Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? (5348 Views)

Onshore Oil Fields They Don't Want You To See / Govt Opens Bid Round For 31 Marginal Oil Fields / Maps Of Oil Fields In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Akhenaten: 7:48pm On Jan 10, 2011
eku_bear:

Nah, he raises some good points.

Hmm, perhaps I'm making a wrong guess about his perspective. . . but if you are an Igbo with most of your economic interests outside of Igboland, then it is quite likely that you aren't interested in Nigeria breaking up. After all, which businessman wants the markets which he can invest in and the economic opportunities available to him reduced?

It doesn't matter if Nigeria remains as one or splits. Igbo economic interest should be protected. Most nations like attracting foreign investment. I do not understand why a nation would try to cut off its nose to spite its face. Igbos add to the economic development of a nation.

Even if Nigeria splits, the news states must protect private investment. Or face the wrath of international capitalism.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Nsiman(m): 7:52pm On Jan 10, 2011
Why are u guys deviating from the main issue to tribal/ethnic sentiments?
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Akhenaten: 7:53pm On Jan 10, 2011
Nsiman:

Why are u guys deviating from the main issue to tribal/ethnic sentiments?

If you are discussing the oil fields, of course it will be tribal in nature, because the majority of the nation's oil is found in a contentious area where many ethnicities are located.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by excanny: 7:56pm On Jan 10, 2011
I still believe that one of the possible means of splitting Nigeria would be through the international courts or else a tendency to split further will always exist.

Sometimes, I've really come to understand why the international community never allowed Biafra to be. Biafra's struggle was quite understandable. But the issues were beyond morality. The need to keep a 'political' structure was more important than life for some, hence Biafra couldn't realize enough support that should consummate the 'morals' behind her struggle.

If Nigeria must divide, it must be done through very rigid means so as to make it difficult for unnecessary future disintegration.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Nsiman(m): 8:04pm On Jan 10, 2011
@ topic, it is north taking some oil blocks to their almajiri rep, not south issues: igbo, ibibio, annang, ijaw etc. If a republic is to be declared to the south we'll have a referendum to checkmate against what is happening in this northern destroyed country called nigeria. Let's reach the bridge b4 we cross. There is ethnic section, a thread on this can be form there. Thanks
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:11pm On Jan 10, 2011
I do not think separation along tribal lines would do us any good, after all the remaining areas would have to deal with each other, the Igbos would turn and fight the yoruba's the SS would tell all to stay clear if their oil. But along religious lines well that would be more feasible. Why not just practice true federalism?
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Abagworo(m): 8:11pm On Jan 10, 2011
udezue:

Abagworo is just spewing rubbish.

You do not realize how complex the Nigerian situation is otherwise you would have understood my points.Even Ojukwu advocated for true federalism other than outright secession.You cannot define where Igbo starts and ends if your line of division is ethnic.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 8:13pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

Delta Igbo are not Igbo? I never heard such foolishness before in my life. Ikwerre do not speak Igbo? That is something new as well. Igbo is spoken all the way down to Bonny Island. Divisions of Igboland will be resisted with extreme prejudice.

Do not speak on issues you do not know nothing about. Thank you very much. I have already told you before to stay out of Igbo affairs. Only friends of the Ndi Igbo can comment on Igbo issues.  

as i said, i really do not want to insult u but instead you have decided to insult me,ok

i will prove to you that delta ibo do not see themselves as igbos

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-458875.160.html

the above is an ika man saying he is not igbo

http://et-ee.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=4219836762&topic=4301

the above are delta ibo saying they are not igbo

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-421192.192.html

the above are ikwerri saying they are not igbo,, in fact one of the poster say his father told him that he is clearly not an igbo man

do you want more cool

as for igbo issue just shut u mouth ok, because u clearly know nothing about igbo unity all you do is NL, i have lived far and wide in nigeria and i know how almost all the ethnic group think of themselves so shuuuus ur mouth ok

and abadaba username is not a south-south igbo but andre-uweh
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 8:15pm On Jan 10, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

I do not think separation along tribal lines would do us any good, after all the remaining areas would have to deal with each other, the Igbos would turn and fight the yoruba's the SS would tell all to stay clear if their oil. But along religious lines well that would be more feasible. Why not just practice true federalism?

gbam is that not what i have been telling them on this forum
just to add, the north also will fight undecided for seperation
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by ekubear1: 8:17pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

It doesn't matter if Nigeria remains as one or splits. Igbo economic interest should be protected. Most nations like attracting foreign investment. I do not understand why a nation would try to cut off its nose to spite its face. Igbos add to the economic development of a nation.

