Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,470 members, 7,830,365 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? (37338 Views)

No Gree For Anybody: Now See This, Na Your Lane, You Go Gree? (pics) / Buhari Completes The 10-Lane Superhighway Linking Port Harcourt & Oyigbo (Video) / 8-Lane Highway Linking Port-Harcourt & Obigbo (Pictures & Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 2:43pm On May 15, 2020
unite4real:

What I have below are not Niger republic.

99% is a wrong concluding answer unless u are counting untarred roads and bush paths. Most roads with networks are in the cities. Lekki, Ikeja, Maitama, Asaba, Kaduna, Kano cities, Ibadan. You can be generalizing with outskirt roads.

I agree a lot of roads have no.markings but to say 99%, that's totally wrong it means LANDLORD NEEDS TO TRAVEL AND SEE

I agree with the other guy. Almost 99% of Nigeria road doesn't have markings

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 2:46pm On May 15, 2020
unite4real:

Below are roads in US, CANADA and Europe.

Everybody get his own headache until LANDLORD TRAVEL AND SEE before knowing

But all these are few compare to what's obtanaible in Nigeria. And if check those road u might observe that vehicles don't plight that route.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Gabaleve(m): 2:48pm On May 15, 2020
Money for paint don miss... Nobody knw where Abba Kyari keep am
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 15, 2020
TheAfricaQueen:
The roads you see where built before 1960 and were maintained before 1960 There was a framework for the development of Nigeria pre-1960, then greedy Awolowo/Azikiwe/Balewa claimed Nigerians wanted independence. They sought for independence for their selfish agendas, to provide for themselves and their progenies.

To this day the current Political thieves are still miss-managing the roads built by the British.

I am not going to lie, if the British come back and want to take back control of thos country, I will support it because the clowns in power have dragged Nigeria into the medieval ages. Nigeria in 2020 is worse than Nigeria in 1960.

That's not necessarily true. Many roads in Nigeria were built after 1960's, and many were infact upgraded in the 1970's and 80's...

1.The Kaduna-Abuja road was built long after independence,

2.Niger Bridge 1 was built after 1960.

3.A lot of highway modernization was done in the 1970's and 80's (Lagos-Ibadan, Enugu-PH, and Kaduna -Kano were dualized around that time).

4.Most of the roads built by the Birtish were built for getting raw materials to the ports for export. Same for railways. If you were not important to the British, no roads for you.

The problem is that Nigeria hasn't had the money to keep the roads well maintained....largely because 1) we dismantled toll gates, and by extension removed a vital bit of funding for road construction 2) we run a resource dependent economy that isn't raising enough cash for our needs...and even before the looting commences.

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by foolbuster: 2:54pm On May 15, 2020
TheAfricaQueen:
The roads you see where built before 1960 and were maintained before 1960 There was a framework for the development of Nigeria pre-1960, then greedy Awolowo/Azikiwe/Balewa claimed Nigerians wanted independence. They sought for independence for their selfish agendas, to provide for themselves and their progenies.

To this day the current Political thieves are still miss-managing the roads built by the British.

I am not going to lie, if the British come back and want to take back control of thos country, I will support it because the clowns in power have dragged Nigeria into the medieval ages. Nigeria in 2020 is worse than Nigeria in 1960.

If only you knew what the british take you for you'll wish you've never said those words.

Ps: please change your moniker, you are embarassing the mother land.

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by BrutusOj(m): 3:03pm On May 15, 2020
Vyolet:
How often do you pass Kubwa Express road in Abuja?
Those are recent roads. Like someone mentioned above, 90 percent of the roads in Nigeria need to be scrapped and constructed newly not the patch patch road by FEEMA..
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by TMKsouth: 3:05pm On May 15, 2020
internationalman:
You don't even have good roads you are talking about lane marking

Lol grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by apexc1855: 3:07pm On May 15, 2020
[color=#] 1028606[/color]
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by armyofone(m): 3:08pm On May 15, 2020
Rain washed it off because they use native and white chalk to mark the lanes.

VaselineCrew:
Some roads may have lanes when just constructed, but as soon as they start to fade away, that is the end of the lane marking on that road, almost never to be re-marked again.

Generation after generation of Nigerian drivers keep adapting to the lawlessness of driving on roads without lane markings, further worsening the already chaotic driving situation aided by low level enforcement of law and order by the police force.

I guess to some, we should rejoice at the fact that we even have roads in the first place. Unfortunately, these people are somewhat justified, in the sense that, the unsightly sight of bad roads pervades the entire country.

All in all, we need to promote order in our society and lane markings are a step towards order, at least in terms of road transportation.

You cannot aspire to become a developed country and ignore the details, because the details are far from trivial.

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by apexc237: 3:11pm On May 15, 2020
[color=#] 3203497[/color]
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Blissfulend: 3:16pm On May 15, 2020
Your point is not altogether valid!
Corruption has been the bane of the Nigerian society.
Did we have better roads we had toll gates on our roads?
The money realized from the toll gates was all being embezzled.
kikero:

They do.

The problem is , Nigerians are not ready to pay the taxes needed to keep the lane markings well maintained.

We like to admire the foreign countries with their pristine roads...but those foreign countries do something we don't...pay taxes for the maintenance of the road.

Like in the UK, people pay something called Council tax, and other charges called 'congestion charges' which go into keeping the roads in good repair.

Nigeria?? We used to have toll gates on our highways, and they were all removed.....and now the Ministry of Works does not have the cash to pay for keeping roads well maintained.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Walexdubia(m): 3:17pm On May 15, 2020
TheAfricaQueen:

I once said what u are saying now,I told someone I prefer a white man to rule this country than all thes myopic black leaders but unfortunately it's not possible anymore..
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by MichaelDuf: 3:18pm On May 15, 2020
It is a zoo.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 15, 2020
Blissfulend:
Your point is not altogether valid!
Corruption has been the bane of the Nigerian society.
Did we have better roads we had toll gates on our roads?
The money realized from the toll gates was all being embezzled.

