Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,700 members, 7,820,448 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate (8049 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Finally Reacts To Arms Deal / PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy / In Losing Power, Goodluck Jonathan Finally Finds Himself-olusegun Adeniyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 3:38am On Dec 31, 2010
Debate??
What is today's date??
When is the election??
When are the primaries??

When is the election again??
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 3:49am On Dec 31, 2010
This is great!!!

I def wont be missing this debate.

Let the country hear what they have to offer, or what they dont know about US, the people.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by johndoe200: 4:14am On Dec 31, 2010
appletango:

^^^^^

Wrong. There are 3,000+ delegates in total but that is beside the point,

Both campaigns have been rediculiously short on economic and social policies. I bet you that most of the general public - including the delegates - could not tell you what either candidate stood for. This is a perfect opportunity for both men to air their policies and ideas. I can't understand how anybody with democratic principles would not see the benefit of a debate at the point of time.

Why are people running scared from this? How would a debate at this point in time hinder Nigeria? Surely greater dialogue is needed in a country with as many problems as this one? And the only logical conclusion is that one man is scared witless. Shame.

I must disagree, GEJ has stated his economic ans social blueprint over and over. As to having a PDP debate, it is pointless and the party is aware that it will only serve to assist it's opponents. It might be good in an organized society but we are here in Nigeria, so lets forget about it.

I do look forward to a debate between the party flag bearers.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Rousseau: 4:37am On Dec 31, 2010
Beaf:

Only a few dozen delegates per state, selected by the parties inner workings will vote. It makes a public debate absolutely pointless.
mikeansy:

In the PDP primaries coming up this January, there will be automatic delegates and there will be elected delegates. The automatic delegates are like the super delegates in the democratic party in US.

The elected delegates in the PDP will be elected by PDP party members.

This is no different from the process in US. The elected delegates are necessarily voted by people presumed members of the party. The reason it has semblance of being open to the public is because in some states members of the public are allowed to register on the day as members of the party and still vote for the candidate of their choice. The objective of this is to expand the base of the party.

The essence of having these debates is to give the process some credibility and tranparency. It helps re-assure the public that the decision by these delegates on who gets voted for is guided by the everyday aspirations of ordinary Nigerians and not some egocentric and selfish deal making or horsetrading. Eventhough the later reasons are obviously nearer to the truth, there are just too many reasons why it is better for our democracy to at least pretend to look like a democracy than engage in brazen dealmaking.

Pretending to do what is right is an admition of what is right and what is wrong. With a universal recognition of what is right; someday somebody will come through who will hold up to the promise of doing what is right.

If I am reading this correctly, the PDP primaries are similar to the electoral elections in the United States. This seems very different from the primary elections that are practiced in the United States. Democratic and Republican primaries are won state by state whoever gets the popular vote. However, in the presidential elections, you have the popular vote as well as the delegates who make up electoral college. The electoral college is made up of people who are selected by the state legislatures. Most of the time, the electoral college votes the same as the state they represent voted. However, on some rare occasions, the electors do not vote the same way as there state voted in the election.

I still would like to see both an inter-party debate and intra-party debate. This is needed for a credible election and it will also be beneficial for our young democracy as well. Some people may think that this debate is pointless. However, I feel that it would be good for the Nigerian people to see the stances that their political leaders are taking. My only problem is how can we hold these officials accountable?
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by johndoe200: 4:44am On Dec 31, 2010
Rousseau:

I still would like to see both an inter-party debate and intra-party debate. This is needed for a credible election and it will also be beneficial for our young democracy as well. Some people may think that this debate is pointless. However, I feel that it would be good for the Nigerian people to see the stances that their political leaders are taking. My only problem is how can we hold these officials accountable.

Everyone agree that it is pointless, until a candidate is elected/selected for a party what's the point? They may not get the ticket of the party and just hurt the image of the party. It may be good for you the viewer, but I am sure you realize that parties are more interested in their electoral chances than on pleasing viewers. In Nigeria these are not the same thing
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Rousseau: 4:52am On Dec 31, 2010
johndoe200:

Everyone agree that it is pointless, until a candidate is elected/selected for a party what's the point? They may not get the ticket of the party and just hurt the image of the party. It may be good for you the viewer, but I am sure you realize that parties are more interested in their electoral chances than on pleasing viewers. In Nigeria these are not the same thing

