Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,274 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? (5347 Views)

Onshore Oil Fields They Don't Want You To See / Govt Opens Bid Round For 31 Marginal Oil Fields / Maps Of Oil Fields In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by ekubear1: 1:37am On Jan 11, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

The right answer is clearly the repeal of all sharia related  laws or courts that contravene any other REAL law.

One cannot selectively apply "states' rights" when it suits one (to be able to enforce Sharia) against the provisions of standard federal law, which do not allow for the stoning to death of adulterers or the death sentence for adultery, among other things, but then assert that others cannot claim states' rights to 50% or greater derivation of proceeds from state resources against the current governmental arrangement. It's just power-drunk hypocrisy.

If the North wants Sharia, they MUST go for confederation, true federalism, or separation. Of course they won't do any of these.

Do the Sharia laws currently violate the laws of the land? I don't completely understand how the Nigerian legal system works, but I thought that many existing decrees and acts from the military days are still in force. Not to mention common English law, perhaps some tribal laws, etc. So in the example of stoning to death of an adulterers, is that clearly, clearly a violation of the Nigerian federal laws or constitution?

I'm certainly not pro North, but it isn't completely clear to me that they are hypocrites on this issue.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by sbeezy8: 1:40am On Jan 11, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

The right answer is clearly the repeal of all sharia related  laws or courts that contravene any other REAL law.

One cannot selectively apply "states' rights" when it suits one (to be able to enforce Sharia) against the provisions of standard federal law, which do not allow for the stoning to death of adulterers or the death sentence for adultery, among other things, but then assert that others cannot claim states' rights to 50% or greater derivation of proceeds from state resources against the current governmental arrangement. It's just power-drunk hypocrisy.

If the North wants Sharia, they MUST go for confederation, true federalism, or separation. Of course they won't do any of these.

hahaha lol they wont repeal any sharia laws, its southerners who cannot think past having presidency ONCE every 8- 16 years.

Even Ribadu, Buhari that southerners like have no interest in undoing sharia laws. Sharia is there to stay
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by bashr4: 1:41am On Jan 11, 2011
what we need right now in nigeria is SNC and test it for say 5 years if it does not work then total break up according to regions will be the next option but honestly as an igbo man i prefer to be in the same nation with akwaibom and cross river then ikwerre-igbo part of rivers , the ijaws can go their way cause they think we want their oil that was why they fought soo hard with nigeria against biafra. also i wont mind eastern part of kogi and benue state. INFACT JUST DIVIDE THE COUNTRY INTO MUSLIM NORTH AND CHRISTIAN SOUTH.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by ekubear1: 1:41am On Jan 11, 2011
Missy85:

thought you were studying in the US, but I see on this thread that you are in abuja?
Yep, wrapping up grad school in a couple years. I visit Abuja when I have time/money though, family is there.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by bashr4: 1:43am On Jan 11, 2011
secondly presidential tenure should be decreased to 2 years, i dont see why a nation will have to wait 4 or eight years before they can get rid of an incompetent leader
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 1:46am On Jan 11, 2011
ndu_chucks:

jason, do you believe that the territorial waters and the resources therein belong to the coastal regions as opposed to Nigeria?

It belongs to Nigeria but in the case of a split, you do not have an access to the ocean so how can you claim an oil well there if its not part of your territory? You would not even have a navy talkless of an oil well! Take a look at your map and see if it is possible for the north to claim an oil well. Even if they do, I can put my money that the IJAWS would NEVER allow you guys to tap a drop of oil talkless of the yorubas and igbos! cool
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:54am On Jan 11, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@PhysicsMHD,  Please point out the spin, I'm big enough to accept valid correction. I dey wait. Why does your user name keep changing from thread to thread? Lets hope you haven't been spending too much time in the romance area and harassing the girls in manners that get you banned

You and jason have to do better than name calling.

"As far as the on shore oil fields are concerned, appropriate derivations are in place and the states where those fields are located are appropriately compensated." lol@ this? What is "appropriate"? The garbage derivation they get right now?

"Your reps can decide to adjust the numbers as they see fit," lol@ this, can they in fact do so, or will a massive argument involving far-away parasites ensue if numbers are adjusted to 1950-60s types of numbers.

" that’s what democracy is all about.   Now in order to pay the North off with some of the proceeds of the on shore oil fields, you’d also have to repay the funds provided from ground nut exports, most of which was used to pay your salaries, build some of your infrastructure, and actually develop some of the very oil fields in question.  I dey go come." - utter rubbish, read through the thread I linked to earlier.

And why does it concern you what my username is going to be next? I always say who I am, regardless. Why is jason's username different now? Why is DapoBear's, Blackteeth, etc. Why does it matter? I don't even go to the romance section so leave off of that.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by nduchucks: 1:55am On Jan 11, 2011

It belongs to Nigeria but in the case of a split, you do not have an access to the ocean so how can you claim an oil well there if its not part of your territory? You would not even have a navy talkless of an oil well! Take a look at your map and see if it is possible for the north to claim an oil well. Even if they do, I can put my money that the IJAWS would NEVER allow you guys to tap a drop of oil talkless of the yorubas and igbos!

Do you know that your post above is not necessarily inconsistent with what I am saying? At the moment, the off shore oil and the resources therein belong to Nigeria.  In case of a split, I agree with everything you've written. I am not however delusional enough to think that a split that would allow the coastal areas to keep all the off shore resouces without a well-negotiated agreement is possible. That is why I insist that you cannot give to the North what does not belong to you.