Even without corruption, this year we have a budget of $26billion. That's not enough for guaranteeing good healthcare , talkless good roads and transportation.

Mind you I don't downplay corruption, but the explanation for why Nigeria does not work has less to do with corruption, and more to do with how we make the money, which is a function of bad leadership.

2 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by mmsen: 3:24pm On May 15, 2020
TheAfricaQueen:

Nigeria in 2020 is not worse than in 1960.

Things have been mismanaged but the British hardly built anything, their agenda was to loot and then hoard the wealth in northern Europe. Sadly, Africans are a stupid lot who have continued the agenda with a few brief moments of progress.

There are more schools, more roads and more industry than back then. Remember that 1960 is before indigenization of many large businesses.

If Nigerians could put their petty tribalism to one side on important matters life for the average Nigerian would be much better.

2 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Vicyace: 3:25pm On May 15, 2020
No quality control. Simple
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by mmsen: 3:27pm On May 15, 2020
kikero:

That's not necessarily true. Many roads in Nigeria were built after 1960's, and many were infact upgraded in the 1970's and 80's...

1.The Kaduna-Abuja road was built long after independence,

2.Niger Bridge 1 was built after 1960.

3.A lot of highway modernization was done in the 1970's and 80's (Lagos-Ibadan, Enugu-PH, and Kaduna -Kano were dualized around that time).

4.Most of the roads built by the Birtish were built for getting raw materials to the ports for export. Same for railways. If you were not important to the British, no roads for you.

The problem is that Nigeria hasn't had the money to keep the roads well maintained....largely because 1) we dismantled toll gates, and by extension removed a vital bit of funding for road construction 2) we run a resource dependent economy that isn't raising enough cash for our needs...and even before the looting commences.

The first person to speak sense in this thread.

Too many people listen to their ignorant grandparents instead of looking at facts and data.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by authentic18: 3:29pm On May 15, 2020
hothead:
Your observation is correct. Maybe it can be converted it into an opportunity...Who has tried appling for the jobs Or contract? Maybe kilometer per kilometer

Smart
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by dallyemmy: 3:29pm On May 15, 2020
Our leaders don't know the importance
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by DaddyGngeess(m): 3:29pm On May 15, 2020
Vyolet:
How often do you pass Kubwa Express road in Abuja?

Nice one my dear, what ever they see they will say it without cross checking it..
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by akigbemaru: 3:31pm On May 15, 2020
No road markings because you don't pay insurance.
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Truthbites: 3:35pm On May 15, 2020
xaggar:
How do u mark this kind of road? We got them many in states and cities like Asaba, lokoja, etc

U took the words off my mouth. God bless

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by humilitypays(m): 3:44pm On May 15, 2020
TheAfricaQueen:

I am not going to lie, if the British come back and want to take back control of this country, I will support it because the clowns in power have dragged Nigeria into the medieval ages. Nigeria in 2020 is worse than Nigeria in 1960.
This is the only way to savage Nigeria.

Let US, Germany, or even North Korea come and re-colonize Nigeria for like 100years and things will become better than it is now
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by dukeprince50: 3:46pm On May 15, 2020
Kinematics:

I'm happy you follow me everywhere I go. Celebrity things...

My dog keep following me, you are doing a good job...
Dont forget to bring your friends, I need lots of them to be cleaning my behind...
I think its high time u ignore those guys, ignoring them is better
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Burgerlomo: 3:47pm On May 15, 2020
Because they don't have the proper equipments to do the markings period cool
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Priwillo: 3:47pm On May 15, 2020
Because we live in a ZOO
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by mechanics(m): 3:49pm On May 15, 2020
Most have
Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by unite4real: 3:52pm On May 15, 2020
Abdulquadrimuha:

But all these are few compare to what's obtanaible in Nigeria. And if check those road u might observe that vehicles don't plight that route.

Yes. There are far more worse roads in Nigeria even without markings but my argument is that the poster said the roads without markings in Nigeria is 99% and I am like NO. If he say we have unmarked roads up to 85% or say 90% I will understand but to say 99% that I do not accept. That's why I had to show him some pictures in develop countries to prove that it doesn't mean that bad and unmarked roads are 0% elsewhere.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 15, 2020
Nigerians are animals. Even if you build a separate road just for pedestrians, Nigerians will mess it up and turn it to a mini market and government will happily go there and tax the idiots selling on a walkway. Not to talk of expecting the animals to use the right lane on the highway. So there's no point marking the roads.

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerian Roads Don’t Have Lane Markings? by babyfaceafrica: 3:58pm On May 15, 2020
kikero:

They do.

The problem is , Nigerians are not ready to pay the taxes needed to keep the lane markings well maintained.

We like to admire the foreign countries with their pristine roads...but those foreign countries do something we don't...pay taxes for the maintenance of the road.

Like in the UK, people pay something called Council tax, and other charges called 'congestion charges' which go into keeping the roads in good repair.

Nigeria?? We used to have toll gates on our highways, and they were all removed.....and now the Ministry of Works does not have the cash to pay for keeping roads well maintained.

Nigerians are not ready to pay the taxes needed to keep the lane markings well maintained.

The ones we pay are looted.. So why pay more?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Train Derailment In Montana, USA: Three Dead, Fifty Injured / Passenger Forcibly Removed From Plane After Pilot Asks Him To Disembark (Video) / Nigerian Man Expresses Displeasure After He Was Banned From A Gym In Uk(Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.