Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,200 members, 7,839,092 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll (16246 Views)

Poll: Who is your candidate?

Buhari(CPC): 48% (356 votes)
Dele Momodu (NCP): 0% (2 votes)
GEJ(PDP): 25% (191 votes)
Ribadu(ACN): 21% (157 votes)
Utomi(SDMP): 1% (13 votes)
Okotie(FP): 0% (4 votes)
Shekarau(ANPP): 0% (5 votes)
Others: 1% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

Official (presidential only) Results So Far Declared By INEC As At March 30 / Official Presidential Election Result For Ondo Has Been Released By INEC / Nairaland Presidential Opinion Poll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Muza(m): 1:56pm On Jan 15, 2011
Nsiman:

Gej all the way. Let's look on their agenda for the growth of nigeria. Gej in his speech on the 14th jan. 2011 made good points about what he's to do the next 4yrs if elected. I may not put them up here, find out about it.
u will be the most gullible fool of the century is u believe that his deceptive speech.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by SkyBlue1: 2:02pm On Jan 15, 2011
Gbawe:

I am not surprised it is now 21 to 14 in favour of Ribadu . Now that feared "bogey-men" are gone (Atiku, IBB et al) Nigerians are now confronted with the choice of a very mediocre incumbent President and a man , even if from the North , accepted across Nigeria to be a goodguy and a detribalised braveheart who wants what is best for his nation and is prepared to do what has to be done . It is no longer down to giving Jonathan sympathy votes because he is competing against individuals Nigerians love to hate (IBB, Atiku, et al). We can now , finally , have issue based debates. Naturally , Ribadu will carry the day because the brightest Nigerians who just want a functional nation and are not hungry , by virtue of having skills that make them money,  are behind him. Polls like these will bear this out. Yes it may be diasporan and well-off Nigerians voting on NL but the powerful message sent is that folks who have their own minds , are well-informed and are not motivated by 'bags of rice' , will vote for Ribadu ahead of "more of the same" GEJ. The next few weeks will be interesting .

Ribadu's profile is now skyhigh internationally. Recently , with glowing endorsements from the International community  , he was nominated to act as a consultant for Afghanistan in the nations battle against Corruption !!! While nations outside Africa ( shocked shocked) wants Ribadu to help them clean up their corruption mess we are considering electing a man backed by the most devillishly corrupt individuals in Nigeria's history !!!! May God help Nigeria !!

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/24553.html

I find Ribadu to be an interesting choice of candidate and while I think this whole "debate for your candidate" is completely pointless and a waste of time (since non of the speakers are actually Ribadu, Jonathan or Buhari and can't really speak for them), I would like to just throw out a question to people arguing for Ribadu based on his "achievements" and "records" (especially with regards to the part in bold). What are Ribadu's actual records? During his tenure as EFCC chairman, of all the so called people on his target list, how many of them were actually sucessfully prosecuted and how many of them are in jail today? Is a plea bargain (which seemed to become the norm during his tenure) an effective enough deterrent for would be corrupt public servants? Do you think telling someone he can still billions but return some of it and go free is a good deterrent to stealing and corruption? So we are to ignore what actually happened during his tenure because he got positive attention from the international community?

Personally, if Ribadu came out today and said he had the best intentions for Nigeria at heart, I would not doubt him (even if I would like to hear him give an account of his EFCC tenure nefore seriously considering him). However, I think we a endangering and shortchanging ourselves as Nigerians if we allow the coming elections to degenerate into cheap political point scoring (for people who probably don't know anything about you), propaganda, rewritting of history and petty squabbles just to "win" even pettier online "arguments". It will be a shame because at the end of the day the losers would once again be NIGERIANS. Just putting this out there, but I think a more rational approach should suffice. If someone criticises something about a candidate you like, don't take it as an insult on you (because that is just plain childish doing so for someone who probably doesn't know your name - personal view), and don't try to (even worse) pretend you know what the candidate would say and argue for him. We need to be looking for the best candidate for Nigerians and need to as Nigerians try to be pushing for more progressive practises during these elections (like live debates between candidates - with pressure and organisation I believe we can). We need to stop shortchanging ourselves with this oversabi mentallity.

Personally, I don't intend on making a choice between the candidates until I hear them speak more specifically about the issues and debate against each other. But from perceptions, Ribadu seems an idealist who has at least had some exposure abroad and the way things work outside the country (which I think is a good thing), however, I consider his past records to be his stumbling block and not his foundation.

Buhari appeals because of his seemingly unwavering stance on discipline and corruption (which the country really needs to tackle) and if he says he would do something, out of all the candidates I would be more inclined to believe he would act on his word (personal view). However, his past proves his stumbling and not his foundation building block (since he has been known to show favouritism on tackling corruption during his dictatorship regime).

