Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,536 members, 7,843,658 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 (44672 Views)

Tinubu Arrives India For G-20 Summit / IMF Excludes Nigeria From Debt Relief / Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by AUSVINS(m): 9:17pm On Apr 17, 2020
SaintLucia:
That shouldn't be your concern cos you are not a Nigerian. Meanwhile have you paid your Biafra due? Hurry up before your supreme leader sanction you with plenty fine.
Isn't it ironic that they are paying with naira?
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by semyman: 9:18pm On Apr 17, 2020
Adaogwashi1:
More looting for buhari government cheesy grin

I still remain Ada ogwashi cool
Pervert
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by semyman: 9:19pm On Apr 17, 2020
SLAP44:
So they can loot more and stash their country's money abroad?

Ok
Pervert
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Ezmans: 9:21pm On Apr 17, 2020
SLAP44:
So they can loot more and stash their country's money abroad?

Ok
Nowonder Godfrey onyema was sympatising chinese government in there abuse against Nigerians in china
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by idrisreal002(m): 9:28pm On Apr 17, 2020
wow this is great news
it gives us opportunity to start afresh I.e borrow afresh and start incurring new debts.
old things are passed away!
grin
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Ogaga87(m): 9:28pm On Apr 17, 2020
This one go make increase our lockdown now

Wahala don shele
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by rusher14: 9:28pm On Apr 17, 2020
nextstep:

This is not relief (as in cancellation/reduction which OBJ was able to secure).
This is a forbearance (as in payments are suspended, but will resume in the near future).

I don't have to point out that "the borrower is slave to the lender", and we wouldn't have needed forbearance/relief if there was no debt in the first place.

Relief doesnt mean elimination of debt.

You can use forbearance or any fancy word but what it means is you do not have to service it over a period.

You know there is nothing you would tell me about debt being such a terrible thing because I wouldn't buy it.

Most of the nations you wish for your country to be like are all indebted ; Italy to 140 of her GDP, Japan a whoopikg 238% to her GDP whilst good old Nigeria is 23%.

All this scaremongering is not needed.

Oh I forgot:

USA debt to GDP = 107%
UK debt to GDP = 87%

What is important is utilising the debt for the purpose for which they were incurred.

Instructively, in the last couple of years, our debt have been tied to infrastructural projects such as railway and we are seeing them being utilised.

It would do you well not to lie to yourself.

If in doubt , point to any project for which Nigeria has borrowed in the last 5 years that haven't been undertaken.
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Dre555: 9:30pm On Apr 17, 2020
uncleinans:

Lol. Very funny, greedy China next world power? China that is begging USA not to cut her funding to WHO is next world power? Please read wide so you dont spill trash like this
China greedy? Ask African countries.
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by madjune(m): 9:35pm On Apr 17, 2020
Wetin China want from Nigeria sef?
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by fabolouz1(m): 9:35pm On Apr 17, 2020
It will not be well with those people who are mismanaging the resources of this Country for us to be classified as a poor country.
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by jaxxy(m): 9:39pm On Apr 17, 2020
ignis:
No matter the debt relief granted Nigeria, we can never be debt free under this current government.

The more the debt relief comes, the greater the borrowing capacity and tendency to borrow more and use it for frivolous irrelevant looting projects.

U spoke very wisely. It's quite sad how we have a highly incompetent and confused economic team. And that's even the good part, the worse part is they don't even have much say in what gets implemented eventually in the economic policies as decision can come from other places.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by BarrElChapo(m): 9:39pm On Apr 17, 2020
Patrioticman007:

That's a lie, China for where ?. Na USA still dey use koboko on Africans till date.

Unfortunately I wasn't speaking with any religious thoughts in mind. I only echoed the OP's mind that all the relief and loans China is granting African nations comes with a cost.

Even now which country is literally chasing legal migrants off their homes in the crisis.
I could give a link of some video advert I found today on Twitter that echoes same.
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by BarrElChapo(m): 9:41pm On Apr 17, 2020
Blaze232:

Shut up man

Why chief ?

