Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,235 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 (10256 Views)

INEC Decentralises PVC Distribution, To Publish Voters Register Jan 13 / If FG Declares Citizenship Instead Of State Of Origin On D 1st Jan 13 / Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13. . .41st Anniversary Of The End Of Biafra War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by axglide(m): 4:50pm On Dec 23, 2010
painful as this development seems, i wish the IKEMBA well.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by aljharem11(m): 4:54pm On Dec 23, 2010
axglide:

painful as this development seems, i wish the IKEMBA well.

do not worry brother, ikemba will be well,,,,,fear not oh man of little faith
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Xfactoria: 5:03pm On Dec 23, 2010
Toaskarity:

why wont we celebrate the man that saw what we are suffering today in the late 60s eh?
ojukwu wanted to be president because (as in military regime)he was hihger in rank than gowon and even awolowo will request the same if he was in the position lipsrsealed

Oh, ! You actually think Ojukwu felt your sufferings? How? A "butty" guy fresh from spending his father's hard earned money in the UK? Emeka never cultivated a ridge nor did he know how to hunt, plant maize or yam or whatever, he was a spoilt brat who was desperate to live the live the he saw the Queen and the royal family live in the UK while he he was there schooling. He desperately wanted to be King!

About the event leading to the war, you should blame Chuwuemeka Kaduna Nzeogwu for daring to kill the Sardauna and Balewa while allowing the likes of Zik and other Igbo leaders to live. After that 1966 coup, no Igbo leader was killed and the north were left without a leader, the mid-west lost Okotie- Eboh and the West lost Akintola and yet that monster called Nzeogwu claimed it had no ethnic undertone. And as if rendering the North "leaderless" was not enough, Ironsi added salt to injury and portrayed the Jan. 1966 coup as an Igbo agenda when almost all his federal ministers and the newly promoted high hierarchy in the military were Igbos. Within 6 months of that regime, the Igbos were everywhere and were in charge while the North leaked their wounds. So when the North woke up and decided to retaliate with July 1966 coup and a threat of secession, Nigeria was plunged into crisis of all sorts and Ojukwu opted to lead his people away into what has remained till today a dream - "Biafra". Ojukwu actually wanted to be President after the most senior guy in the military at that time refused to be President. The injustice to the North at that time was clear!

Point of correction, Ojukwu was not senior to Gowon. In fact, Ojukwu and Gowon were both promoted to the rank of a Lt. Col the same day. Please go and dust your history books.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by teeceexx: 5:09pm On Dec 23, 2010
Ikemba you re going nowhere. We still need you around.

Get well soon!
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by chosen04(f): 5:22pm On Dec 23, 2010
~Bluetooth:

No.The so called Aburi was a manipulation,therefore couldn't have solve the problem.

OMO, who manipulated who? . . . . . . . . .And last time i checked problems are resloved during ''conferencial dialogues'' . . . . . . . .So, why was ABURI different?
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Metalgoong(m): 5:34pm On Dec 23, 2010
X-factoria:

Oh, ! You actually think Ojukwu felt your sufferings? How? A "butty" guy fresh from spending his father's hard earned money in the UK? Emeka never cultivated a ridge nor did he know how to hunt, plant maize or yam or whatever, he was a spoilt brat who was desperate to live the live the he saw the Queen and the royal family live in the UK while he he was there schooling. He desperately wanted to be King!

About the event leading to the war, you should blame Chuwuemeka Kaduna Nzeogwu for daring to kill the Sardauna and Balewa while allowing the likes of Zik and other Igbo leaders to live. After that 1966 coup, no Igbo leader was killed and the north were left without a leader, the mid-west lost Okotie- Eboh and the West lost Akintola and yet that monster called Nzeogwu claimed it had no ethnic undertone. And as if rendering the North "leaderless" was not enough, Ironsi added salt to injury and portrayed the Jan. 1966 coup as an Igbo agenda when almost all his federal ministers and the newly promoted high hierarchy in the military were Igbos. Within 6 months of that regime, the Igbos were everywhere and were in charge while the North leaked their wounds. So when the North woke up and decided to retaliate with July 1966 coup and a threat of secession, Nigeria was plunged into crisis of all sorts and Ojukwu opted to lead his people away into what has remained till today a dream - "Biafra". Ojukwu actually wanted to be President after the most senior guy in the military at that time refused to be President. The injustice to the North at that time was clear!