One thing that impressed me about Jonathan's less than one year in office includes things like the Local Content Bill (which is yet to be passed by the legislature). The bill itself shows an understanding of the more basic and fundamental workings of an economy, and its importance for the Nigerian economy cannot be overemphasised (which is why the oil industry seems to be fighting against its passage); but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have grabbed the public's interest or imagination (I would advice all Nigerians to read it). There has also been issues like restructuring of the power industry and the selling off of its basic components to private hands, as well as improvement in the supply of petrol. However, I am not quite sure how committed he is to tackling corruption, or how serious he is in making sure we have a free and fair general election (which is why if Atiku won the primaries it wouldn't have been the end of the world because then at least I would have been more confident in Jonathan, with nothing to lose, working harder to give us a free and fair election which could put an opposition party into power - a first for Nigeria).

Those are my personal views on the candidates and I am not a hundred percent sure on who I would vote for if asked (although I do have personal leanings), but I advice we approach this maturely and rationally, and not focus on petty point scoring. Nigerians stand to lose from not getting the best man out of the proposed candidates, so please let us at least try to rise above partisan and petty politics.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 2:04pm On Jan 15, 2011
Muza:

u will be the most gullible fool of the century is u believe that his deceptive speech.

Indeed . Especially when OBJ, Anenih and Danjuma co-wrote the speech for GEJ while Aondoakaa did the proof-reading   grin grin grin Nonsense . As if Nigeria , in its history, is short of many evocative speech (far more brilliant than that of GEJ) that transpired into zero for our nation. A man who has proven he has no sincerity makes a speech and some folks are getting excited . God bless you Fela for "Sufferiing and smiling"
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 2:36pm On Jan 15, 2011
Sky Blue:

Those are my personal views on the candidates and I am not a hundred percent sure on who I would vote for if asked (although I do have personal leanings), but I advice we approach this maturely and rationally, and not focus on petty point scoring. Nigerians stand to lose from not getting the best man out of the proposed candidates, so please let us at least try to rise above partisan and petty politics.

It is becoming irksome responding earnestly to you GEJ fans when most of you never demonstrate a reciprocal attempt to respond to what others say . I am not going to bother listing Ribadu's achievements for you . I have done same in the past and you can search NL archive if you want . You guys always want to put ribadu and others on the spot while never responding to any critical examination of your highly flawed candidate. All you GEJ fans will need to start proving your integrity to me if you want me to respond to what you write because , based on your[b] one-way [/b] style of talking , while not listening or attempting to deal with issues other raise against your candidate , I will not be bothering with most of you . Na-so , IMO , is the only Nairaland supporter of GEJ who genuinely attempts to respond to issues. Now respond to what I write below or refrain from bothering me .

@GEJ fans.

The main problem with you guys is that , like the candidate you support , you all do not have an enduring commitment to things being done in the right and proper way. You all don't have the personal integrity to appreciate that , for an almost lawless nation , adherrence to the rule of law is paramount if Nigeria is not to become a failed State. No one should be more symbolic of total dedication to the rule of law than our President.

In Jonathan , we have a President ready to behave like an uncouth gangster at every stage with his tacit endorsement of lawlessness and criminality . Sometimes , when desperation is high , Jonathan will be seen unequivocally and overtly using the office of the Presidency to thwart the need for democracy and the rule of law to take their course. We saw this with how he wanted his political appointees to be made voting PDP delegates . When that failed his minions at the Senate and house of reps decided that they must urgently pass into law statutes that will allow them to become voting delegates of their political Parties. Mind boggling when one considers that these same indolent f.uckers did not attempt to expedite the passage of bills that can have drastic effects in moving Nigeria forward yet , come election time , they are pontificating that their right to vote in , and thus influence,  an election is sacrosanct. That is classic proof that our national woes , under rudderless and unprincipled GEJ, will continue.

No fan of Jonathan has ever , on NL, responded with any measure of integrity when I have asked why our fully empowered C-in-C has , till date , not reacted effectively to bring order to Ogun State over the impeachment debacle instigated by his coordinator for the SW region . If at all Jonahan appreciates that dangerous precedences will be set that will , at the very least, move us closer to a scenario where local "strong men" are encouraged to do as they please , Somalia-style, we will not see him ignoring gansterism everywhere. A very dangerous leader indeed perhaps in the same mould as the many divisive and rabidly incompetent leaders who deliberately stoked the fire that has breeded the Somalias and Sudans we see today. I wait for any GEJ fan to explain Mr. President's dangerous descent , with Senator Folarin's impromptu'acquittal' of a murder charge, into the realm of recklessly setting precedents of judical lawlessness more associated with nations where law and order has broken down irretrievably:
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Nsiman(m): 2:39pm On Jan 15, 2011
I call it a speech, it was his agenda for nigeria.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by SkyBlue1: 2:50pm On Jan 15, 2011
Gbawe:

