Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,229 members, 7,829,399 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? (37327 Views)

No Gree For Anybody: Now See This, Na Your Lane, You Go Gree? (pics) / Buhari Completes The 10-Lane Superhighway Linking Port Harcourt & Oyigbo (Video) / 8-Lane Highway Linking Port-Harcourt & Obigbo (Pictures & Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Karlifate: 2:03pm On May 15, 2020
Most roads that I've seen in Abuja has markings because the 'government' uses them.

So, nothing concern them with the ones they don't use. kiss
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by codemaniacs: 2:04pm On May 15, 2020
zz
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by madone: 2:04pm On May 15, 2020
unite4real:

Reminds me of the song. LANDLORD TRAVEL AND SEE.

There are many roads in Nigeria with markings from Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Kano, Eastern part and South South.

Here in Abuja, the kubwa express way gets markings renewed almost yearly. Same with several roads within the city.

Not all roads in Nigeria have markings. Even in USA and Europe, not all roads have markings. I don't know the reason behind that.

One thing I am sure of is that your point is not correct. Market roads are in many states
one of them talking.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Nmezor(f): 2:04pm On May 15, 2020
Its pretty obvious why now OP

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Farki: 2:04pm On May 15, 2020
They do they just rubbed off and nobody bothered to repaint them.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Jbleenk: 2:05pm On May 15, 2020
Amount airmaked for proper construction of roads are not properly utilized for the purpose as a result of kickbacks, bribes and embezzlement thus important aspect of road constructions such as proper markings are neglected as trivial.

Such negligence are the course of many avoidable accidents on our roads.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by 12345baba(m): 2:06pm On May 15, 2020
Those markings slows us down
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by 12inchess: 2:08pm On May 15, 2020
I'm a Traffic Engineer and that is a good question to ask. I currently work in the U. S. First, to clarify not all roads in U. S have lane marking as well especially residential streets or in some rural areas. In that case drivers are expected to reasonably keep their lanes. However most if not all federal, state or county roads are designed to agency standard and would have lane markings. In Nigeria we don't have any standard. In facts many states don't enforce anything. It's not uncommon to find different colors or standards of markings within a single city or town or state in Nigeria. This can be very confusing to drivers who are suppose to interprete the lane markings. What we have in our case is a situation where the Chinese road contractor comes and implements whatever they do in China here. Julius berger comes and implements german lane marking standards. The Lebanese contractors implement what they do in Lebanon and so on and so forth. So in a single state you can have standards from over 20 different countries based on which contractor did the road construction. And that is for roads that even have any lane markings at all.If there is enough govt support, we need to fix this statement. I know how. But I'd want to get paid to talk about it.

2 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by cray91(m): 2:09pm On May 15, 2020
You never see good road you dey ask for lane marking? na lane marking be your own problem now haha
VaselineCrew:
Some roads may have lanes when just constructed, but as soon as they start to fade away, that is the end of the lane marking on that road, almost never to be re-marked again.

Generation after generation of Nigerian drivers keep adapting to the lawlessness of driving on roads without lane markings, further worsening the already chaotic driving situation aided by low level enforcement of law and order by the police force.

I guess to some, we should rejoice at the fact that we even have roads in the first place. Unfortunately, these people are somewhat justified, in the sense that, the unsightly sight of bad roads pervades the entire country.

All in all, we need to promote order in our society and lane markings are a step towards order, at least in terms of road transportation.

You cannot aspire to become a developed country and ignore the details, because the details are far from trivial.

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by basmur(m): 2:09pm On May 15, 2020
Releasing the full money for project is a very difficult thing for our rogues in power.. they will make sure they scrutinized the project to get something out of it.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Liposure: 2:09pm On May 15, 2020
KINEMATICZ:
PORT HARCOURT despite being a major oil producing state cannot fix its roads and mark it
i thought wike is working
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Harrynight(m): 2:10pm On May 15, 2020
hothead:
Your observation is correct. Maybe it can be converted it into an opportunity...Who has tried appling for the jobs Or contract? Maybe kilometer per kilometer

U jus make a point there

That's a job opportunity

Thanks
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Nobody: 2:10pm On May 15, 2020
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Truthbites: 2:11pm On May 15, 2020
We don't have roads, but passage ways
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by xaggar(m): 2:12pm On May 15, 2020
How do u mark this kind of road? We got them many in states and cities like Asaba, lokoja, etc

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by TheCork(m): 2:13pm On May 15, 2020
VaselineCrew:
Some roads may have lanes when just constructed, but as soon as they start to fade away, that is the end of the lane marking on that road, almost never to be re-marked again.

Generation after generation of Nigerian drivers keep adapting to the lawlessness of driving on roads without lane markings, further worsening the already chaotic driving situation aided by low level enforcement of law and order by the police force.

I guess to some, we should rejoice at the fact that we even have roads in the first place. Unfortunately, these people are somewhat justified, in the sense that, the unsightly sight of bad roads pervades the entire country.

All in all, we need to promote order in our society and lane markings are a step towards order, at least in terms of road transportation.

You cannot aspire to become a developed country and ignore the details, because the details are far from trivial.

Lane marking? In that kokorobalastick bush village country?
Brother u should be a comedian!! grin grin
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:15pm On May 15, 2020
iaamxavier:
My own problem is why do we still have open drainage in this fvcking 21st century?
because it is a "anyhow country"
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Virgohills(m): 2:18pm On May 15, 2020
1.5m 6months used
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by damiBJ: 2:22pm On May 15, 2020
VaselineCrew:

Come to abuja....

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by SaintLucia: 2:22pm On May 15, 2020
Come Aba and see plane lane markings.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Dewisedick: 2:24pm On May 15, 2020
If you ask me na who me I go ask... Let's ask corruption... Bush men parading themselves as leaders.

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by vankaid: 2:31pm On May 15, 2020
97% of all tarred roads in Anambra is marked
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Endlesspeace(f): 2:33pm On May 15, 2020
hothead:
Your observation is correct. Maybe it can be converted it into an opportunity...Who has tried appling for the jobs Or contract? Maybe kilometer per kilometer

Nice thought though only if such authority would even answer you when you are not their family member nor political party affiliate.

I wish I could grab such opportunity.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 15, 2020
Lol, the money most have been stolen, standard road construction quotation comes complete with road marking, but believe you me when I say, someone is eating fat from it in every project awarded.

VaselineCrew:

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Westernlove: 2:35pm On May 15, 2020
TheAfricaQueen:
The roads you see where built before 1960 and were maintained before 1960 There was a framework for the development of Nigeria pre-1960, then greedy Awolowo/Azikiwe/Balewa claimed Nigerians wanted independence. They sought for independence for their selfish agendas, to provide for themselves and their progenies.

To this day the current Political thieves are still miss-managing the roads built by the British.

I am not going to lie, if the British come back and want to take back control of thos country, I will support it because the clowns in power have dragged Nigeria into the medieval ages. Nigeria in 2020 is worse than Nigeria in 1960.

Exactly nothing to add at all. Only the thieves and sufferheads wouldn't agree to this truth

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by apexc3116: 2:36pm On May 15, 2020
[color=#] 3184719[/color]
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 2:37pm On May 15, 2020
VaselineCrew:

God bless I for this. I've always wanting to/for someone to address this topic.

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by apexc4233: 2:40pm On May 15, 2020
[color=#] 2285104[/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy / Train Derailment In Montana, USA: Three Dead, Fifty Injured / Aba Streets Being Transformed (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.