Point of correction, Ojukwu was not senior to Gowon. In fact, Ojukwu and Gowon were both promoted to the rank of a Lt. Col the same day. Please go and dust your history books.

And your point is . . . . . . ? . . . mere ranting of a mad man.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 23, 2010
chosen04:

OMO, who manipulated who? . . . . . . . . .And last time i checked problems are resloved during ''conferencial dialogues'' . . . . . . . .So, why was ABURI different?
chosen04:

Aburi ought to be a conflict-resolution conference and not secession conference.
do you think the Gowon-led government would attend the conference if it was aware that Secession would be discussed ?
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2010
One of the aid? hmm

Are they sure? Or na another olojukokoro wey wan chop ikemba's wife?

Anywaz, on Jan. 13th or before that, may you rest in peace o.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 23, 2010
Like baba ara said

"iku n bo losan, iku n bo loru, akunu n pariwo, olowo n pariwo. Ilu ma le o, Ilu ma le o!"
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by chosen04(f): 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Aburi ought to be a conflict-resolution conference and not secession conference.
do you think the Gowon-led government would attend the conference if it was aware that Secession would be discussed ?

Aburi was and still remains a conflict resolution conference. Who discussed Secession at Aburi?

Secession only became inevitable after GOWON developed guile tendencies (cos of bad advisers) when it was time to implement the signed and agreed terms at ABURI

But . . . . . . .You are yet to tell us who manipulated who during ABURI accord? Was FG delegation manipulated into signing the agreed terms by the foreign observers or who did?
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by RichyBlacK(m): 6:16pm On Dec 23, 2010
X-factoria:

Why did the "most senior guy in the military" refuse "to be President"?
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Nobody: 6:18pm On Dec 23, 2010
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13

This will give Senator Obahiagbon ample time to construct a tsunami inducing tribute to the old rebel.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Nobody: 6:19pm On Dec 23, 2010
chosen04:

Aburi was and still remains a conflict resolution conference. Who discussed Secession at Aburi?

Secession only became inevitable after GOWON developed guile tendencies (cos of bad advisers) when it was time to implement the signed and agreed terms at ABURI

But . . . . . . .You are yet to tell us who manipulated who during ABURI accord? Was FG delegation manipulated into signing the agreed terms by the foreign observers or who did?
What exactly was the objective of Aburi ?
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by RichyBlacK(m): 6:21pm On Dec 23, 2010
I wish the Ikemba well.

Only the profoundly ignorant Igbo son or daughter will not appreciate the courage and leadership of the Ikemba during the prewar pogrom of Ndi-Igbo. True, many Igbos lost their lives, however, that war made something clear: Igbos have the will and capacity to fight, if pushed. The result is that we may be accused of anything else in this world, but not of cowardice or the paralysis induced by the fear of death.

We died cry, but we live on! grin

May God bless Ndi-Igbo!
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Katsumoto: 6:32pm On Dec 23, 2010
X-factoria:

Ojukwu actually wanted to be President after the most senior guy in the military at that time refused to be President. The injustice to the North at that time was clear!

RichyBlacK:

Why did the "most senior guy in the military" refuse "to be President"?

I do not want to derail this thread but I have to clear this factually inaccurate statement.

Ogundipe did not refuse to be president. Ogundipe was repeatedly ignored by Northern NCOs who refused to take orders from him when he was trying to quell the July 1966 coup. It is on record that Northern NCOs would only accept orders from Joe Garba who was junior to Ogundipe by many steps. There were many senior Yoruba officers in the Army but Yorubas were under-represented in NCO numbers. With the Northerners having murdered a significant number of Igbo NCOs, the Northerners had the advantage of numbers in the military.

Secondly, after the coup plotters were holed up in Ikeja cantonment, there was a stalemate. Ogundipe sent Gowon to negotiate with the plotters (Adamu, Murtala, etc). The plotters refused to recognise Ogundipe as the next Head and Ogundipe refused Murtala (who was the leader of the plotters) as the next head. Murtala's aim was to secede but he was talked out of it by the British and American diplomats who were present at Ikeja. Instead, Gowon was selected because he was from the North and he was senior to Murtala Mohammed.

Ogundipe did the honourable thing by accepting the compromise in the interest of the country otherwise there would have been more blood-shed.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by RichyBlacK(m): 6:45pm On Dec 23, 2010
Katsumoto:

I do not want to derail this thread but I have to clear this factually inaccurate statement.