Any good reason to counter my assertion ? Pls give plus I think if you asked me to know the perspective I was coming from, you might change your mind. Anyways cheers !
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by francis2565(m): 9:43pm On Apr 17, 2020
Pls does anyone here has a good proposal on agriculture or any other good business proposal
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Coldie(m): 9:45pm On Apr 17, 2020
This is goodnews but I know my country.

You would give them debt relief and they would use that opportunity to borrow another loan
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Babapyro: 9:45pm On Apr 17, 2020
Amotolongbo:
how is it possible to be positive towards a negative system?

If you were a right thinking person, you would know that is mathematically impossible.
A debt relief is a very good things, as at now no funds has exchanged hand on account of borrowing, atop jumping the gun and assume you know the future based on what you think happened in the past.
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by nextstep(m): 9:58pm On Apr 17, 2020
rusher14:
Relief doesnt mean elimination of debt.
You can use forbearance or any fancy word but what it means is you do not have to service it over a period.
You know there is nothing you would tell me about debt being such a terrible thing because I wouldn't buy it.

Most of the nations you wish for your country to be like are all indebted ; Italy to 140 of her GDP, Japan a whoopikg 238% to her GDP whilst good old Nigeria is 23%.

All this scaremongering is not needed.

Oh I forgot:

USA debt to GDP = 107%
UK debt to GDP = 87%

What is important is utilising the debt for the purpose for which they were incurred.

Instructively, in the last couple of years, our debt have been tied to infrastructural projects such as railway and we are seeing them being utilised.

It would do you well not to lie to yourself.

If in doubt , point to any project for which Nigeria has borrowed in the last 5 years that haven't been undertaken.

OK, I agree there's such a thing as good debt: when it's used to finance productivity, not consumption. It's true with governments as it is with people. What you're suggesting is akin to saying "since persons A,B,andC have borrowed money to be where they are, person D should too". Not realizing that it's not the borrowing per-se, but what you do with it that's crucial. If given a large enough sum, would you rather borrow money to build a car manufacturing plant, or buy a fleet of cars? My question is a bit spurious, but should have the intended effect.

As for other countries' debts (I've copied and pasted from several sources, words are not mine):

Japan: mostly owed to the Japanese people in the form of government bonds. The Japanese government owes each of its citizens about 7.5 million yen. Since 95% of its debt is held domestically, its economy is not as precarious as it would be if it were debt to foreign countries.

UK: debt is primarily held by (50%) Private financial institutions, 27% is held by overseas investors (e.g. American investment trusts/Japanese banks), 23% is held by Bank of England – as part of Quantitative easing/asset purchase programme.

USA: Some 70% of the national debt is owned by domestic government, institutions investors and the Federal Reserve. A shade under 30% is owned by foreign entities, according to the latest information from the U.S. Treasury.

In all these cases, the debts are in form of bonds (market instruments used by companies and governments alike to raise money). And who do they owe the vast proportion to? their own citizens/businesses, so the bulk of interest payments stay within country and go into other productive endeavors.

In our case, we're not issuing bonds to produce, we're borrowing to consume. Take the trains for instance: in sensible countries, if the bonds are used to (say) build a steel plant, there are effects to other industries: mining, machine tools, electronics, and so many people are employed to create train bogies, bodies, the rails, the nails, paints, engines, motors, etc. Each sector has value-add and and money circulation effect is enormous. In our country, we pay for all these value-adds (at marked up retail) when we buy the train and the rails, and practically nobody gets employed. Yes, people are paid to lay down the lines and drive the trains - but the same applies to if the trains were deployed in Japan/USA. What is missing in Nigeria is the thousands of people who would have made train parts, the wheels, the steel, etc.

The interest payments go mostly to your own (US/UK/Japan) citizens who use this investment income to buy goods and services - further growing your economy. The governments also get a ton of revenue from the taxes on salaries, business profits, and on interest payment.

The money circulation effect in Nigeria? Zero. No tax revenue from profits, income, or interest.

