Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,269 members, 7,836,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan (35789 Views)

Nurses Withdraw Services At Plateau Isolation Centre Over Hazard Allowance / NMA, NARD Threaten To Withdraw Services Over Invitation Of Chinese Doctors / UCH Ibadan, A Death Trap: Official Reply From UCH Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 27, 2020
SctDonald:
..Academics is different from clinical practice. What NUC is trying to do is to separate them. If you want to go into academics, then after your MBBS program.. Msc, PhD, and prof.. But if you want to go into clinical practice, then follow the normal path..,and not combining the two.. More so, NUC is trying hinder them from having multiple or at dual jobs in federal institutions.. For instance, a consultant after working for some hours in hospital, will rush to class to lecture....If this is done, it will create room for government to absorbed those that studied courses like pure Anatomy, Physiology,... etc to lecture those courses to medical students....This is what those consultants saw, and decided to embark on strike.. This might affect their salary...
That's why you're a stark illiterate. How can you employ somebody who studied anatomy or Physiology to lecture a clinical course? Which clinical course is he or she going to lecture? Non-medical lecturers also have dual or multiple jobs elsewhere. It's normal. Government doesn't pay enough. So, they use it to augment their salaries. It's normal for a consultant to work in the hospital and lecture simultaneously. He or she is called an honorary consultant. It's the normal practice everywhere, even in America and Britain. You're a medical laboratory scientist. Your problem is both ignorance and hatred for doctors.

4 Likes

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 27, 2020
[quote author=SctDonald post=87004905]...your problem is that you don't know the true definition of hatred or envy.., if you do,, you wouldn't have typed those words...
In clinical classes, 400 level to 600 level.., you don't need Anatomists or physiologist to lecture them. What you need is a man who have defined his path in any of the branches of medicine.. What NUC is trying to do, is if you want to become O&G lecturer,you should move through that line and become a prof...,but if you want to practice your O&G,follow that path and get to any level you want to but keep to either lecturing or practice... This will help reduce founding, and capture those who have been scamming FG.. [/quote
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Jubilee1982: 5:49pm On Feb 27, 2020
NUC should maintain their ground. Medical doctors or dentists who wish to lecture in any of these departments; medical physiology, anatomy, medical biochemistry, and medicine should obtain their Msc and PhD or restrict themselves to clinics. I salute the courage of NUC to put an end of unqualified lecturers who think that as far as they have the so called MBBS or BDS they are good to go. I use this medium to call on the Federal government to sack any doctor who will because of this NUC laudable directive embark on strike.

2 Likes

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Iretii0511(m): 5:51pm On Feb 27, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

No. But I think that if I were to have a surgical operation, I would prefer that my surgeon be guided by a consultant with 20 years practical experience actually performing such surgeries over a doctor with a mere Phd who has spent more time behind a desk writing up research reports, and is still unsure of the difference between the back and front ends of the scalpel.

Now we are on a page. While the experience engineer will give a better field performance, the one with a PhD will be a better lecturer. It is what it is. A consultant is good, excellent if I may. However, a consultant with PhD will perform better in the classroom and in research which is the core of academic.

3 Likes

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Jubilee1982: 6:03pm On Feb 27, 2020
[quote author=Freddonance post=87004551]