Ogundipe did not refuse to be president. Ogundipe was repeatedly ignored by Northern NCOs who refused to take orders from him when he was trying to quell the July 1966 coup. It is on record that Northern NCOs would only accept orders from Joe Garba who was junior to Ogundipe by many steps. There were many senior Yoruba officers in the Army but Yorubas were under-represented in NCO numbers. With the Northerners having murdered a significant number of Igbo NCOs, the Northerners had the advantage of numbers in the military.

Secondly, after the coup plotters were holed up in Ikeja cantonment, there was a stalemate. Ogundipe sent Gowon to negotiate with the plotters (Adamu, Murtala, etc). The plotters refused to recognise Ogundipe as the next Head and Ogundipe refused Murtala (who was the leader of the plotters) as the next head. Murtala's aim was to secede but he was talked out of it by the British and American diplomats who were present at Ikeja. Instead, Gowon was selected because he was from the North and he was senior to Murtala Mohammed.

Ogundipe did the honourable thing by accepting the compromise in the interest of the country otherwise there would have been more blood-shed.

Raises the question:

Seeing the open disloyalty of Northern NCOs to Yoruba officers, would there have been "more blood-shed" if the Yorubas reciprocally refused to go along with what seemed like a Northern agenda? That is, why would it not have been reasonable for the Yorubas to have allowed the North (and other minorities of similar philosophies) to "go it alone" and roundly refuse to participate?
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 23, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Raises the question:

Seeing the open disloyalty of Northern NCOs to Yoruba officers, would there have been "more blood-shed" if the Yorubas reciprocally refused to go along with what seemed like a Northern agenda? That is, why would it not have been reasonable for the Yorubas to have allowed the North (and other minorities of similar philosophies) to "go it alone" and roundly refuse to participate?

That would have been the end of Nigeria, which in turn would have been Yorubas going along with the ibo agenda. (i.e secession )
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by OchiAgha2(m): 6:57pm On Dec 23, 2010
RichyBlacK:

I wish the Ikemba well.

Only the profoundly ignorant Igbo son or daughter will not appreciate the courage and leadership of the Ikemba during the prewar pogrom of Ndi-Igbo. True, many Igbos lost their lives, however, that war made something clear: Igbos have the will and capacity to fight, if pushed. The result is that we may be accused of anything else in this world, but not of cowardice or the paralysis induced by the fear of death.

We died cry, but we live on! grin

May God bless Ndi-Igbo!

May you live long and prosper as well. Brilliant post by a wise Igbo sage. May your lineage be blessed my brother.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 23, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

May you live long and prosper as well. Brilliant post by a wise Igbo sage. May your lineage be blessed my brother.

Bull sh.it. Even a goat will fight back if you push it to the wall. Maybe goats also should beat their chests for their uncommon valor.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Onlytruth(m): 7:02pm On Dec 23, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Raises the question:

I have stayed away from nairaland to pray for the recovery of the Ikemba. I am still praying for his recovery, but if it is God's will for him to die, so be it. God always has a better plan for his people Ndigbo.

Thanks Richy. I missed you here sorely.

BTW I don't expect Katsumoto or any of like minded Yoruba's here to answer those questions.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Katsumoto: 7:06pm On Dec 23, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Raises the question:

With the advantage of numbers particularly in the West, what would have stopped a murdering bunch of Northerners from murdering Yoruba officers and civilians who opposed their plan? Afterall, they just decimated their number one rivals and partners, the Igbos, in the military and government?  Don't forget that most of the killings occured in Abeokuta, Ibadan, and Lagos.

The British and Americans were the main guilty parties who prevented Murtala from seceding. Murtala's plan to secede would have prevented the pogroms and civil war in my opinion.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Katsumoto: 7:09pm On Dec 23, 2010
Onlytruth:

BTW I don't expect Katsumoto or any of like minded Yoruba's here to answer those questions.

Unlike you, I do not run away from a legitimate and devoid of tribal abuse debate. If Richy's argument is stronger than mine, I will concede.

