Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,041 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate (8038 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Finally Reacts To Arms Deal / PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy / In Losing Power, Goodluck Jonathan Finally Finds Himself-olusegun Adeniyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 30, 2010
Let Jonathan and Atiku come out and debate the future of this country. I don't know who will come out on top or whether any of them will even make sense, but I know that the excersize itself will be good for our democracy. It sets a very good precedent for future Intra party and general election battles.

Jonathan accepts to face Atiku in a debate, describes Jos killing as a national embarrassment

Port-Harcourt (WorldStage Newsonline)-- President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria on Thursday in Port Harcourt accepted to engage his main opposition for the presidential ticket of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar in a political debate.
He said the debate must be at the instance of the party, noting that what he was expecting was a debate between the party flag bearer and other candidates where issues based on manifestoes would be debated and not for co-aspirant throwing challenge as if it was a wrestling competition.

President Jonathan 201l political ambition also got a boost as the South- South delegates to the coming Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) national convention unanimously endorsed him during a meeting in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State.

Delegates from the six states of the region openly endorsed the Jonathan/Sambo ticket as the best based on what the duo have been able to achieve within the short period of the administration.

Jonathan who thanked the delegates for their support said he was ready to take up the challenge of his main opponent whenever the party deems it fit for them to meet.

“I am waiting for the party to invite me for presidential debate,” he said

http://www.worldstagegroup.com/worldstage/index.php?&id=1558&active=news

However I must add that it is one thing to accept the debate and yet it is quite another to make it happen. The President is capable of accepting the debate in public but blocking it in private.

Over to you PDP and Cyril Stober. You guys should work hard quickly to make this happen. Atiku campaign should ramp up the pressure on PDP to make one happen. But I will not be suprised if Nwodo shamefully dodges and refuse to host the debate due to power from above.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 30, 2010
noting that what he was expecting was a debate between the party flag bearer and other candidates where issues based on manifestoes would be debated and not for co-aspirant throwing challenge as if it was a wrestling competition.

I also found the above quote by Jonathan very interesting. Is he saying that two members of the same political party have nothing to debate about? Does he not know that the flagbearer's world view on so many things like economy, security, education has the effect of shaping the party manifesto?

Or is he saying that he as President has had no input on policy making but accepts everything his political party ask him to do?

little wonder he shared the money in ECA just because Governors who belonged to his party wanted him to do so.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by DisGuy: 9:47pm On Dec 30, 2010
He said the debate must be at the instance of the party

Yea right, I bet he is looking for a way to get it scrapped in private by his buddy Nwodo
there's a meeting on the 4h January- he wants to debate his way out in private
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Abagworo(m): 10:05pm On Dec 30, 2010
GEJ is right that debate is meant to be between parties.Atiku and GEJ both represent thesame interest and therefore have nothing to debate but make ridicule of their party.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nsiman(m): 10:08pm On Dec 30, 2010
Yea i think it should be inter-party debate and not intra-party debate because each party has their manifestos
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 10:11pm On Dec 30, 2010
He said the debate must be at the instance of the party, noting that what he was expecting was a debate between the party flag bearer and other candidates where issues based on manifestoes would be debated and not for co-aspirant throwing challenge as if it was a wrestling competition.

So funny and so true! grin
Atiku and his campaigners have depicted themselves more as neanderthal's, as they jump and hop about madly declaring war, sour grapes, violence and ethnic bigotry. Sad bunch of stone age bigoted crazies.
Thank God, the days of such bigoted misfits is over, now lets watch the leading dunce, Atiku backslide rapidly from his "wrestling" challenge.

Pure entertainment!
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by ahidjo: 10:11pm On Dec 30, 2010
[size=14pt]Jonathan the uneducated president[/size]
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Olaedo1: 10:15pm On Dec 30, 2010
Umm, if i'm not mistaking, isn't the presidential PDP primary on Jan.13? A debate in such short time, not happening.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by daroz(m): 10:30pm On Dec 30, 2010
this Atiku is a real desperate fool, how would u want to involve ur party member in a public debate? Are u both, being from the same party suppose to have the same manifesto and agenda? I have not seen anywhere in the world where this is done. Doing so will ridicule the party, frankly speaking.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by lagbaja20: 10:33pm On Dec 30, 2010
daroz:

this Atiku is a real desperate fool, how would u want to involve your party member in a public debate? Are u both, being from the same party suppose to have the same manifesto and agenda? I have not seen anywhere in the world where this is done. Doing so will ridicule the party, frankly speaking.