It's obvious you don't really know what is obtainable yet arguing.
medical undergraduate program is divided into two. 1 Basic medicine
2. clinical medicine.
only Consultants teach medical students in their clinical years. in basic medicine, u can have a combination of anatomist, physiologist, biochemists & doctors who decided to go through Msc, PhD. while Doctors in basic medicine are required to go through the Msc program & PhD, their clinical counterparts are consultants who have met the criteria to be one. What we are saying is that u don't force dis consultants to get PhD cos the residency program they went through is higher than PhD & they have much knowledge then their PhD counterparts in the profession. It is easier to get a PhD than it is to be a consultant.[I think NUC should focus more on the Doctors and dentists Who teach at the preclinical stage. Majority of them have only MBBS and BDS. Take for example,in physiology department, there are more medical and dental doctors than the physiologists and some of them have no passion for their jobs. The most annoying part was an alleged plan to stop Non Medical degree holders from lecturing in these departments. Thanks to the vice Chancellors who unanimously refused the plan. I salute the courage of NUC if they should focus on those preclinical lecturers.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by israelmao(m): 6:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
Paper qualifications or experience?Everything is just going haywire under this government.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by MrEgghead(m): 6:20pm On Feb 27, 2020
Thonypadua:
bro stop defending them, there are some MBBS that didn't go for fellow rather to choose academics after there first degree and they can not practice only to teach many of them are not collecting up to the ⅓ of those consultant.
it's obvious many of you are ignorant of what medicine entails.
Those people who didn't have fellow did masters and phDs in basic Medical sciences which is the norm.
The training of a medical doctor is in two phases: Pre-clinical and clinical.
The problem now is with the Clinical part which is where we're getting it wrong.

They want them to be doing Ph.D in surgery , obstetrics , paediatrics WTF.
Medicine is not every 'dick and Harry" unlike what' is obtainable in other fields in Nigeria.
We apply our Knowledge into real life situations.

With their useless PhDs, what have they achieved?

1 Like

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by MrEgghead(m): 6:25pm On Feb 27, 2020
Jubilee1982:
NUC should maintain their ground. Medical doctors or dentists who wish to lecture in any of these departments; medical physiology, anatomy, medical biochemistry, and medicine should obtain their Msc and PhD or restrict themselves to clinics. I salute the courage of NUC to put an end of unqualified lecturers who think that as far as they have the so called MBBS or BDS they are good to go. I use this medium to call on the Federal government to sack any doctor who will because of this NUC laudable directive embark on strike.
Bros that doesn't happen in UNIBEN.
Our lecturers in BMS who are MBBS/BDS holders have atleast masters and are doing their pH.Ds

1 Like

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by gaskiyamagana: 6:26pm On Feb 27, 2020
Jh0wsef:
probably withdrawing ahead in case of the deadly epidemic .

sense no go kill Nigerians
This is salient truth behind their strike.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by MrEgghead(m): 6:32pm On Feb 27, 2020
SctDonald:
..Academics is different from clinical practice. What NUC is trying to do is to separate them. If you want to go into academics, then after your MBBS program.. Msc, PhD, and prof.. But if you want to go into clinical practice, then follow the normal path..,and not combining the two.. More so, NUC is trying hinder them from having multiple or at dual jobs in federal institutions.. For instance, a consultant after working for some hours in hospital, will rush to class to lecture....If this is done, it will create room for government to absorbed those that studied courses like pure Anatomy, Physiology,... etc to lecture those courses to medical students....This is what those consultants saw, and decided to embark on strike.. This might affect their salary...
The most stupid and senseless comment I've seen this year.
You mean graduates of Anatomy and physiology to be taking taking medical students to paediatrics, O and G, Opthalmology clinic.

I'll take you for a neophyte who is grossly oblivious of his direction in life.

2 Likes

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by NaMeAboki: 6:34pm On Feb 27, 2020
olsmade:
The PhD requirement to teach medical students clinical medicine makes absolutely no sense. I don’t know of any country in the world where this happens. having a PhD has nothing do with your clinical acumen.

