Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,969 members, 7,814,274 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? (1136 Views)

Should Religion Be A Relationship Deal-breaker? / Should Religion Be A Barrier For Love? / Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Phate07(m): 7:04pm On Jan 19, 2011

Iran has just banned the production of Valentine day gift items. Why? 'Cos its against their Islamic laws.

So my question is this: Should Religion be allowed to interfer in the matters of love and romance? Is love not sacred enough to be above such mundane things?

Now, if you happened to be in Iran, with your loved one, on the 14th of Feb, what would you do? undecided

In an attempt to banish Western influence from the lusting minds of Iranian youth, the Islamic country's state-run media announced that the production of Valentine's Day gifts as well as any promotion of the day celebrating romantic love between a man and a woman has been banned.

Love in Iran is not outlawed (and the Christian holiday itself is not actually prohibited), but unmarried couples are not allowed to socialize under Islamic law.

According to Reuters, the holiday has become increasingly popular for younger Iranians, which now
make up a huge chunk of the
population. An estimated 70
percent of Iranians are under 30.

The new Valentine's Day
guidelines warn Iranians that legal action could be taken against violators.
“Printing and producing any
products related to Valentine's Day, including posters, brochures, advertising cards, boxes with the symbols of hearts, half-hearts, red roses and any activities promoting this day are banned,” the new instructions read.

Culled from
www.newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/19/valentines-day-banned-iran/
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by iice(f): 11:35am On Jan 20, 2011
Hmmm i'd like to say no but the reality is that man cannot live by love alone.
Religion to most religious people is a way of life. 

I would be pleased to be in Iran on that date.   
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Phate07(m): 7:27am On Jan 21, 2011

^^ Be in Iran on the 14th? Dont you value the importance of the day?
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by iice(f): 1:00pm On Jan 21, 2011
What's the importance? A day that you love someone more than normal days? undecided
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by iyatrustee(f): 4:48pm On Jan 21, 2011
Chai!Nairaland bad oh. 3days after posting this, only 1 person responded. shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 21, 2011
nonsense!!!!
men and women should be in their VALENTINE mood everyday of they year rather than 1 day a year so i say to hell with 14th of feb, if anyone needs this phoney love day to show their appreciation to their loved ones.

as for religion and love. everyone should decide the factors in their life that would drive their union. . . . . .whether it be religion, money, sex or whatever craziness people base their love upon.
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 21, 2011
@ Topic

Religion is supposed to be a way of life so yes, it should interfere with everything in your life . . . including romance!

Phate07:

Iran has just banned the production of Valentine day gift items. Why? 'Cos its against their Islamic laws.

So my question is this: Should Religion be allowed to interfer in the matters of love and romance? Is love not sacred enough to be above such mundane things?

Now, if you happened to be in Iran, with your loved one, on the 14th of Feb, what would you do? undecided

Culled from
www.newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/19/valentines-day-banned-iran/

When you are in Rome, you behave like the Romans!
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 21, 2011
iice:

What's the importance? A day that you love someone more than normal days? undecided

Nope, a day set aside to celebrate love! undecided
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:19pm On Jan 21, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

nonsense!!!!
men and women should be in their VALENTINE mood everyday of they year rather than 1 day a year so i say to hell with 14th of feb, if anyone needs this phoney love day to show their appreciation to their loved ones.

i always say that

why should i be reminded by a date on the calendar and besides nothing is special when everyone is doing it on the same day
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jan 21, 2011
Unfortunately, religion has already controlled 3/4 of what we do on an everyday basis. White wedding dress/Christian marriage for example is no different. Infact Valentines day is names after a Saint (Catholicism/Christianity) which on a religious scale I can see why Islamic countries may have a problem. It's all foolishness to me. I think love is universal and should be expressed regardless of and separate from religion (although I am not into valentine's day myself however showing love <<<< i don't see the crime in that, I guess the fact that it is a Christian thing is the crime.) but apparently most ppl don't see it the way I do. I don't think God or Allah has a problem with a man buying his woman chocolate and a bouquet of roses! I mean come on. Change the name of the holiday if its that big of a deal.
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 21, 2011
ZIM DRILL:

i always say that

why should i be reminded by a date on the calendar and besides nothing is special when everyone is doing it on the same day

well said. . . . . . . . . .  or when it is "expected" of your partner.
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Phate07(m): 7:47pm On Jan 21, 2011

Since Valentine's day appears to be irrelevant, shouldn't it be banned altogether?
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:56pm On Jan 21, 2011
Phate07:

Since Valentine's day appears to be irrelevant, shouldn't it be banned altogether?

there is no need to ban it

eg christian countries allow muslim, hebrews, etc to do their religion tradition
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by iice(f): 2:56am On Jan 22, 2011
Ujujoan:

Nope, a day set aside to celebrate love! undecided

Why shouldn't everyday be a celebration of love?
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Phate07(m): 3:28am On Jan 22, 2011
iice:

Why shouldn't everyday be a celebration of love?

Celebrate love everyday? Now, that would be very boring.
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by iice(f): 3:36am On Jan 22, 2011
Boring how? That the person knows you love them?
Or that love is boring itself? undecided
Do you receive chocolates only on Vals day?
Do you do dinner dates only on Vals day?
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Phate07(m): 4:09am On Jan 22, 2011

Love in its entirety is very boring.
Imaging doing Christmas(ie tryna be a Christian) every day. undecided
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by iice(f): 10:45am On Jan 22, 2011
Don't let the religious ones hear you grin Tryna be a christian indeed lol.
Anyway, to each his own. Some would disagree that Love is an exciting thing.
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by queensmith: 1:35pm On Jan 22, 2011
valentines day has nothing to do with actual love and romance, its a commercial stint. Iran have done well to banish western influences, it is very poisonous to young minds.
But in answer to your question, no religion should not mix with love- its a personal practice (unless your a muslim) thats why muslims are always in each ithers business!
Re: Should Religion Interfere In Love And Romance? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jan 22, 2011
heh

the only true winners on valentine's day are retailers cheesy

capitalism has turned valentine's day, xmas, easter, thanksgiving etc into an orgy of consumerism

(1) (Reply)

Ladies Madness / All Ladies Hav Boyfriends. They're All Taken. / How long will this relationship last? Will i have a broken heart?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.