It is good to see the different dynamics that make up the party. I actually do not think it hurts PDP if they hold a debate. Did it hurt the Democratic Party for televising their debates among the presidential candidates? Many people thought the vitriol that was coming both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would hurt the Democratic Party, but it actually made Obama stronger. Now Hillary Clinton is his Secretary of State and she is doing well in the position, even though she was a former rival. That is why I do not subscribe to the belief that this debate is entirely pointless. It is actually refreshing to hear that they will have a debate. It gives the Nigerian populace some semblance of a democracy. And hopefully, there will be plenty of inter-party debates as well.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by BetaThings: 5:27am On Dec 31, 2010
johndoe200:

Everyone? Mikeansy, Lagbaja, Rosseau, Ileke-idi, Appletango want a debate and you are saying everyone agree it is pointless. Is is that you don't know the meaning of what you are saying or Beaf's new name is pointless (and even then he won't be able to agree with himself) or that the brain transplant done for you because of Johnathan's campaign has really impaired ability to count?
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by BetaThings: 5:33am On Dec 31, 2010
appletango:

^^^^^
I can't understand how anybody with democratic principles would not see the benefit of a debate at the point of time.

Why are people running scared from this? How would a debate at this point in time hinder Nigeria? Surely greater dialogue is needed in a country with as many problems as this one? And the only logical conclusion is that one man is scared witless. Shame.
They don't really have democratic principles. Largest party in Africa, presiding over the largest, and growing, number of unemployed youths in Africa. Yet they are boasting of ruling fro 30years? How by scheduling rescheduling the order of primaries
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by BetaThings: 5:38am On Dec 31, 2010
Beaf:

Anybody listening to you would think you were a PDP reformer. Why is your holy crusade limited to PDP, yet you are not even a member?
You are really sounding quite desperate with your anti-Jonathan message.

How about writing articles and sweating profusely over presidential debates in ACN, APGA, LP, ANPP, CPC etc?

Give it up, there are no wheels on your rickety bus.
So why did you comment when it was RUMOURED that Ribadu has been dumped by ACN?
The current ruling party in Japan was "rickety" for over 50years. Yet it persevered. In Nigeria, most people mouthing democratic ideals jump aboard the PDP bus which is as fast but short-lived as the Cheetah. Better get aboard a thoroughbred which you mistake for a rickety bus.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by BetaThings: 5:44am On Dec 31, 2010
daroz:

this Atiku is a real desperate fool, how would u want to involve your party member in a public debate? Are u both, being from the same party suppose to have the same manifesto and agenda? I have not seen anywhere in the world where this is done. Doing so will ridicule the party, frankly speaking.
Before you call anybody a fool, check
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD9F1t9GQzA&feature=related
Frankly speaking, you need to watch out for yourself and not be blinded by the money you are being paid
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by johndoe200: 6:38am On Dec 31, 2010
BetaThings:

Everyone? Mikeansy, Lagbaja, Rosseau, Ileke-idi, Appletango want a debate and you are saying everyone agree it is pointless. Is is that you don't know the meaning of what you are saying or Beaf's new name is pointless (and even then he won't be able to agree with himself) or that the brain transplant done for you because of Johnathan's campaign has really impaired ability to count?

Mikeansy, Lagbaja, Rosseau, Ileke-idi, Appletango = Atiku

When I said everyone I was referring to ordinary unbiased people like me.

The only transplant done seems to be the one which replaced your reason with hatred for GEJ.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 7:10am On Dec 31, 2010
BetaThings:

So why did you comment when it was RUMOURED that Ribadu has been dumped by ACN?
The current ruling party in Japan was "rickety" for over 50years. Yet it persevered. In Nigeria, most people mouthing democratic ideals jump aboard the PDP bus which is as fast but short-lived as the Cheetah. Better get aboard a thoroughbred which you mistake for a rickety bus.

Why take time to reply every post only to talk off point? Heads or tails can't be made from the above.
The rickety bus I accused Mikeansy of piloting is simply the wretched argument for PDP debates, while neglecting other parties. But, who knows why you jumped to the defense of what was never said, thats what the guilty do, so check carefully if you really are a passenger on a rickety bus.

The moral of this lesson is, listen, deliberate, then speak. Never speak before deliberating, it puts you in poor light.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by BetaThings: 7:16am On Dec 31, 2010
johndoe200:

The only transplant done seems to be the one which replaced your reason with hatred for GEJ.
So you are now the sole judge of the existence or otherwise of bias. Calling Atiku a thief now is evidence of bias in favour of GEJ. And you arrogantly say you are unbiased. Really? Who can judge himself except Iwu, and now your very, very humble goodself.