Even if Nigeria splits, the news states must protect private investment. Or face the wrath of international capitalism.

That is just the way the world is. Americans didn't want to sell some port thing to a company in Dubai a couple of years ago (Dubai Ports World is the name, iirc), aren't happy about buying lots of things from China, used to be unhappy about Japanese buying up stuff in the 80s when Japan looked like it was on the rise, etc.

Nigeria sef has import duties on lots of goods. But nobody is forced to pay import duties right now to buy rice grown in say the middle belt and shipped to Lagos.

Also, think about how hard countries like Ghana and others in West Africa make it for Nigerians to do business there.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when it comes time to execute project X in say Bayelsa (for example), there aren't enough qualified Bayelsans to do the job, they won't look to give the contract out of sentimental reasons to someone not from the ND. Heck, they might even actively discriminate against those who are from what remains of Nigeria. Even if there is a qualified Arewa Republic man who is a world-wide expert in executing Project X, they'll give it to a Brazilian instead. While it is hard doing stuff outside of your own region in Nigeria right now, it isn't impossible. If Nigeria splits, it might become even more difficult.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Missy85(f): 8:30pm On Jan 10, 2011
to the person that said after separation the various parts will start fighting each other, ie, igbos will fight yourubas.

Over what? We wont share borders, so what are we going fight for.

Yorubas will TRY to operate a liberal democracy, and prob form some kind of economic free movement area with Igbos & niger deltans so you guys can continue to do your business in the SW freely.

I dont expect yorubas will drive anyone away from their territory.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:35pm On Jan 10, 2011
LOL you guys cannot even agree on which igbo is the real one lol. Tribal lines would always be blurry.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 8:37pm On Jan 10, 2011
Missy85:

to the person that said after separation  the various parts will start fighting each other, ie, igbos will fight yourubas.

Over what? We wont share borders, so what are we going fight for.

Yorubas will TRY to operate a liberal democracy, and prob form some kind of economic free movement area with Igbos & niger deltans so you guys can continue to do your business in the SW freely.

you don't expect but they will do it first off all before they get back to been relax again

also, it is not yoruba vs igbo

it is yoruba vs yoruba,,, igbo vs igbo, fulani vs kanuri,,,,, ika vs ikwerri,,,  urhobo vs isoko,, tiv  vs  beroms,,, etc,,,, if we separate undecided
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 8:38pm On Jan 10, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

LOL you guys cannot even agree on which igbo is the real one lol. Tribal lines would always be blurry.

don't mind them and that Akhenaten is telling me crap,, smiley
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Missy85(f): 9:06pm On Jan 10, 2011
harem, you prob have a greater interest than most on here, in preserving nigeria as one.

But it is disingenuous to suggest that intra tribal strife will becoome common place & thats a reason not to break up.

First, i think each tribe/govt will manage their own problems like other countries do.

Second, the idea that Ekiti people for instance will load up on anti quated double barrels & declare a war on Ibadan is preposterous. And if it happens, that will be a matter for the Yoruba govt to deal with.  Why are you so concerned about that. Arent there inter tribal strifes in Ghana, China, or even in the Uk during footbal matches betwn scotland & england.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by ekubear1: 9:22pm On Jan 10, 2011
Missy85:

Second, the idea that Ekiti people for instance will load up on anti quated double barrels & declare a war on Ibadan is preposterous.
grin
Those days are long gone. Too much intermarriage and moving around for there to be civil war in Yorubaland. Plus we've had lots of nationalist Yoruba figures who have helped unite rather than divide us.

even in the Uk during footbal matches betwn scotland & england.
Lol, this I was not aware of.

Missy85:

Indeed. Only a fool drives away economically productive citizens. If anything, I'd be interested in poaching them other regions of Nigeria.

Some people seem to fearmonger and act as if Yoruba are xenophobes, when imo we are the most tolerant people in all of Nigeria.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 9:33pm On Jan 10, 2011
Missy85:

harem, you prob have a greater interest than most on here, in preserving nigeria as one.

But it is disingenuous to suggest that intra tribal strife will becoome common place & thats a reason not to break up.

First, i think each tribe/govt will manage their own problems like other countries do.