There are rules and standards which should apply to all without exception; these (consultant) doctors who are also employed as lecturers for medical students simply want to be exempted from the NUC criteria for lecturers without any justifiable reason; other than they are doctors who also see patients.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by joelison(m): 6:40pm On Feb 27, 2020
Yankee101:
Opportunity for qualified doctors looking for jobs

Even if they are Indian, bring them in

Nigeria cannot pay them. They didn't withdraw from clinical practice rather they withdrew from classroom
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 27, 2020
Yankee101:

Yep. Lots of Indians. They have all sorts of qualifications sef not only PhD
you cant afford the indians, trust me
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by joelison(m): 6:47pm On Feb 27, 2020
Yankee101:
Opportunity for qualified doctors looking for jobs

Even if they are Indian, bring them in

Knowledge they say is power and common sense is not common, u just exhibit it now

1 Like

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by josite: 6:50pm On Feb 27, 2020
getting the theory very right makes you a far better practitioner .medicine is research and researcher is medicine.any mbbs holder that will not go through the rigours of msc and phd should treat but not teach.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 27, 2020
madridsta007:

They should proceed to write their PLAB exams.
And move to the NHS.
pls come and guide a sister abeg.

i cannot gtake this country's nonsense anymore
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 27, 2020
phineas:
So they should have like a PHD in surgey,oncology,or PHD in gastrointestinal surgery to teach medical students and residents how to practice medecine.

Someone in NUC needs to be sacked asap
Only in Nigeria we emphasize certificate to talent ....meanwhile the guys and ladies who made gaint strides in medicine are people who do research not people who wear titles.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Yankee101: 7:27pm On Feb 27, 2020
funmisticqueen2:
you cant afford the indians, trust me

Obviously you do not know that Indians are already in the system. Alot of em
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by joelison(m): 7:33pm On Feb 27, 2020
I see many bittered and envious souls here.. U same common citizens will suffer if nuc fails to retrace their steps.. If consultants without phd leaves medical teaching and face only clinical practice then there will never be new medical graduates in Nigeria...

Some foolish nigerians who crucify their messiahs and hail their killers deserve every beat of maltreatment they are receiving from the govt.

Some think medical training ends in classroom? They dont know that the training continue in clinics, wardrounds and theaters, anyway nigerians do not deserve good governance..

Let d phd holders still take medical students to clinic, wardrounds and theatres.. Foolish nigerians everywhere

3 Likes

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Yankee101: 7:34pm On Feb 27, 2020
joelison:

Knowledge they say is power and common sense is not common, u just exhibit it now

Display your own knowledge please

A PhD is a clear cut set of requirements to meet a given standard of higher qualification.

Naija consultancy is cabal based. Every professor has a candidate and, a quota, once reached, every other qualified candidate has to resist exams afresh.

I'm sure you don't know that alot of senior registrars support the NUC. They want a set criteria for meeting consultancy requirements, not based on how someone likes my face or not
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Zoroaster: 7:39pm On Feb 27, 2020
johnjay4u2u:
some Nigerians just hate doctors for no good reason. See the rubbish many wrote up here.

The rubbish politicians on your streets are there, you will be hailing them.
someone fighting for what's his/her right, then you see mumu everywhere insulting.
Do you know how other countries are welcoming Nigerian doctors.

Make una sit there o.
your eyes go clear soon.
Very soon they wont even have doctors to hate on.
Every doctor i know na abroad their eyes dey

1 Like

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 7:53pm On Feb 27, 2020
they dont last long.
most of them dont do the licensing exams to practice in the country which is illegal.

in essence, they are quacks.

but it;s all good.
you hypocrites prefer quacks to treat you and milk your pockets dry, as long as they are foreigners
Yankee101:

Obviously you do not know that Indians are already in the system. Alot of em
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Yankee101: 7:55pm On Feb 27, 2020
funmisticqueen2:
they dont last long.
most of them dont do the licensing exams to practice in the country which is illegal.

in essence, they are quacks.

but it;s all good.
you hypocrites prefer quacks to treat you and milk your pockets dry, as long as they are foreigners

Nope.

What I don't want is people dying cos the consultant is away on conference or locum or referring people to his private hospital before they can get good care

Keep defending all the nonsense unprofessional things consultants keep doing cos they feel they are untouchable. Vet and Medical consultants are the highest paid university employees in Nigeria
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by danilmo: 8:00pm On Feb 27, 2020
SctDonald:

U don't know what ure talking about. Lol, medicine is a very difficult course that need ur practical /visual knowledge to understand the theories. That's Y we use practical cadaver in year 2 so we can appreciate the theory. If not , medicine can break ur brain, I'm been real here..

