U wo t make sure doctors are paid well abi?
U wont make sure that emergency cases are attended to before complicated conditions are met abi?

U will just go ahead and sack all the consultants!
Now am clapping for u.

4 Likes

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Correcto: 3:40pm On Feb 27, 2020
Feel free to clap more more
blowjohn:

O wow! Nice one. Clap for urself.
But u wont equip the hospitals and build modern ones abi?
U wont make drugs available at affordable prices abi?
U wont make sure that public health centres r connected in real time to larger hospitals abi?
U wo t make sure doctors are paid well abi?
U wont make sure that emergency cases are attended to before complicated conditions are met abi?

U will just go ahead and sack all the consultants!
Now am clapping for u.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Thonypadua(m): 3:42pm On Feb 27, 2020
emapeteum:
This could be one of the major reasons why we are not doing well in terms of research of international repute in the medical field simply because our medical Professors believe that fellowship is equal to a Ph.D.
God will bless you dude, good submission.
Not only in research but also there impact towards the training of new doctors you can believe Medical Officers prescribing drug for a patient by checking goggle. You can confirm that by moving closer to the new medics and the required research to be a consultant is not half of the research you will carried to be a PhD older, funny enough there salary is times 2 of a prof
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Thonypadua(m): 3:42pm On Feb 27, 2020
emapeteum:
This could be one of the major reasons why we are not doing well in terms of research of international repute in the medical field simply because our medical Professors believe that fellowship is equal to a Ph.D.
God will bless you dude, good submission.
Not only in research but also there impact towards the training of new doctors you can't believe Medical Officers prescribing drug for a patient by checking goggle. You can confirm that by moving closer to the new medics and the required research to be a consultant is not half of the research you will carried to be a PhD older, funny enough there salary is times 2 of a prof
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Correcto: 3:43pm On Feb 27, 2020
Lol, more cheap price can be gotten from Asia and African countries
phineas:

Hire 300 of them.Pay them 1.5 million each.give them to ibadan with the same work volume ,work conditions and salary. Let them hear no scissors,no drugs and no oxygen.

Nigeria really needs the social experiment

Its a medical emmergency if the MDCN is calling a strike.we are all just in denial
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Yankee101: 3:44pm On Feb 27, 2020
phineas:

They should hire them and train them now.Let them treat tropical medicine and remember to pay them the same salary while at it.

Frankly speaking i think nigeria needs some short term foreign consultants to breathe sanity i to the system.thise ones will not take half the crap naija consultants and medical teams accept.it may sanitize the system for all

Some of them make $1500 to $2000 in India

A consultant here makes around that (b4 locum).

So yes. We can
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by frog12: 3:44pm On Feb 27, 2020
makes sense. we are just slow.

olsmade:
The PhD requirement to teach medical students clinical medicine makes absolutely no sense. I don’t know of any country in the world where this happens. having a PhD has nothing do with your clinical acumen.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by frog12: 3:49pm On Feb 27, 2020
arrogance opinion!
Basic123:

Lolz

IGNORANCE!

I know so many Ignorant people will want to contribute.People that know nothing about medical practice.

consultant is the highest rank you can acquire in a medical field....it's like asking the GM of a bank to come be attending to customers over the counter although they still attend to patients,do ward rounds(consultant WR),do surgeries....in addition to this they teach medical students, resident doctors, supervise thesis,conduct researches etc
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Gr8amechi: 3:49pm On Feb 27, 2020
Sodiquinone:
A consultant in Nigeria receives 1million/month,but they Still don't want to get PhD so that they can automatically be able to work as a consultant and a lecturer which amounts to double salary without the proper qualification. Those mentioning abroad should research well,there is MD-phD programme abroad.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/mdphd-degree-programs-state/
Ignorance and hatred will destroy Nigeria.
Which consultant earns 1 million every month??
Secondly you don't really have knowledge about what is being discussed,try and get knowledge or ask questions first
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Thonypadua(m): 3:51pm On Feb 27, 2020
phineas:

So you think a student with 7 years of first degree and another 3 years of PHD is better positioned to teach students the practice of clinical medecine than a consultant with 7 years of medecine ,and 5-7 years of fellowship training which includes research work and practice in surgery?

Please know these consultants that teach all have long duration of post qualification practice experience
bro stop defending them, there are some MBBS that didn't go for fellow rather to choose academics after there first degree and they can not practice only to teach many of them are not collecting up to the ⅓ of those consultant.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by CSTR2: 3:53pm On Feb 27, 2020
Freddonance:

That means the work was trash.
No need for further talk
What does an ignoramus know?
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by SctDonald(m): 3:55pm On Feb 27, 2020
olsmade:
The PhD requirement to teach medical students clinical medicine makes absolutely no sense. I don’t know of any country in the world where this happens. having a PhD has nothing do with your clinical acumen.
..Academics is different from clinical practice. What NUC is trying to do is to separate them. If you want to go into academics, then after your MBBS program.. Msc, PhD, and prof.. But if you want to go into clinical practice, then follow the normal path..,and not combining the two.. More so, NUC is trying hinder them from having multiple or at dual jobs in federal institutions.. For instance, a consultant after working for some hours in hospital, will rush to class to lecture....If this is done, it will create room for government to absorbed those that studied courses like pure Anatomy, Physiology,... etc to lecture those courses to medical students....This is what those consultants saw, and decided to embark on strike.. This might affect their salary...
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by edoairways: 3:58pm On Feb 27, 2020
Virtutis:

The best thing to have done was to put a cap at the amount chargeable by Universities which they eventually came back to do.

JAMB is just getting it acts together and is not yet there.
Meaning candidates should be subjected to two exams to gain admission right?
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by edoairways: 4:00pm On Feb 27, 2020
SctDonald:
..Academics is different from clinical practice. What NUC is trying to do is to separate them. If you want to go into academics, then after your MBBS program.. Msc, PhD, and prof.. But if you want to go into clinical practice, then follow the normal path..,and not combining the two.. More so, NUC is trying hinder them from having multiple or at dual jobs in federal institutions.. For instance, a consultant after working for some hours in hospital, will rush to class to lecture....If this is done, it will create room for government to absorbed those that studied courses like pure Anatomy, Physiology,... etc to lecture those courses to medical students....This is what those consultants saw, and decided to embark on strike.. This might affect their salary...
Really!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

COVAX Excludes Nigeria From Pfizer Vaccine List To Prevent Wastage / Flood Overtakes Federal Medical Centre Otuoke, Bayelsa (Photo) / Trader Caught Spraying Sniper Insecticide On Stockfish Meant For Sale (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.