It is becoming irksome responding earnestly to you GEJ fans when most of you never demonstrate a reciprocal attempt to respond to what others say . I am not going to bother listing Ribadu's achievements for you . I have done same in the past and you can search NL archive if you want . All you GEJ fans will need to start proving your integrity to me if you want me to respond to what you write because , based on your[b] one-way [/b] style of talking , while not listening or attempting to deal with issues other raise against your candidate , I will not be bothering with most of you . Na-so , IMO , is the only Nairaland supporter of GEJ who genuinely attempts to respond to issues. Now respond to what I write below or refrain from bothering me .

Just to keep things moving I will ignore your childishly mocking remarks and focus on the points raised. I don't hold brief for Jonathan. I cannot speak for Jonathan, neither have I at any point claimed to speak for him. What is important to me is the best out of the major candidates getting a shot (which we won't discover if we are afraid to prod and make some names untouchable or beyond criticism and reprimand). The whole Senator Folarin debacle is a valid one and the only thing I can think of is elections, simple as that. Jonathan's tactics probably changed once he decided to run for elections. As a result winning elections has gained prominence in his list of priorities (possibly above other things). You might not agree with it, you might hate it, you might even argue about its questionable morality (and I will agree with you on that), but it is understandable and pretending otherwise is simply dishonest. I have tried to answer that question to the best of my understanding (even though the question was never ever posited to me).

Now why don't we turn the focus back on Ribadu. You say you have listed his achievements but I would like to look beyond international celebrity and focus on concrete records of the EFCC when he was leading it (after all that is how he gained prominence), so why don't we take stock? Considering the seemingly endless list of people that happened to be in his cross hairs while he was in office, is it crazy to ask how many of these people are in jail today? How many of these people have been prosecuted? I remember the whole Odilli saga quite well, I also remember being told that all governors apart from Donald Duke were pretty much corrupt and there was evidence to prove it, so please do tell, what happened? Why weren't these people prosecuted and why do a lot of them still have mansions in Abuja? Is plea bargaining an effective deterrent to the corruption he so vocally proclaimed to fight? These are genuine questions, no agenda, just genuine questions. Are they so ridiculously irrelevant and wrecklessly audacious that the issues they raise do not deserve to be addressed?
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by DrKnow1(m): 3:15pm On Jan 15, 2011
@sky blue ^^^^^^
I will vote for Ribadu not for his achievements or any other thing but on one single act of his only - For not pocketing the $15million bribe offered him by Ibori. Not many Nigerians can do that. I see him as a honest man to trust. He took the money and deposited it in the Central Bank. He could only investigate and arrest people. The prosecution and outcome of such cases rest with the AGF and the Judiciary. By the way, do you know there was controversy over making Ribadu to be answerable to the AGF? That the the prosecution of high profile cases should be done by the AGF.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by SkyBlue1: 3:29pm On Jan 15, 2011
Dr Know:

@sky blue ^^^^^^
I will vote for Ribadu not for his achievements or any other thing but on one single act of his only - For not pocketing the $15million bribe offered him by Ibori. Not many Nigerians can do that. I see him as a honest man to trust. He took the money and deposited it in the Central Bank. He could omly arrest and charge people to court. The outcome of such cases rest with the AGF and the Judiciary. By the way, do you know there was controversy over making Ribadu to be answerable to the AGF?

Fair enough. But bare in mind, I never said he was dishonest, I only said we should look at his records and see that they may not tally with the picture some people would try to paint of glowing achievements which heralded a golden age of minimal corruption in the country. I know of the AGF controversy and yes the Yar Adua government sidelined him deceitfully witht he police course farce. However, Ribadu was not the one who put Bode George in jail. The case against Peter Odilli reached a crescendo close to the PDP primaries but died down after that, why? It is very easy to blame the judiciary for this, but considering the number of cases and the alleged "evidence" it had against many public office holders, is saying 'it was the juduciary's fault' actually justifiable? Plea bargains became the norm in his tenure, are they effective deterrent for corruption? Apart from petty 419 scam emailers, how many people did Ribadu successfully prosecute? With stories of poorly assembled and researched cases brought up by the EFCC in court does it make sense to only blame the judiciary and make EFCC under Ribadu the saint?