Then wen we get to clinical class, we do classroom work, then ward round, theatre @ life practical comes to play with the consultant practicalise everything he taught in class to student.. So in other word, u can never have a seperate PhD in surgery and another Consultant in surgery..

Unless those consultant choose to go for PhD which on the good day too shallow for their wealth of knowledge.. A waste of time.

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by UbaGwele: 8:03pm On Feb 27, 2020
SctDonald:

Wonderful assessment of the crisis... If it's not your profession... Ask questions and be cleared... That they went on strike means they have a genuine course to do so... No one goes on strike in this country without genuine reason... Follow the matter and comment accordingly...
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by johnjay4u2u(m): 8:07pm On Feb 27, 2020
SciLab:
The NUC is very simple, get your PhD to teach students or leave the university system and remain your consultation where your professional fellowships are applicable. It is applicable to every other course of study
Why do physicians think the rules must be bent for them always?

because that is the practice in medicine all over the world.

1 Like

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by SciLab: 8:13pm On Feb 27, 2020
johnjay4u2u:

because that is the practice in medicine all over the world.

The standard all over the world is for lecturers in medical colleges is "MD, PhD". Even surgeons go for PhD if they want to lecture.

Stop trying to deceive Nigerians.

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 27, 2020
Yankee101:

Nope.

What I don't want is people dying cos the consultant is away on conference or locum or referring people to his private hospital before they can get good care

Keep defending all the nonsense unprofessional things consultants keep doing cos they feel they are untouchable. Vet and Medical consultants are the highest paid university employees in Nigeria
but you are defending quackery.

infact, let all the doctors go abroad where they are valued.

i leave you and yoour family to your fate
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Yankee101: 8:24pm On Feb 27, 2020
funmisticqueen2:
but you are defending quackery.

infact, let all the doctors go abroad where they are valued.

i leave you and yoour family to your fate

I'm not in Nigeria if that helps lower your heartburn
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by johnjay4u2u(m): 8:31pm On Feb 27, 2020
SciLab:

The standard all over the world is for lecturers in medical colleges is "MD, PhD". Even surgeons go for PhD if they want to lecture.

Stop trying to deceive Nigerians.

please list the countries.
what many of you don't understand is medical practice is divided into preclinical and clinical.
in Nigeria, doctors do PhD in preclinical courses to lecture in Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry.
The clinical is different.
The teaching in clinical is more of in the hospital beside the sick patient, in the operation theatre where surgery is being done.
How do you want someone who hasn't done any surgery before but only had PhD in surgery be lecturing in the hospital?

1 Like

Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by GerogeI(m): 8:50pm On Feb 27, 2020
It seems we have another heardsman in charge of NUC.
He is only completing the cycle of retrogression started in 2015.

Bereft of any positive idea on how to improve the medical program , except for dummy PhDs.
Re: 300 Medical Consultants Withdraw Services From UCH, University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 27, 2020
Iretii0511:

Now we are on a page. While the experience engineer will give a better field performance, the one with a PhD will be a better lecturer. It is what it is. A consultant is good, excellent if I may. However, a consultant with PhD will perform better in the classroom and in research which is the core of academic.

You are conflating good research methodology with better teaching; not at all related. A consultant with a Phd may certainly perform better on research but worse in a classroom teaching students how to perform surgeries which he has little experience in. Not only will the consultant on the fellowship ptheay show a better field performance, he will also be able to impart a better knowledge of field performance to his students.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

COVAX Excludes Nigeria From Pfizer Vaccine List To Prevent Wastage / Flood Overtakes Federal Medical Centre Otuoke, Bayelsa (Photo) / Trader Caught Spraying Sniper Insecticide On Stockfish Meant For Sale (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.