We borrowed to build hydroelectric dams in the 60s, 70s. We will need trillions more to build more electrical capacity. We borrowed massively to produce pipe-borne water in 60,70s. We will need trillions more to restore our waterworks to any semblance of usability.

Our situation is: borrow money; use that money to fund foreign industries who pay foreign workers; pay principal and interest on that money. Then 5-10 years, repeat the same thing.

Since we know that we're not good at borrowing to spur development, we should stop borrowing. When we have our system in place to use bonds to grow our economy, then we can continue borrowing.

We can't continue borrowing development... we have to develop, and that's why it's so dangerous for underdeveloped countries to keep borrowing. You can never stop.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by ioreth69(f): 10:00pm On Apr 17, 2020
Food don land for our politicians
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by cbngov01(m): 10:05pm On Apr 17, 2020
Moratorium is different. What we need is total debt forgiveness!
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Slim987(m): 10:06pm On Apr 17, 2020
I knew something will come from China, dey have lot of ways dey r making money from Nigerians
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Smultechs: 10:08pm On Apr 17, 2020
Did you know been lockdown for 14days doesn't stop you from earning online, even if FG failed you, its better not to failed yourself....You can start today with a one time registration fee of N1,500 and stand d chance to earn over 20k Ask me how.
Whatsapp No: 08132853036
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Mac2016(m): 10:10pm On Apr 17, 2020
Am not happy with this news
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Square2020(m): 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2020
Please FG should me use of it...hunger is killing us all
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Nobody: 10:40pm On Apr 17, 2020
How the hell did we become indebted to China
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by vioment: 10:45pm On Apr 17, 2020
Always who help us or who will help us.

We are not in the business and news, of helping ourselves or others.

A very tufiakwa country from my point of view.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Cousin9999: 10:56pm On Apr 17, 2020
destinie2019:

International finance doesn't work that way.
Balance of trade is said to be healthy when revenues from exports is more than expenditures on imports. In the case of Nigeria, we import everything and earn almost nothing from exports. Apart from crude oil, that is. The earnings from crude could have built an alternative to our oil-driven mono economy, but while Dubai has transformed a desert, we are busy degrading a paradise.

F**K the rules created by CRIMINALS.
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Cousin9999: 10:58pm On Apr 17, 2020
vioment:
Always who help us or who will help us.

We are not in the business and news, of helping ourselves or others.

A very tufiakwa country from my point of view.

Nonsense. It is Africa that helps the entire WORLD.

Mama Africa indeed because like a mother feeding her baby, the whole world is feeding on Africa's resources.

Wake up.
Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Cousin9999: 11:01pm On Apr 17, 2020
Whites and Asians have been looting Africa for millennia. Africans owe them nothing and they owe Africans everything, along with an apology.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by vioment: 11:14pm On Apr 17, 2020
Cousin9999:

Nonsense. It is Africa that helps the entire WORLD.

Mama Africa indeed because like a mother feeding her baby, the whole world is feeding on Africa's resources.

Wake up.

Am I not almost always awake because we don't have electricity. We can't store food for days especially perishables.

We are backwards in many things.

If countries or continents were a life character; the great countries will have respect for itself(it's people), be intelligent to solve their problems somehow, will be organized in their actions, etc

Am not even ready to waste typing space for what a useless always begging Africa will do.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 by Golden057(m): 11:35pm On Apr 17, 2020
Kingrefreshed:

Nigerian Keyboard warriors association (Nairaland chapter)

Fuel is now 12.6 dollar per barrel thats about 27 naira a litre now.

Can we protest for the first time in our lives?? Lets use this time ,join forces together and make our voices heard.

Seriously, we are preparing for this. Join us in the NIGERIA REVOLUTION group on facebook

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"There Is Panic At INEC Abuja Headquarters" - Reno Omokri / Prof Mohamood Yusuf: Top 10 Things You Need To Know About The New INEC Boss / "Invest In Lagos At Your Own Peril" - Maryanne Moghalu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.