We expect the person who becomes president to be able to get things done, don't we? I don't want a president who would be harping on about what is wrong with the country without actually working to get the darn thing fixed. My qualms with Ribadu is that for the level of noise he made through the media on the work he was doing in the country, he seemed to achieve comparatively little. We were given an image of a mordern day lone desperado fighting a hopelessly corrupt system and bringing people to book, but the records seem to say a bit different, don't they? If Ribadu came out and said he made mistakes during his tenure and just at least address that era in Nigeria, I would be more satisfied with considering him. I like his exposure and he seems more of a technocrat than the rest (which I think is a good thing for our nation), but let us not pretend everything is perfect and rosy with regards to Ribadu.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by jason123: 4:31pm On Jan 15, 2011
@ Beaf
Let's put our differences behind us ( atleast for now grin)
Now, can you tell US the reason to vote for GJ? I mean any tangible reason. Once you give me a valid reason, I promise to stop campaigning.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Mojibola(m): 5:04pm On Jan 15, 2011
screw all of 'em
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by safariSA: 6:38pm On Jan 15, 2011
Ribadu has no choice but to reject the $15 MILLION dollars. how can he collect such an amount without being noticed!
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by GP15: 6:49pm On Jan 15, 2011
GEJ is good, but the guy is surrounded by wolfs in sheep clothing, somethings tells me nothing good can come out of pdp, am changing direction to Ribadu
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by jason123: 6:50pm On Jan 15, 2011
GP15:

GEJ is good, but the guy is surrounded by wolfs in sheep clothing, somethings tells me nothing good can come out of pdp, am changing direction to Ribadu

Thank you. History would remember our generation for this!
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by marvix(m): 8:31pm On Jan 15, 2011
Gbawe and all other Ribadu fans, it is good to hope and it is even better to see your hopes coming true.

Ribadu is a good man so is Buhari and so is Goddluck.

To be a president is not a one man show, the presidency is a team work, noone who plans to go the whole hog alone can succeed.

In the run up to elections we must realise that the contest is not for the man with the best of speeches but to the man with the best of strategies. Obama would not have been president as an Independent candidate in America, neither would he have become the president on a republican ticket when Americans were fed up with the republicans despite his speeches.

Goodluck is a politician a lot of us like to underrate and when they do this they suffer the consequences.

Ribadu is challenging Goodluck today because he believes that his profile is higher than that of Goodluck, but on that point he has got it wrong.

Ribadu has even taken it for granted that he can run for the ultimate post in a land where he was a fugitive some months before Goodluck became president, take it or leave it Ribadu as a contestant is one achievement for Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

When Ribadu was in the EFCC was he not used to intimidate others from contesting, but today Goodluck as president not only asked that all charges be dropped from Ribadu but also ensured that his rank was returned to him and retired graciously, so is Ribadu attempting to bite the hands that fed him?

If Goodluck had been stubborn and head strong like Ribadu would Nigeria be where it is today? Would we be looking forward to a free, fair and credible elections by now? May be Goodluck would have been on exile today.

We all want corruption to be brought to a standstill, but we have not realised that corruption in Nigeria is like a fly on a mans scrotum sac, he dares not take a hammer to kill it, like a bull in a china shop must be careful to take it out, like a tumor in the brain the surgery must be delicate, accurate and definitely time consuming.

If today we can take fuel supplies for granted, civil servants salaries for granted, pensions for granted, court judgements for granted. Then why cant I look forward to a time when I will take power supply for granted, good roads for granted, security for granted, employment opportunities for granted.

We are at the threshold of making the mistake we made in the early 80s, when Buhari was trying to sanitise the country, he was doing this without beautiful speeches or consideration of the press or what they said about him, International agencies who stood to lose with the development of this country gave him a vote of no confidence, we all rejoiced when Babangida sacked him but 25 years down the line I make bold to say that is the single biggest mistake in the history of this nation and we must realise that babangida was a youth at the time, Ribadu today is even older than Babangida was at that time and if we must analyse babangidas failure appropriately, it was due to his inexperience at the time he took over.

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is a man with a purpose, a man who is sure about where he is going and how he will get there, a man who understands that you can not achieve anything without the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, a man who understands politics as it should be played in Nigeria.

Goodluck has plans that are in progress already this is one leverage he has over any other candidate in this election.

I know he is sincerely committed to the development of this nation that is why my vote, my mum's vote, my brother's vote and my sister's vote would only be going for Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by jason123: 11:41pm On Jan 15, 2011
My fellow country men and women, did you all see the calibre of people GJ was seen celebrating with after he won the primaries? Its either they have ruled before or about to rule the country, they all have accounts both home and abroad. Even the First lady of Nigeria (Patience, the wife of GJ) has joined them by stashing money abroad. Yet, you want to vote such as the next President of our great nation? That would be unfair on our children and the unborn generation would curse us for not acting now!
My brothers and sisters, are you not all tired of sending your children abroad (even Ghana Cry) for education? Are you not all tired of the 10 years OBJ and Yaradua used to punish us because we voted for them? Are you not all tired of the chaos and rumours of war that has accompanied Goodluck's tenure?