Second, the idea that Ekiti people for instance will load up on anti quated double barrels & declare a war on Ibadan is preposterous. And if it happens, that will be a matter for the Yoruba govt to deal with.  Why are you so concerned about that. Arent there inter tribal strifes in Ghana, China, or even in the Uk during footbal matches betwn scotland & england.

missy85, i understand what you mean now and i agree with you smiley

the only problem is that yorubas have a history of people who betray there race eg afonja, banjo, tinubu, bode geroge etc that how do you trend to coup with that
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by ekubear1: 9:36pm On Jan 10, 2011
^-- Most of the Yoruba who betray their people have done so in collaboration with outsiders. This is part of the reason why strong federalism or outright independence is appealing to me. These guys cannot go run off to Abuja to hide from their people who they have betrayed  grin
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 9:42pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

Delta Igbo are not Igbo? I never heard such foolishness before in my life. Ikwerre do not speak Igbo? That is something new as well. Igbo is spoken all the way down to Bonny Island. Divisions of Igboland will be resisted with extreme prejudice.

Do not speak on issues you do not know nothing about. Thank you very much. I have already told you before to stay out of Igbo affairs. Only friends of the Ndi Igbo can comment on Igbo issues.  

Lol. This was a SIMILAR problem I was discussing with OLA EDO $ EZIACHI and they clarified it (thank you guys). Now, the same issue is raised here. How can you try to force ethnicity on people? How can you say igbos stretch to bonny island when ikwerris do not regard themselves as igbos? What defines igbo? Is it the language, culture or etc? If that is the case, yorubas can say nupes, binis and igalas are yorubas but you do not see them FORCE ethnicity on anyone? Watch what you type because its actually scaring people away from you. Learn to accept people for who they are and stop typing trash(no offence but its the truth).
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 9:42pm On Jan 10, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Most of the Yoruba who betray their people have done so in collaboration with outsiders. This is part of the reason why strong federalism or outright independence is appealing to me. These guys cannot go run off to Abuja to hide from their people who they have betrayed  grin
grin grin grin

ok the yorubas nation is settle for now atleast until i think of other reasons wink BUT I LAST THING BEFORE I GO WHAT HAPPENS TO EDO, DELTLA STATE

NOW I WANT IGBOS AND SOUTH-SOUTH TO COME SO I CAN TACKLE THEM AS WELL smiley
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 9:45pm On Jan 10, 2011
jason123:

Lol. This was a SIMILAR problem I was discussing with OLA EDO $ EZIACHI and they clarified it (thank you guys). Now, the same issue is raised here. How can you try to force ethnicity on people? How can you say igbos stretch to bonny island when ikwerris do not regard themselves as igbos? What defines igbo? Is it the language, culture or etc? If that is the case, yorubas can say nupes, binis and igalas are yorubas but you do not see them FORCE ethnicity on anyone? Watch what you type because its actually scaring people away from you. Learn to accept people for who they are and stop typing trash(no offence but its the truth).

THANK you jason
#and i have given him the groups he mentioned below
alj harem1:

as i said, i really do not want to insult u but instead you have decided to insult me,ok

i will prove to you that delta ibo do not see themselves as igbos

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-458875.160.html

the above is an ika man saying he is not igbo

http://et-ee.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=4219836762&topic=4301

the above are delta ibo saying they are not igbo

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-421192.192.html

the above are ikwerri saying they are not igbo,, in fact one of the poster say his father told him that he is clearly not an igbo man

do you want more cool

as for igbo issue just shut u mouth ok, because u clearly know nothing about igbo unity all you do is NL, i have lived far and wide in nigeria and i know how almost all the ethnic group think of themselves so shuuuus your mouth ok

and abadaba username is not a south-south igbo but andre-uweh

he should tell if those people are igbo or not when they have clearly stated they are not igbo
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Akhenaten: 9:46pm On Jan 10, 2011
Deleted
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Akhenaten: 9:52pm On Jan 10, 2011
Deleted
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 9:53pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

Please stop with your hogwash. If you read the actual links you provided, you would have found that the people came to the conclusion that they are Igbo. They just have different cultural identity. Igbos are united by language. This is what unites Igbo. And shared beliefs as well.

Why are you trying so hard to divide the Ndi Igbo? People are moving pass division and joining the wider Igbo. Only a small fraction of Igbos are having a problem with the group identity. Many Igbos do not even looked to their clans, because Igbos are mixed now.

BTW, my Igbo identity is made up of Ikwerre, Ngwa, Mbaise, Ibeku and Umuopara.

