Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace (12389 Views)

Poll: Do you like AGBADA dress code for International gathering?

YES, I DO: 52% (58 votes)
NO, NOT AT ALL: 19% (21 votes)
IT IS BASED ON ONE'S DESIRE: 28% (31 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Senator Bala Ibn'Nallah's Dress Code To An Event Right? (pics) / Nigeria Is Bigger Than Any Politicians / Its A Disgrace For Neighbours To Join Boko Haram Fight - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by rowlandwhy: 3:17pm On Jun 11, 2007
It's hi-time our leaders stop disgracing us with this "Agbada" dress code in International gatherings like this.

Imagine the newly elected Yaradua in his odd and awkward famous "Baba" attire.

I think this dress code needs to be reviewed ASAP.

Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by panalyst(m): 3:46pm On Jun 11, 2007
so we should be wearing suits like the white man?

COLO MENTALITY,

1 Like

Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by superman(m): 4:04pm On Jun 11, 2007
inferiority complex! i said it and i will say it again in due time

hey colonel gadaffi of libya what do u think?

foolish nigerian all over the place
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by dgb4(m): 4:35pm On Jun 11, 2007
All,
We have to be specific.
panalyst:

COLO MENTALITY,
@ panalyst
You love the dress code? even in International gatherings?

superman:

inferiority complex! i said it and i will say it again in due time

hey colonel gadaffi of libya what do u think?

foolish nigerian all over the place
Who are you referring to,  panalyst or the poster??
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by zexyworm: 5:20pm On Jun 11, 2007
I'm not Nigerian, but I do love the Agbada, and consider the varieties of fabrics, motifs, etc. to be fascinating.

If Nigeria must preserve and hold on to anything, it's Nigerian culture and heritage.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by degoat: 6:33pm On Jun 11, 2007
@Topic, Original Colo mentality!
Our leaders represent our country, therefore they must also embrace our culture. Agbada happens to be part of our culture.
The bottom line: We can careless what these people wear as long as they get their jobs done.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by panalyst(m): 7:16pm On Jun 11, 2007
dgb4:

All,
We have to be specific.@ panalyst
You love the dress code? even in International gatherings?
Who are you referring to, panalyst or the poster??

I like the dress code because it represents Nigeria.
degoat:

@Topic, Original Colo mentality!
Our leaders represent our country, therefore they must also embrace our culture. Agbada happens to be part of our culture.
The bottom line: We can careless what these people wear as long as they get their jobs done.

Brilliant!!! says it all
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by doncartel: 7:38pm On Jun 11, 2007
the suit is the international uniform of formality[business,politics,diplomacy etc]

those who say nigeria is d only country with culture are not quite exposed.ever heard of
the ten gallon hat,denim jeans,spiky boots,neck bandana and double pistol?well thats what george bush
should be wearing as a texas cowboy.ever heard of tweed?thats british cultural wear.
heard of kimono?thats japan.we all know of south african colour and attires.ever seen president mbeki in one?

these guys are not stupid its just that like i said,in the spirit of oneness,the world has adopted the suit as the
world cultural attire[isnt it is better for unity at the united nations summit than everyone coming in their own
different attires]?

leaders who wear their cultural attires 24 hours are seen as eccentric and 'notice me'.some are just seen
as not very serious[or have to prove their seriousness].the best option is a mix of both like in ghana and some
west african countries[and like mandela]
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by rowlandwhy: 8:16pm On Jun 11, 2007
doncartel:

the suit is the international uniform of formality[business,politics,diplomacy etc]

those who say nigeria is d only country with culture are not quite exposed.ever heard of
the ten gallon hat,denim jeans,spiky boots,neck bandana and double pistol?well thats what george bush
should be wearing as a texas cowboy.ever heard of tweed?thats british cultural wear.
heard of kimono?thats japan.we all know of south african colour and attires.ever seen president mbeki in one?

God bless you. doncartel
Thanks dear for educating this forum once more,
Some guys here thinks they know it all but i rate them to be semi-civilised i mean, they have i long way to go to get themselves civilised.

panalyst:

COLO MENTALITY,
This Colo mentality of yours gradually leads to foolishness

@ Topic,
I never said Nigeria leaders should not wear natives, but i highlighted in an international gathering like G8 summit
OK?

