Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,404 members, 7,954,602 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:26 AM

What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? (34098 Views)

Poll: Can a woman who can't cook be a good wife?

Yes: 58% (41 votes)
No: 41% (29 votes)
This poll has ended

Ladies, Can You Marry A Guy Who Can't Cook? / A Lesser Evil: A Wife Who Can't Cook Or A Wife Who Can't Manage The Home / Any Woman That Can't Cook Is Highly Irresponsible. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by blackbeaut(f): 2:58pm On Jun 11, 2007
Abi?
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Razorr(f): 2:59pm On Jun 11, 2007
Thanks JJay1!  kiss

As for you RichyBlack, please can you also give me any evidence that states that women who can't cook have husbands who cheat?  grin

It's actually the contrary. If a Nigerian man marries a woman who can't cook, it means he really loves her for who she is and not what she can do. Such a love can last the test of time.  wink

Most Nigerian men do not marry for love,  instead, they marry for convenience.  angry
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:02pm On Jun 11, 2007
Why I Love My Wife's Cooking
There is nothing like a good home cooked meal!
By Dan Sanchez
Epoch Times Los Angeles Staff
Nov 11, 2006

Fresh and Lively Cuisine

Hey you ask, what's so special about your wife's cooking? After all, many women are good cooks. Well, that may be true, but I am partial to my wife's cooking for several reasons, and she rarely let's me down with less than an average meal. Just allow me a few minutes to explain why.

In today's world, you are a lucky man to find a woman who can cook. You (and your kids) are even luckier if your wife loves to cook. I consider myself a very lucky man. Of course, we could also talk about the lucky woman with a husband who loves to cook. But for now I'll keep the writing from mine or the husband's point of view.

It has often been said that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Well after many years of eating good meals at home, I finally have to admit that this old proverb applies to me. It's funny how what you thought were silly or unsubstantiated sayings of the past come back to you when you try to understand why things are the way they are.

Yes, I think so much more highly of my wife, Marie, for the delicious meals that she unselfishly prepares. She is a great believer in that if a meal is prepared with love it is so much more nutritious than a meal that is prepared grudgingly. And as it is in our house as in most homes, the kitchen is the place were people congregate and eat what she lovingly prepares.

And you are blessed, or beyond lucky, if you can pick and harvest organic fruit, vegetables, and herbs from your own garden to use with your meals.

Of course, this may be wishful thinking for some, but for me it's a reality and I'm so grateful for it that I had to try to put my experiences into words and share a favorite meal or two.

Just yesterday for example, my wife made a couple of large pumpkin pies that I thought were the best I've eaten. This was a home made pie that would be difficult to duplicate if only for the uniqueness of its most important ingredient. She used pumpkin not from a can but from a one of a kind, mixed-variety pumpkin that was growing in our garden.

I could definitely taste and appreciate the freshness in the pumpkin pie. It not only tasted fresh but tasted wholesome (i.e., good for you) and went straight to my heart from my stomach. Hey, that's where the saying came from! Máma Mía!

You may still be wondering how all of this good eating gets to my heart. Well, aside from the almost other-worldly great taste, it was a mix between a Blue Hubbard squash and a regular pumpkin, there were the all important human ingredients of "caring" and "doing good for others" that you don't normally get in a store bought pie. For example, the squash/pumpkin was freshly picked by Marie after carefully watering it over the growing season. She then picked it at the right time and prepared the pie as an expression of her loving and giving nature.

All this and more adds greatly to the taste and enjoyment of the pie and contributes to the sense of a warm home environment and ultimately a contented heart.

Marie's Home-made Pumpkin Pie

3 ½ C Pumpkin
1 ¾ C Sugar (Florida Crystals; Organic Evaporated Cane Crystals)
1 tsp Sea Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ginger
½ tsp Cloves
Pinch Nutmeg
3 ¼ C Half & Half Cream
¼ C Brandy – Optional (If Brandy is not added, increase cream measurement to 3 ½ cups)
4 Large Eggs, Beaten

Wash pumpkin, cut in half and cook in oven till soft (about 20 – 30 minutes). Scoop pumpkin from shell, puree in food processor until smooth.

Mix together pumpkin, Brandy, sugar and spices, mix well making sure there are no small lumps of spices remaining. Add beaten eggs and Half & Half cream and mix well.

Pour into prepared 10" unbaked pie shell.