Please fellow citizens of Nigeria, Let's not vote because GJ's is in vogue. Instead, let us vote with determination to wrestle the power away from PDP. We can do it and WE WILL DO IT!!! Up ACN, Up RIBADU!!!!

God Bless Nigeria!!!
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by marvix(m): 6:27am On Jan 16, 2011
Nigerians would make the mistake of 1985 if we allow Ribadu without experience to lead this nation.

Despots have always been made out of idealists, Ribadu is just another despot waiting to happen in Africa, if we are to look closely at his tenure at EFCC it would show the symptoms despots are known to have.

Despots believe that they are always right, they believe that they can do all by themselves, they set up organisations and institutions that rely so much on their personality hence they fear that if they leave the institution that the dreams they have for the organisation would not be achieved.

They feel they can justifiably flout court orders because the Judge may have been bribed or his unfair.

Despots are young men with a very impatient passion of their country, they love their countries but dont realise when they are destroying it.

Robert Mugabe was a leading light in the days of the fight of independence but today can we look at him as a hero anymore, Babangida was younger than Ribadu is now when he Babangida became military head of state.

If anyone says PDP has made our lives miserable in the last 12yrs, I agree, but then I ask one question did our problems start 12 years ago, is the PDP of today the same PDP of 1999,2003 or even the 2007.

The PDP has tried within itself, some of the bad eggs have been frustrated out, Obj is been frustrated, Igbinedion is no more a member of PDP he supports ACN in secret, that is the man who made Edo a confirmed ancient city, can Ibori still determine who gets what in the PDP, where is Odili in the scheme of things in the PDP, where is IBB in PDP just a floor member at least we know that he is an opposing camp to the presidential candidate of the party.

Nothing good comes easily, nothing achieved quickly lasts, Ribadu does not deserve to be president just because of his achievements in EFCC, if that was enough then what office would I ask Sanusi Lamido to go for after his achievements in the CBN, even Sanusi was able to recommend Ibru to court and get a conviction.

Nigerians dont need people who want to personalise office, Goodluck has never personalised his office either as president, vicepresident, governor or even deputy governor, he has always been known to consult and played roles as a member of a team.

If Goodluck could play the politics that delivered him the PDP presidential candidate without killing his party, it tells a lot of a man who would get what he wants without destroying the house.

Goodluck and Ribadu are men both made by Obasanjo, they are two sides to the same coin when it comes to Godfatherism, would anyone have heard of Ribadu today if not for Obj, so please the Obj angle should not be an issue because both men respect him because he brought them to where they are today.

Ribadu is a good man with good intentions but even with good intentions he needs to learn how to preach his message in the political arena, we need to expand our political space, this would be better achieved with a Ribadu in the senate, we narrow our political space when all our best hands want to take the presidency at the same time, it leaves the space for charlatans to take over offices we consider less important but they are critically important, this is evident in the last dispensation, when all the bright minds all wanted to be president in 2007 like there would never be another opportunity after that election, the Dukes and Utomis were running for President while complete idiots like Omisiore and Maeba where quietly stealing seats in the National Assembly.

I know the best man will win and the best man in a political contest is not the man with the biggest dream it is the man with the biggest appeal, it is not the man with eloquent speeches but a man who is understood, it is not a oneman mafia but the man with the mafian support.

I support Goodluck Ebele Jonathan today as I had supported Yaradua when he became president because I can see in them genuine effort to solve the problems of this country within the ambit of the laws that bind us, Yaradua would never do anything with fiat, he ensures that he gets all necessary approvals, Yaradua never exhibited absolute power, just like GEJ is known never to do but can we say same of Ribadu.

GEJ has not disobeyed any court order can we say the same of Ribadu?

The youths should not be deceived, Ribadu is not more youth than Jonathan is, if Generational shift is what we want, we can get that with Jonathan he is only 4 years older than Ribadu hence they fall within the same generation, if we want to leave their generation maybe I should offer my 32 year old self as president of the federal republic of Nigeria.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Kobojunkie: 6:59am On Jan 16, 2011
marvix:

In the run up to elections we must realise that the contest is not for the man with the best of speeches but to the man with the best of strategies. Obama would not have been president as an Independent candidate in America, neither would he have become the president on a republican ticket when Americans were fed up with the republicans despite his speeches.
Goodluck is a politician a lot of us like to underrate and when they do this they suffer the consequences.

