Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,271 members, 7,829,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? (37331 Views)

No Gree For Anybody: Now See This, Na Your Lane, You Go Gree? (pics) / Buhari Completes The 10-Lane Superhighway Linking Port Harcourt & Oyigbo (Video) / 8-Lane Highway Linking Port-Harcourt & Obigbo (Pictures & Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by VaselineCrew: 1:35pm On May 15, 2020
unite4real:

Reminds me of the song. LANDLORD TRAVEL AND SEE.

There are many roads in Nigeria with markings from Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Kano, Eastern part and South South.

Here in Abuja, the kubwa express way gets markings renewed almost yearly. Same with several roads within the city.

Not all roads in Nigeria have markings. Even in USA and Europe, not all roads have markings. I don't know the reason behind that.

One thing I am sure of is that your point is not correct. Market roads are in many states

Well, kudos to the administrator responsible for the road you mentioned that gets its lanes renewed periodically.

A good example of a road with perfect lane markings though is airport road Abuja. When traveling on that road, you forget for a second that you are still within Nigeria and the drivers all seem to adhere to lane discipline.

However, that is not the case for majority of the roads I’ve seen in Lagos and Abuja. Majority of roads have barely visible lane markings, as they have faded over time, leading drivers to zig zag through unmarked roads.

We need a standard for road rules in Nigeria and that standard cannot be possible if majority of our roads aren’t marked. You can’t cite the USA as an example of a country with unmarked roads, cause those who live there will attest to the fact that such roads are in the minority, maybe found in rural settings and even at that, it’d still be a rarity.

I took a computer based driving test in the USA and most of the questions involved knowing the meanings of lane markings. Yellow lanes, solid lanes, dashed lanes, emergency lanes, H.O.V lanes, e.t.c

How can we have such tests here in Nigeria when the citizens themselves drive daily on roads without such lanes. Even a road as prestigious as Lekki Epe expressway, doesn’t have lanes on most parts of it as they are all faded.

4 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by igbowoman: 1:45pm On May 15, 2020
Because the leaders are too foolish to think of such things
Do they even have road signs?

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by 9japride(m): 1:45pm On May 15, 2020
It's because there is no accountability in government.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Heffalump(m): 1:46pm On May 15, 2020
OP, we don't care about lane markings in Nigeria. That will be too much effizy na. What we need is good and motorable roads grin
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Lordjb: 1:47pm On May 15, 2020
Nigeria jaga jaga... Complete the rest grin
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by IMASTEX: 1:47pm On May 15, 2020
iaamxavier:
My own problem is why do we still have open drainage in this fvcking 21st century?
A country still in darkness?! Even God started with light to show the importance.

2 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 15, 2020
VaselineCrew:
Some roads may have lanes when just constructed, but as soon as they start to fade away, that is the end of the lane marking on that road, almost never to be re-marked again.

Generation after generation of Nigerian drivers keep adapting to the lawlessness of driving on roads without lane markings, further worsening the already chaotic driving situation aided by low level enforcement of law and order by the police force.

I guess to some, we should rejoice at the fact that we even have roads in the first place. Unfortunately, these people are somewhat justified, in the sense that, the unsightly sight of bad roads pervades the entire country.

All in all, we need to promote order in our society and lane markings are a step towards order, at least in terms of road transportation.

You cannot aspire to become a developed country and ignore the details, because the details are far from trivial.

They do.

The problem is , Nigerians are not ready to pay the taxes needed to keep the lane markings well maintained.

We like to admire the foreign countries with their pristine roads...but those foreign countries do something we don't...pay taxes for the maintenance of the road.

Like in the UK, people pay something called Council tax, and other charges called 'congestion charges' which go into keeping the roads in good repair.

Nigeria?? We used to have toll gates on our highways, and they were all removed.....and now the Ministry of Works does not have the cash to pay for keeping roads well maintained.

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Brunicekid(m): 1:47pm On May 15, 2020
TheAfricaQueen:
The roads you see where built before 1960 and were maintained before 1960 There was a framework for the development of Nigeria pre-1960, then greedy Awolowo/Azikiwe/Balewa claimed Nigerians wanted independence. They sought for independence for their selfish agendas, to provide for themselves and their progenies.

To this day the current Political thieves are still miss-managing the roads built by the British.

I am not going to lie, if the British come back and want to take back control of thos country, I will support it because the clowns in power have dragged Nigeria into the medieval ages. Nigeria in 2020 is worse than Nigeria in 1960.
Not in all sphere! Your assumption is TOTALLY WRONG!!!
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Mcfi(m): 1:48pm On May 15, 2020
Vyolet:
How often do you pass Kubwa Express road in Abuja?
Na only that road dey Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by pek(m): 1:48pm On May 15, 2020
tayebest:

Damn!
That road is just too superb. It deserve to be like that though, because, it's same road that leads to the international airport.
Kubwa roads leads to the airport? Hmmmmm. You mean Suleja airport?
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Idiotmod: 1:49pm On May 15, 2020
Lane marking (lounloun)

E go dey confuse driver grin
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by slimfit1(m): 1:50pm On May 15, 2020
ALCOHOLKILLS:
we don't have money for marking grin cheesy

But they can paint the curbs Black and White senseless people

2 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Kalaba(m): 1:50pm On May 15, 2020
TheAfricaQueen:
The roads you see where built before 1960 and were maintained before 1960 There was a framework for the development of Nigeria pre-1960, then greedy Awolowo/Azikiwe/Balewa claimed Nigerians wanted independence. They sought for independence for their selfish agendas, to provide for themselves and their progenies.