Bake in pre-heated 425 degree F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.; bake 40 – 50 minutes until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with Whipped Cream. Makes two 10" pies.

Pie Crust

4 C Unbleached Flour, sifted
2 tsp Sea Salt
2/3 C Butter (Non-rBST)
2/3 C Crisco (or similar shortening)
1 Cup plus 1 T ice cold water (put water in freezer before assembling ingredients)

Sift flour and salt together. Cut in butter and shortening with pastry blender until it resembles small peas. Add water and mix quickly with a fork. Gather dough with fingers until it is all mixed together (do not knead). Divide in half, roll out on wax paper and unroll over pie dish; removing wax paper after dough is positioned correctly. Crimp dough around edges, making sure there are no air bubbles.

Whipped Cream

1 pint Whipping cream
1 – 3 T Powdered Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla

Whip cream until peaks form, add sugar and vanilla stirring until sugar is thoroughly mixed in. Add more sugar to taste, if necessary.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by JJay1(m): 3:03pm On Jun 11, 2007
It gets to my nerve when guys complain of pot belly and would still drink a dozen bottle of beer and finish eba made from a "kongo" of gari and would never step into the gym to keep fit. Most guys in Naija have never entered a gym before despite their level of education and exposure, but they are regulars at all the beer parlours and clubs in the evenings.

Marry your soulmates, not the best cook in the village. Chikena, And before guys starts running their mouth, Im a guy as well
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 3:11pm On Jun 11, 2007
If you don't want to develop pot belly, hit the bloody gym and stop whining!!

Rectalcranial inversion,that's your problem. If you don't  want to develop a pot belly,eat well.If your partner can't cook,that increases the chances you will eat less healthy food
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Razorr(f): 3:11pm On Jun 11, 2007
Jjay1, would you marry me?  grin   grin  I love you, I swear!  kiss   kiss

I hope my boyfriend doesn't catch me o!
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by richylaw(m): 3:13pm On Jun 11, 2007
Unfortunately most posters here seems to live outside the shores of Nigeria (for how long , I don’t know) and had fast forgotten the cultural trend of what makes a home. It’s disappointing to read ladies not seeing anything bad in not knowing how to cook,
According to the nutritionists, if I were to be raised on junk foods , I wouldn’t have been as healthy as this.
I have an opinion that  myopic ladies would need to make a deeper research on why rate of divorce  is now  hyper-high in the society, compared to the days of feeding your husband on your knees!
Freedom for women…?
I am not a propagator of women slavery. I am much aware of it that marriage is a democratic institution of equal right and not an autocratic podium to bamboozle their (women) feelings and opinion.
Being able  to cook may not be all about marriage, but to a reasonable standard happens to be one of the strongest pillar that  holds the home, irrespective of who does the cooking. I don’t need to be told that most ladies on this thread knows this fact , yet they shy away under the canopy of  western world, neglecting a once high placed value of a good wife in the storm of shame.
Don’t get me wrong, the kitchen is not for the woman alone OK. I do a lot of cooking myself and I challenge the status  of  any lady in my makes of Nigerian and other intercontinental dishes. I for one would not feel comfortable or allow my wife to do the cooking alone , when I eventually marry. There is nothing bad in division of labour, if she doesn’t know how to do certain things I will teach her. But please do not assume that the husband should then do the cooking alone because  his wife does  not know about the kitchen trade.
To believe  that a chef or a fast food joint is the solution to help a lazy woman who can not cook is out of the case. Either you are raising an “African family or an English Royal family”, I stand to say that  knowing how to cook or willing/ready to learn how to cook  is one of the valuable pre-requisite for a good wife who either wants a husband or who doesn’t want to loose him.”olobe lo loko” the good chef owns her husband.
If you also care to know , the mastery of your kitchen makes you a good mother to your kids, and raises those healthy siblings of yours, tell me, doesn’t it even make your finances more economical?.

@ Poster: THE WOMAN WHO CANNOT COOK IS ALREADY HALF WORTHLESS TO THE HOME ! UNLESS SHE’S READY  TO LEARN. Simple.

I am a Robocop for those who may want to have a taste of raw flesh based on my opinion which I jealously believe is the conc. truth.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by junegirl(f): 3:13pm On Jun 11, 2007
Na wa o!!!! All these just for food

@Seun:
I'm curious, is that really the way you think or you just want to be contentious? If that's the way you think, then your wife will be a very lucky woman.