So why are you bringing this up here when Goodluck Jonathan, even after realizing that the Nigerian people were fed up with the PDP, and he himself being part of that party for 12 years, delivering nothing to the people, still chose to run with the PDP?

marvix:

If Goodluck had been stubborn and head strong like Ribadu would Nigeria be where it is today? Would we be looking forward to a free, fair and credible elections by now? May be Goodluck would have been on exile today.

Where exactly is Nigeria today? We have, in the past looked forward to a free and fair election, and are still yearning for a free and fair election, which I am not sure should be considered an achievement or we ought to be PRAISING IBB for the 1993 free and fair election( even though he eventually cancelled the results). cheesy

marvix:

We all want corruption to be brought to a standstill, but we have not realised that corruption in Nigeria is like a fly on a mans scrotum sac, he dares not take a hammer to kill it, like a bull in a china shop must be careful to take it out, like a tumor in the brain the surgery must be delicate, accurate and definitely time consuming.

In essence, he dares not cut at the hand that fed him? I mean that is what you are attempting to tell us here, that Jonathan, since he beds the corrupt, cannot see himself cutting at the hand that currently feeds him if he intends to remain in power?

marvix:

If today we can take fuel supplies for granted, civil servants salaries for granted, pensions for granted, court judgements for granted. Then why cant I look forward to a time when I will take power supply for granted, good roads for granted, security for granted, employment opportunities for granted.

So, the oil companies do the work drilling and refining the oil -- Yar adua signs an amnesty deal with hooligans, which leads to decreased tension in the delta, leading to rise in oil production.  All the new government does is sign a release to give people access to the already available product and that is SO MUCH WORK? shocked The Government deserves a medal for this?

marvix:

We are at the threshold of making the mistake we made in the early 80s, when Buhari was trying to sanitise the country, he was doing this without beautiful speeches or consideration of the press or what they said about him, International agencies who stood to lose with the development of this country gave him a vote of no confidence, we all rejoiced when Babangida sacked him but 25 years down the line I make bold to say that is the single biggest mistake in the history of this nation and we must realise that babangida was a youth at the time, Ribadu today is even older than Babangida was at that time and if we must analyse babangidas failure appropriately, it was due to his inexperience at the time he took over.
WOW . .  You are the same person who earlier stated that fighting corruption was an almost impossible task for Jonathan Goodluck, but here we have you stating that one man actually took it upon himself and was able to accomplish so much in so so little time in the fight against corruption. What are we misssing here?

Also, Nigerians never really rejoiced when Babangida sacked Buhari. Most folks did not even realize what was happening. Not until months later did it dawn on a lot of people that we had a new regime, and a corrupt one at that. 

marvix:

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is a man with a purpose, a man who is sure about where he is going and how he will get there, a man who understands that you can not achieve anything without the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, a man who understands politics as it should be played in Nigeria.

He cannot achieve anything without the good, the bad and the ugly? Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this cozying up what we have been crying against? Isn't this -- this continued relationship between the good, the bad and the ugly--- what has cost us billions of dollars in revenue that ought to have gone to developing the nation as a whole? isn't this the unwholesome union that continues to see that the corrupt remain in power instead of behind bars where they belong?
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by beknown(m): 11:24am On Jan 16, 2011
GEJ and PDP brought shame on Nigeria.

After many years of PDP, the results:

1. No good road anywhere, except Abuja City.

2. No genuine electricity after expending huge sums of money.

3. Only the rich can afford to live in Abuja.

4. The poor and middle class are maginalised.

5. No pipeborne water.

6. Slow progress in development in Nigeria.

7. National reserve being emptied with nothing to show for it.

8. Many more - Add to the list my people

DO NOT LET ANOTHER TIME OF PDP LEADERSHIP TO DESTROY THE FUTURE OF NIGERIA.

Nigerians at home and abroad are tired of slow progress in Nigeria. Poverty has developed into crime and youth underdevelopment.

My people, register to VOTE out the PDP machine forever. If you do not register, you cannot vote.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 12:44pm On Jan 16, 2011
@Marvix . You fans of GEJ , perhaps like the candidate you support, never fail to amuse with your hypocrisy, lack of enduring integrity and ability to bellicosely reduce everything and everyone to "them against us". You are all not sophisticated and you all uniformly revert to basely primitive instincts far too quickly than is good for any persons character.
Look at you here:

Ribadu is a good man so is Buhari and so is Goddluck.

and then here:

Ribadu is just another despot waiting to happen in Africa,

How can those two statement be from the same person? Is a "despot" ever a "good man"? Maybe you need to find out the meaning of "despot" to see who resembles one out of the duo of Ribadu and GEJ. If the hounding of Governors with the EFCC, Teslim Folarins ridiculous acquital over a murder charge and the failure to tackle his own election campaign manager over  illegal legislative conducts are not signs of a despot I don't know what is . Anyway, you are not showing yourself to be different from your fellow GEJ supporters with your sly style.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Pain(m): 4:02pm On Jan 16, 2011
If We Will Be True To Ourselves and If Our Collective Concience Aint Seared We Will Vote Ribadu.