I have been consistent in my criticism of PDP. But people who used to disdain PDP or were passive about it and are now suddenly trawling the web to paint GEJ in borrowed shiny robes the recipients of the the unwholesome transplant

BTW since you have labelled all these people as Atiku people, how did you divine the opinion of the ordinary unbiased Nigerians. If we are to borrow from America, the ordinary folks over there an intra-party debate makes a lot of sense.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 31, 2010
sounds like the brilliant phd holder and his acolytes are running scared.

chickens.

are you lot really that scared of common customs officer?

or do you know atiku will open the yansh of the most honest president nigeria has ever known even further ?
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by BetaThings: 8:04am On Dec 31, 2010
Beaf:

Why take time to reply every post only to talk off point? Heads or tails can't be made from the above.
The rickety bus I accused Mikeansy of piloting is simply the wretched argument for PDP debates, while neglecting other parties. But, who knows why you jumped to the defense of what was never said, thats what the guilty do, so check carefully if you really are a passenger on a rickety bus.

The moral of this lesson is, listen, deliberate, then speak. Never speak before deliberating, it puts you in poor light.
Because it exposes your hypocrisy. If a non-PDP man should leave PDP affair alone, then maybe you should heed your own advice. You are always in poor light when GEJ is a subject. I know you can make sense if the subject is physics or entomology, but anything bordering GEJ's performance, your regular brain shuts down!
There is still life after GEJ's project. Luckily you are not using your real name here. But conscience may be much more difficult to manage
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 31, 2010
^^^^

we have seen it before

there was a this day columnist - was it kola yusuf - i forget.

always critiquing the govt , giving insightful anyalyses

then he got a job with yardua's administration and he became a grade A apologist

very disturbing insight into the mind of 'activists'
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by BetaThings: 8:14am On Dec 31, 2010
PDP is the misruling party in Nigeria. But they have a good chance of rigging themselves in again. We need to see the candidates and make our voices heard before the delegates give us a fait accompli. If Johnathan does better, then we have a strong candidate to confront the opposition candidate. However if he does poorly, and they still pick him, then we further confirm that PDP does not give a damn what we think.

It is not enough to post platitudes and blandishments on facebook. Let follow-up questions be asked. A PhD holder reputed to tower above his opponents intellectually, administratively etc should not deprive us of this opportunity  
oyb:

^^^^

we have seen it before

then he got a job with yardua's administration and he became a grade A apologist

Segun Adeniyi turned coat too.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by BetaThings: 8:18am On Dec 31, 2010
http://www.thisdayonline.info/nview.php?id=191067

This will make it more interesting - Enugu Assembly endorses Atiku
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by DisGuy: 8:37am On Dec 31, 2010
johndoe200:

everyone? WTH shocked

you mean, Sarah Jubril will suddenly get the ticket?

johndoe200:

the news article was only out yesterday and you already concluded the majority dont see the point. . .perhaps you should read the other thread too

Mike, if possible put a poll up so we see everyone's opinion
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 31, 2010
Dis Guy:

everyone? WTH shocked

you mean, Sarah Jubril will suddenly get the ticket?

the news article was only out yesterday and you already concluded the majority dont see the point. . .perhaps you should read the other thread too

Mike, if possible put a poll up so we see everyone's opinion

yeah, lets see the fur fly

lets see if gej will have the liver to spout what his acolytes keep spouting on nl and put paid to the much spammed 40 billa, us indictment etal
lets also hear about bakare and the saga of due and customary cheesy cheesy
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 31, 2010
Beaf:

Only a few dozen delegates per state, selected by the parties inner workings will vote. It makes a public debate absolutely pointless.
What an alibi! What are you really scared of?
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 9:00am On Dec 31, 2010
oyb:

^^^^

we have seen it before

A fool is as predictable as a wind up toy.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 9:12am On Dec 31, 2010
BetaThings:

Because it exposes your hypocrisy. If a non-PDP man should leave PDP affair alone, then maybe you should heed your own advice. You are always in poor light when GEJ is a subject. I know you can make sense if the subject is physics or entomology, but anything bordering GEJ's performance, your regular brain shuts down!
There is still life after GEJ's project. Luckily you are not using your real name here. But conscience may be much more difficult to manage

No, it exposes his hypocrisy and your stup!dity. Why canvass for debates within only the PDP, especially when one is not even a member? There are are several other parties like the ACN, APGA, CPC, LP etc, why not spread the campaign if not for hypocricy and dishonesty?
Abeg, go and worry about the drug dealing Tinubu and what occurs in your ACN. Is it that you guys are jobless or so fearful of your chances that you are "loving" PDP here? Donkey brained fool who couldn't even understand simple English, yet jumps into arguments like an id!ot.