@topic:
What the heck?! For every person there's a corresponding human being. If you're a man who believes a wife's major function is to cook, there's a woman out there (plenty sef) who believes so too, so go find her. And if you the type who thinks there's more to life than eating and excreting it the very next minute, there's someone who shares the same mindset with you, just find him or her. Shikena!
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:15pm On Jun 11, 2007
@Razorr
Na wa for you ooo! First you propsed to Seun, now you don follow Jjay1. Seems you are doing what you've accused many men of doing - making your decision on who to be with largely based on cooking. undecided
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by blackbeaut(f): 3:18pm On Jun 11, 2007
Razorr:

Jjay1, would you marry me? grin grin I love you, I swear! kiss kiss

I hope my boyfriend doesn't catch me o!

Dont worry, your boyfriend wont mind!
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 3:18pm On Jun 11, 2007
@Seun:
I'm curious, is that really the way you think or you just want to be contentious? If that's the way you think, then your wife will be a very lucky woman.

Talking is the easy part.Its only when he gets married that we can tell whether he can cope with a wife that can't cook over the long term
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by amaikama(m): 3:19pm On Jun 11, 2007
sometimes we all miss the point. if a woman can't cook then wat her use? mind u, she will not only cook for the husband but family, friends and strangers and it's a shame when a stranger comes to ur house and ur wife can't set a table before u and the stranger.

Pls send her home to mama!! i really don't know what sort of women the world is breading these days. that how an elderly man said to me one day. he said, "Austin, it only God that can choose a wife for your generation."which i quite agree.

if a woman can't cook how would we be eating then?

cheers.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Razorr(f): 3:19pm On Jun 11, 2007
Can all the married men on Nairaland please post their pictures? I mean pictures of their bellies?  grin   grin

If they do, you would see that 90% of them have potruding bellies (from over eating)!  grin

These same men would carry their big bellies to campuses to chase girls young enough to be their daughters!
Shameless Men!  angry

As for you richyblack, I don't have your time yet. What kind of name is Richyblack sef?    angry
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 3:21pm On Jun 11, 2007
RichyBlacK:

@Razorr
Na wa for you ooo! First you propsed to Seun, now you don follow Jjay1. Seems you are doing what you've accused many men of doing - making your decision on who to be with largely based on cooking.  undecided

Irony.I noted earlier that women make decisions on which men to hook up based on relatively trivial things-money,looks- yet when we proclaim that the ability to cook helps endear us to women,they start hyperventillating
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 11, 2007
what is the point having a woman who cannot cook? Of what use is she?
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:25pm On Jun 11, 2007
Razorr:

Can all the married men on Nairaland please post their pictures? I mean pictures of their bellies? grin grin

If they do, you would see that 90% of them have potruding bellies (from over eating)! grin

These same men would carry their big bellies to campuses to chase girls young enough to be their daughters!
Shameless Men! angry

As for you richyblack, I don't have your time yet. What kind of name is Richyblack sef? angry

Last time I checked, young girls in Lagos (esp. the aristo-chasing types) love the pot-belly grin

RichyBlack is coined from my names: Richard Black. cool

Please explain Razorr
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 3:26pm On Jun 11, 2007
amaikama:

sometimes we all miss the point. if a woman can't cook then what her use? mind u, she will not only cook for the husband but family, friends and strangers and it's a shame when a stranger comes to your house and your wife can't set a table before u and the stranger.

What about your kids?Are they going to be eating junk food to compensate for your wife's lack of cooking when you travel out? When I mentioned it earlier,a lady suggested hiring a cook!That's not the ideal solution.

Your wife cooks not only for you but for the children.The kids get to eat most of the food.If your wife can't cook and you are not home. . .its a big problem.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by blackbeaut(f): 3:27pm On Jun 11, 2007
amaikama:

sometimes we all miss the point. if a woman can't cook then what her use? mind u, she will not only cook for the husband but family, friends and strangers and it's a shame when a stranger comes to your house and your wife can't set a table before u and the stranger.

Please send her home to mama!! i really don't know what sort of women the world is breading these days. that how an elderly man said to me one day. he said, "Austin, it only God that can choose a wife for your generation."which i quite agree.

if a woman can't cook how would we be eating then?

cheers.