It is done in the US

At every level of their presidential election, people debate each other

Kerry debated Hillary so many times before their primaries; so it is no big deal!
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 10:43pm On Dec 30, 2010
Abagworo:

GEJ is right that debate is meant to be between parties.Atiku and GEJ both represent thesame interest and therefore have nothing to debate but make ridicule of their party.

I can not disagree more. In fact intra party debate is more necessary in Nigeria than in any other democracies like UK or US. For the following reasons.

1. Unlike in US or UK where you can easily class a political party on one end of the polical spectrum or in the middle. The PDP can not be classed anywhere, it is not a coalition of people with common values hence necessary to listen to the individual world views of each candidate and the values they stand for.

We will like to know whether they believe in high taxes in other to fund universal schemes like free education (i.e. belonging to the left); or whether they believe in tax cuts so are to boost business (which is a traditional conservative agenda ).

We will like to see Atiku take on Jonathan's economic policies and criticise his spending spree while Jonathan defends his spending records. These are the sort of differences only a debate can expose. It will be nice to see Jonathan defending his dustbin import policy while claiming to want to industrialise Nigeria. It will be nice to see Jonathan defend the waste on independence day in the name of celebration and yet we have a bill in NASS to borrow money from oversea.

2. PDP Primaries is still very critical to the future of this country and hence it is necessary to institutionalise democracy in that party.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 30, 2010
Obama debated Hillary
Ed Miliband debated David Milliband
John McCain debated Mitt Romney.

There is nothing wrong the same members of the same party debating.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 30, 2010
Anybody who says they have not seen people of the same party debating has simply not looked well enough

see link of Democratic Party debate here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD9F1t9GQzA&feature=related
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by lagbaja20: 10:54pm On Dec 30, 2010
mikeansy:

I can not disagree more. In fact intra party debate is more necessary in Nigeria than in any other democracies like UK or US. For the following reasons.

1. Unlike in US or UK where you can easily class a political party on one end of the polical spectrum or in the middle. The PDP can not be classed anywhere, it is not a coalition of people with common values hence necessary to listen to the individual world views of each candidate and the values they stand for.

We will like to know whether they believe in high taxes in other to fund universal schemes like free education (i.e. belonging to the left); or whether they believe in tax cuts so are to boost business (which is a traditional conservative agenda ).

We will like to see Atiku take on Jonathan's economic policies and criticise his spending spree while Jonathan defends his spending records. These are the sort of differences only a debate can expose. It will be nice to see Jonathan defending his dustbin import policy while claiming to want to industrialise Nigeria. It will be nice to see Jonathan defend the waste on independence day in the name of celebration and yet we have a bill in NASS to borrow money from oversea.

2. PDP Primaries is still very critical to the future of this country and hence it is necessary to institutionalise democracy in that party.

I think you may be asking for too much

I just wanna make sure that those people Atiku and Jonathan are human beings, not some crazy fellas. Everything else, i can live with!
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 10:57pm On Dec 30, 2010
mikeansy:

Anybody listening to you would think you were a PDP reformer. Why is your holy crusade limited to PDP, yet you are not even a member?
You are really sounding quite desperate with your anti-Jonathan message.

How about writing articles and sweating profusely over presidential debates in ACN, APGA, LP, ANPP, CPC etc?

Give it up, there are no wheels on your rickety bus.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 30, 2010
Beaf:

Anybody listening to you would think you were a PDP reformer. Why is your holy crusade limited to PDP, yet you are not even a member?
You are really sounding quite desperate with your anti-Jonathan message.

How about writing articles and sweating profusely over presidential debates in ACN, APGA, LP, ANPP, CPC etc?

Give it up, there are no wheels on your rickety bus.

If asking Jonathan to defend his own records amounts to anti-Jonathan messages then it simply means Jonathan's record is simply filled with negatives. It seems to me you agree this much.