More contributions pls
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by debosky(m): 8:24pm On Jun 11, 2007
why should he wear suits at international gatherings? how does that impact the quality of discussions or the resolutions reached? stop chasing shadows my man.

it is still colonial mentality, at best a strong desire to 'fit in' or 'be among' your argument has no merit.

because Mbeki chooses not to dress traditionally doesn't mean Yar'Adua should copy him, I have never seen Yar'Adua wear a suit in his life, why on earth should he do so because he wants to go talk with some men in Europe? He is the President of Nigeria, he doesn't need to dress European. In that one area our leaders have their heads straight.

there is no such thing as 'international uniform of formality' it is a figment of your imagination. because the dominant western culture is pervasive today does not make it the 'uniform'.

the mere fact that you think he is 'disgracing' us by wearing 'bush' attire shows the root of your reasoning, suit wearing is now the defining standard of civility! the whiteman must be really glad about the work he has done on your mind!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by panalyst(m): 8:59pm On Jun 11, 2007
rowlandwhy:

God bless you. doncartel
Thanks dear for educating this forum once more,
Some guys here thinks they know it all but i rate them to be semi-civilised i mean, they have i long way to go to get themselves civilised.
This Colo mentality of yours gradually leads to foolishness

@ Topic,
I never said Nigeria leaders should not wear natives, but i highlighted in an international gathering like G8 summit
OK?

More contributions please

International Uniformity, LOL. BY WHOSE STANDARDS?

I don't understand your George Bush Example because I have never seen him wearing his cowboy suits for any function whether international or national. Its only when he is on his ranch or vacationing, thats where we se him wearing it,

Do you see any of these leaders wearing their traditional attires in the country? NO because the SUIT is a major part of their culture. Hence you have the saying French Suit (Safari Suit) Italian Suits (the silk ones) and English Suits (More Cut out) SO if this has been established into their culture, what is wrong in our leaders wearnig their traditional wear? Whose eyes are they being looked upon as BUSH? thats why i said KOLO MENTALITY CUZ I WANT TO KNOW WHO YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT SEEING OUR LEADERS DRESSED LIKE THAT

it is part of our culture, a Major part. So please i am just tryin to understand where you people are coming from,
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by panalyst(m): 9:00pm On Jun 11, 2007
debosky:

why should he wear suits at international gatherings? how does that impact the quality of discussions or the resolutions reached? stop chasing shadows my man.

it is still colonial mentality, at best a strong desire to 'fit in' or 'be among' your argument has no merit.

because Mbeki chooses not to dress traditionally doesn't mean Yar'Adua should copy him, I have never seen Yar'Adua wear a suit in his life, why on earth should he do so because he wants to go talk with some men in Europe? He is the President of Nigeria, he doesn't need to dress European. In that one area our leaders have their heads straight.

there is no such thing as 'international uniform of formality' it is a figment of your imagination. because the dominant western culture is pervasive today does not make it the 'uniform'.

the mere fact that you think he is 'disgracing' us by wearing 'bush' attire shows the root of your reasoning, suit wearing is now the defining standard of civility! the whiteman must be really glad about the work he has done on your mind!

I didnt even see your post? i wont have bothered responding to these arguements. GOOD POINT!!!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by naijaway(m): 9:06pm On Jun 11, 2007
He shouldn't wear any suit if he doesn't feel like wearing one; You make it sound like this is a secondary school type of assembly that he has to wear what others wear.  Our traditional /native clothings is way way better than the traditional rulers within that help rig elections,  hinder unity, and a form of oppression.
It boils down to the individual choice because a lot of government offical wear whatever they feel like. Even some of the saudi and other arab racist government wear their own traditional attire. Nigeria is the black capital so it would even be better if the law required the president and vice to wear any form of native wear wherever they go. But on the real they should decide whatever they want to wear.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Danmasani(m): 10:01pm On Jun 11, 2007
Alot of stupid thinking in this forum. Our leaders should wear suit as that appears 'formal'. Formal my ass! What makes an Agbada or Babanrida informal in an international gathering. This is simply a case of 'Gringory going oyinbo". Yar'adua and all our leaders must be commended for wearing their robes on the international stage. Mbeki can wear all the suits he wants, i don't give a hoot about that. The case where we think our culture is inferior or what we wear, eat or say is deemed not befitting is the stupidest of comments uttered by a black man in the 21st century.
I turn eyes when i wear my Kaftan to church here. Bleep off if u dont like it!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 11, 2007
the agbada/babanriga is the embodiment of our sartorial consciousness. Kudos Umaru Yar'Adua for not letting Naija down!!!