If i had a cane, i would flog you! Are you saying that the only use you can have of a woman is her ability to cook?  shocked I am shocked!
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 3:27pm On Jun 11, 2007
davidylan:

You want to provoke the femi[i]nazis [/i]   grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by mukina2: 3:27pm On Jun 11, 2007
Iman if your wife cant cook. comot  her for home simple angry stop getting people riled up  in here angry
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 3:29pm On Jun 11, 2007
mukina2:

Iman if your wife can't cook. comot  her for home simple angry stop getting people riled up  in here angry

Chances are, we won't have gotten married in the first place grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Razorr(f): 3:30pm On Jun 11, 2007
I-man:

Irony.I noted earlier that women make decisions on which men to hook up based on relatively trivial things-money,looks- yet when we proclaim that the ability to cook helps endear us to certain women,they start hyperventillating

I-man, I get your point. I quite agree with you.

I'm sure you won't be offended then, if I start a thread titled [size=14pt]'What is the value of a man with a tiny penis'[/size]!   grin   grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 3:32pm On Jun 11, 2007
Razorr:

I'm sure you won't be offended then, if I start a thread titled [size=14pt]'What is the value of a man with a pencil d*ick'[/size]!   grin   grin

Its a free world . grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jun 11, 2007
I-man:

You want to provoke the femi[i]nazis [/i]   grin

all the feminazism starts and ends in cyberspace. Thank God for anonymity.  grin In real life a woman who cant cook is a liability! Women go on and on about their men must have money, must be a house, must be trustworthy, must be faithfull bla bla bla. The minute you simply ask that your woman be able to boil rice in return all hell is let loose.

Am i hearing folks advocating we hire a cook? Why dont we just hire a wife too so its 50:50. She cant cook, she doesnt consider her space permanent. Chikena!
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by blackbeaut(f): 3:34pm On Jun 11, 2007
Razorr:

I-man, I get your point. I quite agree with you.

I'm sure you won't be offended then, if I start a thread titled [size=14pt]'What is the value of a man with a tiny penis'[/size]! grin grin

Hahahahaha, good one! i beg start the thread grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by OmoEko1(f): 3:35pm On Jun 11, 2007
davidylan:

I hate guys that think like this angry angry angry

So did you marry her as your chef or wife angry angry angry angry angry

Why don't you marry a village girl then
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by mukina2: 3:36pm On Jun 11, 2007
I-man:

Chances are, we won't have gotten married in the first place  grin   

we shall see angry you'll go marry to one who'll show you the kitchen everytime you are hungry
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 3:37pm On Jun 11, 2007
I told the femi[i]nazis[/i] that since women prefer  men that " bring home the bacon" ,its only natural that we prefer that they cook it  grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by blackbeaut(f): 3:39pm On Jun 11, 2007
I-man:

I told the femi[i]nazis[/i] that since women prefer men that " bring home the bacon" ,its only natural that we prefer that they cook it grin
Speak for yourself!
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Razorr(f): 3:40pm On Jun 11, 2007
I-man, you know what's funny? I don't mind doing all the work in the house, as long as the man pays all the bills including buying my make-up,  lingerie and diamonds.  grin  

The man should be willing to let me spend my money on myself and myself only.

I believe I've said this before.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by mukina2: 3:41pm On Jun 11, 2007
I-man:

I told the femi[i]nazis[/i] that since women prefer  men that " bring home the bacon" ,its only natural that we prefer that they cook it  grin

wait for your turn .you will weep angry
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:42pm On Jun 11, 2007
All these feminazi-wannabees should wise up and learn how to cook!

I know tons of Naija families in the West where both husband and wife are professionals (engineers, doctors, nurses) and the African Way stands firm in all its glory in their homes - the woman cooks! When there are special events, some of these women, seeing how some Naija babes are being led astray by the Western feminazis, organize cooking sessions for the girls to learn how to cook. They flock around, ask questions and learn how to do the magic that will help secure their homes in the future.

If a head nurse (really crazy schedule) married to an engineer (true Naija man to the core) still finds the time to cook for the family (I have seen this countless times), then any woman that uses the excuse of "I'm a professional career woman" to avoid her unique role of cooking for the family should not be taken seriously.

Those ladies interested and who can't understand how it is possible to combine career and home keeping should ask the women who are already doing it as we type.

Exceptions: she's sick, very tired, very pregnant grin, traumatized by some event, etc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22)

Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? / 8-Month-Old Baby Dies As Ogun Pastor Orders Concubines To Beat Up Wife (Pix) / Some Childish Things Some Men Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.