Its a democracy mate, live with it. We can not all support the same candidate; you can help Jonathan defend his records if my revelations break your heart.

Explaining the wisdom behind approval of importation of dustbins when there are all kinds of plastic manufacturers in the country will be a good start.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nsiman(m): 11:14pm On Dec 30, 2010
@ mikeansy, that of independence day spending i differ with u, it was not budgeted by gej but Yar'adua, gej rather cut down the previous budgetary allocation to it
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 11:17pm On Dec 30, 2010
mikeansy:

If asking Jonathan to defend his own records amounts to anti-Jonathan messages then it simply means Jonathan's record is simply filled with negatives. It seems to me you agree this much.

Its a democracy mate, live with it. We can not all support the same candidate; you can help Jonathan defend his records if my revelations break your heart.

Explaining the wisdom behind approval of importation of dustbins when there are all kinds of plastic manufacturers in the country will be a good start.

Damn! Is Jonathan a political party?
How about ACN, APGA, LP, ANPP, CPC etc? Why not spread the immense "love" you have for PDP by suggesting the very same processes to them? Preach that they should organise debates. Research, google, paste youtube links in support.
I am really worried that you are overly concerned with the affairs of PDP. Why don't other parties matter to you? Why only PDP? And you aren't even a member!!!
Na wa! Entertainment 2010!!!

Why pretend to be campaigning for better politics when your motives are clearly in view (hidden only from yourself); who are you decieving, but yourself?
Dude, you are losing coherence and beginning to sound as far out and weird as Gbawe.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nsiman(m): 11:23pm On Dec 30, 2010
@ beaf, do u knw mikeansy face to face? If no, how do u conclude that he doesn't belong to a political party? I guest, mikeansy is a decampee from pdp.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 11:32pm On Dec 30, 2010
Nsiman:

@ beaf, do u knw mikeansy face to face? If no, how do u conclude that he doesn't belong to a political party? I guest, mikeansy is a decampee from pdp.

So what? Perhaps he should take the campaign to his new party then? There are presidential aspirants in several parties outside PDP, ACN, APGA, LP, ANPP, CPC etc.
Spread the "love" is all I'm saying.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by excanny: 12:55am On Dec 31, 2010
Of what use is an intra-party debate in Nigeria when the public can not vote in the primaries?

IMO, it's of no use. The party to party debate still makes some sense at least for now.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by lagbaja20: 1:03am On Dec 31, 2010
excanny:

Of what use is an intra-party debate in Nigeria when the public can not vote in the primaries?

IMO, it's of no use. The party to party debate still makes some sense at least for now.

A one time post-primaries debate cannot and will not address all pertinent issues.

Well the public votes during the primaries. The people voting at the primaries are Nigerians/representative of Nigerians, isnt it?
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 1:09am On Dec 31, 2010
lagbaja20:

A one time post-primaries debate cannot and will not address all pertinent issues.

Well the public votes during the primaries. The people voting at the primaries are Nigerians/representative of Nigerians, isnt it?

Is that a New Years joke?
They are just party reps, chosen by the party hierachy. Nobody voted for them.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by excanny: 1:11am On Dec 31, 2010
lagbaja20:

Well the pubic votes during the primaries. The people voting at the primaries are Nigerians/representative of Nigerians, isnt it?

Which representatives? The ones that rigged themselves into offices? Do they even give an eff about the nigerian public?
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Rousseau: 1:12am On Dec 31, 2010
I support an intra-party debate. The reason I support this motion is due to the fact, that people have their own personal views on the issue. It would be refreshing to hear their stances on the various issues.

Even in the United States, you see inter-party debates. During the 2008 elections, President Obama had to debate many challengers from within his party before he was able to challenge the Republican candidate.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by bkbabe97y(m): 1:15am On Dec 31, 2010
Atiku should let that CNN gal (Sesay) that bullied GEJ coach him------now watch GEJ crap his pants!!!! grin
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by excanny: 1:32am On Dec 31, 2010
Rousseau:

I support an intra-party debate. The reason I support this motion is due to the fact, that people have their own personal views on the issue. It would be refreshing to hear their stances on the various issues.

