Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,463 members, 7,830,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? (37337 Views)

No Gree For Anybody: Now See This, Na Your Lane, You Go Gree? (pics) / Buhari Completes The 10-Lane Superhighway Linking Port Harcourt & Oyigbo (Video) / 8-Lane Highway Linking Port-Harcourt & Obigbo (Pictures & Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by gentlemate00: 6:24pm On May 15, 2020
How the contractor go get money if dem use for makring finish like 9ja go follow am cool shocked shocked shocked

VaselineCrew:
Some roads may have lanes when just constructed, but as soon as they start to fade away, that is the end of the lane marking on that road, almost never to be re-marked again.

Generation after generation of Nigerian drivers keep adapting to the lawlessness of driving on roads without lane markings, further worsening the already chaotic driving situation aided by low level enforcement of law and order by the police force.

I guess to some, we should rejoice at the fact that we even have roads in the first place. Unfortunately, these people are somewhat justified, in the sense that, the unsightly sight of bad roads pervades the entire country.

All in all, we need to promote order in our society and lane markings are a step towards order, at least in terms of road transportation.

You cannot aspire to become a developed country and ignore the details, because the details are far from trivial.

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Mutaultope(m): 6:27pm On May 15, 2020
The bill is still in the national assembly

it will cost #600Trillion
;DThe bill is still in the national assembly

it will cost #600Trillion
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by awoo47: 6:34pm On May 15, 2020
tayebest:

Damn!
That road is just too superb. It deserve to be like that though, because, it's same road that leads to the international airport.
undoubtely d best road in the country fully lit and equipped with road signs. The road con smooth pass plywood. But immediately after airport, nigerian reality sets in straight up
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by rampantlover: 6:35pm On May 15, 2020
RULES DON'T WORK IN A ZOO grin grin grin grin grin HAVE I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION?

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by nextstep(m): 7:05pm On May 15, 2020
Because Nigerians don't heed any nonsense markings. Haven't you seen 5 lanes of cars on a two lane road? grin

But seriously many roads have them, but with traffic, age, rains, sand and dust, etc, the markings fade very early.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by WeRblessed(f): 7:30pm On May 15, 2020
Lack of vision and care for the people
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Czartega(m): 7:40pm On May 15, 2020
VaselineCrew:
Some roads may have lanes when just constructed, but as soon as they start to fade away, that is the end of the lane marking on that road, almost never to be re-marked again.

Generation after generation of Nigerian drivers keep adapting to the lawlessness of driving on roads without lane markings, further worsening the already chaotic driving situation aided by low level enforcement of law and order by the police force.

I guess to some, we should rejoice at the fact that we even have roads in the first place. Unfortunately, these people are somewhat justified, in the sense that, the unsightly sight of bad roads pervades the entire country.

All in all, we need to promote order in our society and lane markings are a step towards order, at least in terms of road transportation.

You cannot aspire to become a developed country and ignore the details, because the details are far from trivial.

You no happy say you see road in the first place, na markings be your problem
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Tunde835(m): 7:42pm On May 15, 2020
unite4real:

You don't talk about marking nigeria but roads. Roads with traffic. The essence of road markings is to guide traffic. Some roads do not fall into that criteria and so require no markings.

Your 99% still leave me with LANDLORD TRAVEL AND SEE.

Check out Kaduna below
Ur just showing 1 road
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Legendguru: 8:37pm On May 15, 2020
Ask your ancestors
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Daraety(f): 9:04pm On May 15, 2020
Have you ever seen any good road in this country
Even if they are, just few of them
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Tonymegabush1(m): 9:24pm On May 15, 2020
Nigeria prblm many that to talk about road marking...... Do u even know no proper house numbering in this country, everything is just in reverse mode...
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Harrisonwo(m): 9:44pm On May 15, 2020
tayebest:

Damn!
That road is just too superb. It deserve to be like that though, because, it's same road that leads to the international airport.

that's lugbe way. kubwa express to town, suleja et al.

but that kubwa road dey sweet for need for speed
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by orumba(m): 10:01pm On May 15, 2020
Pot holes is enough
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by karika2018: 10:04pm On May 15, 2020
unite4real:

Reminds me of the song. LANDLORD TRAVEL AND SEE.