To this day the current Political thieves are still miss-managing the roads built by the British.

I am not going to lie, if the British come back and want to take back control of thos country, I will support it because the clowns in power have dragged Nigeria into the medieval ages. Nigeria in 2020 is worse than Nigeria in 1960.
many will qoute you and talk about the slavery mentality shits, but the truth they say is bitter. you have spoken my mind.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 15, 2020
tayebest:

Damn!
That road is just too superb. It deserve to be like that though, because, it's same road that leads to the international airport.

Kubwa road actually takes you to Zuba, where it joins the Kaduna-Lokoja expressway.

The Umaru Musa H/Way is the road you have in mind, and the road to the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport(officially Bill Clinton Drive) branches off from that road. The Highway terminates at the Kaduna-Lokoja expressway at Giri village.

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by simhosting: 1:52pm On May 15, 2020
grin
Because we dont have Roads,

We have Potholes
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by dalass(f): 1:52pm On May 15, 2020
grin
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by frog12: 1:53pm On May 15, 2020
heavy rain removes paint.

unclean roads and dust also remove the paint.

we dont manage properly.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Sunisonflex39(m): 1:54pm On May 15, 2020
Who are those two people posting bad pictures of ph...

no wahala.

na this same ph I dey abi.

na town and diobu them see post.

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by SpaceAngel: 1:55pm On May 15, 2020
Where are the roads not to talk of marking. undecided
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by obailala(m): 1:55pm On May 15, 2020
VaselineCrew:
Some roads may have lanes when just constructed, but as soon as they start to fade away, that is the end of the lane marking on that road, almost never to be re-marked again.

Generation after generation of Nigerian drivers keep adapting to the lawlessness of driving on roads without lane markings, further worsening the already chaotic driving situation aided by low level enforcement of law and order by the police force.

I guess to some, we should rejoice at the fact that we even have roads in the first place. Unfortunately, these people are somewhat justified, in the sense that, the unsightly sight of bad roads pervades the entire country.

All in all, we need to promote order in our society and lane markings are a step towards order, at least in terms of road transportation.

You cannot aspire to become a developed country and ignore the details, because the details are far from trivial.

I've asked this question a thousand times. I wouldn't know if its just an obsession with mediocrity, but I wonder why billions would be spent building roads in Nigeria but a little token wouldn't be spent marking the roads. Sad!

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Warmaterial(m): 1:57pm On May 15, 2020
U no no say na 9ja u dey abi u dey dream
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by ajl: 1:58pm On May 15, 2020
It reflect a culture of lack of order. Anytime I visit Nigeria and I am on the road especially few ones with road lane markings, I laugh like crazy because in the eyes of Nija drivers on that road, its like the marking doesn't exist. Like it has no purpose there. Virtually no one keep to a alone. They drive right on it and switch from one side of the road to another with total ignorance. It seem its a common problem in less developed countries. I have individuals from Egypt and India or Pakistan who joked about how drivers in their countries drive on the road.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by nsidible(f): 1:58pm On May 15, 2020
Mrs Daisy Employs a New Maid Named Layla And Warn Her Daughter Who Happened To Be Ivy, Not To Make Friend With Her. Watch Out For The Full Story!!! kindly click the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuKf_5evg6U
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by obailala(m): 1:58pm On May 15, 2020
unite4real:

What I have below are not Niger republic.

99% is a wrong concluding answer unless u are counting untarred roads and bush paths. Most roads with networks are in the cities. Lekki, Ikeja, Maitama, Asaba, Kaduna, Kano cities, Ibadan. You can be generalizing with outskirt roads.

I agree a lot of roads have no.markings but to say 99%, that's totally wrong it means LANDLORD NEEDS TO TRAVEL AND SEE
May not be 99%, but over 90% of Nigerian roads have no marking.

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by ignis: 1:58pm On May 15, 2020
Must we always copy?
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Vatod(m): 1:59pm On May 15, 2020
Vyolet:
How often do you pass Kubwa Express road in Abuja?
lol, Abuja is the only city in Nigeria, what a miss leading topic, Nigeria doesn’t have road simple!

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Cutealexio(m): 2:00pm On May 15, 2020
God bless you for this observation
VaselineCrew:

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by drLammy(m): 2:01pm On May 15, 2020
They aff chop the money
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by ajl: 2:01pm On May 15, 2020
The day all Nigerian roads are marked and people drive on it like true human beings, then that would be a new Nigeria where everything work and where there is law and order.

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by MekiDu: 2:02pm On May 15, 2020
Not all roads Sha
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by FullBlastLight: 2:03pm On May 15, 2020
It's because oftentimes, they're are not d standardised type of roads & besides, we're often too local here -we don't know d difference! grin
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by SweetCunt97(f): 2:03pm On May 15, 2020
Ckme to Abuja and see Lane markings if na wetin go make you dey alright.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy / Train Derailment In Montana, USA: Three Dead, Fifty Injured / Aba Streets Being Transformed (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.