Even in the United States, you see inter-party debates. During the 2008 elections, President Obama had to debate many challengers from within his party before he was able to challenge the Republican candidate.

Although Nigeria's democracy is largely patterned after the American system, it differs in terms of system of primary elections.

The American public who are registered voters are allowed to take part in party primaries(with slight differences from state to state). So, it makes sense if intra-party debates are done.

What is the purpose of having election debates? Simply put, to guide voting choices.

When you hold intra-party debates that are aired to the members of the public, yet they are unable to vote, you have defeated the very purpose for organising such debates.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Rousseau: 1:38am On Dec 31, 2010
excanny:

Although Nigeria's democracy is largely patterned after the American system, it differs in terms of system of primary elections.

The American public who are registered voters are allowed to take part in party primaries(with slight differences from state to state). So, it makes sense if intra-party debates are done.

What is the purpose of having election debates? Simply put, to guide voting choices.

When you hold intra-party debates that are aired to the members of the public, yet they are unable to vote, you have defeated the very purpose for organising such debates.

It depends on what U.S. state that the voter lives in. Different states have different rules governing primary elections in the U.S. Some states allow the public to participate in the primaries, while some states require that you are a member of the particular party in order to participate in the party's primary. Ex: Registered Republicans in New Jersey cannot vote Democratic candidates in a Democratic primary and vice versa.

Who are the people that will be able to vote for either Jonathan or Atiku in the PDP primary? I was led to believe, that only voters who are members of PDP will be able to decide who is the candidate for their party. Correct me if I am wrong.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 1:42am On Dec 31, 2010
Rousseau:

It depends on what U.S. state that the voter lives in. Different states have different rules governing primary elections in the U.S. Some states allow the public to participate in the primaries, while some states require that you are a member of the particular party in order to participate in the party's primary. Ex: Registered Republicans in New Jersey cannot vote Democratic candidates in a Democratic primary and vice versa.

Who are the people that will be able to vote for either Jonathan or Atiku in the PDP primary? I was led to believe, that only voters who are members of PDP will be able to decide who is the candidate for their party. Correct me if I am wrong.

Only a few dozen delegates per state, selected by the parties inner workings will vote. It makes a public debate absolutely pointless.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 3:09am On Dec 31, 2010
Rousseau:

In the PDP primaries coming up this January, there will be automatic delegates and there will be elected delegates. The automatic delegates are like the super delegates in the democratic party in US.

The elected delegates in the PDP will be elected by PDP party members.

This is no different from the process in US. The elected delegates are necessarily voted by people presumed members of the party. The reason it has semblance of being open to the public is because in some states members of the public are allowed to register on the day as members of the party and still vote for the candidate of their choice. The objective of this is to expand the base of the party.

The essence of having these debates is to give the process some credibility and tranparency. It helps re-assure the public that the decision by these delegates on who gets voted for is guided by the everyday aspirations of ordinary Nigerians and not some egocentric and selfish deal making or horsetrading. Eventhough the later reasons are obviously nearer to the truth, there are just too many reasons why it is better for our democracy to at least pretend to look like a democracy than engage in brazen dealmaking.

Pretending to do what is right is an admition of what is right and what is wrong. With a universal recognition of what is right; someday somebody will come through who will hold up to the promise of doing what is right.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 3:13am On Dec 31, 2010
There is nothing to loose from having an intra-Party debate. I don't know why folks are looking for excuse to dodge it.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by appletango: 3:17am On Dec 31, 2010
^^^^^

Wrong. There are 3,000+ delegates in total but that is beside the point,

Both campaigns have been rediculiously short on economic and social policies. I bet you that most of the general public - including the delegates - could not tell you what either candidate stood for. This is a perfect opportunity for both men to air their policies and ideas. I can't understand how anybody with democratic principles would not see the benefit of a debate at the point of time.

Why are people running scared from this? How would a debate at this point in time hinder Nigeria? Surely greater dialogue is needed in a country with as many problems as this one? And the only logical conclusion is that one man is scared witless. Shame.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 Arrested Over Patience’s Stolen Properties / The Igbos Are A Minority In Nigeria: Truth. / Breaking: PDP Wins Bauchi Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.