I was typing my reply while you were posting yours.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by RichyBlacK(m): 7:10pm On Dec 23, 2010
Aigbofa:

That would have been the end of Nigeria, which in turn would have been Yorubas going along with the ibo agenda. (i.e secession )

1. And what is so sacrosanct about Nigeria?
2. Who was it again that referred to Nigeria as a mere geographic expression?
3. So, doing something reasonable (particularly in the face of open disloyalty, ridicule and humiliation) was impeded because it some other group would do it in the future?
4. The declaration of Biafra was still a future event at the time Ogundipe and other Yoruba military officers were being ignored and ridiculed by Northern NCOs. So, how does Igbo secession in 1967 factor in the Yoruba decision in 1966?
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by RichyBlacK(m): 7:15pm On Dec 23, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

Ochi_Agha,

Thank you and may God bless you and your family.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by RichyBlacK(m): 7:18pm On Dec 23, 2010
Onlytruth:

I have stayed away from nairaland to pray for the recovery of the Ikemba. I am still praying for his recovery, but if it is God's will for him to die, so be it. God always has a better plan for his people Ndigbo.

Thanks Richy. I missed you here sorely.

Onlytruth,

I've been very busy for sometime but just got some free time this holiday period. We are all praying for the Ikemba's recovery.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 23, 2010
@x-factoria stop this spoilt thing concerning the love he has for his people NDI IGBO. anyway it seems u talk out of point because as a knowledgeable human you suppose to know there are immediate and remote cause in war and ur words depend mostly on remote cause which linked to  ur military that or this.I wont ask you if you were OJUKWU and your ppple are been massacared like fowl even killing unborn babies and war is the only alternative! WHAT WILL YOU DO?
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 23, 2010
The man said he wants to die on the 13th.

You ppl want him to recover. . . .

And the politicians are doing their own to come up with stuff to say for his tribute.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by okunoba(m): 7:27pm On Dec 23, 2010
This is not the time to judge or praise Ojukwu but a time to show human compassion to a fellow human being.  
I wish the Ikembe a speedy recovery but god knows best.
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by RichyBlacK(m): 7:39pm On Dec 23, 2010
Katsumoto:

With the advantage of numbers particularly in the West, what would have stopped a murdering bunch of Northerners from murdering Yoruba officers and civilians who opposed their plan? Afterall, they just decimated their number one rivals and partners, the Igbos, in the military and government?  Don't forget that most of the killings occured in Abeokuta, Ibadan, and Lagos.

The British and Americans were the main guilty parties who prevented Murtala from seceding. Murtala's plan to secede would have prevented the pogroms and civil war in my opinion.

Well, a lot would have stopped it:

1. The Yorubas constituted some of the best military strategists in the Nigerian military as evidenced by their superior performance during the Biafran War. I don't have the list, but I want to wager that a sizable proportion of the Sandhurst-trained officers were Igbos and Yorubas. (Please furnish the list if you have it).

2. The North would have factored the risk of losing a potential ally in their preparations to fight the Igbos.

3. The same numerical argument works in the reverse: Northern strategists would have shuddered at the prospect of a forced alliance of Igbos and Yorubas driven by the massacre of Yoruba officers and the likely consequences.

4. Murdering Yoruba officers would arguably have been military suicide for the North.

I believe the above points are obvious and would readily have deterred any excesses by Northern aggressors against Yoruba officers since it was certain that Igbos would never support the North in their agenda. The prospect of the North fighting on two fronts would have dampened their appetite for "more blood-shed".
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by dayokanu(m): 7:41pm On Dec 23, 2010
Wish him well
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by seanet02: 7:57pm On Dec 23, 2010
Which one should we say answer to Die on January 13 or recover well?
Re: Surprise : Ojukwu Wishes To Die Jan 13 by bkbabe97y(m): 7:57pm On Dec 23, 2010
Baiscally, all I'm seeing is the Ibos still griping (1 billion years later) why the Yorubas didnt join them in their fight against the Hausas!

Biyytch niggaz! You chose to fight, go it alone! Why must the Yorubas join you?! Youre so hungry for Ikemba to become King, then fight your "Noble" fight alone!

Why didnt Yoruba do this, why didnt Yoruba do that?

WHY DIDNT YOUR BLOOD THIRSTY, GREEDY, DESPOTIC, POWER HUNGRY GRAND FATHERS REFRAIN FROM KILLING ALL IMPORTANT NON-IBOS IN JAN' 66?!!

Man, yall Ibos sicken me! Buncha history distorters!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Crude Export To Increase By 380,000b/d In Days / Ike Ekweremadu Bags Chieftaincy Title Of Of Enyi Oha 1 Of Okpanku In Enugu(pics) / Despite Loans, Nigeria’s Socio-Economic Conditions Deteriorated ― IMF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.