There are many roads in Nigeria with markings from Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Kano, Eastern part and South South.

Here in Abuja, the kubwa express way gets markings renewed almost yearly. Same with several roads within the city.

Not all roads in Nigeria have markings. Even in USA and Europe, not all roads have markings. I don't know the reason behind that.

One thing I am sure of is that your point is not correct. Market roads are in many states

honestly you did not make any sense....98% of all roads in america and europe has road markings compared to 1% of all nigerian and african roads. Personally i have asked this question all of my life but thank God i do not leave in nigeria anymore. Can't you see for yourself that the markings makes the environment look modern ...organized and beautiful.....akwa ibom is doing better.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by karika2018: 10:09pm On May 15, 2020
Kinematics:

Even the areas u mentioned does not have upto 30% marked roads. Remember naija is more than what you just mentioned. I repeat 99% of roads in Nigeria are not marked. I'm talking about Nigeria, not just one or 2 roads in a city.

Guess you ain't looking at the bigger picture.

The pictures you are showing are not even up to 1%of the roads in Nigeria.
Show me 1 marked road in Nigeria and I'll show you 1000 unmarked roads in Nigeria.

God bless you ......He is showing akwa ibom and abuja..not even up to 5% of the roads in lagos is marked. And this is the problem with nigerian youths.......even to identify a problem is difficult....i think he deserves to live in this zoo country.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by karika2018: 10:11pm On May 15, 2020
Kinematics:

I leave you to your belief. Guess what you see in Nigeria to you is what marked roads should be. Where a city will have just 5-10 marked roads and the rest is just there without any marking or road sign.

The travel and see you are screaming should indeed be addressed to you, because its obvious you've not travelled, you only dwell on online pictures and lies online.
Reality is different from what you are thinking... unless you live in a different Nigeria.

Thank you...i think he is living in a zoo
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by funshint(m): 10:25pm On May 15, 2020
TheAfricaQueen:
The roads you see where built before 1960 and were maintained before 1960 There was a framework for the development of Nigeria pre-1960, then greedy Awolowo/Azikiwe/Balewa claimed Nigerians wanted independence. They sought for independence for their selfish agendas, to provide for themselves and their progenies.

To this day the current Political thieves are still miss-managing the roads built by the British.

I am not going to lie, if the British come back and want to take back control of thos country, I will support it because the clowns in power have dragged Nigeria into the medieval ages. Nigeria in 2020 is worse than Nigeria in 1960.
You're right but please don't ever put Awolowo in the league of all these Nigerian politician....mehn man was a legend!
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by COMPAQ(m): 11:00pm On May 15, 2020
vankaid:
97% of all tarred roads in Anambra is marked

That's impossible!!!
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by COMPAQ(m): 11:07pm On May 15, 2020
nextstep:
Because Nigerians don't heed any nonsense markings. Haven't you seen 5 lanes of cars on a two lane road? grin

But seriously many roads have them, but with traffic, age, rains, sand and dust, etc, the markings fade very early.

True. The elements that work against road markings (like you mentioned above) makes the few roads that are marked to fade quickly. Also a lot of the roads are marked with normal paint, whereas it should be done with a paint/resin combination. The paint /resin combination is the one that is thick and last longer. Only the bigger constructions companies with standards like JB use it and even at that I'm not convinced they use it in all cases in Nigeria.

Funny thing though is that it's relatively easy to do. If LASG buys just one road marking vehicle and puts it to work judiciously on a daily basis, there would be a noticeable improvement in Lagos in 3mo this. The entire Lekki epe expressway from toll gate to Novare mall can be done in 2 nights. The vehicle just drives slowly and automatically paints as it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joWkGyaF-AI

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by arnold123: 4:40am On May 16, 2020
VaselineCrew:

niselia no get road oh! Na ikoroh dey
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Libatine: 5:01am On May 16, 2020
unite4real:

There are many roads in Nigeria with markings from Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Kano, Eastern part and South South.