@ Topic

Liberate yourselves from the shackles of neo-colonialism.

Haven't you seen Muammar Gaddaffi in his flowing robes?  cool
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by watchung: 11:00pm On Jun 11, 2007
This isn't about preserving our culture and what not. The Japanese, Chinese and others have a culture thousands of years before ours yet they still dress in suits because it is the international form of dressing for diplomacy and business. I think he'd look a lot sharper and ready for buisness in a suit. However, I do think he should dress in whatever he feels comfortable in, be it the babanriga or some other formal atire. If I was in charge though every govt worker must be decked out in suits with ties to match because it looks a lot more professional and nothing more. lol

p.s we also need to get above this talk of trying to copy the whiteman/neo-colonialism and what not because its not. In my opinion its about looking business ready and the babanriga doesn't cut it. Before all the assault(s), remember its just my opinion.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by debosky(m): 11:07pm On Jun 11, 2007
you guys claiming it is the 'international form of dressing', who made it so?? enough of this shallow reasoning, If Bush decides to go to the G8 meeting dressed as a clown, do you think they wouldn't listen to him? he is still the president of America, whether he wears briefs or boxers, there is nothing 'professional' about wearing suits and ties, it is a white way of dressing, period!

this is not a matter of whether others have culture or not, this is the way our President chooses to dress, in order to reflect his background, others can do as they wish!

in this age when govt workers around the world are being told to shelve their formal attire to save energy for the summer months you would insist everyone wore suits and ties in 30C weather? no wonder we haven't progressed, with this backward thinking going on here.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by superman(m): 5:29am On Jun 12, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
some ppl are just losing their touch!

nonesense! serious kolo mentality, slavery mentality!

u are wearing suit cus u think u are oyibo or something

u be surprised how much respect he get than koffi anna on suit.

by the way u thing u are talkin sense but u not hence ur chinese analogy is a bull$hit

and by the way how come chinese got different new year, i think its a disgrace to ppl like u

na u dey disgrace urself

god bles nigeria

yeye
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by rowlandwhy: 8:38am On Jun 12, 2007
If wearing agbada is portraying Nigeria's culture, tradition, whatever,
Why is it  not introduced to be an official dress codes in Banks, schools, govt offices in Nigeria.

Why is it that most job interview's dress code happens to fall on wearing suits and dressing  english even the one involved in the sector of culture and tourism in Nigeria.

To me, Once again, i am not against wearing natives as i have and like wearing them, but not in some international gatherings ,
I know Nigerian culture is being like audu or adamu but in some occasions lets try to cover our adamu / audu-ness a little.
Thanks
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by superman(m): 9:11pm On Jun 12, 2007
nonesense!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by McKren(m): 9:22pm On Jun 12, 2007
As far as am concerned, its not enough to wear agbada to International Fora.
Displaying love for Nigeria but at the slightest opportunity we will betray our National Interest, at the slightest opportunity they will bank our money in Swiss Banks.

National Identity and Interests is not about wearing Agbada.
Why I do not subscribe to compelling them to wear suits. I think they should wear whatever they find comfortable including suits.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by ayefele200(m): 9:24pm On Jun 12, 2007
McKren:

As far as am concerned, its not enough to wear agbada to International Fora.
Displaying love for Nigeria but at the slightest opportunity we will betray our National Interest, at the slightest opportunity they will bank our money in Swiss Banks.