Think before you speak, cos you're sounding really daft.
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by bkbabe97y(m): 9:14am On Dec 31, 2010
Beaf:

No, it exposes his hypocrisy and your stup!dity. Why canvass for debates within only the PDP, especially when one is not even a member? There are are several other parties like the ACN, APGA, CPC, LP etc, why not spread the campaign if not for hypocricy and dishonesty?
Abeg, go and worry about the drug dealing Tinubu and what occurs in your ACN. Is it that you guys are jobless or so fearful of your chances that you are "loving" PDP here? Donkey brained fool who couldn't even understand simple English, yet jumps into arguments like an id!ot.

According to GEJ'S Girlfriend, Beaf, BetaThings "doesnt understand simple English"!!! But, he spelt "Hypocrisy" properly in his post!

Look at how u spelt it!

Hmmmmn. . . . . ?
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by DisGuy: 9:17am On Dec 31, 2010
jabbok:

was wondering the same thing too, I mean GEJ is still the most popular candidate out there

This is his opportunity to nail Atiku once and for all, afterall Ciroma did him a favour with IBB
maybe he will arrest Atiku's campaign manager too for Jos bombings
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 9:19am On Dec 31, 2010
jabbok:

Stop reciting brainless lines, coined by ethnically bigoted concensus candidates, who behave like "wrestlers" according to GEJ. grin grin grin
It is the only phrase you people know, having learnt the words like a herd of brainless cattle. Its old now, learn a new trick (even dogs can).
GEJ has accepted, so whats the noise about?
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 31, 2010
Beaf:

Your abusive approach to issues is mouth-dropping. Show some love bro
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Rhino5dm: 9:25am On Dec 31, 2010
while atiku will be arrogantly beating his chest and threatening the moderator/s, GEJ will be asking for his teleponder.

A semi illiterate debating with a PhD holder, a tale of tales grin grin grin
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 9:27am On Dec 31, 2010
jabbok:

Your abusive approach to issues is mouth-dropping. Show some love bro

It helps "wrestlers" engage their brains. Like I said, even dogs learn new tricks, you guys rote is way too old and overused. I'm weeping for all zombies in da house!
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 31, 2010
Beaf:

the last time i checked, there was a country called nigeria. all nigerians , not just 'pdp members' have a stake in the nation's future.

a debate is one of the first ways to identify what candidiates really stand for,  and how they are under pressure

all this meandering and blathering says one thing - gej cannot live up to your hype

no one to ghostwrite debate points the way its done with  fb posts

and from a president who is running his mouth on education etal, what better way to start

a smart, capable  president with smart, capable  backers would see this as a golden opportunity to showcase his intellect etal

i guess those traits must be lacking, or maybe the cupboard has way too many skeletons that can be summoned
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 31, 2010
perhaps, gej is always quiet because, like beaf, he becomes a street thug when cornered

maybe he too will start running his mouth and making an even greater fool of himself than his most ardent advocate
Re: Victory For Democracy! - Jonathan Finally Agrees To Debate by Beaf: 9:35am On Dec 31, 2010
oyb:

the last time i checked, there was a country called nigeria. all nigerians , not just 'pdp members' have a stake in the nation's future.

a debate is one of the first ways to identify what candidiates really stand for,  and how they are under pressure

all this meandering and blathering says one thing - gej cannot live up to your hype

no one to ghostwrite debate points the way its done with  fb posts

and from a president who is running his mouth on education etal, what better way to start

a smart, capable  president with smart, capable  backers would see this as a golden opportunity to showcase his intellect etal

i guess those traits must be lacking, or maybe the cupboard has way too many skeletons that can be summoned

Wretched argument.

If you want a stake in PDP, go buy a card. Thats commonsense.
If you campaign for debates in PDP, then you must do it across all parties, except there is some degree of foolishness or dishonesty driving your argument. Nigeria was not a one party state the last I checked, except other political parties have declared themselves no hopers before the event. But then, hey! Its a wrestlers thing, common sense isn't expected.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Development In The Niger Delta Region By NDDC / If Elections Are Held 100 Times , Mark Will Always Win -PDP Tells Onjeh / When A Headgirl Is Given The Job Of A School Principal - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.