Here in Abuja, the kubwa express way gets markings renewed almost yearly. Same with several roads within the city.

Not all roads in Nigeria have markings. Even in USA and Europe, not all roads have markings. I don't know the reason behind that.

One thing I am sure of is that your point is not correct. Market roads are in many states
unite4real:

unite4real:

Abeg make we dey talk truth small
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by anambraamaka: 7:50am On May 16, 2020
Imagine
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by stivoboi(m): 8:18am On May 16, 2020
naija we hail thee
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by EzeNdiAra: 9:49am On May 16, 2020
Let's see the roads first before complaining of lanes
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by themaestro08(m): 10:08am On May 16, 2020
unite4real:

You don't talk about marking nigeria but roads. Roads with traffic. The essence of road markings is to guide traffic. Some roads do not fall into that criteria and so require no markings.

Your 99% still leave me with LANDLORD TRAVEL AND SEE.

Check out Kaduna below

You see how stupid you are? That road is called sokoto road in Kaduna city(I am KD resident). Its one of its kind in the whole of Kaduna.

Stop spewing nonsense as if we are aliens and not Nigerians.

Stop supporting mediocrity and bad governance.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by themaestro08(m): 10:12am On May 16, 2020
unite4real:

Below are roads in US, CANADA and Europe.

Everybody get his own headache until LANDLORD TRAVEL AND SEE before knowing

Your stupidity is becoming interesting! Like seriously you are comparing Canadian roads to that of a shit hole

Keep living in your little bubble.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by kunletexs: 10:14am On May 16, 2020
Why are some mentioning kabwa Road in Abuja like that the only Road in Nigeria. How do you justify the 0.1% Road with marking and the ones without plus potholes filled ones.

Please make I bring my 2019 grand cherokee to drive automatically with Lane assist. Na there car gon ma go confuse ask you say na Road be this abi na water we dey?
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Rodwave: 12:44pm On May 16, 2020
VaselineCrew:

Lagos roads not Nigerian roads
Roads in my state are properly marked
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Raskasal(m): 6:32pm On May 16, 2020
The ones that has markings, do people obey?
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by vankaid: 7:05pm On May 16, 2020
COMPAQ:

That's impossible!!!
Go figure!
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Nobody: 8:07am On May 17, 2020
kikero:

1.The oil boom era didn't start until 1973, when oil prices shot up thanks to OPEC increasing prices then. It lasted until 1982...before hand, we were reliant on selling agriucltural produce to the UK, along with some minerals. Those markets went from the late 1970's onward...but we used oil revenues to hide the cracks till the 1982 crash.

By the way, Gowon made that comment about having too much money to spend in 1974...when the income from oil was beginning to come in...a lot.

2.Actually between 1960-80 we did build a lot of infrastructure...roads and even railways (Nigeria railways built a railway line between Kano and Nguru in the NE between 1960-64....by themselves). Most of our power supply infrastructure , including generation went up in the 1960's and 70's (Kainji Dam was built between 1964-69, Shiroro Dam was even built between 1980-95 self!).

The problem was Nigeria was not ready to pay for the upkeep of these infrastructure. Take power. Power has always been heavily subsidized, and even then most people refuse to pay. With that problem, there won't be enough money to expand infrastructure, build new ones, keep old ones well maintained (By contrast, Obasanjo allowed GSM companies charge whatever they wanted which is why they have the cash to pay for expanding their infrastructure and building new ones...and why we have things like home internet for example).

3.Finally, our source of income as a nation is dependent on extracting raw materials, and selling them. You don't necessarily need a good road network and power supply, except to a few critical places for that. Whereas, in first world countries, their income is dependent on having things like power and transport working well all the time...which is why the roads in the UK work but those in Nigeria don't.

Something tells me the man behind this Monika is an old and very intelligent man...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Train Derailment In Montana, USA: Three Dead, Fifty Injured / Passenger Forcibly Removed From Plane After Pilot Asks Him To Disembark (Video) / Nigerian Man Expresses Displeasure After He Was Banned From A Gym In Uk(Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.