Let's Usher in A New Generation. Let's Be Part of History. Let's Witness The Transformation of Nigeria in Our Lifetime. Vote Ribadu.

If You are Below 45 and You Do Anything Otherwise, Then U Have Failed Posterity.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by jason123: 4:10pm On Jan 16, 2011
Pain:

If We Will Be True To Ourselves and If Our Collective Concience Aint Seared We Will Vote Ribadu.

Let's Usher in A New Generation. Let's Be Part of History. Let's Witness The Transformation of Nigeria in Our Lifetime. Vote Ribadu.

If You are Below 45 and You Do Anything Otherwise, Then U Have Failed Posterity.

Exactly!!!
Honesty is the main problem with Nigeria. They say they want progress etc yet they would vote for someone esle undecided. Is it that my fellow country men like suffering? Are we now going to vote based on sentiments? I cry for my country cry
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by jason123: 4:11pm On Jan 16, 2011
Guys, I read this on the web and I thought I should share it with you all.

if nigerians were sincere, who are Jonathan and Atiku to contest for a very high and important position not to talk of being a president of Nigeria?. when you talk of poeple like Nuhu or Ngozi okonjo iwuala or even Dora , these are peaple who have what it takes to lead Nigeria to where our mates like Brazil and singapore are. let us face reality, go back and wach jonathan's first interview conducted by Amampor from cnn you will be ashamed to call him your president , he was shaking ,speeking like a secundry school student and you want to use him to compear poeple like ngozi okonjo iwuala who seats in fron of all the president of this big world and adress them very proffessionally tell them the economic situation of the hole world . Nigerian problem has gone above ethnicity, the question now is can you be able to stand where orther presidents of the rest of the world stand and talk? DO YOU HAVE SUCH CAPACITY?. let us not vote for a president who will be like yar,adua whom for all his tenuers could not visit any important country , no international relation, no important president of this world invited him , he was only junketing from soudi arabia to another arab country . i am a Nigerian but i dont decieve myself with centiments of region or ethnicity , avery body should be wise VOTE for the right person , i do not belong to eny political party and i am not going to tell you who to vote, i believe in a more tronger and developed Nigeria and not a beutifull Abuja with poor alamajaris beging of the treets .

By chidi
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Kobojunkie: 4:21pm On Jan 16, 2011
jason123:

Guys, I read this on the web and I thought I should share it with you all.

if nigerians were sincere, who are Jonathan and Atiku to contest for a very high and important position not to talk of being a president of Nigeria?. when you talk of poeple like Nuhu or Ngozi okonjo iwuala [b]or even Dora , these are peaple who have what it takes to lead Nigeria [/b]to where our mates like Brazil and singapore are. let us face reality, go back and wach jonathan's first interview conducted by Amampor from cnn you will be ashamed to call him your president , he was shaking ,speeking like a secundry school student and you want to use him to compear poeple like ngozi okonjo iwuala who seats in fron of all the president of this big world and adress them very proffessionally tell them the economic situation of the hole world . Nigerian problem has gone above ethnicity, the question now is can you be able to stand where orther presidents of the rest of the world stand and talk? DO YOU HAVE SUCH CAPACITY?. let us not vote for a president who will be like yar,adua whom for all his tenuers could not visit any important country , no international relation, no important president of this world invited him , he was only junketing from soudi arabia to another arab country . i am a Nigerian but i dont decieve myself with centiments of region or ethnicity , avery body should be wise VOTE for the right person , i do not belong to eny political party and i am not going to tell you who to vote, i believe in a more tronger and developed Nigeria and not a beutifull Abuja with poor alamajaris beging of the treets .

Stop posting the trash all over the place o jare!
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by jason123: 4:25pm On Jan 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Stop posting the trash all over the place o jare!

I am the messenger not the author.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Kobojunkie: 4:27pm On Jan 16, 2011
well, stop messenger-ing crap! ROFLMAO!! grin grin
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by jason123: 4:30pm On Jan 16, 2011
Kobo, even if they were used by anybody and they still performed that way, then ,imagine if they are not used by anyone The answer is obvious.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Kobojunkie: 4:40pm On Jan 16, 2011
jason123:

Kobo, even if they were used by anybody and they still performed that way, then ,imagine if they are not used by anyone The answer is obvious.