Even if we agree to 100% resource control under our current system, no region can claim 100% of offshore oil or other resouces that may be located 100 miles from land, on the Atlantic.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by macjive01: 2:04am On Jan 11, 2011
Delected
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 2:04am On Jan 11, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Do you know that your post above is not necessarily inconsistent with what I am saying? At the moment, the off shore oil and the resources therein belong to Nigeria.  In case of a split, I agree with everything you've written. I am not however delusional enough to think that a split that would allow the coastal areas to keep all the off shore resouces without a well-negotiated agreement is possible. That is why I insist that you cannot give to the North what does not belong to you.

Even if we agree to 100% resource control under our current system, no region can claim 100% of offshore oil or other resouces that may be located 100 miles from land, on the Atlantic.  

Atleast you agree. It shows we can dialogue.

okay, you and I know that the north does not want resource control. Why? because they would be the worst of the bunch! Firstly, the yorubas have the largest gas reserves in nigeria, the SS has oil (we all know) and the east has oil too but not as much as the SS or SW but its complimented by their hardworking and industrious nature. The north. . . .  .I have not seen anything tangible (no offence, seriously). As for the negotiation, IF THE SW,SS AND SE WITH THE MIDDLE BELT want to leave THEN THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR NEGOTIATION. Why? why should they negotiate if nothing would be gained? And why would the North want to wipe out themselves So there would be no negotiation. If there is, ITS AN ACT OF GOOD WILL.

PS: I have tried to reduce the offensiveness of the post but this is the best. Pls, be mature about your reply.

edited
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 2:15am On Jan 11, 2011
macjive01:

Delected

Why did you delete it?
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by fstranger1: 2:16am On Jan 11, 2011
jason123:

okay, you and I know that the north does not want resource control. Why? because they would be the worst of the bunch! Firstly, the yorubas have the largest gas reserves in nigeria, the SS has oil (we all know) and the east has oil too but not as much as the SS or SW but its complimented by their hardworking and industrious nature. The north. . . .  .I have not seen anything tangible (no offence, seriously). As for the negotiation, IF THE SW,SS AND SE WITH THE MIDDLE BELT  want to leave THEN THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR NEGOTIATION. Why? why should they negotiate if nothing would be gained? And why would the North want to wipe out themselves So there would be no negotiation. If there is, ITS AN ACT OF GOOD WILL.

PS: I have tried to reduce the offensiveness of the post but this is the best. Pls, be mature about your reply.

edited

Very well said.

BTW, The North has groundnut and I think Tin and copper and may be Bitumen

PS: I really like you on your best days and I think today is one of those days.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:17am On Jan 11, 2011
He "delected" it. He didn't delete it.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 2:25am On Jan 11, 2011
fstranger1:

Very well said.

BTW, The North has groundnut and I think Tin and copper and may be Bitumen

PS: I really like you on your best days and I think today is one of those days.

O se brother mi! Ogun state has bitumen, lots!!!
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 2:27am On Jan 11, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

He "delected" it. He didn't delete it.
grin grin grin grin
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by bashr4: 2:33am On Jan 11, 2011
whats up with all this oil talk abeg make una carry una oil go and drink it whoever it belongs to or rather, i personally wont want the oil in south east to be explored cus i fear it will make my people lazy and unproductive which is not good for our custom. why can we think beyond oil in nigeria?
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by nduchucks: 2:35am On Jan 11, 2011
jason123:

okay, you and I know that the north does not want resource control. Why? because they would be the worst of the bunch! Firstly, the yorubas have the largest gas reserves in nigeria, the SS has oil (we all know) and the east has oil too but not as much as the SS or SW but its complimented by their hardworking and industrious nature. The north. . . . .I have not seen anything tangible (no offence, seriously). As for the negotiation, IF THE SW,SS AND SE WITH THE MIDDLE BELT want to leave THEN THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR NEGOTIATION. Why? why should they negotiate if nothing would be gained? And why would the North want to wipe out themselves So there would be no negotiation. If there is, ITS AN ACT OF GOOD WILL.

edited

I warned you to stay focused, but it appears as if I may have to get my cudjel to encourage complaince. smiley My posts on this thread are in direct response to the thread’s topic. I will not get into a discussion of how to amicably split the rest of the country because that will not happen anytime soon. I will be prepared to discuss a split after you and others tell us how you will negotiate this split. If by SNC as most of you seem to prefer, who will represent each group and its interests – the same leaders that are in power at the moment? If so, then the status quo will remain. How do you plan to seize power from these people when they have the big guns and the money? Once you show me you can have a true SNC excluding the current crop of leaders from discussions, then we can discuss splitting up – before then it’s a useless notion.

@PhysicsMHD - no vex.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Obiagu1(m): 9:42pm On Jan 11, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Do you know that your post above is not necessarily inconsistent with what I am saying? At the moment, the off shore oil and the resources therein belong to Nigeria.  In case of a split, I agree with everything you've written. I am not however delusional enough to think that a split that would allow the coastal areas to keep all the off shore resouces without a well-negotiated agreement is possible. That is why I insist that you cannot give to the North what does not belong to you.

I agree with you especially the bolded.

It will be beneficially to share the offshore oil with the North on an agreed ratio and let the North secede without a war.
If no southerner supports this and still does not want to fight, then he/she should FOREVER cease to complain about the North, whether it's coup, murder, sharia, embezzlement, oil wells ownership, etc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

i am from jail now am going to Visit A Real Witchman / Tinubu: Buhari's Cabal Underestimated The Weirdest Kingmaker / Walk Against Corruption In Abuja To Mark International Anti-Corruption Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.