You are the one dividing igbos not harem. Learn to respect other groups for who they are and do not try to force them. If you do that, you would realise that they would STOP fighting back. The more you force them, the more they would resist! My two kobo!
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 9:53pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

Please stop with your hogwash. If you read the actual links you provided, you would have found that the people came to the conclusion that they are Igbo. They just have different cultural identity. Igbos are united by language. This is what unites Igbo. And shared beliefs as well.

Why are you trying so hard to divide the Ndi Igbo? People are moving pass division and joining the wider Igbo. Only a small fraction of Igbos are having a problem with the group identity. Many Igbos do not even looked to their clans, because Igbos are mixed now.

BTW, my Igbo identity is made up of Ikwerre, Ngwa, Mbaise, Ibeku and Umuopara.

why do u sound angry undecided

is it me that used those user names

who is trying to divide ndigbo undecided

all i am saying is that ikwerre, ika and delta ibo do not see themselves as igbos

abi ogini undecided what is your problem with me undecided

even Ngwa is shaky as igbo

now the question you should be asking is why, and how can we unite them, that's all smiley
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 9:56pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

Our ethnicity is defined predominately defined by our language. The cultural aspect varies from clan to clan, but for the most part, we are similar. However, I would stop at language, because if I use culture, some Igbos are similar to Igala or Bini, and my very own cultural practices are similar to other groups such as the Ibibio/Efik/Annang.

You do know that Igbos are found in great numbers in Bonny? Igbo language is the dominant language, since many Igbo slaves could be found in that region. The same goes for Opobo to the extent that the Ibani language will be extinct in our lifetime while Igbo is flourishing.

Yoruba has varius dialects, but you don't see people dividing over that. And I am pretty sure culture varies from one Yoruba clan to another.

I find it funny that it is Non-Igbos trying to dictate who is Igbo and who isn't.

yes you are right smiley, but the various yoruba dialect you are talking about see each other as yoruba

in SE not all groups agree that they are igbo undecided
#
how do we solve that issue smiley
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Akhenaten: 9:56pm On Jan 10, 2011
Deleted
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 9:56pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

Our ethnicity is defined predominately defined by our language. The cultural aspect varies from clan to clan, but for the most part, we are similar. However, I would stop at language, because if I use culture, some Igbos are similar to Igala or Bini, and my very own cultural practices are similar to other groups such as the Ibibio/Efik/Annang.

You do know that Igbos are found in great numbers in Bonny? Igbo language is the dominant language, since many Igbo slaves could be found in that region. The same goes for Opobo to the extent that the Ibani language will be extinct in our lifetime while Igbo is flourishing.

Yoruba has varius dialects, but you don't see people dividing over that. And I am pretty sure culture varies from one Yoruba clan to another.

I find it funny that it is Non-Igbos trying to dictate who is Igbo and who isn't.
Your claim is like saying hausas and kanuris are fulanis or binis, nupes and igalas are yorubas. Anyway, I have given you my advise.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Akhenaten: 9:58pm On Jan 10, 2011
Deleted
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by ekubear1: 9:58pm On Jan 10, 2011
Abeg, let the Igbo and their neighbors resolve who is Igbo and who isn't. Doesn't really concern any of the rest of us, I think.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Akhenaten: 10:00pm On Jan 10, 2011
Deleted
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 10:00pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

The reason why I am angry with people like you is because you are talking pure crap.

When did Delta IGBO deny being Igbo? They wouldn't be calling themselves Delta Igbo if they didn't consider themselves Igbo.

And your nonsense about the Ngwa make me sick. My ancestors who founded my village are Ngwa and my village speaks the Northern Ngwa dialect. If we consider ourselves Igbo, what does that tell you?

if you like throw up or vomit i really do not care.
#

this is a quote from a delta ibo

""ok prof,its obvious that u are from across the niger.lol(no hard feelings). I bet you would never guess where i came from without my first and married names, and i can def.tell that you are an igbo person from your name. I believe you can tell the difference in your dialects because you are from that part of the country,but as for people from outside,we see all igbo people as one.(and i know they see themselves as such)and as i am personally not interested in exploring all the igbo dialects nor their different accents,i know i can tell when an igbo person speaks with an accent.Based on the fact that some igbos think we are trying to fit in ,and the basis of this discussion being what we love most about being Delta ibo, i still love the fact that we dont have the igbo accent amongst other things."""

tell me what you think without insult

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Learn From The Arab Uprisings, OBJ To ‘sit-tight Leaders’ In Africa / 1,000 Commuters Move By Train To Ilorin / Prof Soludo Tears Okonjo Iweala To Shreds.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.