That is not an ideal way of picking a leader. Oh, by the way, Dora was supposedly used by Yar adua, and then Jonathan and she didn't perform at all for two years straight. Now we are left with Ribadu and Iweala. As for Ribadu, It does seem that he man apparently feels he needs to align himself with one GodFather or another to stand to win or get much done. And that in itself is my big problem.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 5:09pm On Jan 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

That is not an ideal way of picking a leader. Oh, by the way, Dora was supposedly used by Yar adua, and then Jonathan and she didn't perform at all for two years straight. Now we are left with Ribadu and Iweala. As for Ribadu, It does seem that he man apparently feels he needs to align himself with one GodFather or another to stand to win or get much done. And that in itself is my big problem.

To stand even a decent chance of winning , against a squarely entrenched ruling Party, Ribadu must  find a Party with an existing Political structure and Power base he can use as a platform. The ACN , wether we agree or not, is as suitable a platform as any . It is then not a simplistic case of Ribadu aligning himself with one godfather or another. Gani formed his own Party and got nowhere . Soyinka, Achebe  will suffer similar fates also even with their undoubted integrity and popularity with Nigerians. Pragmatic and realistic Nigerians must view things in terms of what is feasible given what obtains on the ground in Nigeria at the moment . What you are asking of Ribadu is unreasonable and unrealistic . Do you want him to run as an Independent candidate? Knowing how we are not yet a nation of politically sophisticated citizens how many votes do Nairalandes think Ribadu will garner as an independent candidate who has shunned the platform of all the established Parties that already exist? Ribadu has done nothing wrong in joining the ACN Party. To get rid of the PDP we will all have to dump idealism and compromise somewhat. 

If Ribadu becomes president and Femi Falana is appointed our AGF would you not accept that kind of meritorious appointment (and more of its kind) as a fair trade off over Tinubu's involvement in getting Ribadu to Aso Rock? What we can all be sure of is that things will not be done out of political expediency with Ribadu. The best men and women will get a chance to serve . That is what we need more than anything else . GEJ's appointments , same as Yar Adua's, are entirely self-serving e.g the IGP who is inferior to most of the officers he was promoted above just so Jonathan can win an election. Already Bankole and Mark will return , as per their deal with GEJ, and legislative stagnation continues with the FOI bill , and others of its kind, gathering dust in a cabinet. I don't think we can afford to be too lofty in our ideals if we want our nation rescued from the PDP.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by marvix(m): 5:21pm On Jan 16, 2011
Gbawe:

@Marvix . You fans of GEJ , perhaps like the candidate you support, never fail to amuse with your hypocrisy, lack of enduring integrity and ability to bellicosely reduce everything and everyone to "them against us". You are all not sophisticated and you all uniformly revert to basely primitive instincts far too quickly than is good for any persons character.
Look at you here:

and then here:

How can those two statement be from the same person? Is a "despot" ever a "good man"? Maybe you need to find out the meaning of "despot" to see who resembles one out of the duo of Ribadu and GEJ. If the hounding of Governors with the EFCC, Teslim Folarins ridiculous acquital over a murder charge and the failure to tackle his own election campaign manager over illegal legislative conducts are not signs of a despot I don't know what is . Anyway, you are not showing yourself to be different from your fellow GEJ supporters with your sly style.

When Hitler started in Germany he was considered a good man with the interest of germans at heart, what about Mugabe he fought for the independence of his nation and was regarded a national hero what has he become today, look around my friend Gbawe and see those who ended as despots and find out how they started.

In a forum like this just because I hold a contrary view to yours does not excuse the insults.

GEJ is no despot as at today and does not have the tendency to become one and also note that I havent said that Ribadu was a despot but said he is one waiting to happen.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Nsiman(m): 6:20pm On Jan 16, 2011
If i may say, gej haters on nl are doing so because he's from ur so call minority ethnic group. I see no reason we shld criticise a virgin govt. Let's give him a chance and if we must criticise let it be constructive one and suggest solutions to it
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Nsiman(m): 6:21pm On Jan 16, 2011
If i may say, gej haters on nl are doing so because he's from ur so call minority ethnic group. I see no reason we shld criticise a virgin govt. Let's give him a chance and if we must criticise let it be constructive one and suggest solutions to it
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by jason123: 7:21pm On Jan 16, 2011
Nsiman:

If i may say, gej haters on nl are doing so because he's from your so call minority ethnic group. I see no reason we shld criticise a virgin govt. Let's give him a chance and if we must criticise let it be constructive one and suggest solutions to it

. I knew you were going to play that card.
@ electorates
Please do not base your votes on SENTIMENTS!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Tinubu: I Am One Of The Best Friends Of The Christian Community (Video) / Constitutional Provisions For Defection —Falana / Will Justice Onnoghen Get Justice From Justice Tanko Headed Supreme Court & NJC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.