National Identity and Interests is not about wearing Agbada.
Why I do not subscribe to compelling them to wear suits. I think they should wear whatever they find comfortable including suits.
i agree with that but disagrre again, imagine OBASANJO in suit,, imagine how awful and irritating he;s gonna be, or all those glutton leaders, with fat belly, i think AGBADA, is still the best,
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by McKren(m): 9:30pm On Jun 12, 2007
ayefele200:

i agree with that but disagrre again, imagine OBASANJO in suit,, imagine how awful and irritating he;s going to be, or all those glutton leaders, with fat belly, i think AGBADA, is still the best,

That is why I suggest they should wear whatever they are comfortable with.
Not disguising it  as National Identity or interest, there are more important National Intersts we jeorpadize.

Look at Governor of Cross River State, he did not wear their traditional attire to public functions but yet he arguably performed more than any Governor in Nigeria.

Leadership is not about trivialising issues and playing on cheap sentiments to score cheap political points.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by watchung: 11:28pm On Jun 12, 2007
@ Superman abi na Spiderman be your name, I don't know if you were refering to me as per "Chinese Analogy" well if u were I'd just like to take time out to show how Idiotic your assertions are re: "Kolo Mentality".  Na you dey Kolo big time. If you knew how to read, well you'd see that I wrote and said he should wear whatever he so chooses and was only stating my own personal preference in dressing business ready.

u are wearing suit cus u think u are oyibo or something

Well I guess with your kind of reasoning you probably don't wear any western oriented clothing. Shows how shallow you are. You should probably think before you write. I wonder what you are doing in the white mans land if you are so in love with Africa.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by MILITIA(f): 11:33pm On Jun 12, 2007
You go boy! See our presido looking "snazzy" in his white regalia! cool At least Y'ardua is displaying some automomy. Kudos! This our outfit that is envied by other races! Look at all the others in suit--- no difference! Go Y'ardua! Thank you for maintaining that part of OBJ's legacy! wink
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by dgb4(m): 8:36am On Jun 13, 2007
shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by dgb4(m): 8:38am On Jun 13, 2007
Superman is taking things too personal here
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by angel101(f): 9:21am On Jun 13, 2007
Our traditional clothes are infact a national identity which we should not let go of as we have all others. For christs sake how does the agbada/babanriga affect input in matters discussed at these international events? we should learn to be comfortable in who/what we are.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Beline(f): 11:26am On Jun 13, 2007
@angel101
If you are attending a party and you happen to be the only one dress in a different attire, how will you feel? or can you wear it to an office if you were a banker. They said agbada is our culture I wonder when Nigeria accepted the wearing of agbada as their traditional attire, remember that Nigeira is a diverse country with diverse culture.

We are talking about uniformity here
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Beline(f): 11:29am On Jun 13, 2007
MILITIA:

You go boy! See our presido looking "snazzy" in his white regalia! cool At least Y'ardua is displaying some automomy. Kudos! This our outfit that is envied by other races! Look at all the others in suit--- no difference! Go Y'ardua! Thank you for maintaining that part of OBJ's legacy! wink

at least you can hand pick your president without wasting time LOL
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by babasin(m): 11:33am On Jun 13, 2007
when you are in Rome; you do like Romans.
grin
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by angel101(f): 1:58pm On Jun 13, 2007
Beline:

@angel101
If you are attending a party and you happen to be the only one dress in a different attire, how will you feel? or can you wear it to an office if you were a banker. They said agbada is our culture I wonder when Nigeria accepted the wearing of agbada as their traditional attire, remember that Nigeira is a diverse country with diverse culture.

We are talking about uniformity here

If i went to a party and no one else had on wht i wore, i would feel like a star!
u cannot wear agbada to the office because our way of dressing has been colonised. not to mention the fact that traditional attire is avtually worn in first bank on fridays.

b4 the white men came would u have dreamt up the suit? i think not.

i dont know who u claim said agbada is our traditional attire, certainly not me (u may want to read my post over) but at the end of the day, thats my opinion and stand, definitely different from yours.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line / Tribunal Upholds Yahaya Bello's Election / Private Sector To Take Over Abuja, Lagos Stadia Soon – Dalung

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.